• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Officially Switching to Falcon

Mateo113

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have been playing smash seriously since the beginning of this year, got my cube over the summer and had the desire to learn the game of smash. My first main was falco which is just a great character overall but there was one thing I realized when playing him. I just wasn't having fun, even though I was doin pretty well with him in terms of playing my friends I was just a bitter person about it especially when I lost haha. I always played falcon as my secondary when the thought hit me that I have never gotten seriously upset when playing falcon even when i lose, he's just too damn fun to play with.

Anyway enough of my emotional rant, I have officially switched to falcon as my main as of Wednesday and am already seeing dramatic improvement in my game. Advanced technique wise I still am a huge novice. I can wave dash decently but I only used with Falco and Marth, with Falcon I never seem to use it. L-cancelling needs work as well as the short hop unfortunately since I could do it all the time with Falco but not with falcon although it's definitely not in bad shape.

Anywho, I have been looking at the stickies although not too many of them seemed to talk about certain techniques such as recovering with a knee or an up air or even a neutral air. I have seen it used tons in videos but when ever i attempt to do it with the same technique as falco I don't make it onto the platform and just die. Then again i haven't tried it too much and even did it once last night but i was drunk.

So basically I'm looking for all the pointers I can get. I don't really know when to use wavedash because for me his wavedash seems pretty short but i know the distance changes with the thumbstick a little bit. I really want to learn how to use the down air recovery onto ledge cause ive seen mango whoop *** with it. I actually do jump cancelled grabs.

I will think up of other stuff over the next few days because I know there's a ton of stuff i want to ask.

Oh yeah I thought of one just know, so everyone basically uses the c-stick for every aerial right? I saw a few people doing backwards knees and that has to use c-stick.

Also people seem to up-air so fast when they jump it's almost instantaneous. I have accidentally done it a few times with the Z Button though lmao so I'm pretty sure that's not how they do it. But otherwise it probably just takes a lot of practice to get your thumb from the jump button (For me I use Y) to the c-stick button like superfast. I could easily see it coming up fast using the thumbstick up to jump but that would be ****ty for DI.

Oh and last thing, how the **** do i do the "gentlemen"? I think that's what its called. Its two a's and then a third delayed A? Mine always goes in to the full multijab.

Thanks for everything guys! Feel free to post videos, links to guides, tips for l-cancelling, avoiding shield grab etc anything! (I ****ing love watching falcon videos anyway, especially Silent spectre and darkrain)

-Mateo

Windrose

Smash Lord
This isn't the falco boards, things aren't organized into neat sections for you to read. Just ask questions in the s2j, scar and hax threads. People usually answer them there rather quickly. Or post videos in the falcon video critique thread.

Congratulations on switching to falcon. expect to lose a lot of matches while you're learning him.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Sorry, my bad. I should've worded it as "expect to lose a lot until you're really good."

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Sounds good, except I think your frustration with Falco stems from "main syndrome" (you become so confident in your main that you hate to lose with him). Of course, I'm probably the only person who thinks like that and if you really like playing Falcon above anyone else, more power to you =)

Mateo113

Smash Rookie
Haha main syndrome definitely sounds like it. I also do have significantly more fun playing with falcon and will stick with him.

How do you guys do your "instant u-airs"? I saw a scar thread where that was a tip to use but he didn't say quite how to actually do it.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Haha main syndrome definitely sounds like it. I also do have significantly more fun playing with falcon and will stick with him.

How do you guys do your "instant u-airs"? I saw a scar thread where that was a tip to use but he didn't say quite how to actually do it.
You can do it anyway you want (with A, Z, Or C-stick). You just have to be able to press the button as you are rising in your short hop (which is pretty fast). I use Z because I can press it right when I short hop. You should practice on instant u-airs on shorter characters like Falco. If you can stand right next to a Fox and hit him with an instant u-air you'll know you've got them down.

S l o X

Smash Champion
how i do it:
instant uair oos: up on c-stick twice as fast as possible. i just randomly came up with this and i never mess it up.
instant uair: jump (x) > up on c-stick. (i use a when running and doing it)

just practice with whatever feels right, really.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Wavedashing with Falcon is definately not used as much as other characters. A lot of the time I can just use his dashdance in place of a wavedash. For example, you predict that the Marth you are fighting will Fsmash. Some characters (Samus, Luigi, Mario, Doc, etc) would WD back to avoid the Fsmash, then WD forward to punish. With Falcon, I just dash backwards to avoid the Fsmash, then, using his long dashdance, dash forward again and punish the lag. Falcon is fast. Use that to your advantage. Correct me if any of that is incorrect.

:phone:

S l o X

Smash Champion
I don't know. I think Falcon's wavedash is good. Hax uses it a lot. D-throw > wd back / forward = godlike for tech chasing.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I don't think it's that wrong. Certain characters use wavedashing way more than falcon. ie. falco.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
hey mateo you should definitely post in the WI thread and meet up with other competitive smashers since playing people better than you is the best way to improve.

on topic: not wavedashing kills your movement options

McNinja

Smash Ace
on topic: not wavedashing kills your movement options
Of course you still USE wavedashing with Falcon, I just said not as much as most characters. Of course, you still need a quick WD for spacing and certain combos and such. Mostly every character needs that. Other characters just need it more in most situations. My apologies for the confusion.

:phone:

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like you're rushing into technical things before you have the basics down. Don't worry about early upairs or specific situational stuff until you can SHFFL and wavedash consistently. Without those basic tools any new technical skill you gain will probably have to be reworked to include them when you DO learn how.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash is best used if you need to quickly go in a direction and are not able to already dash that way. Also has various uses like getting out of your shield quickly and getting momentum for aerials. Really though your main focus should be on the basic feel/tech for falcon and getting used to his moves priority/usefulness and spacing them well. After you get that down you just do ridiculous things that people will cream their pants over when you do them well. Good luck!

Mateo113

Smash Rookie
@FrootLoop
Yeah my school actually has a smash bros club and I went there last night. It was really good since there weren't too many people and I actually ended up playing with the best people of that club since there weren't many people and ended up playing till midnight lol.

@Citizen Snips
I have a tendency to do that, I even want to learn how to moonwalk but thats' definitely not important at my level. I was given some advice at my smash club to keep practicing short hopping to get it down consistently.

But with the shffling I feel like fast falling with falcon cancels out his second kick (the important one) and also sometimes I won't get my d-air stomp hit box in time, but I think they can both be fixed if i press a or c-stick down as soon as i get off the ground and then fast fall will give me enough time to get the hit box out.

@Everyone else I see where they use wavedashing, it was easy for me to do with marth to f-smash a recovering person but I still have to utilize it with falcon.

Also general question to everybody, does playing on a plasma really make that much of a difference? Every time I go to the club meeting it takes me like a straight up hour just to get used to the tv, sometimes i feel like i dash sometimes and my guy will just stand still or turn. But by the end of my playing I'll feel adjusted and feel like i'm even faster then when i would play on a plasma.

Also anyone have capture card suggesitons? I just want a simple one that works and isn't ridiculously priced.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
@FrootLoop
Yeah my school actually has a smash bros club and I went there last night. It was really good since there weren't too many people and I actually ended up playing with the best people of that club since there weren't many people and ended up playing till midnight lol.

@Citizen Snips
I have a tendency to do that, I even want to learn how to moonwalk but thats' definitely not important at my level. I was given some advice at my smash club to keep practicing short hopping to get it down consistently.

But with the shffling I feel like fast falling with falcon cancels out his second kick (the important one) and also sometimes I won't get my d-air stomp hit box in time, but I think they can both be fixed if i press a or c-stick down as soon as i get off the ground and then fast fall will give me enough time to get the hit box out.

@Everyone else I see where they use wavedashing, it was easy for me to do with marth to f-smash a recovering person but I still have to utilize it with falcon.

Also general question to everybody, does playing on a plasma really make that much of a difference? Every time I go to the club meeting it takes me like a straight up hour just to get used to the tv, sometimes i feel like i dash sometimes and my guy will just stand still or turn. But by the end of my playing I'll feel adjusted and feel like i'm even faster then when i would play on a plasma.

Also anyone have capture card suggesitons? I just want a simple one that works and isn't ridiculously priced.
Smash bros. club at your school?

aww, your so lucky

Top Bottom