• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Yoshi

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
What do you guys generally regard as his best moveset, the default control scheme or 3111? Also, if someone is trapped in an egg, what's the fastest way my opponent can break out of an egg with 1111 and 3111?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
The best moveset could be either 1111 or 3111 for all intents and purposes. Even though the egg launch has slightly better frame data than egg lay and is good for stage control, you're still trading out free damage and gimp-potential on characters with lower vertical recovery, so it's not a direct upgrade. Like a lot of custom moves, egg launch can be better or worse depending on the MU, so I don't think there's a straight answer.

And I have been continuing to experiment with the egg roll moves, and no matter how much I try, I just can't find a practical use for any of them, which is why it's a shame that they're taking up so many sets. I also agree with Polt that Lick isn't as good as a lot of people originally thought, and that 3113 is probably a better set than 2113. I was just trying to incorporate more move variety for the people who liked Lick. For what it's worth, it would have been nice if more people were discussing this in here before the deadline.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Which characters gets gimped the worst depending on which egg? We should make a chart of which neutral special works best for gimping specific characters. Obviously the standard neutral would work better against a character like Wario, while Egg Launch works better against a character like Captain Falcon.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Egg Launch is probably better against Diddy as well, since his monkey flip doesn't go quite as far as it used to and it'll force him into up b, which SHOULD be a free gimp for us.

I'm not too familiar with Sonic's ideal recovery in this game, but I'd imagine Egg Launch is ideal with him as well.

I think the general trend is that Egg Launch is better against characters whose horizontal recovery is lacking. So while characters like Sonic/Megaman/Pacman(?) have recovery specials that are mainly vertical, if we send them out far enough with Egg Launch, their recovery path is quite predictable, so we can exploit that.

Characters like Mega Man, Mii Brawler, Donkey Kong, custom Wii Fit Trainer (horizontal hoops), etc. make this not as effective, and we'd rather drop them low with regular Egg Lay.

InsomnaSaur

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kunze05
I don't have much to say about the rest of Yoshi's custom moves but I think Egg Launch is amazing. It gimps characters with bad recoveries and really messes with Characters with average recoveries. Also, if you land one off stage it almost always gets you a stock. It's hard to do but I've been practicing getting opponents off stage and then egg launching them under the stage and then watching them clank their recoveries and fall to their deaths. Pretty satisfying.

One other thing, I still can't do it but a wave bounced egg launch at the ledge looks like an amazing gimp for basically every character that doesn't have a godly recovery

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I agree that Egg Launch is very match-up specific, but it also has its uses on stages with walk-offs and close blast zones like Delfino and Castle Siege.

It's too bad that we couldn't get a decent set for Crushing Yoshi Bomb, though. The extra kill power of that could come in handy from time to time, like if you go for a ledge trump or are playing against a Lucario that recovered poorly, to give a few examples. Despite what the combo counter in Training says, a grounded Crushing Yoshi Bomb does indeed combo into itself (or, at least you can't air-dodge in the middle of it, so it's practically a combo for all intents and purposes). It also true combos on Jigglypuff, who as far as I know is the only character who has an invincible frame-1 move that they can do in the air.

So yeah, hopefully some more viable sets incorporating it will be created after EVO is done. I think at the very least it has more value than Heavy Egg Roll and Star Bomb.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I think what surprises me most about all this is that you're posting here again.

Crushing bomb seems ok at best, but people can honestly DI the first hit and get away. If just using it as you said, grabbing ledges or using it to get back down to the stage faster it can be kinda good.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, it's less that I think Crushing Bomb is good and more that I think that it's less worse than Heavy Egg Roll and Star Bomb lol.

Also, I've been active on Facebook, so I don't really come by here anymore since all my friends talk there instead.

Da Loc

Smash Cadet
I know I'm late but I like 1133. I don't play a traditional yoshi style, I like to use more grabs and read and react like Amsa's Greninja. Anyways, timed eggs force although has more cool down lag, forces air dodges on opponents. I know regular eggs are better in the neutral game though. I only use any down B grounded as a trap so I'd always go Crushing bomb for the early KO.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does high jump has absolutely no use?
I mean, isn't there any way to compensate for the lack of a projectile?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does high jump has absolutely no use?
I mean, isn't there any way to compensate for the lack of a projectile?
One of the few pros about this custom is that yoshi is able to go much deeper off stage to edgeguard the opponent. However, he can do that already pretty decently due to his second jump.

The lack of projectile is what sets this custom dramatically behind the others.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I know I'm late but I like 1133. I don't play a traditional yoshi style, I like to use more grabs and read and react like Amsa's Greninja. Anyways, timed eggs force although has more cool down lag, forces air dodges on opponents. I know regular eggs are better in the neutral game though. I only use any down B grounded as a trap so I'd always go Crushing bomb for the early KO.
I do quite like Timed Egg Throw myself. Back before EVO's custom list came out, it was one of my go-to customs. Admittedly, like you said, they're not quite as strong in the neutral game and you can't spam them quite as much, but I found they're actually really good in the Rosalina match-up, as Luma just eats those suckers up and dies way faster than with any other set. Star Bomb was also pretty nice in this match-up, as I found it was way harder to punish with default Yoshi Bomb and it keeps Rosalina on the defensive, which is where you want her. I'm not sure which neutral B option is best here though...Lick gives Yoshi some of his killing power back but takes away his mid-air grab, but Egg Launch gives you time to kill Luma or go for fair.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'm so close to unlocking almost every custom on the 3ds version. I know I don't have to worry too much about marth's effortless blade since nobody really seems to use either of the two side b customs. What about crushing bomb? It was on one Evo set but if it gets more prominent then that's "crushing" to me :p

Note: this problem could solve itself very quickly if I get lucky with the unlocks

Top Bottom