• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Great post Po, of course we are the Nintendo generation and have a specific deeply embedded hardcore element to our lives... but why would you jump OVER the first goomba in world 1-1 instead of jumping on it?

I would also say that OoT was one of the more substantial Zelda games, and perhaps Wind Waker belongs to the more casual generation. Both excellent titles of course. I know that my 17 year old brother beat WW before any other zelda, and has played alot more brawl than melee. Kids these days...

I also recommend Vanquish..po. Its short, but amazing (of course not shorter than people like us are used to, 10 hours is quite a treat if its a mechanically sublime 10 hours.)

Edit: also chrono trigger ftw! I've always wanted to cosplay Captain N and Simon Belmont at that! I think I'm aging a bit too much to be Chrono anymore. Made myself a nice rainbow blade and shell though.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Oh my Jeebus... MELEE! BRAWL! MELEE! BRAWL! Who the **** even cares anymore?
At this point its just silly to continue the argument... Alex, we just have to face facts that this generation is different. The people that enjoy Brawl and these new-age, slower, casual-friendly games did not grow up with games like we did.
was tom the only person who even read my post? i never compared the quality of melee to brawl. i said that in a game where there is low gravity, short hitstun, and a high opportunity for constant dodging/camping (brawl is obv. not the only example of this last point), it might be in the best interest of the competitive community to consider a revision of the rules when these factors culminate into a metagame that has manifested into constant timeouts.

i was happy to be corrected about how the sonics were legitimately winning most of their matches and that winning by timeout was often a counter to opponents trying to time them out, but my point stands. and there was really no reason for other people (unless someone can point out where i turned it into melee v brawl other than to point out the above factors) to get hella butthurt instead of just disagreeing with what i had to say. that link is hilarious, though, in the sense that i really don't understand the part of the brawl community that takes pride in being butthurt over some melee players sentiments. i think it's pretty pathetic and about as funny as dane cook. then again i also don't understand the part of the melee community that constantly talks **** on brawl and doesn't see the parallel between that and what they defend when SF or marvel players talk **** on them. they're also pretty pathetic. it's like watching a cripple fight when the two groups clash.

awesome that my suggestion had 1 feedback and randomly sparked a melee v brawl convo, though. LOL. then again the oklahoma melee and brawl scenes are generally pretty polarized other than po, yawara, kuni, and me...so it was way more mild than i've seen in the past. more importantly, oklahoma repped decently, and i'm proud of you guys. can't wait to play everyone in all three smash games this winter :D

also: http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/11/07/free-tacos-at-jack-in-the-box/78788/
^ that is the most important part of my post

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
/convo

Forest, I like playing teams with you in both games. Maybe this Wednesday I can steal you away from Bryan for a bit so we can reunite our floaty characters that are too cool to wavedash.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I'll play Brawl with you for 10 minutes Alex...then we are playing a game I can actually beat you at, BECAUSE I FAIL AT FIGHTING GAMES! :(

Accepting all Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 money matches...

j/k. Game is broken as ****

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Nah, its cool, Alex... I guess my old 'here we go' reflex kicked in and I went into 'old-school gamer rant' mode.
It's just that the disconnect is so huge between new age and old style gamers... and, as someone who has always (either by choice of character, or just being surrounded by much better players) had to work his hardest just to compete, I am very easily annoyed whenever I see someone who plays an 'easy mode' game berate a game that takes more work than 'hit a guy and run for 8 minutes, and when he catches you, rinse and repeat.' That was one long run-on sentence but my point is not to bash either game, I am just really saddened and frustrated by gaming as a whole these days.

All this influx of casual gamer money has allowed developers (and by extension, gamers) to become lazy. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's laziness. It's part of why I don't play all that often... The inherent laziness that pervades everything these days. I mean, why work your *** off to provide a deep, meaningful gaming experience, when people are just going to play your game for 10-12 hours, and either beat it, or get frustrated and quit, and move on to the next $60 'masterpiece?'

Same thing applies to the 'competitive gamer'... Why work your *** off mastering all aspects of Peach in Brawl, when you can just pick Metaknight, put in that same amount of work(probably less), and dominate every tournament in your local area? *Before anybody starts throwing around ADHD, Espy, MikeHaze, or any other non-Metaknight super-player, think about the people they play regularly and the areas those guys come from, and then tell me who you think can beat them, then remember that M2K is still the winningest player in Brawl and who his main is*
Point is, hard work is becoming less emphasised in these games due to poor design choices on the part of the developers, and its more about abusing flaws in the system/character movesets than it is about learning matchups and playing intelligently. Not saying that M2K doesn't work hard... I mean it takes a lot of guts/determination to completely ruin a community for your own personal gain.../loves taking shots at Jason

Let me stop typing, because it's making my blood boil... Now, I remember why I no longer bother to 'compete' these days-- Everyone has their differing opinions on what makes a game good and/or competitive, and my side is sadly now in the minority these days.

*Goes back to lurking/playing for the lulz*

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Alright testing myself on how fast I can put this mofo together. The administration of izumicon seems to be oblivious to how long it takes to get a series of tournaments together. On thursday of last week I was informed that they wanted me to run the gaming room, I said thats fine but I need a badge and I can't provide consoles. Well after alot of email exchanges I was told I would be provided a room for bring your own console tournaments.

So were going to do BYOC melee+brawl teams and solo. I'm sur e ppl will want Street Fighter IV and Guitar Hero but I just don't have the resources to provide those.

Anyone going to Izumicon should bring a melee+brawl setup at let me use it. Of course you should enter as well, 5 dollars per tourney. No venue fee with setup.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i dunno how i forgot to mention bryan. bryan is like the least partial person to melee/brawl ever. and he's hella legit at both. that's a true gamer right there.

I'll play Brawl with you for 10 minutes Alex...then we are playing a game I can actually beat you at, BECAUSE I FAIL AT FIGHTING GAMES! :(
third strike, melty blood, brawl, blazblu, guilty gear??: you
mvc2, tekken 6, melee, garou, umk3??: me
looks like we're going to have to settle this with the ultimate fighting game. for all the marbles. a single match in WAR GODS! because i refuse to play soul calibur.

layin' down the law
yeah, dude, i know you only had good intentions :D

this convention sounds interesting. unfortunately i am 1600 miles away. some new videos from out here on the east coast will be up on my account during thanksgiving break btw...for anyone interested be sure to check out mah channel :o

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
****ing still hate Mario kart. On the other hand, GT is FINALLY COMING OUT OMGGGGG

As for the brawl vs melee debate that just spawned?

LOL.

That being said, no offense to brawl players, but melee's got my attention now. Bryan's too cause that ***** is partial as **** lol I mean, I'll play Brawl if someone asked me to, but melee's my one true love. I don't think I'll ever encounter a game that I'll find more interesting than melee.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Okay guys, time to build bridges.

This weekend, there's gonna be a smashfest and both brawl and melee players are invited so players can play both games. Also, there will be an N64 (maybe 2) with Smash 64 on them and Mario Party 2. Who's interested??

Just the same weekly get togethers melee players have except brawl is more than invited.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I would if I didn't have work this weekend.

I'll gladly supply a Mario Party 3 cartridge and Mario Tennis cartridge if you would like them for the weekend, though.

Shade_

Smash Ace
DUDE MARIO TENNIS IS THE BEST!!!! Especially with friends! Power tennis is good too.

Like I said, this weekend is bad for me too. I hope it has a nice turnout though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Eh, I don't commend the gameplay of Mario Tennis that much. But that's probably because Motoi Sakuraba was in God-mode with the game's soundtrack that I completely forget to play it.

Someone will have to remind me to go back home sometime before Thursday so I can get the cartridges. I have work on Friday as well.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Where is Izumicon? What time is this going on?
Also, would love to come get ***** at Melee this weekend, as long as I don't have work (and I'll be very pissed off if I do). I'll find out my schedule tomorrow. Where at?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I think I've always resented the N64 as a console because of things like blue shells and power shots <_<

It's also probably because everyone else I played with knew all of the glitches that went with N64 games, like Mario Kart, which made it woefully unfair for me.

We should all just play Little Big Planet or Wario Ware for the cube instead.

Also I love tennis games without the ridiculous because it gets really nerve wrecking when you return a million times.

[edit]

We should also play Fighting Force for the PS1 <____< Probably my favorite multiplayer game for the ps1 cause it was like one of the only ones

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I was on that **** forever. Dreamcast is actually the best multiplayer console probably because of that and Power Stone.

Also Wario Ware is da BOMB for the gamecube. It ****ing blows on every other platform though.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
you forgot gauntlet legends. you need to join in on the game grant, kp, and i started before i left. we should play through it all the next time we're both in oklahoma (have no idea how long you'll be in LA this winter). and tons of virtua tennis. and nfl blitz 2000. and daytona usa. and quake. omfg this library is so pro!

po pimpus

Smash Ace
No you didn't just say Gauntlet Legends... **** is legit. Next time you come down, Alex, I'll bring my PS3 and we can all run through Scott Pilgrim VS The World on 4-player... Its a blast, but we'll need a someone to bring a couple of extra PS3 controllers as I only have two (and an arcade stick, lol)

As for this weekend, I have work, but I'll see what I can do...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I remember one time me and my friend spent like six bucks worth of quarters on gauntlet legends on the DC lol Love that game.

[edit]

DC? I meant arcade lol

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
No you didn't just say Gauntlet Legends... **** is legit. Next time you come down, Alex, I'll bring my PS3 and we can all run through Scott Pilgrim VS The World on 4-player... Its a blast, but we'll need a someone to bring a couple of extra PS3 controllers as I only have two (and an arcade stick, lol)
yeah, dude, gauntlet legends is the bomb.
i have 2 ps3 controllers :D it's a plan. my brother-in-law actually bought it for 360, but i never got that far. only like 2 bosses. so i totally need to play through it all.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
Someone money match me in Melty Blood! :o

I'm not that good...honest

EDIT: I have a PS3 controller and 3 arcade sticks. :D

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Is this an okay level set for brawl?
Neutral:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi Story
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter-pick:
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Lylat
Halberd
Isle Delfino
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Jungle Japes
Pokemon Stadium 2 and all Neutral.

I personally dislike Halberd and Pokemon Stadium 2...and some may dislike jungle japes.

I'm also curious about commonly banned tactics like metaknight stageglide stalls, excessive ledgegrabbing, and DDD infinite grabs that are in MLG and WHOBO rules. Any opinions?

Top Bottom