• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I was really hoping that Venom would be the alt to Lylat. That was one of my favorite stages in Melee. What's the difference between Brawl and PM Lylat anyway? Is it just that the Brawl stage tilts a bit sometimes?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Glitch report: Event #7: Diddy Kong Panic, freezes.
I was really hoping that Venom would be the alt to Lylat. That was one of my favorite stages in Melee. What's the difference between Brawl and PM Lylat anyway? Is it just that the Brawl stage tilts a bit sometimes?
It's a little more than a bit, now that I've had the chance to see it in comparison. I was hoping for the same thing!

Last edited:

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
Hey! So, I was finally able to play it last night. Everything looks absolutely fantastic. I haven't noticed any unmentioned bugs yet, unless one thing, but it could be intentional, I'm not sure.

Is Peach's Castle supposed to not have ledges on the main part of the stage? The moving platform has it, but for some reason the Castle I had before had ledges on the grass/carpet.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Is Peach's Castle supposed to not have ledges on the main part of the stage? The moving platform has it, but for some reason the Castle I had before had ledges on the grass/carpet.
The original 64 stage didn't have ledges on the main base. The version you had is a common modification that allows that part to be grabbed for the sake of recovering.
So yeah, it's intentionally not supposed to be a ledge.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
How are you coming off the ledge? Edit: Attacking. Just got the same result.

On a related note, this stage needs more remixes or to just be switched in general with Peach's Castle. The songs on this stage might work better there than here.

Last edited:

bb010g

Smash Cadet
I miss Rainbow Cruise. I wish we had that instead of Spear Pillar. The top platforms aren't bad, but Rainbow Cruise doesn't fight you (at least in a way that's not so easily avoidable) or have a tunnel of life.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
How are you coming off the ledge? Edit: Attacking. Just got the same result.

On a related note, this stage needs more remixes or to just be switched in general with Peach's Castle. The songs on this stage might work better there than here.
This is so dang fun to watch.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I miss Rainbow Cruise. I wish we had that instead of Spear Pillar. The top platforms aren't bad, but Rainbow Cruise doesn't fight you (at least in a way that's not so easily avoidable) or have a tunnel of life.
Spear Pillar is BEAUTIFUL and the music is really on point, but yeah, the casual stuff is really bad in that stage, especially the events that mirror the screen and all that. I don't mind the lasers and the Pokémon attacking from time to time that much though.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Leave Spear Pillar alone. The hazards there can all be reacted to and it's nice to have it back for the first time in forever.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
The original 64 stage didn't have ledges on the main base. The version you had is a common modification that allows that part to be grabbed for the sake of recovering.
So yeah, it's intentionally not supposed to be a ledge.
Aw, I hope it's confirmed Not Legal so someone can edit ledges in again. It's too beautiful to be ignored, but no one in my casual scene wants to play it without them. :(

Arthelo

Smash Rookie
On Bowser's Castle, if I have Snake down-smash over the emblem in the middle, the mine can't be seen. There's no trace of it poking up through Bowser's face, but it still hits you. His C4 is also just barely visible unless you're using the pause screen to look from above.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
On Bowser's Castle, if I have Snake down-smash over the emblem in the middle, the mine can't be seen. There's no trace of it poking up through Bowser's face, but it still hits you.
If this is supposed to be a bug report, then this isn't a bug. You don't need to see the mine to trigger it; it's still on ground level.

BasedAchilles

Smash Rookie
That Delfino Secret stage needs to find it's way off the bottom row. Can I manually move that stage in 3.6? I know I used to move stages around, but due to the alt stage picks, I am unsure if I can still do that.

Also, Pokemon Stadium is broken.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
That Delfino Secret stage needs to find it's way off the bottom row. Can I manually move that stage in 3.6? I know I used to move stages around, but due to the alt stage picks, I am unsure if I can still do that.

Also, Pokemon Stadium is broken.
SSS Editor. Alt stage or no, it's simply writing codes to move x stage to y slot.

Broken how? Both work fine for me.

BasedAchilles

Smash Rookie
SSS Editor. Alt stage or no, it's simply writing codes to move x stage to y slot.

Broken how? Both work fine for me.
Ok, I just didnt want to have to move an Alt stage too.
The stage freezes when I pick it when it shows the first character spawning. I formatted the SD card and all afterwords but no luck.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Aw, I hope it's confirmed Not Legal so someone can edit ledges in again. It's too beautiful to be ignored, but no one in my casual scene wants to play it without them. :(
We were planning on using those ledges, but they caused glitches with tethers so they were removed.

Ok, I just didnt want to have to move an Alt stage too.
The stage freezes when I pick it when it shows the first character spawning. I formatted the SD card and all afterwords but no luck.
So the stage loads, but freezes when the character spawns? Odd, I've never seen that happen before. Also, just to confirm, you're talking about PS1 right?

Arthelo

Smash Rookie
If this is supposed to be a bug report, then this isn't a bug. You don't need to see the mine to trigger it; it's still on ground level.
The issue is that the dev team previously patched Snake in 3.5 to make him place the mine higher up in order to increase visibility. Even if it isn't a bug in a stricter sense, it's still a detail that their contradicts prior intentions.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
The issue is that the dev team previously patched Snake in 3.5 to make him place the mine higher up in order to increase visibility. Even if it isn't a bug in a stricter sense, it's still a detail that their contradicts prior intentions.
and they made it bright pink

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It doesn't contradict anything. It's literally the result of how the stage model and collisions for it work. You make it sound as though this is something deliberate.

The model protrudes through the level of the floor collision which causes it to obscure the mine. They could raise the floor a bit, but it'd look objectively stupid for characters to float on the emblem.

BasedAchilles

Smash Rookie
We were planning on using those ledges, but they caused glitches with tethers so they were removed.

So the stage loads, but freezes when the character spawns? Odd, I've never seen that happen before. Also, just to confirm, you're talking about PS1 right?
No No. I am talking both PS stages. It always freezes at the same point to, which is when the camera moves to the first character spawning. They get through maybe a quarter or so of the animation and then it freezes, forcing me to unplug the power. I would get a video of it, but I have no way to do that right now.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
I've gotten better at it, maybe I just need to accept that most will not want to play it, though. Or I just need new friends haha.

Off topic completely though
I also just want to take a moment to say how much I appreciate the time you take out to discuss these things openly with everyone. I know PM is volunteer work, but usually projects like these tend to evolve way differently. Everyone I've heard from PMDev Team have all been very enjoyable users anywhere I've run into them. Really excellent interaction dudes! B)

Draco_The

Smash Lord
dont all levels?

@ Sandfall Sandfall , did the camera change in any way from 3.5 to 3.6? Want to know if i need to update my reskin stages camera.
I wasn't sure so I started checking other levels when I found that. I recall Final Destination and Battlefield having more than 1 respawn points. Bowser's Castle only has one in the center of the stage.

EDIT:

I tried a bunch of other stages and none of them had this problem.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I wasn't sure so I started checking other levels when I found that. I recall Final Destination and Battlefield having more than 1 respawn points. Bowser's Castle only has one in the center of the stage.

EDIT:

I tried a bunch of other stages and none of them had this problem.
Better?

Thanks to all who reported that. Let me know if there have been any oddities with the thwomp hazards.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Better?

Thanks to all who reported that. Let me know if there have been any oddities with the thwomp hazards.
Yes, that's definetely better.

In regards to the hazards, I didn't see any problem with them. They work as intended, but I think the camera should be zoomed out when a Thwomp appears.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Better?
Not so much an oddity, but a major thing that stops our group from wanting to play this stage is the amount of deaths caused by the platforms slipp[ing into place as you're trying to sweetspot the edge.

would collisions like normal platforms suit better here? (so we can recover up through them)?

also, not sure if you saw my question earlier. did the camera change from 3.5 to 3.6?
would like to know if i need to flick a new camera file over for reskins, or if i can just run 3.5 camera stages.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Not so much an oddity, but a major thing that stops our group from wanting to play this stage is the amount of deaths caused by the platforms slipp[ing into place as you're trying to sweetspot the edge.

would collisions like normal platforms suit better here? (so we can recover up through them)?

also, not sure if you saw my question earlier. did the camera change from 3.5 to 3.6?
would like to know if i need to flick a new camera file over for reskins, or if i can just run 3.5 camera stages.
I'm not sure about cameras, that's @SOJ's thing.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The side platforms being much more visible above the lava flow as they travel into place rather than just clipping through it and popping out of the lava at the last second would be a nice visual change for Bowser's Castle too.

Sort of like the support ghosts giving you notice in Yoshi's Island Brawl.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Another visual change I'd like to see for that stage is less contrast between the lava and everything else.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
The side platforms being much more visible above the lava flow as they travel into place rather than just clipping through it and popping out of the lava at the last second would be a nice visual change for Bowser's Castle too.

Sort of like the support ghosts giving you notice in Yoshi's Island Brawl.
I wouldn't have a problem with the platforms being solid if we could have more notice they were returning. Best suggestion right here.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
The Thwomps coming down should become non-solid, and have a hitbox that sends the opponent more towards the side and not into an instant unrecoverable death at the bottom. Also, agree with the camera zooming out some to show the Thwomp hazards.

In order to fix the emblem, you may want to flatten or lower it a little bit so it doesn't hide smaller objects there.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
The Thwomps coming down should become non-solid, and have a hitbox that sends the opponent more towards the side and not into an instant unrecoverable death at the bottom.
I'm totally against that. What makes the stage cool and fun is having to get the **** out of the platforms when a thwomp appears to avoid death, and if it's just going to push you to the side, it's not going to be the same at all.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Problem is, you can't see the damned things in a 1v1 situation when you're close and near that side. One moment, you're battling for better position, and the next, down comes the Thwomp from off-screen, and you're ****ed. Anyone worth their salt in game design knows that's bad.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Problem is, you can't see the damned things in a 1v1 situation when you're close and near that side. One moment, you're battling for better position, and the next, down comes the Thwomp from off-screen, and you're ****ed. Anyone worth their salt in game design knows that's bad.
But getting rid of the OHKO won't solve that. It would just make it not as salty-inducing.

Either zoom out the camera when the Thwomp is about to fall too or make it not as close for this stage. A better solution would be to add sounds for when the Thwomp is starting to shake, but that's not possible at the moment.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
We don't have control over the camera mid match, and were can't really make the thwomps not OHKO our the limited hazard control. The thwomps do cast a shadow though, so you can still see if they are there.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Sounds like you need to play on a different stage. The Thwomps are fine sans the lack of sound.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I actually don't notice them very easily either, but I simply solve that problem by avoiding those two blocks at all costs 'cause man, them thwomps are scary.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Even more reason to let the players plan for the platform returning by making them fully visible when the Thwomps are such a strong threatening presence on the stage as it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom