• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Doesn't Brawl always give you neutral starting positions in a 1v1? Did PM change that?
It's done on a per stage basis. I think that the spawn points for Dreamland were done that way to match Melee/64.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I was going to post this in the bug reporting section but I'm not entirely sure if it's a bug.

I played Infinite Glacier tonight, being the Falcon main that I am, I wanted to have fun slipping-n-sliding around with tech stuff. To my horror, I couldn't moonwalk. I thought it might have been a bug so I tried it with several characters. The only character that it worked with was Lucario; this was after testing about 9 characters with noticeable moonwalks. If this isn't a bug, I hope moonwalking gets added on Infinite Glacier. After all, it is a slippery stage.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I was going to post this in the bug reporting section but I'm not entirely sure if it's a bug.

I played Infinite Glacier tonight, being the Falcon main that I am, I wanted to have fun slipping-n-sliding around with tech stuff. To my horror, I couldn't moonwalk. I thought it might have been a bug so I tried it with several characters. The only character that it worked with was Lucario; this was after testing about 9 characters with noticeable moonwalks. If this isn't a bug, I hope moonwalking gets added on Infinite Glacier. After all, it is a slippery stage.
That's just a byproduct of the way ice collisions work in Brawl (dash dancing on ice doesn't work either). To fix that, we'd have to modify global ice physics, which would probably not be ideal.

jtm94

Smash Lord
The new Distant Planet is pretty cool seems a tad smaller. I think the new Norfair could be a little smaller surface area of main platform wise.

This isn't a complaint as I can take this into my own hands, but is there any current interest in replacing the top row of stages with viable doubles stages? I did this in 3.0 for all of my local stuff and overall people generally enjoyed doubles far more on stages better suited for it than the likes of GHZ, Warioware, Yoshi's Island (Melee), and FoD.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Why are sky world's platforms still clouds??
IMO,that was the problem with Brawl's Skyworld.The layout with solid platforms would lead to a lot of early deaths which felt cheap(fighting in the cavern,hit upwards,you bounce off at the wrong angle and go flying down to the hole before you can move.)

On a side note,those Retro stages are really beautiful.In terms of detail,they are as rich as Smash 4,and they look great,especially being fan-made and all.

BTW,I hate Yoshi's Island Melee.The small blastzone on the bottom and sloped edges lead to a lot of...unfortunate events.It's probably the only stage around I don't like.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Because replacing them with the solid platforms looked ugly.
I'm confident your art team could find a way to make it work.
Wouldn't really be Skyworld without milking the Sky theme. Would it?
I don't really think over all theme of the stage is dependent on 3 clouds.
IMO,that was the problem with Brawl's Skyworld.The layout with solid platforms would lead to a lot of early deaths which felt cheap(fighting in the cavern,hit upwards,you bounce off at the wrong angle and go flying down to the hole before you can move.)
That's not what I'm asking for.

D

Deleted member

Umm... in future versions, will Saffron City get a graphical overhaul?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
they are literally unable to create stage hazards.

unless something has changed within the last few months and i haven't heard it.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
they are literally unable to create stage hazards.

unless something has changed within the last few months and i haven't heard it.
Literally? Opposed to figuratively? Haha, naw, I understand, though they did take out a bunch of pre-existing hazards, like Norfair's lava, for example. Is it possible to take elements from the Subspace Emissary? I've always wondered, it'd be cool if they could make bullet bills occasionally spawn on Peach's castle, and put the blast cannon back on Kongo Jungle.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
those are things that they cannot make. they can turn hazards that already exist off, but they cannot make hitboxes (which even the kongo jungle barrel counts as) from scratch on a stage : /

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
those are things that they cannot make. they can turn hazards that already exist off, but they cannot make hitboxes (which even the kongo jungle barrel counts as) from scratch on a stage : /
Oooooh, well that explains a lot, haha.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
New Norfair is a favorite, and I'm not just saying that because a couple of my characters perform well there.

New Hanenbow is really cool. I doubt it'll ever be legal or anything but you guys did a great job improving the stage design. The interactive platforms and the leaves as ledges are fun, unique touches that allow some interesting options.

Infinite Glacier is really wheeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee fun.

Lylat's cool, but some of the background visuals can be a problem and imo should be toned down or removed if possible.

Model updates are fantastic. I've always been partial to Hyrule Castle so the remodeling is a welcome change.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Why shouldn't Hanenbow be legal? It seems okay to me. I think the layout offers some unique gameplay.
I really like Hanenbow, but I'm not sure it'd get any real traction as a legal stage. From what I've seen, 10-15 stages seems to be enough for most people and the bottom two rows give 14 legal stages already. Plus there's the issue of projectiles on the platforms as mentioned above. The ability to manipulate platforms with hitboxes is neat and could even have some strategic applications, but nullifying many projectiles when used at certain heights is probably too intrusive a stage element to grant legal status.

Last edited:

MaxThunder

PM Support
Because replacing them with the solid platforms looked ugly.
Could the clouds be made thinner and have a solid platform of some kind placed on top?.. something like a tablecloth would be hilarious=P...

or have something different for each platform if the same looks boring...

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, i like new distant planet. it's kind of an alternate dreamland (though, much reduced blastzones...).

my only complaint is that the leaves move too far down, imo. i don't mind them moving, in general, just not as low as they can currently move to.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
so, i like new distant planet. it's kind of an alternate dreamland (though, much reduced blastzones...).

my only complaint is that the leaves move too far down, imo. i don't mind them moving, in general, just not as low as they can currently move to.
Oof, I like the leaves.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
The new 64 stages look splendid. I’ll admit, I did fall for DL’s Warpstar a couple times.

Hanenbow and Infinite Glacier are amazing; I’ve been waiting for basically these stages for a long time. The amount and kinds of elements present really toe the line of overfull, which is perfect. Unfortunately, they lie just on the wrong side of that line, but I’ll bring that up when they’re the topic. As they are, they’re still incredibly cool, interesting, fun stages, some of the best in the game.
The only real complaint I have at this time is that I honestly preferred the atmosphere Brawl’s Hanenbow created with its emergent chimes over only subtle ambiance, and that the new song combines dissonantly with more hectic matches.

GabPR

Smash Lord
It would be cool if the clouds of skyworld could be flat on the top, their current shape makes it difficult to waveland on them effectively (at least for me). Other than that, I enjoy the stage a lot.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
We now return you to your regularly scheduled stage discussions! This week we'll be talking about Meta Knight's favorite stage: Battleship Halberd!

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Halberd had camera issues after leaving the ship deck in 3.02. Were those fixed in 3.5? I haven't played on the stage yet, admittedly.

My fave stage in all of Smash, and removing the arm hazard only makes it better. That said, I don't think it can be legal in this game where the stage selection is vast and diverse. Hazards are non-intrusive but still enough for people to not like the stage, but imo it's perfect as is and doesn't need to be changed. IIRC there was some experimentation with this stage as a CP a while back, but I'm not sure how that worked out.

Only suggestion I'd have is to make the bottom platform solid to avoid sharking/whatever, even though limited ledge regrab invincibility makes it significantly less effective as a strat anyways.

TL;DR: leave it as is

unrelated, but Halberd has the game's best tracklist.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
No real opinions on this stage, haven't played on it.
I love the normal platform layout. I dislike the transformation that is basically an FD. Have no idea what the blast-zones are like.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
We now return you to your regularly scheduled stage discussions! This week we'll be talking about Meta Knight's favorite stage: Battleship Halberd!
I love the hazards and I miss the claw, but I think the layout is rather... Dull, the "main platform and secondary platform" design is too excessive in Smash it seems. Especially since, aside from the flying platform segment, the stage is fairly large. Perhaps the inclusion of a few more platforms at the docking bay and launching bay? Maybe the flying platform segment could have a similar design to the 3.5 Norfair, or in addition, two solid side-platform-things flying next to the main solid platform, akin to those chunks by Green Greens? I'm no expert though, something vastly different structure-wise that takes advantage of the ship's size would be nice.

shapular

Smash Ace
Good stage, easy CP, but is not legal at most tournaments because people literally think "too many legal stages" is an actual thing.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I wish you guys could figure out a universal ruleset to incorporate all competitive stages into tourney so more strategy can and variety could be offered. Currently so many good stages are ignored since they aren't exactly what people are used to.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I wish you guys could figure out a universal ruleset to incorporate all competitive stages into tourney so more strategy can and variety could be offered. Currently so many good stages are ignored since they aren't exactly what people are used to.
Not having a universal ruleset is intentional. The PMDT encourages TOs to come up with their own rulesets.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not having a universal ruleset is intentional. The PMDT encourages TOs to come up with their own rulesets.
That's unfortunate, if it were universal then people could know what to look out for and practice stage wise. IMO it's very confusing the way it is and right now a ton of good stages aren't being used because they are unpopular and that's a shame but hey it's your guys baby so there's nothing I can do I suppose. (Maybe you guys will change your mind when pm is finished?)

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, that's not really happening and doesn't really happen for any game. Everybody's all "TKbreezy said this was the best stagelist so obviously he has to be right" or "if this stagelist is good enough for The Big House 4 it's good enough for me".

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
We have a Facebook group going with TOs from nearly every region made almost specifically for this, we're letting regions develop the game and mess around with the stages for a few months before we get together and see if we can agree on a ruleset
no promises but there's plans

MagnesD3

Smash Master
We have a Facebook group going with TOs from nearly every region made almost specifically for this, we're letting regions develop the game and mess around with the stages for a few months before we get together and see if we can agree on a ruleset
Good, I hope you guys (and I assume you are) are trying out different types of stages to explore counterpick options and such because there are sooo many good stages.

shapular

Smash Ace
Just let me have my PictoChat, please. It's one of my favorite stages.

Top Bottom