• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

nDie

Smash Apprentice
@Syler it was fun for sure, looking forward to the next one. Weekends are fine usually, none of us have set schedules, so someone is always free.

Smile

Smash Apprentice
Michael: Yeah man, it was really fun. Thanks for pointing out my bad habits, I'll try to work on them (but the sidestep one is age old, so hard to break; I am trying to just strictly wave OoS though).

Like Cody said though, none of us have a set schedule so chances are you'll have at least one of Puyallup at the fests.

Otto: Sounds good, dunno if I have off but hopefully.

pandacheck

Smash Ace
i dont think side stepping works on people like the guy above me, i tried sidestepping against your fox an got thunders combo'd all up an down pokegaymon stadium

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
is that your secret to beating falco?
hahaha no, ew. in a nutshell, its doing **** youve been doing for years

and like i guess the biggest thing i realized about fighting falco was that getting hit by a laser doesn't actually mean **** unless i'm going to get comboed for it

i always used to stress out about trying to shield too many lasers but i realized i can just like, take a laser, powershield the next one or something. focus only on powershielding the "important" lasers

and idk something just clicked as far as the combo game went - you know how you used to say "****, i just gotta react to everything, stop trying to predict a tech when i don't have to"? yea, i had that same realization - realized just how well fox can cover all of falco's options in a lot of cases

honestly most of the realizations i make these days are stuff you told me some time ago but i never fully internalized hahah, like when you were telling me how you were doing running shines past m2k's marth and it was working out - **** like that

idk

but um, some people sidestep a lot very purposefully and it works out for them though. lambchops, drephen, the germ. germ omg. he does sick **** with link's jabs and tilts and **** and he'll sidestep like every shieldgrab attempt its **** lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea I saw somebody post in fox boards about better to take lasers ave keep good position then to give it up by shielding.

toph weren't you gonna say something about being nervous?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
oh. yeah

even though I'm NOTICEABLY better than I was last month, I did better at last month's tourney because of my mindset - last month, I thought to myself "this weekend is gonna be amazing, I don't really know anybody but everyone is probably really good so I might get *****. whatever, I'll have a lot of fun"

and I played really well and didn't get nervous at all

this month I thought to myself "ok, I know I can beat everybody, I've beaten them before, let's do this, I wanna get top 3, I wanna place" and I got HELLA nervous and got wrecked.

i sort of think that when you let your ego get in the way, its bad news 90% of the time

before a tournament you should just aim to have fun and everything will fall into place - whereas if you actually worry about the results, you're not going to do well

and it's easy to care about the results in a place like washington where tournaments are relatively few and far between. so try not to fall into that trap

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thats actually the way ive been looking at it recently.

I can focus more on just playing instead of trying to do well. if im good ill do better if im bad ill do worse.

imo its legitimate advice.

yea I saw somebody post in fox boards about better to take lasers ave keep good position then to give it up by shielding.

toph weren't you gonna say something about being nervous?
keep in mind that that doesnt mean you should be taking lasers just because it can be better. ive got falco figured out, id rather not explain it all tho. for a nervous version of me doing what u should be watch me vs dr pp crews from apex, and me and zhus set when its posted. i think i was playing good but i dont remember any of it.

vs really good falcos yeah.
vs average/bad falcos id much rather use falco than fox. i always do worse as fox for some reason lol. in my 1st round pool at apex i had 5 falcos an an ICs. i went fox on one and it was gay so i went falco on everyone. i dont even use falco on anyone in tournament anymore other than average falcos.

edito: wtf of course he didnt mean you kline lol.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
nah if it was a joke you wouldn't have offered the possibility of my question being directed at otto - you would've just replied as if it was obvious I was talking to you, and you would've done it in a slightly more confident or overblown way

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thats what you think.

baby sized my *****. if only you played m2 or doc. you would be connected.

imma email you the course on my subtleties

shane or otto-do you know what the requirements are to enter the league bracket? is it just having entered at least 1 gc prior to the event?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
oh yeah, otto, just in case you miss it on facebook:

know where I can get the original voices and sound effects for audio hacks?

its gay playing japanese point and having my shines go "boink boink"

lol

wanna change it back already. and maybe cf's voice too

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
thats what you think.

baby sized my *****. if only you played m2 or doc. you would be connected.

imma email you the course on my subtleties

shane or otto-do you know what the requirements are to enter the league bracket? is it just having entered at least 1 gc prior to the event?
You have to have league points to enter the qualifier bracket, top 3 from qualifier bracket enter a 12 man final bracket. The 9 people who have the most league points get auto entered into the final bracket where as everyone else who shows up plays to get the bottom three spots in the bracket. Not sure how this tourney is seeded but if its 1 plays 12, 2 plays 11 etc. (in first round) then you would play either eggz, sw, or bladewise first round so have fun with that.

Noobking, The next big tourney is september gameclucks but since i don't think you have league points i don't think you can enter melee cause its the season final. You can always check out october gc though (happens on october 2), or UW biweekly tourneys but im not sure when the next one is.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
good point, i don't think gc guy will really care, but it seems like he freaked out when EWA brawl players were talking about entering without any points... meh

pandacheck

Smash Ace
so me an bmelo been playing Brawl Plus, but i heard Brawl Minus is better, but i also heard Melee ***** both games

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
project m is bout to be legit haha

its probably because im a programmer but i am SO impressed with how far they've come. i really never thought that hacking a 3d game like that would ever have come this far

it looked so janky like a few months ago, and i watched some of the stuff connor put up and i'm like, wow, this was originally brawl!?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I've been practicing my ganon tech skill. my ganon is about to be ON POINT. learning all the different situations I can do perfect wavelands etc. ganon is hella tight

edit: and manly

Top Bottom