• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~)Official Tamagon for Brawl Thread(~

the grim lizard

Smash Master
This is the official thread for discussing Tamagon for a character in SSBB. Every other random character under the sun is getting their own thread for character discussion. I searched and there was no Tamagon love going around; I started this topic.

[get a quick idea of the game]

OK, I'm sure everyone's first question in coming to this topic is "Who the heck is Tamagon??"

Tamagon is a tiny green dragon and the start of the 1984 Japanese-only game "Devil World" for the Famicom/NES.

He is considered to be one of the "Nintendo Stars" or as we like to call it one of the "classic Nintendo characters." And since Sakurai has had some joy bringing back this long but not-so-forgotten characters into the Smash arena, Tamagon has a chance. (Albeit not a huge one.)

He's right there with the Ice Climbers and Pit and all those guys. (Don't believe me? Here is more info. on this odd character.)

There's a thread out there for every other "star" other than this guy, which are (alphabetically): Bubbles, Fox, Little Mac, Marth, Mike Jones, Mr. Stevenson, Muddy Mole, Ness, Pit, Popo, Red, Samus, Takamaru, and Tamagon. (Wait, there's no Mr. Stevenson topic...may have to do something about that. ;))

Nintendo hasn't forgotten about him either: They even had a trophy of him in Melee. What's that? You don't remember getting that trophy? Well, that, too was Japan-only or...only for special events or something, but you could still get the trophy if you used an Action Replay (which I did).

It's not unheard of that a character like this could get in (even being Japan-only...FE character got in last time, and Stafy too has a chance). He certainly has one of the most unique themes for a game as well as the objectives themselves in DW. So, his powers would be far different from anyone else.

The game really is very interesting. I suggest trying out the ROM if you have the chance or playing it on the Wii's VC if it comes out for it some day. The best way I can describe it is a side-scrolling Pacman.

In the game he has to defeat the Devil and drive him out of the Devil World (sounds kind of odd, eh?). He runs into the Devil's minions throughout the game, too. The way he is able to overcome him is by finding and using a cross to destroy the power pellets?, which are the source of the Devil's power, apparently. (I told you it'd be controversial, and there's more to come...) The game really is a lot like Pacman, except that instead of finding a power pellet to eat ghosts, he finds a cross (there are multiple) and uses them to destroy the "Boa Boa dots." He has to collect all of the Bibles and bring them back to the center to complete the level. So, that's all I got...lol. This could be interesting.

Possible moves for Tamagon (for those of you who are totally lost):

He would probably be on the heavier side (like Falco or C. Falcon) but he would be a floaty character (like Jiggs or Kirby) but maybe only have like 4 jumps instead of 8. His speed would be average. Initial thoughts on a moveset:

B - Something involving his fire breath.
op1)This could be something that is charged and stored but has downtime in between.
op2)It could be something that can be charge and but not stored.
>B - Maybe crux-throw or crux-jab
^B - Flight...something similar to Pit's "Wings of Icarus"
vB - I have no idea, but maybe he pulls out a random artifact to use as an item (like Peach's Turnips/whatever)

Some of his A-moves would consist of fire attacks, tail attacks, biting attacks, as well as attacks involving some of the artifacts he uses in his game. (Interesting tidbit: The icon for the "Bibles" in DW was used in the original LoZ but was renamed "Book of Magic")

His shield would be an egg, like Yoshi.

--I'm open to suggestions at this point, and I'll try to maintain this thread/initial post--

Anyway, I'll leave it open for discussion (and please try to have and open mind). If only one dragon gets into Brawl, it should be Ridley, but if Sakurai is feeling a little retro and a little crazy, then Tamagon has a chance.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
He seems like a really cool, retro character, but how would he fight? He has no arms. Though Kirby really didn't have arms either, well, not 'usable' ones anyway. Does he have any special abilities to make up for it?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, I meant to add some possible moves and whatnot in there for people who are totally lost. I'll update the initial post...

Zeela12

Smash Ace
wow, that thing looks alot like that dinosaur from Bubble bobble lol... hard to imagine that thing being a character though.... then again... theres game and watch.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I don't really like him, but I suppose he could work. I don't know how they'd do it, but they could figure out a way.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Tamagon....I doubt it....and it's not because I'm being stubborn...

I actually believe his CHARACTER is workable in Brawl...but

there WAS a reason why his trophy was unobtainable in Melee (unless aided by action replay)

Tamagon's trophy was removed from melee, because of it's refrence to demons and devils etc...(seems stupid, but it's true.) The TROPHY was removed from melee to avoid offending any customers, possible legal disputes, etc....so I highly doubt that they would go and make him a character......sorry

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Check out the link to the actual gameplay I have up there. He picks up items in the game.

I'd imagine he would either bite people to grab them, or he'd have sort of weird "invisible hands" that would grab things (again, note the video), if you can imagine that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
sakurai did state that characters from trophies in melee would be making appearences. (ie pit, balloon fighter, mach rider, ridley, maybe tamagon)
but i have to say i doubt it, though it would be a fun addition.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
sakurai did state that characters from trophies in melee would be making appearences. (ie pit, balloon fighter, mach rider, ridley, maybe tamagon)
but i have to say i doubt it, though it would be a fun addition.
Metaknight... Mach Rider, woot.

Yeah, I think Tamagon won't get in for the reason his trophy was removed from European Melee (Cannot get even with AR)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
This hasn't been around in a while. I now think that Tamagon would be an awesome AT, since there is no way he'd be a PC. Besides, I think he would work better as an AT anyway. Sakurai did say that there would be AT characters that only the most dedicated gamers would recognize. I think he'd be awesome. Feedback?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I remember hearing that the reason he wasn't included as a trophy in the American version of Melee was because the word 'Devil' was in the title of his game. If they wouldn't even include him as a trophy, I can't seem them making him a playable character.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Devil World doesn't have its own icon, so that means that there won't be any playable characters from that game.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I mean this thing:

See how he has a generic Smash Bros. logo as an icon?

This is Knuckle Joe's icon:

See how he has the Kirby icon, because there are playable characters from the Kirby series, so the Kirby series has its own icon.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Once I found out about ATs, I figured his best shot was as one of those anyway. I'm actually surprised that the Devil became an AT. I think things look pretty good for Tamagon, though, maybe...

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Well don't forget that even this AT could be censored(removed) from the US release to avoid a huge religious dispute.

"OMG A DEVIL IN SSBB, I DON'T WANT MY CHILD TO PLAY THAT"

-_- /censored

the grim lizard

Smash Master
They could just change the name or something so it wouldn't be Devil. I wouldn't think Tamagon would be an issue either way, though...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, they changed it to Demon over on the UK site. But really, it's a fat flying blue guy in a speedo. The thing may have a "scary" name, but it's more of a joke when you look at it. =/

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I agree that it does look like a joke, however people love to overract and make a big deal out of things.

Perhaps the name will be changed from Devil to Demon to avoid such a dispute.

Florida

イーグランツ
This update either raises or lowers Tamagon's chances in Brawl, the way I see it. The mention of a "devil" was the problem of him being included in Melee, so it's obvious that won't be a problem this time. But then there's the fact that there's no icon supporting Devil World... but there are still hopes for an AT appearance.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
The Devil appearing is somewhat controversial in inself. I highly doubt Tamagon will be in even as an AT because of it actually being removed from the trophy section in US Melee.

M man

Smash Rookie
The Devil appearing is somewhat controversial in inself. I highly doubt Tamagon will be in even as an AT because of it actually being removed from the trophy section in US Melee.
The way I see it is if they can put in a charactor that is a devil I don't see why they can't put in a one who shows no indication of having any thing to do with a devil. So why can't Tamagon be an At?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
in fact he is the one who actually defeats the devil. he would be difficult to incorperate into brawl however, though he would be great. i would definetly give him his fireball power, and then some recovery move involving his wings. he would grab with his feet, and his a moves would invovle flips to hit the opponent with his feet and tail. i would like to see how they would incorperate the bibles and crosses he uses in his games

SonicMario

Smash Master
The way I see it is if they can put in a charactor that is a devil I don't see why they can't put in a one who shows no indication of having any thing to do with a devil. So why can't Tamagon be an At?
I don't think Sakauri cares for the Religous critics anymore.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
It's not even the Devil. It's more like a devil or a demon or just some evil-looking thing. It's mostly just poor word choice of applying something generic and making it into something specific.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'd have to say Tamagon doesn't have a chance now that the Devil from this game is confirmed, and he didn't have a Devil World-ish icon that went with the update...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
If you ask me, the more dragons in Brawl, the better. I'm a fan.
If Pit and the Ice Climbers can get in Brawl as PCs, I don't see why Tamagon can't either.

Top Bottom