• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old Moves, New Uses

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Hey folks, I don't make a whole lot of threads because I'm a busy dude and my free forum time is usually spent updating the video thread, but I wanted to throw in my two cents about the things I see and don't see.

Being that I watch every video that Yoshi puts on the Smash forums, I am in a pretty good position to judge what kinds of things tend to breed success, and what things don't.

That said, believe it or not, I also PLAY the game and try to incorporate the things I see that are working. However, everyone has their own style and finds ways to make the things they see work in their own way, which is what makes the game fun and every match a unique experience.

To get to the point, here are some things I don't see in a lot of videos, perhaps not because people don't KNOW about them, but because they're not mainstream or high profile techniques. Some of them aren't even advanced enough to be called an "advanced technique," but every little thing helps.

1. ETS - Everyone should know how this works and how to operate it by now. What I don't see people doing in the videos they post is mixing up the direction of the toss and the slide. ETS isn't such a primitive move like a lot of Yoshis seem to think. Nearly every ETS I see is someone running and tossing an egg in the opposite direction, which was its original intention, and is its primary function for the most part.

But that's not all. When you run and toss an egg forward, you slide with the momentum and approach the opponent, leaving yourself vulnerable for punishment. Try the ETS, but reverse the direction a SECOND time, throwing it forward. This stops your momentum, pushing you backwards the slightest bit, and allowing you to throw the egg in the direction you were running.

2. This leads me to my next point: Nintendo put a lot of time and effort into creating the physics of momentum in Brawl, and Yoshi is perhaps the most drastically affected by it. You've probably noticed how often-times you'll throw an egg the wrong direction and be propelled backwards for it, sometimes farther away from the ledge. On the same token, throwing eggs behind you can propel your momentum forward. This is simple stuff, but it pains me to say that it's taken advantage of very little. Directional influence plays a HUGE part of Yoshi's air game, let's try playing around with how he reacts to specials in the air.

If you've ever studied Karamity's videos, you'll notice how a lot of his game hinges on abusing the abnormal patterns of momentum Yoshi has. More recently, Bwett has done some really interesting things with double-jump-canceled specials.

Some of the fun tricks I've toyed with include running towards the ledge, short hopping and using a reverse egg lay by directionally influencing backwards before the move. If done right, you'll land on the stage but slide the rest of the way onto the ledge.

3. Speaking of directionally influenced specials... ALL specials can be reversed in the air without double-jumping. In fact, it is possible to short hop and egg lay in both directions before landing. As someone who has watched nearly all 400 Yoshi videos on the boards and many, many others, I can assert that this information is tragically under-appreciated.

4. Ledge-hogging and invulnerability are a key part of the smash series in general. Yoshi can renew the ledge-invulnerability by dropping slightly and using his down-B. You'll notice that before he spikes downwards, he floats up a bit, and it's kind of absurd how far away you can be while still grabbing the ledge. This is so simple that there is no excuse not to abuse this more.

5. Momentum-canceled Up-Smashes, you say? When you run and use a move, you tend to slide, which can occasionally put you either in punishment range OR past an opponent who may be dropping from above. You can come to a complete dead stop with a running Up-smash if you input the controls of Snake's mortar slide. If you don't know, the easiest way to perform this is to (while running) hit up on the joystick, and directly afterward, hit Z+down on the C-stick simultaneously.

The point of this thread is to remind people that the Dragonic Reverse isn't the only technique we can be trying to advance with. We need to keep our minds open to every aspect of Yoshi's technical game, because this is merely scratching the surface of things I plan to get off my chest.

I'll be updating periodically with other basic or older techniques that can be utilized in new or inventive ways.

Please discuss!

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Isnt the mortar slide down on c stick and then up and Z. Or are you 2 steps ahead of me?

I think bigman40 has a video of the down b edgehog thing.

bigman40

Smash Master
Good **** Jile. I've been trying to look at the older things that Yoshi has and I've been trying to apply them to my game. Although,] some are taking longer to find out than others >.>;

Yeayuhz! I've reached 2k!

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Yea I know mortar slide is what im talking about. I was just confused cause i thought you were talking about something else. Its c stick down and up and Z.

bigman40

Smash Master
we should probly do more research into jab cancels
As much as I would love to, the setup for it is really ugly. You have to have your opponent in the air when you jab him cause opponents can PS anything else that we can attempt when they're on the ground when you jab them. Jab canceling is good when you get them where they need to be, cause you combo it into DownB, Dtilt/Ftilt/Utilt/Dsmash. Aynthing else is too long cause it'll get shielded

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
-Short hop egg throw to a double jump egg throw. (Double Egg)

You get two eggs out faster. It can be used as an alternative approach.

You can short hop egg throw forward and double jump backwards and reverse egg throw , this will sometimes cause both eggs to hit at almost the same time ( I think, I havent played in a while so I cant remember).

-Short hop egg throw to a jab/tilt.

You can hit a jab/tilt at almost the exact same time the egg hits so there will be no knock back from the egg. Its good since it'll catch the opponent off guard.

-Jabs followed by short hopping away and wavebouncing(i dunno terms I just do it)/egglay forward.

Egg lay (whether it is b-reversed or wavebounced/double jump cancelled forward/backwards; again I dont know the specific terms for these cause I'm dumb) should just be used more in general. Good use of egg lays will add a whole new dimention to Yoshi's game.

I think I may have wrote all this for nothing, cause I didnt bother reading the first post and dont even know the topic of this thread (sorry Jile :dizzy:). But anyways try this stuff on your friends, it'll be fun!

I LIEK TO USE YOSHI!

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
i Didnt Bother Reading The First Post And Dont Even Know The Topic Of This Thread (sorry Jile :dizzy:).
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I used to hate down tilt but I love it lots recently.

In the same strain, trying to find a new way to incorporate forward smash into my game. If it hits, it's a far more reliable KO move than upsmash, but the delay before the hitbox comes out is funky. Still working on it, but using it mostly as a low percent combo finisher for now.

It can, however, destroy short tech rolls. OH MAN

Top Bottom