• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OKay, so here's the deal

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
The first two tournaments I was at....well didn't go so hot. Smashacre got me a few victories in teams my first, and....well a really bad pool the second....I mean utter destruction. I was still really learning and getting a feel for what the competition is like. This was my first tournament where I went in with all the knowlege knowing that I'd be able to say "This is it! My first REAL tournament." Now I've comboed and such before and I can FC to attacks and DJC, do all the great peachy things, but.....I just choked. -_-. I could tell that unlike the first two I was at, I got it together after the first match to turn it around for my victory in pools and in tourney, but...when put up against real samus players....I choked. I know that not having a variety of people....well pretty much, I have one person to play...and I can't take him seriously is a factor. Does the whole choking thing pass? Perhaps I'm not quick enough with execution of peach moves? Once the vids come out from COT You'll see me getting ***** by a few people and such. (I don't think ANY of my victories were caught on tape). I know I can play peach well, but is there a mental thing with her? or perhaps a timing thing? How is it you find time to get the FC off when being barraged by attacks? (Reik, and a bit of Sneak). Maybe I can get some advice? Wow....I just went out for a bit. Seriously though....did anyone else have these problems, or am I just weird?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Don't feel bad I've had the choking issue for a long time now. I mean I stopped entering tournies for about 6 months or so due to money issues. And when I went to VLS I did horrible in my pools however I did better in friendly's. Though toward the end of pools my Peach and I warmed up more so and I wasn't so anxious. I blame myself for not getting in enough friendly's and being horribly shy to ask for friendly's. But I think everyone will tell you that the choking will usually fade. But it really depends on the person...I've been around the smash community, the NY area especially for so long and I got very comfortable around everyone. However I still lack confidence in a tournament setting sadly.

For me though it has to do with the fact that I have no confidence in my Peach and I get very anxious when I play and lose concentration. But at this point I just wanna level up my Peach like everyone says I could do. So I'm gonna say just play more in a tournament setting, if you can afford to enter tournies do so at every opportunity and you're bound to get over it. Just be confident in yourself and what you can do either way. Good luck!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Heh heh heh. i'm just like that. But not so much anymore. by now I'm use to tournaments. But for some reason i am always nervous. though i dont show it. I dont usually have people in my matches rotting for me. I'm all alone on that. Maybe if you had people o that for you , you would feel better and more on point.

But yea I am the same way. but for some reason i play different if I'm playing correct wether nervous or scared. And in a good way. I'm like a whole different person. Like if you see my vids on youtube then see me up close in a tournament match you see a Big difference. I say have friends with you in your matches and give you support. that may calm you dont and play at your best.

edub

Smash Apprentice
i wish i lived in new york so i could play in as many tournies as dark pch
he's good and i'm jealous!

Cia

das kwl
getting nervous is just stupid..

what's the point?? it only makes u play bad and possibly.. costs you the match. I mean.. what is there to be nervous about?? the worst that can happen is a loss. no physical harm.

no matter who I play, I always walk in with extraordinary confidence and I've taken down some pretty big names. so if it's a mental thing that's getting in the way of your game, u need to figure out what it is that makes you nervous and is it worth it..

it gets pretty tiresome when someone is like "ooh maii gawdd, it's peetheekwiss. wud am I gunna dooo??" it's not my intention to put you down, but think about it.. "what's the worst that can happen??"

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
To Vanz, you obviously know what the NYC is like. The reason I get nervous and shy is because I don't wanna deal with the backlash of ppl putting me down cause I suck. Yeah so what's the point being in a competitive scene right? Well I try, it's not like I don't. But nervous isn't something that you can just say "HEY GO AWAY" it's obviously a feeling that needs to be overcome. So yeah while there's a factor of "What's the point?" the question is just learning to overcome the fear rather than deciding "HEY IM GONNA GET NERVOUS TODAY LOL". I mean just like people get frustrated when playing and mad, I can say "Hey what's the point?" but people still do it.

psst, this is crismas under mah bf's name lol too lazy to change.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To Vanz, you obviously know what the NYC is like. The reason I get nervous and shy is because I don't wanna deal with the backlash of ppl putting me down cause I suck. Yeah so what's the point being in a competitive scene right? Well I try, it's not like I don't. But nervous isn't something that you can just say "HEY GO AWAY" it's obviously a feeling that needs to be overcome. So yeah while there's a factor of "What's the point?" the question is just learning to overcome the fear rather than deciding "HEY IM GONNA GET NERVOUS TODAY LOL". I mean just like people get frustrated when playing and mad, I can say "Hey what's the point?" but people still do it.

psst, this is crismas under mah bf's name lol too lazy to change.
*is how Dark.Pch is sadly*

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Tournament jitters can be a problem for a lot of people. Especially if you're new. I remember when I sucked really bad, my first few tournaments were horribly nerve racking. Then there was a period of time when I really didn't get them at all. Then after that it came back.. >_> Oh well...

How to get FC off when being barraged by attacks? What you should learn is to side-b through the barrage of attacks. If you can pull it off, it's an instant win. :) Imagine this: You are up against a Falco. He tries to laser you. You just jump over the laser, and side-b him in the face. H-Cha! The game ends, this time instead of saying "Ohh, did I win?" Peach says "You are awesome!"

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
there's a legit reason to get nervous during a match.

money.

done.

I'd wonder about people who say they dont get nervous, never met one who took the game seriously at all. Getting nervous is normal, I wouldnt say encouraged but certainly something that is almost necessary. What you do under pressure is the important part. Some people crack, others thrive. One of the best compliments i've EVER gotten was this conversation with Shiz:

Me: Yeah man I get nervous during like every tournament match I play.

Shiz: Yeah whenever I play you I can always tell when you get nervous

Me: really? how?

Shiz: You're alot scarier to play when you get nervous.

thats the result you want.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I don't get nervous much anymore. Usually if I'm in a set, get to the third match, and get down to my last stock. Even if I'm winning I get nervous and start shaking everywhere.. =(
It sucks.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I guess I understand what VaNz is saying. -_- Although....I guess the suggestion to have someone around for a bit of support, at least until your more confident is true. I think that Sneak would have beaten me a lot worse if it wasn't for the fact that I had Shakugan and T-Tensai backing me up and telling me I could do it. Alex Triad might have also beaten me worse if it wasn't for the fact that VaNz told me that I'd be alright and gave me a little advice. I guess it's just a mental thing, but it does help with a tad bit of support. It's the younger brother complex, I swear, my older brother screwed me up so badly, lol. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'll take it all in.

Edit: Thank you as well Dark.Pch

Shakugan

Smash Journeyman
bro i had the same problem all you must do is realize your mistakes and inprove on they and you will break that bad habbit lol i got whooped by teczero and velocity so dont worry

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yed. Dark.pch, he is a Falco player. Oh god....don't watch that vid of me up there now....well you can, but all you'll do is laugh, it's what I did. Reik utterly ***** me.

Shakugan:
Thanks, bro. We teaming up again this weekend?

Top Bottom