• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OH SNAP! v4.0 - Sexcellente Southwest ROYAL RUMBLE! [11-22-2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
TX vs OK promo commercial for Texas:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBcguf3AdE

We brought the **** last time, expect it again.

Quote from KOS-MOS: "I just want to hit him once...YES!"

Texas has mercy.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
TX vs OK promo commercial for Texas:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBcguf3AdE

We brought the **** last time, expect it again.

Quote from KOS-MOS: "I just want to hit him once...YES!"

Texas has mercy.
Silly Hylian, that vid is almost two years old... Besides, FLT didn't even play ME. If he had, it would have gone differently-- I would have hit him TWICE-- and one of those would be a flaming uppercut of justice!

Also, you need to put some more work into your promos, Texas! Where's the creativity? The passion? Oh, wait, I forgot who I was talking to... Texas is about as creative as and innovative as Madden...

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Silly Hylian, that vid is almost two years old... Besides, FLT didn't even play ME. If he had, it would have gone differently-- I would have hit him TWICE-- and one of those would be a flaming uppercut of justice!

Also, you need to put some more work into your promos, Texas! Where's the creativity? The passion? Oh, wait, I forgot who I was talking to... Texas is about as creative as and innovative as Madden...
10 Best Games of All-time:

10. Madden '99
09. Madden '00
08. Madden '01
07. Madden '02
06. Madden '03
05. Madden '04
04. Madden '05
03. Madden '06
02. Madden '07
01. Madden '08

Medium Diet Chode

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, fellow (transplanted) Okie and OU student here. Never posted but I've been trolling for a while now. Me and some buddies were talking about hosting a SSBB tourney and then came across this one. Sounds legit but as OU students we have some concerns about the date.

I've already read that you guys are trying to cater this towards the TX crowd and that OU students will be giving "something" up (going to the game??) in order to attend but if you host this on the 22nd which is when OU plays Texas Tech AT HOME you will run into serious obstacles that will discourage a big crowd rather than encourage one.

For example, during the time you have scheduled for the tourney there will be ABSOLUTELY no parking on or within a 2-mile radius of campus. Me and a couple Smash buddies actually work on campus at a TV studio and usually run pressers and post-games for the football team. Even though we're working with passes, badges, credentials and whatnot we ALWAYS have problems parking. If you have guys trying to carry in Wiis and TVs they'll be lugging those things for a pretty long haul.

Also, the huge crowd of (non-Smash-playing) people will just inhibit our out-of-staters and off-campus people. Imagine trying to find the room in the Union when there are 80,000 people walking around on campus (including all throughout the Union). I mean, based on current rankings Texas Tech is the highest ranked opponent OU will play this year, thus drawing a much larger crowd that our already HUGE crowds.

I've already talked to the 5 or 6 guys (that aren't on the board) that would be coming with me and none of them are down to be anywhere near campus during a game as big as this one will undoubtedly be. I know you guys probably don't care about a bunch of dudes that you don't know, but surely we're not the only Smash players that will be avoiding campus that day. Your tourney would be MUCH bigger if you rescheduled even one week before or after the 22nd.

Just my two cents, guys. I really hope me and my boys get to meet/play you. We're excited to find that w're not the only Smash nerds in lame Okie.

Medium Diet Chode

Smash Rookie
Additionally, people will undoutedly be wandering in to see what's going on - and maybe that's one thing you guys are considering as an advantage - but I see it as a disadvantage. First, they will just be getting in the way of an already cramped space. Plus, with more looky-loos there is always the potential that someone will find a way to walk out with someone's gear or games. This may not be as big a problem as I'm proposing but it's something to think about nonetheless.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Hey guys, fellow (transplanted) Okie and OU student here. Never posted but I've been trolling for a while now. Me and some buddies were talking about hosting a SSBB tourney and then came across this one. Sounds legit but as OU students we have some concerns about the date.
Here is the transcript of the PM conversation I had with your compatriot The Venus Trotter earlier today that mostly addresses your concerns as well as our reasoning for this date:

Le_THieN said:
The Venus Trotter said:
You should switch the date of the tournament. The 22nd is the same date of the Texas Tech home game and I think you'd get a lot more people to come if it wasn't during a home game. I've talked to about 4 of my friends and they said they couldn't make it if it was during the football game.
Sorry, I can't. I've already booked the venue, and I already have participants from Texas who have already confirmed that date and bought bus tickets, etc. I'm a reasonably ardent football fan myself, and I watch games three or four nights a week during the season, but based on the mission statement of the tournament (the revival of state crew battles between us and Texas), this was the only feasible date I could do this on.

As much as I'd love to be there in person to watch our newly energized O-line destroy Tech out of vengeance for last year's debacle (and SARS too, because he's an even bigger football fan than I am and we're both organizing this tournament), I have to say that I'm honestly more interested in playing some of the top players in the country without having to travel anywhere. I can settle with having the game on one of the TVs in the room.

Besides, I've been out in the tournament field in most of the major areas of Oklahoma, and I know for a fact that those kids I've seen and played with are on lock to participate in the tournament. Most of the video game demographic here in this state could care less about college or professional sports, and although it's unfortunate that people like you and me are caught in the middle, decisions like this sometimes have to be made.

Anyway, this is going to be, hands down, the biggest and most important tournament Oklahoma will see in a long time. Think about that before you decide to skip out on us. And if you do...well, your loss. =) Good luck.

-- H.
Like I said, I love football, but we've already engendered enough interest from gamers all around the metro area who are otherwise not interested in the football game. I fully support your decision to go watch Sam Bradford and the Sooner Squad go beat some Red Raider ***, but I'm not going to flip the script on committed out-of-staters by changing the date just so you guys can go to Gaylord Stadium for the day would be a fatal networking abuse on my part. We have all season to go to football games, and the Tech game (for as big as it is) is a sacrifice I'm very willing to make for the sake of promoting the flourish of a budding tournament scene here in Oklahoma and the Southwest in general.

EDIT: I misread your previous statement. I assumed that you guys wanted to go the game, but you guys just don't want to be anywhere near campus during this game day. Which, if you enjoy playing Smash and have the opportunity to participate in probably the biggest tournament the state has ever seen, kind of makes little to no sense to me.

Firstly, SARS and I have already come up with solutions for most of your concerns. Since we're single-handedly housing all of the TX participants, there will be no need for them to drive to or from the venue. Secondly, the few of us that have cars plan on leaving our cars in the parking garage right next to the venue a day or two in advance so that we can guarantee spots after we vacate. Thirdly, I've already reserved a space in the Union on the third floor in the Heritage Room, away from the disturbance of passerbys (although I originally tried to reserve either the Will Rogers Food Court or Crossroads Lounge because I wanted to try to rope in a few bystanders for easy money).

Anyway, having five or six of you guys take part would be excellent, but if you guys are so adamant about going to a video game tournament on a game day that you probably just wouldn't show up, then it truly is your loss. This is the first time in well over a year that Oklahoma will be housing all this talent in a single room, and you guys won't even make the attempt to show up on account of urban claustrophobia or being socially asphyxiated by an open public (that won't even be present for the most part)? At least I'd go to the game.

Anyway, I hope you guys reconsider, but again, this will be your loss. On a separate note, there is a Smash-fest going on at my apartment as I'm typing this, so for any of you guys interested in playing with us in the Norman area, PM me with your cell # and I'll give you a call.

Gravity

Smash Ace
on that note, if parking is going to be as bad as has been said, hows this going to go down? are we just all gonna park at your place and walk over or something?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
We're gonna park at strategic places earlier so then we can shuttle people across. Tom and Hanson's car and maybe someone else's will be at OU, and then we'll just keep going back and forth.

Medium Diet Chode

Smash Rookie
Hey Thien, I think you misunderstood where I was coming from. We are definitely NOT football fans. We don't care about the game and would much rather be at the tournament. We are only concerned about parking and the massive crowd that will be in and around the Union and campus in general.

I understand (and we figured) that you guys already had everything booked and people coming, etc. For future tournaments it might be wise to take game-day Saturdays into consideration.

Myself, The Venus Trotter, and a few of our boys may or may not be willing to fight the crowds to participate, though we really want to. We'll let you know what we decide.

EDIT: Thien, I read your edit. No need to be butt-hurt over our collective "urban claustrophobia"....we just don't like football crowds. Personally, I value my whip too much to park it anywhere near 80,000 drunken redneck football fans that will undoubtedly door ding it into infinity. I can't speak for why the other guys feel "socially asphyxiated". Thanks for the smash-fest offer....we are actually planning on playing on some of the monitors at our studio tonight though we might hit you up and see what's poppin' !!!

We're gonna park at strategic places earlier so then we can shuttle people across. Tom and Hanson's car and maybe someone else's will be at OU, and then we'll just keep going back and forth.
Do you guys live on campus? Where exactly will you guys be shuttling people from? You know there won't be parking within a half-mile radius of the stadium (the Union), right?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Hey Thien, I think you misunderstood where I was coming from. We are definitely NOT football fans. We don't care about the game and would much rather be at the tournament. We are concerned about parking and the massive crowd that will be in and around the Union and campus in general.

I understand (and we figured) that you guys already had everything booked and people coming, etc. For future tournaments it might be wise to take game-day Saturdays into consideration.

Myself, The Venus Trotter, and a few of our boys may or may not be willing to fight the crowds to participate, though we really want to. We'll let you know what we decide.

Do you guys live on campus? Where exactly will you guys be shuttling people from?
Haha, yeah, I did, and I actually already edited my original post correcting myself. Anyway, we live five minutes away from campus (at the University Greens), and our complex actually has shuttles that they are willing to cart us around in. I've got it all planned out. =)

Anyway, do you guys want to come to the Smash-fest tonight? We've already started. If you're interested, you can pull my cell # off the front page of this tournament invitation and drop me one for directions.

Medium Diet Chode

Smash Rookie
Haha, yeah, I did, and I actually already edited my original post correcting myself. Anyway, we live five minutes away from campus (at the University Greens), and our complex actually has shuttles that they are willing to cart us around in. I've got it all planned out. =)

Anyway, do you guys want to come to the Smash-fest tonight? We've already started. If you're interested, you can pull my cell # off the front page of this tournament invitation and drop me one for directions.
Dude, the shuttle from UGreens idea is AWESOME. Will they let non-residents ride??

See above re: smash-fest tonight.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Billy like when billy get housed in state that billy don't live in.
You know what else Billy likes? Losing arm wrestling to Jeremy.

Infinity, Kefka MM?
Check out my new sig, yo. My buddy SrsC@ pimped it out for me xD

Hey Hanson, I hear the Longhorns are gonna 3 stock OU. It's almost like Texas players have a habit of 3 stocking Oklahoma players, especially with money on the line :p

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ok im there. ill money match good ol' GT or Po... i got my own house dwn there as well so no need to have housing for the irish dude.
AS FOR THE TEXAS STOCKING OU....dude come on its the post vince young era... meaning your not gonna beat OU for the nxt 5 yrs. lol
BOOMER SOONER

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Awww man I want to go so bad.... im going to have to come up with a plan to go thank god its in Oklahoma the bad part is... its in Norman :(.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
put me on the list...i wanna come to this
Sorry, man, I'm not adding anymore people to the list unless they confirm 100% they will be able to attend. I need to tighten up a little bit on that list and start handing out out-of-state assignments ASAP. Speaking of which, what's the status with you Texas guys minus Dallas' G-Krew? San Antonio/Angelo boys? Houston?

Pee Es: Congratulations to Dojo on his epic, monumental **** performance this past weekend at Gamelot. I hate admitting this, but watching your Meta Knight go to town on some truly great players makes my thighs quiver.

Pee Pee Es: **** Meta Knight.

=)

Gravity

Smash Ace
Awww man I want to go so bad.... im going to have to come up with a plan to go thank god its in Oklahoma the bad part is... its in Norman :(.
wait. . .you live in edmond?

i tihnk im already giving 4 people rides, but if you dont mind 6 people in a car than i might be able to swing it.

i know im picking up tgm and his friend, i assume gt and wut?

plenty of room though. so thats not an issue. someone will have to sit in back without a seatbelt however.

anyway, tgm, do you know the address of the bus station youre supposed to stop at? and a time please.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Im going to this tournament, Im taking Pay$ and Shanx probably, I have room for a couple more people...If you dont mind driving with A BLACK GUY!!!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
ATTN!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was reading about the thing about the football game vs ohsnapy 4. this there gonna be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom