• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I really dig castle siege. But no one wants to make it legal cause the slope (damn casuls)

Have you thought of possibly making the slope a bit less extreme so that more people mightconsider it competitvely viable? It's such a waste for all the work done to it if no one will use it in tournament ;-;

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I really dig castle siege. But no one wants to make it legal cause the slope (damn casuls)

Have you thought of possibly making the slope a bit less extreme so that more people mightconsider it competitvely viable? It's such a waste for all the work done to it if no one will use it in tournament ;-;
Why are slopes banned?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Slopes provide advantages or disadvantages to specific characters and/or projectile users. They also tend to distort hitboxes because of angles (depends on how slanted the collision is), but honestly that's what makes them great to play on. People just enjoy crying about stages they suck on or that's anti-melee / anti-wavedash.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Slopes provide advantages or disadvantages to specific characters and/or projectile users. They also tend to distort hitboxes because of angles (depends on how slanted the collision is), but honestly that's what makes them great to play on. People just enjoy crying about stages they suck on or that's anti-melee / anti-wavedash.
So people not willing to adapt?

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Not so much an oddity, but a major thing that stops our group from wanting to play this stage is the amount of deaths caused by the platforms slipp[ing into place as you're trying to sweetspot the edge.

would collisions like normal platforms suit better here? (so we can recover up through them)?

also, not sure if you saw my question earlier. did the camera change from 3.5 to 3.6?
would like to know if i need to flick a new camera file over for reskins, or if i can just run 3.5 camera stages.
The camera did not change

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is awesome, haters gonna hate.

So is Bowser's Castle, but I have two comments regarding that stage. One, could we get the platforms from Theytah's old build added to the current version? Move the outer platforms in slightly if they're in the way of the Thwomps. Two, any thoughts on a "legalized" variant that removes the Thwomps but retains the extended sides (and ideally the platforms)? Recessed walls plus a wide, PS2-style stage with a triplat layout might make for an interesting addition to the stage list. Or compress the main platform slightly, it is admittedly pretty wide right now (marginally wider than PS2) when you factor in the extended sides.

Last edited:

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
Rather than making stages globally legal or banned i think everyone should move to the idea of seeing stages as viable. Then regional tournaments could have varying stagelists and still rise to a major status.

I'd like to see just one major with a unique stage list. But surely this is an unpopular opinion.

Edit: Real quick I just found out something about the old Peach's Castle 64, the sliding bricks do not have ledges. I only tested the right one though. Just thought you might want to know. I'm replacing the 64 skins so it doesn't bother me too much.

Last edited:

TSW

Smash Rookie
Changing the subject, my bad!

So I only use a Wii, and Peach's Castle HD lags quite a bit with four players (most of the time, anyways). I tried taking out some of the invisible elements to remedy this (warp star, red coins, etc.), but I can't quiiiite get it to run smoothly.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Since PM focuses primarily on competition, I feel like a competitive variant might become the primary and the fun version would get bumped to secondary. I want this stage to stay in the foregrounds.

But speaking of alts I'm torn whether to use the competitive variant as an alt or Mewtwo2000's Vs Bowser stage. Vs Bowser gets my vote as an official alt, but redone to not look like nostalgia of course.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I think the platforms on Saffron City HD might need to be adjusted. They don't seem to contrast well with the background, so they're pretty hard to see amidst all the action.

I don't know if you intended for this, but many of the stages with alts work wonderfully with Classic and All-Star, they seem to be random. It would be nice if you guys could include all stages with those two game-types, but I understand that they're not very high priorities compared to all the other dreams you guys make come true.
Since PM focuses primarily on competition, I feel like a competitive variant might become the primary and the fun version would get bumped to secondary. I want this stage to stay in the foregrounds.

But speaking of alts I'm torn whether to use the competitive variant as an alt or Mewtwo2000's Vs Bowser stage. Vs Bowser gets my vote as an official alt, but redone to not look like nostalgia of course.
I would love to see the vs. Bowser stage redone in HD glory as well, but maybe with a few platforms here 'n' there. I would love to see platforms on Bowser's Castle too, even though the hazards are fun, it seems just a bit empty.
It would also provide more opportunity to replace the other Mario Kart themes with Mario 64's Koopa's Road. I'd also throw my vote in for switching the Peach's Castle and Bowser's Castle slots.

Last edited:

Smash_Ronin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2277-7158-4313
don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet, but i just caught a small glitch in Saffron City. i used lucario's spirit bomb from the far side of the helicopter platform which rises and falls between the two buildings (as opposed to the outermost) and i noticed that as the platform raised, my spirit bomb raised with it, as if the platform were it's own, stationary plane. but when the spirit bomb reached the end of the platform it instantly transported from where it was now traveling to where it would have been traveling if that the platform hadn't been moving at all. i don't know if this is true of any other helicopter platform in the game, but seems like something that should be fixed in my opinion

Sandfall

Stage Designer
don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet, but i just caught a small glitch in Saffron City. i used lucario's spirit bomb from the far side of the helicopter platform which rises and falls between the two buildings (as opposed to the outermost) and i noticed that as the platform raised, my spirit bomb raised with it, as if the platform were it's own, stationary plane. but when the spirit bomb reached the end of the platform it instantly transported from where it was now traveling to where it would have been traveling if that the platform hadn't been moving at all. i don't know if this is true of any other helicopter platform in the game, but seems like something that should be fixed in my opinion
That's a known bug with Lucario that's been around for a while. It happens on Green Hill Zone too. Unforunately, there's not much we can do about it at the moment.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
The only stage I really miss is Mute city
a Mute City Remaster would be the greatest thing ever

Love the new Castle siege but I have some friends that have a hard time seeing their characters on it. Personally I have no issues so they may be colour-blind. Yoshi's Island Brawl EDIT COOL WOLF TECH, Also what are peoples thoughts on the slopes near the edges?

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

Love the new Castle siege but I have some friends that have a hard time seeing their characters on it. Personally I have no issues so they may be colour-blind. Also why does Yoshi's Island Brawl still have slants by the edges They add nothing to the stage and result in weird things occurring man, certain moves are also way too good at edgeguarding on the slant.
Cool profile picture.

Speaking of fixing weird stages, I think that Green Hill Zone can be easily non-walk-offable just by removing the bridge and making the camera spread out more, I've done so in my build.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey

Love the new Castle siege but I have some friends that have a hard time seeing their characters on it. Personally I have no issues so they may be colour-blind. Also why does Yoshi's Island Brawl still have slants by the edges They add nothing to the stage and result in weird things occurring man, certain moves are also way too good at edgeguarding on the slant.
The slants create cool Wolf tech and either way shouldn't be sterilized. Don't like the ledges? Ban it. That's why it's a counterpick.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
The slants create cool Wolf tech and either way shouldn't be sterilized. Don't like the ledges? Ban it. That's why it's a counterpick.
Good to know. Only seen it do janky things so I wasn't aware there was tech you could do off of it. They can stay (I actually like Yoshi's quite a bit) I love the things you can do with the support ghosts and I feel its a good counterpick vs projectile characters due to the red shyguys/stage slopes.

Last edited:

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Cool profile picture.

Speaking of fixing weird stages, I think that Green Hill Zone can be easily non-walk-offable just by removing the bridge and making the camera spread out more, I've done so in my build.
I didn't realise you were talking about the alternate for green hill so I was very confused. I personally am not a fan of that stage. But its always cool to see people making stage edits on non legal stages.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
We now return you to your regularly scheduled stage discussions:
This time we'll be discussing a stage new to 3.6: Delfino's Secret!

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
It's beautiful, but very busy. The background is a little more distracting than initially thought.

I liked the old size a little better, and coming from me (I hate huge stages!) i think that is definitely something to consider.

Is it still considered doubles viable or did it make it to singles? I know it's not popularly legal, but this is still something that should be noted.

NTHPlayr

Smash Cadet
NNID
NTH112
So is Delfino's Secret a starter stage or a counter-pick stage? Same with the PM version of Castle siege, is the stage a starter or a counter-pick stage?

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Love it love it love it love it love it. If TOs reject it again I will cry.

Kinda disappointed the remix had no a capella in it though, it's really more of a SMB1 remix without that.

Narpas_sword

So is Delfino's Secret a starter stage or a counter-pick stage? Same with the PM version of Castle siege, is the stage a starter or a counter-pick stage?
These sorts of questions are answered by your TO.

But if you go by the proposed standardised ruleset, the bottom row, 5 in the middle are starters, and the center row middle 5 are the cp's.

Delphino replaces dl64 as a starter, with slightly smaller walls.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I really like the design being carried over from Dracula's castle to a smaller space. The gameplay works well and transitions flow nicely with combat. My one gripe is that the background feels too busy, but that is a personal opinion and doesn't hurt the actual stage in any way.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Delfino's Secret is an amazing stage! I had some really great sets on that stage tonight and I love the fact that it replaces Dreamland as a starter stage with its new blastzones. Keep up the great work PMDT!

Now for Metal Gear to get their own legal stage... :3

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Can't hurt to repeat some of what I've said earlier. I like that you used Drac's Castle in a thematically appropriate way. I also like how it was adjusted to see tournament life. Because of that, regular Delfino is easily accessible for anyone feeling nostalgic for a gentleman's match.

That said, I don't think it will see much action. It'll probably end up a niche stage like Lylat. People are already autobanning it at tournaments and calling it jank or something. I think the background can be distracting. There was definitely one time where I saw the yellow spinning platform and thought it was on stage. I think that we could get used to that since the stage was created so close to it's origin, but I also think moving the main platform a little farther away could help and we'd get to see more of the stage that way.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I've haven't seen this stage banned yet. We use it as a starter at all of our events and like only one player has complained. I don't get the background complaints, but they seem pretty common so it's probably worth looking into. Platform layouts are awesome and lead into some very interesting play given their apparent uniqueness.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Not related to the current topic, but some of the stage elements on Castle Siege are a little too close to the action. Mewtwo's tail and D3's spotdodge for instance phase through the foreground and near-background elements of Sunset and original phase 1, as well as the statues in phase 2. Wasn't as noticeable with Castle Siege on page 2 in the past, but might be worth a touch-up down the line.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Not related to the current topic, but some of the stage elements on Castle Siege are a little too close to the action. Mewtwo's tail and D3's spotdodge for instance phase through the foreground and near-background elements of Sunset and original phase 1, as well as the statues in phase 2. Wasn't as noticeable with Castle Siege on page 2 in the past, but might be worth a touch-up down the line.
In this regard, a lot of stages clip with enter animations, especially Samus', though I'm pretty sure that's an issue in all Smash games. Like Infinity said, it's not too noticeable, not too big an issue.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Speaking of image layering issues, go use Pit's final smash on Distant Planet (PM). This has been a glitch since that stage was introduced.

DundG

Smash Rookie
Even if I got a little to late for the discussion of "frigate orpheon" neither I saw a thread, made for suggestions. So I just post it here:

Since 3.6 stages got altered designs. So I got a idea for an new frigate orpheon like stage. How about a stage placed in metroid fusion? In the background we see Nightmare, flying up and down and slightly in circles.

The stage could be a brighter alt of frigate orpheon. Also the stages 180 degree flip is more reasonable in this design, cause Nightmare can alter the gravitation (the core could glowing when everything is upside down) giving the area a whole new and in my opinion epic and nostalgic touch. I don't know how complicate it will be, since the parasyte queen is fully animated and I wish it for nightmare too. But thats just a suggestion.

sorry by disturbing you in your regular discussion ^^°

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
As much as I like Nightmare I rather see another stage from Prime as an alt for Frigate Orpheon.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I knew it would never happened, but that doesn't mean I'm not bummed that Dracula's Castle wasn't turned into an Eternal Darkness stage. Everything fit absolutely perfectly, and Eternal Darkness is a way underexposed game that is far better than Luigi's Mansion or Super Mario Sunshine.
Nevertheless, I'm glad that there's no longer unexplained Castlevania content, and the new dimensions are much closer to reasonable. That's especially important for a stage with such fun movement, although I still don't think I can choose it just for that. Overall, I think it's one of the better stages in the game.
The background I think is just fine, except… the stage is completely unintelligible in teams. With twice the players and the primary colors and all that movement and everything zoomed out, I can't even keep up with myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom