• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Official Updated Melee Panel Tier List and Community Voted Results

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
I think if I was to restrict it to only the top 8 characters I could see an argument for Puff not being given enough credit.

But Puff has some janky or even MUs further down in the Low Tiers, which is factored into the tier list as far as I know.

I realize people will say it's not as relevant just because of representation, but....

Consider if these characters had better rep and had a Mango/Armada/Amsa or some top 5 level player maining them,

Link and Young Link would be even or slightly advantaged to Puff (Axe and Armada don't full commit to run and gun and they often did unsafe things Link/YL mains wouldn't. Armada became very predictable since he didn't spend a lot of time with YL experimenting) Link's Jabs beat anything from Puff, both can zone and camp Puff vertically.

Ganon would be close to even

G&W would be close to even (this is a rare MU but it has been played and proven by QERB going against HungryBox, and I don't even consider QERB ideal)

Zelda would be slightly disadvantaged

C. Falcon is an outlier since he's in the top 8, he seems to have an easier time in the MU. Given a better main he could be advantaged IMO.

I think all those characters for as bad as they are could beat a Hungrybox level Puff in bracket with the right player skill. They expose Puff's weaknesses which aren't nullified like they might be with the top 8.

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I think if I was to restrict it to only the top 8 characters I could see an argument for Puff not being given enough credit.

But Puff has some janky or even MUs further down in the Low Tiers, which is factored into the tier list as far as I know.

I realize people will say it's not as relevant just because of representation, but....

Consider if these characters had better rep and had a Mango/Armada/Amsa or some top 5 level player maining them,

Link and Young Link would be even or slightly advantaged to Puff (Axe and Armada don't full commit to run and gun and they often did unsafe things Link/YL mains wouldn't. Armada became very predictable since he didn't spend a lot of time with YL experimenting) Link's Jabs beat anything from Puff, both can zone and camp Puff vertically.

Ganon would be close to even

G&W would be close to even (this is a rare MU but it has been played and proven by QERB going against HungryBox, and I don't even consider QERB ideal)

Zelda would be slightly disadvantaged

C. Falcon is an outlier since he's in the top 8, he seems to have an easier time in the MU. Given a better main he could be advantaged IMO.

I think all those characters for as bad as they are could beat a Hungrybox level Puff in bracket with the right player skill. They expose Puff's weaknesses which aren't nullified like they might be with the top 8.
C. Falcon probably goes 40-60 to puff.

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
I got a question, would Link and Young Link be higher if Melee still has that Boomerang and Grapple super jump glitch?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
"If melee still had that boomerang and grapple super jump glitch"

Well, for one, it does still have the glitch. Its not like it was patched out.

Two, the uses for it are pretty limited. Its obvious when you consider the setup.

That said, there are additional glitches related to it that most people don't know about. One of which involves the game considering you to be edgehogging, even though you are hanging from your chain still.

Falc0ofspades

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brmybutler
I don't think G&W should be higher than Roy or mewtwo and I don't think yoshi should be higher than Gannon but otherwise I completely agree with the teir list

Mains::falcomelee::mariomelee: Secondaries::sheikmelee:

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
"If melee still had that boomerang and grapple super jump glitch"

Well, for one, it does still have the glitch. Its not like it was patched out.

Two, the uses for it are pretty limited. Its obvious when you consider the setup.

That said, there are additional glitches related to it that most people don't know about. One of which involves the game considering you to be edgehogging, even though you are hanging from your chain still.
Yes, I'm aware that the glitch is here, but most uses the 1.2 version of the game which is patched.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you main [young] link, then you carry a 1.0 disc with you. Axe did it for a while, and when I mained YL I did it as well. You'd also be surprised how often you run into a 1.0 disc in a gamecube.

Its definitely still feasible to exist in tournaments.

TheCh0sen

Smash Rookie
Still surprised Falco is 2nd, personally I think him and Marth should switch places. Falco's representation has been lacking recently.

Brendog2

Smash Rookie
Good list, though I have heard that on the 2016 list that Samus could possibly move up to 6th

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
the general idea is that yes, although fox and falco are very close, almost everyone agrees that fox is a bit better, so everyone voted fox at first. so then fox is so ahead of falco since everyone put fox at first.
It's 50/50 and more dependant on players. Falcos say fox wins and foxes say falco wins. Being duel spacies I think it's purely the player and mentality

Sempai

Smash Ace
It's 50/50 and more dependant on players. Falcos say fox wins and foxes say falco wins. Being duel spacies I think it's purely the player and mentality
I agree that its based on the player and his matchup knowledge. However 90% of the time I hear how using Fox vs Falco is sooo rough for Fox. Midwest bias maybe?

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I agree that its based on the player and his matchup knowledge. However 90% of the time I hear how using Fox vs Falco is sooo rough for Fox. Midwest bias maybe?
That's exactly what I mean. Depending on the player and skill level it will tilt slightly in one's favour. I can beat casual foxes but no way could I beat Hax's
If it was two equally skilled and mentally ready players it would be 50/50

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think at the higher levels fox wins. Falco is just so much slower, and a small amount of additional range doesn't make up for that. Fox can shine OoS faster than any of falco's options after shining his shield (besides falco doing another shine, which can't happen indefinitely). Fox can run away and all falco can do in response is shoot lasers.

Falco's shine is also less effective at higher levels. Everyone knows how to DI so that the combo is minimized and doesn't lead to death. Whereas with fox's shine, it creates a tech chase situation which is extremely optimized by top players in our meta. Druggedfox basically treats it like a sheik reaction tech chase and normally gets a grab followup.

I also think fox is better at edgeguarding. Falco is forced to sideb most of time, since fox can jump out and shine on reaction if he does upb. And yet, falco can't sweetspot as low as fox can with sideb, so he is somewhat reduced to mixing up the heights of his sidebs in order to get back. Fox can almost always choose to upb low and tech the dair, which falco has some counters to, but it really restricts falco's choices. Plus fox can upb high and downward sweetspot and falco doesn't have many ways to stop it.

Tl;Dr Falco is really good at slaying fox. But once fox players get to a certain skill level, the odds skew in fox's favor.

Kodu02

Smash Rookie
Talk to hax
Falco is better than Fox; his projectile has more impact and his side special is better for starters. Nut even if Fox is indeed better, I would have to see some extraordinarily convincing evidence and arguments that he's by far and always better than Falco enough to warrant his own tier. Also Ganondorf is viable, put him back in mid.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
So are there any plans to make a new tier list? Seems like it's been a while since the last one.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
This list is approaching 2 years of age.
We really need to get a new one due to all the majors that have happened since.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Great tier list :foxmelee: being one on tier lists is why so many people main him. He wins majors and he kicks a$$!

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Feel like we need a new tier list. Not hating on this one, but it's out of date and I think public opinion is much different.

Personally think it's like this:

S Tier:
1. Fox
2. Marth

S- Tier:
3. Falco
4. Puff

A Tier:
5. Sheik
6. Peach
7. Falcon

B+ Tier:
8. Samus

B Tier:
9. Ice Climbers
10. Pikachu
11. Luigi
12. Yoshi

C Tier:
13. Doctor Mario
14. Gannondorf
15. Mario

I'm not confident on the rest lol, but I'd to start some new discussion on this.

Last edited:

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
SS Tier:

Fox

S Tier:

Falco, Falcon, Marth

A Tier:

Sheik, Peach, Puff

B Tier:

Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Yoshi, Samus, Dr.Mario, Luigi

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I believe Falco is above Marth, but his lack of representation apart from a struggling Weston Dennis and a dual maining Fruity boi I think Marth is better fit for #2 in this meta. If we ever get the return of PPMD, a new top/very high falco, or Westballz back to his best, then Falco's #2.
but until that happens... Marth is #2

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
I feel like Kirby is actually pretty underrated especially compared to characters Bowser and Zelda.

S: :foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::jigglypuffmelee:
A: :sheikmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::pikachumelee::samusmelee::icsmelee:
B: :yoshimelee::luigimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee:
C: :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee::gawmelee:
D: :kirbymelee::mewtwomelee::nessmelee::pichumelee::roymelee:
E: :zeldamelee::bowsermelee:

Last edited:

LEO142

Smash Rookie
I feel like Kirby is actually pretty underrated especially compared to characters Bowser and Zelda.

S: :foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::jigglypuffmelee:
A: :sheikmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::pikachumelee::icsmelee:
B: :yoshimelee::luigimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee:
C: :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee::gawmelee:
D: :kirbymelee::mewtwomelee::nessmelee::pichumelee::roymelee:
E: :zeldamelee::bowsermelee:
With kirby's lack of air mobilty, kill moves, and recovery, i would put him at the botton of D tier or within E tier. I wouldn't say that he's a better character than any of those you placed in d tier. He's that bad. Then again at this point the position of low tiers on the tier lists aren't really that important so whatever

Last edited:

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
/
With kirby's lack of air mobilty, kill moves, and recovery, i would put him at the botton of D tier or within E tier. I wouldn't say that he's a better character than any of those you placed in d tier. He's that bad. Then again at this point the position of low tiers on the tier lists aren't really that important so whatever
you're right about the low tiers not being that important compared to higher tiered characters but many other low tiers share similar problems with kirby while having other problems on top of that
for instance, while kirby has a bad recovery he at least has five jumps which combined with his fair gives him some aerial drift forward making his horizontal recovery decent whereas characters like ness and roy have slower/more telegraphed recoveries overall which hinder them a lot
along with that, while kirby doesn't have a lot of kill moves outside of uair, usmash, dsmash, and maybe bair at the ledge, since he has a lot of tools for edgeguarding/airguarding (dtilt, dsmash, bair, dair, ftilt) he makes up for it somewhat while characters like zelda really don't have anything outside of risky/punishable moves
lastly, most other low tiers just have bigger weaknesses that hinder them from being higher on the tier list whereas kirby's main weakness is his lack of mobility which players like Triple R have shown to not be a big deal (bowser/zelda are bulky and slow while also having bad frame data generally, roy/pichu are fragile and weak with roy having one of the worst recoveries in the game while also being combo food for most of the cast, ness/pichu have range issues, mewtwo has a lack of kill power, etc)

LEO142

Smash Rookie
but who actually cares he's still jsut gonna get stuffed by top tiers so whatevs

Top Bottom