• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Lol.

Hey foo's... I know I've been kinda inactive on the Smash front (Sorry, Chris), but work has been really grinding on me.

However, with all of this downtime, I've managed to find a small, but growing group of OKies on Gamefaqs(lol, I know) that are trying to put together a Wi-Fi circle for Brawl.

The topic is here: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41301077

It's not a clan, or any of that nonsense, just a bunch of guys trying to establish a strong local scene for Wi-Fi Brawls. I told them about our little rag-tag bunch, and they seem interested. Pop in, pass along your FC's to Syllabik(I think that's his SN), and let's welcome these newcomers into OK Smash!

Let's show them how we GET BIG in Oklahoma! Yeah, you know, MARIO BIG!!
Sounds cool. I think we'll have an even better community, starting in...

...24 days.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I'll say hi to the gamefaqs people then. Oh, so me and my brother had this idea, that with our spare time, an hour or so a day, we are going to be working on a fun little thing, called making stages in the shape of all 50 states. So then i can be like, "Hey we should fight in texas this time" lol actually its not for that, but I think it will be fun.

Oh yeah saying how good we are online is just a joke, I doubt anyone really cares until you see how much they really own in person. But I hate comparing to others, which is why I don't play competitively anymore lol.

Still I agree with sars that we are prtty lucky that almost every smash player we have met is pretty cool, and are pretty cool even if we get owned and 4stocked by someone *cough chris.

S

Syllabik

Syllabik here, Pimpus is right. I'm trying to get a strong local Wifi connection so we can play online. I mean, in all ways Brawling in person is cool but since we can't always be Brawling in person I thought a Wifi Group would be a cool thing. I've got about 7 people signed up now, if all of you guys would want to kind of.... merge I suppose, we'd have a pretty strong group of people ready to Brawl at any time.

Like Pimpus said, I've got a list of people that have signed up and used their Wii FC as some sort of confirmation/identification. If you guys wanted you could send me your Wii FC to syllabik@gmail.com and I'd hook the whole list up and mass mail it out to everyone.

Hey, even if not, its always nice to know more Smashers from Oklahoma. I'll probably hang around here anyway....

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Hahahaha, I gotta change the thread name now, and no, I cant spell backwards.

Drew is too good.

DoH, I still wanna MM you. I just wish SOMEBODY here could play peach well enough so I could practice against that person with Jiggs, but it seems NOBODY in OK is good enough with Peach to play against Jiggs...

Syllabik, we are setting up our Wii-fi now, Ill let you know when its all good.

S

Syllabik

I've never played in a tournament before. Are they always in OKC? I live in Tulsa.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Hahaha, Well I dont wanna change the title again. I havent seen you post in a while drew. Looks like you might be getting a little sloppy in the whole "Keeping the OK thread in check", weve been spamming it up.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Not always in OKC, but a lot of guys live in OKC. No offense but a lot of the Tulsa crowd sucks lol

And WTF Kuni, the competitive element was all that made smash fun. I have more fun doing 1 vs 1s then ffas with items in all honesty. I don't care if I lose, I just like doing them. Love it everytime you get a combo that works, and I love the WTF feeling that happens when someone pulls off a totally random BS combo on me (three reverse nairs, 4 stock with 4 spikes, etc).

If I play Brawl, it won't be because I want to do FFAs. It's because I want to have fun playing it, and competition is the only real way I can do that. Otherwise, I'd get bored of Brawl just like every other videogame. I mean, Melee is the ONLY game I play anyway, and it's because of the community and the competition. Take away either of those things, and I doubt I'd continue to play.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Im in with Yawara, the compitition made the game what it was really. Except I ****ING hate losing, thats why Im only playing the best characters in Brawl, maybe in friendlies Ill play characters that I actually like.

Gravity

Smash Ace
yeah. i only get my best combos (and therefore have the most fun) in 1v1 or 2v2 with tourny rules. occasionally items are fun, and personally i enjoy banned stages, but at the core competition is what i crave.

however, i dont see how brawl could not be competitve. . .since 2 people enter a match and one wins. thats basically the definiton of competition.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
however, i dont see how brawl could not be competitve. . .since 2 people enter a match and one wins. thats basically the definiton of competition.
Chu dat.

I got into Smash because of competition, but I'm generally open to any kind of play. I always like 1v1s, 2v2s are good, and at the right time an item match on a banned stage is pretty fun. I think Brawl will offer even more thrills, since it has so many different modes, including a high-gravity mode which could change the workings of the game completely, yet still be serious.

Brawl videos are so fun to watch. And red Meta Knight is awesome.

And lol at the thread title.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I play is because it's just fun...
I don't play to win, I play for the fun of the game,
New rules, new techniques, etc and whatnot, that all added a new level for my enjoyment, as if the game wasn't fun enough in the beginning.
Tourneys, playing against new people, learning new ****, MEETING people from all over the country/world.
Melee is just something I could really get into, it's way more fun than Halo, (although I admit that I play a few games every now and then) and of course I'm a lot better at it than Halo
But it's a game that I play for fun, and in the end isn't that what it was meant for?

Gravity

Smash Ace
man, if i could afford to have my own title, it would totally be

Just a theory?

i cant believe i never thought of that before.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
If I could raise money for my own title.......I would be imagining something in my mind about myself in which I would have the capacity to do certain acts to receive donations or profit for some type of value and I would be pondering what would happen if that amount of value matched the price in which it would take to create my own title.

wut?

Smash Apprentice
Well first of all they finnaly showed luigi on dojo thats awsome. whats even better is iv'e had that flu thing thats been going around for a week and finaly the day i feel well enough to go back to school i throw up in front of like 30 people but thats just reminder if any cares which probly not. if i had the patince to raise the money it would probly be Y yes i im that guy! p.s is any going down this weekend

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ooo ok gotcha alex....ill still accept that challenge...i havent faught you since the first time i housed Coty...OHSNAP1 lol. id like to see me play you again although im sure i know the outcome...its been awhile

Gravity

Smash Ace
If i wanted to make a nair combo video, who would help me get footage. itd only be a couple minutes long, but itd be cool. possibly fuse it with downsmashes, dash attacks, and fsmashes.

i also need a title.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
If i wanted to make a nair combo video, who would help me get footage. itd only be a couple minutes long, but itd be cool. possibly fuse it with downsmashes, dash attacks, and fsmashes.

i also need a title.
You should make it "9.81 m/s^2." That's the acceleration caused by Earth's gravity :o

Also, that video was pretty awesome. EXCEPT IT STOLE THE MUSIC FROM OWNED BY A PRO :crying:

22 days.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
LOL @ Babac... Always going against the grain. Although I love the new title.

Indeed, Scar's combo vid is indeed awesome. I wish I could play Falcon like that...

Oh man, it's all good in da hood, though. Hey, i think we need a tourney/smashfest/something sometime soon. I'm not really big on being super-competitive, though, but I'll see if I've got enough "PLAY TO WIN, ARRRGGGH!!" To put up a fight.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Silent Spectre is probably the best Falcon out there if Isai continues to sandbag all the time, but hes too good and can get away with it.

The video was good, but the combos werent as fluid as they were in Silence, which is why I like that one more.

invertedkaos

Smash Cadet
LOL @ Babac... Always going against the grain. Although I love the new title.

Indeed, Scar's combo vid is indeed awesome. I wish I could play Falcon like that...

Oh man, it's all good in da hood, though. Hey, i think we need a tourney/smashfest/something sometime soon. I'm not really big on being super-competitive, though, but I'll see if I've got enough "PLAY TO WIN, ARRRGGGH!!" To put up a fight.
I'd be up for some gaming sometime, though my game is rusty. Not playing for about a year will do that to ya I suppose. :)

I'm grinding back up to my old skill level, and at least its faster than completely relearning. I cant even take on a team of 9's. :(

invertedkaos

Smash Cadet
Eh, being able to do that won't help much against human opponents.

21 days.
Yea, but my timing is all off.

It helps for fundamentals. Relearning to shield properly, timing for aerials, etc. Back when I hit a reasonably high skill level, I found fundamentals to make or break my game. Heck, I used to be able to throw eggs with Yoshi with surgical precision. Not anymore. :p All of which are basic skills I need to rebuild.

Once I get reused to the controls where they seem second nature, I'll probably throw myself at some people. They still seem foreign at the moment.

Gotta crawl before I can walk. :p I think the last few years of MMO's and RPG's have withered my twitch skills.

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
i haven't played smash for more than an hour every 2 weeks and i can still beat babac's ***. Call of Duty pays off.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
i haven't played smash for more than an hour every 2 weeks and i can still beat babac's ***. Call of Duty pays off.
B-but it's Babac... :laugh:

Really though, its been too long since I saw my main man Billy. I really wished you could've gone with us to San Antonio, mangz... Sooo many great moments...

Oklahoma's really come a LOOOOONNNNNG way since way back when I first started trying to play competitive... One day, I should post up about my history with the Smash Community and the epic journey I embarked to become the most mediocre Luigi player in the World... ;)

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Po I would love to read whatever you chose to write, sounds interesting.
Auddy I like that match, keep playing! :)...I commented on it saying you should come to my next smashfest.
Heath do you check these boards anymore? I wish I would see you post a couple times.
Yea I'm thinking about having a smashfest this friday, but I'm not for sure at all yet so don't count on anything...just planting the seed.
So..I have watched some more brawl vids and I'm starting to like more of what I see. I can't wait to see what it looks like when people get even better and we actually know how to play. We should so have a brawl release party! So far I havn't seen too much edgeguarding...you guys see any videos where there is some good edgeguarding? I've seen Pit get a few off floating way off the edge and hitting someone and stopping them from recovering, but from the looks of it now everyone can recover pretty well.

Top Bottom