• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion Thread ~ Smashville

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Risen, not Rose. Rose is a girl's name.

What is this AiB? My bad Risen. Your name is awesome.
Name's a srs business. The amount of times I've been called Fiod......

Imo you should talk about Brinstar next. I actually like this level. The lava helps with not getting gimped, the bubbly things are awesome for Dair (you can pogo off them to avoid lag if you don't fast fall it) the strange things on the sides of the stage holding the platforms can be used to lengthen hitboxes (as in, the hitbox stays out longer not you get a longer hitbox, that would be the broken), it's really good against chain grabbers as they have a hard time there, it's just a good stage for Link. One of his best? I'm not a Link mainer so I wouldn't know.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If you thought that was strange, this next bit of info will blow your mind. Fox is openly deceptive, IS NOT A FOX MAIN!
wtf?

I don't even play Link in friendlies. If you must know, I main Toon and I know heaps about Link through testing. Like the original Link tech thread I made was simply my Toon tech thread that I tested on Link to see what they had in common. Add in a bit of bomb sliding and Jab locking practise and bam, I may as well main Link with all the stuff I know about him.

That and Scabe made me XD.

Knowledge is power. I know all about your character. Think about it. It helps.
I still get beaten by Scabe, but still XD, it does help.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Fox is openly deceptive, IS NOT A FOX MAIN!
wtf?
Ahhhh! My mind! It is blown!

Wow, Fox really IS deceptive. And I still can't play Toon Link to save my life, so props. Haha, I think they're similar enough that when I play him I play him perfectly identically to how I play Link so I mistime things, like overshooting the edge with my B up, underestimating my zair's (and the pseudo-identical sword moves in general) length, the floatiness difference, and the dair. I hate his dair; not for its sake, but because I always try to float up with it when I use a "rising" dair. Haha, I have the same problems with Lucas and Falco/Fox; I play Ness and Wolf, so my Lucas, Fox, and Falco are all terribad (I have given up any hope of playing Fox at all. I just run and upsmash. It's literally the only move I do. Needless to say, I have NEVER won as Fox).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can play heave/fast falling characters decently but anyone who knows what they're doing can beat me. Floaty characters feel too unnatural.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm sorry for de-railing the topic XD. And as much as I'd love to start talking about Toon and Fox, we should focus more on stages in this thread. Read the last thing I said about Brinstar.

IYM!

Smash Lord
If you thought that was strange, this next bit of info will blow your mind. Fox is openly deceptive, IS NOT A FOX MAIN!
wtf?

I don't even play Link in friendlies. If you must know, I main Toon and I know heaps about Link through testing. Like the original Link tech thread I made was simply my Toon tech thread that I tested on Link to see what they had in common. Add in a bit of bomb sliding and Jab locking practise and bam, I may as well main Link with all the stuff I know about him.

That and Scabe made me XD.

Knowledge is power. I know all about your character. Think about it. It helps.
I still get beaten by Scabe, but still XD, it does help.
aaaaaaahhhh......

now i understand, well toon link are similar with link, that explain a lot of things jajaja

Ryos4

Smash Lord
While their play styles may be different to some people. I play Link and TL roughly the same way.

Though i think he means that they are similar in terms of techniques, attacks, and what not. Link and TL both can do nearly all the same ATs due to the similarities in their moveset. Some are different due to their vastly different character attributes, and slight different in moveset.

Link & TL mains have got to get over the "I am nothing like him." When it is obvious they are. It's like Link and TL are fraternal twins and they both want to be their own person so badly that they deny their heritage. Or something lol.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
i know, but i mean, if you can play with toon link, you will know one or two things about Link
I didn't mean to appear to be offended about it. Sorry if I came across that way.

True, you'll know a thing or two about Link but a lot of ATs are different and (in some cases) inapplicable. That's what I meant.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Smashville time, does anyone go out of their way to pop their balloon? I don't know why but I don't like this stage that much. I tend to lose my matches here.

I really like how it's flat and there's no platforms in the way, it doesn't screw up with bomb footstool stuff. I don't like how small the stage is.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I hate this stage in general. Not as much as lylat but its really close.

Anyway i like small stages, and the balloon gets in my bombs way sometimes but not enough to be a real hassle. The real problem is the platform that is just out to get me.

Good things about it are...
Its smaller then FD (I like small stages)
The balloon can be fun to kill
No stupid lip to kill you
Platform can help you sometimes (though not for me)

Bad things are...
Its smaller then FD (Some people dont like small)
Balloon gets in your way
Platform can save opponents
Really close to a walk off stage and can get early Fthrow or Bthrow kills that Link really cant take advantage of.

Rizen

Smash Legend
There's not much to be said; it's the most neutral stage in the game. I don't like this stage or Yoshi's Island for starters, another will almost always be better.

Lucario not being able to wall cling is the exception.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I really like Smashville. The platform can help you recover, it's a neutral stage, it's large but not huge, it has a platform but not enough to interfere...

I DON'T like Yoshi's Island, but I think Smashville is probably my favorite level. It's nice and simple, and nothing is there that can really distract you.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Ahh smash ville, so much hate for it and yet we have one person who likes it. lol.

Also ive been playing on brinstar and im starting to support the good stage for Link theory.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Ahh smash ville, so much hate for it and yet we have one person who likes it. lol.

Also ive been playing on brinstar and im starting to support the good stage for Link theory.
Brinstar for a really long time has been proven a good stage for Link. Not sure back to when but it's a great stage for crappy recovery. I personally can't play there. I'll have to adjust.

Smashville is a great stage for Link. Lotsa room to spam and space.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Things ive noticed about Yoshi's island is that the slope near each ledge makes it hard to do ledge hop fair. The shyguys jump in front of your projectiles, possibly even blowing up in ur face. The platforms that pop up save your opponents or screw up Links zair recovery overall causing you trouble, unless you're one of the lucky ones. The tilting platform can sometimes be bother some. Also the slopes of the stage allow yoshi to cancel Dspecial and wolf to go straight in his Fspecial.

Personally i like YI. I feel it makes chain grabbing slightly harder. A platform is always a good thing to have in my opinion. I dont really do the ledge hop Fair. Also slopes dont really effect much of Links game play but can cause some people trouble.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I hate Yoshi's Island a lot. Most of it probably stems from when I play as Ganondorf and can't autocancel his dair (or Wolf with his fair) except for in very specific parts of the stage, or when as Ness PK Fire on the ground becomes essentially worthless. In theory the recovering platforms are nice but they mess me up more than anything and I feel like they help out other people more than me. If Link lands on one while it's falling down Link usually can't jump double jump B up because you still have the ******** downward momentum affecting your B up, cutting its already deperessingly short vertical height even lower. The shy guys mess up my projectiles, the rotating platform irks me, and certain moves that can be autocanceled out of a short hop will get messed up (Ganon's spike as mentioned, Wolf's fair, I usually only get one slash out of the ledgehopped fair for Link, full hopped dair bounced on a shield, uair, etc.; well, at least I don't think those last two will unless you go downhill). It is nice that Link can bomb himself against the side of the stage to help recover though.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I like bombing myself on the sides of the stage to recover, it hasn't been to useful, I kinda just use it to show off.

The stage does mess up heaps with spacing, Like projectiles and Zair sometimes go over the opponent depending on their size.

I'm starting to like this stage alot though. I use to not like it that much.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Personally i like YI. I feel it makes chain grabbing slightly harder. A platform is always a good thing to have in my opinion. I dont really do the ledge hop Fair. Also slopes dont really effect much of Links game play but can cause some people trouble.
Yoshi's CG is surprising here, his tongue aims up or down on slants.

The side slopes are a killer vs characters with tilt-with-the-slope attacks like G&W's Dtilt. TLink's Dsmash can gimp and Wolf has sneaky slope tricks too (I can't remember specifically). Do not take them here.
Link's Dtilt has a different angle too.

I might take a campy Falco to YI. Mostly I dislike it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well how about we move on to some non neutral stages to make things interesting?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Okay would you please look through the OP...

Though unfortunately the person in charge of this thread hasn't really been updating it.
FD
BF
SV
YI
Have all been discussed. With a few other stages sprinkled in with a small amount of discussion.

How about we just go with Link's "best stage," Brinstar.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Brinstar!

I don't like anything with platforms, primarily because I like my gameplay straightforward. A flat surface will do: let the characters dish it out. The acid tends to add damage to me and Ike just U-airs me for a Star KO. Also, I always mistake the Chozo statue walking about as a potential enemy and attack the air in front of it relentlessly...getting me punished again.

It's a small stage, reminiscent of BF. Does it play similarly?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think norfair isnt always legal in some places.

Good about it:
Obvious points. Lava helps Link recover. Lava also may stop chain grabs if ur lucky.

But for Brinstar. I like riding the lava up pretty much whenever i have no other option. While i dont jump into it, if i cant safely get away from it I'm fine with taking the hit. It makes it look like ur vulnerable, but really Link is perfectly fine. My opponents usually try to hit me out of the lava knock back and then get smacked and killed by a Dair.

The bottom portion of the stage i find sort of hard to navigate my ground based attacks. The unevenness of it makes it harder for me to land tilts and grabs, along with the destructible parts causes Link to slow down even more. But at the same could be said for many characters. Luckily for me Link does great jumping around the stage with his projectiles and zair.

When the destructible parts are destroyed the stage only gets better for Link as it gets wider and leaves more area to run around.

Utilt can still hit the someone on the left or right platform from below. Though it causes Link to slow a bit which may be dangerous. Top platform is perfect for throwing bombs up. If it explodes in the center of it, no matter where you stand on it you are bound to be hit.

This is also one of the few stages i can easily make use of Uair.

Also if Link catches someone who is riding on the lava with dair, they are pretty dead.

Bad about it:
The semipermeable stage makes it hard for me to do a Fair ledge hop, and sometimes i just fall to my death. It also allows certain characters to camp beneath the stage, though Link can handle that pretty well with bombs and Dair. Also if they really mess up and ur really lucky, you may land a Dtilt spike.

When the center of the stage is broken apart, theres a chance Link could fall through to his death if hes not careful.

Destructible parts cause Links laggy attacks to be even laggier.

Characters with advantage on this stage that i know of:
MK can camp below safely, not so much against Link.
Snake cant be gimped as easily, grenades can be bounced all over the place with dthrows.
Yoshi can take advantage of his Dspecial cancel on the right side of the stage, and can Uair from below the stage.
TL has the Dsmash gimp on both sides.
Wolf can use his straight side special on slopes.

Disadvantage to:
Light for star Ko
Projectile reliant characters like Pit,
Chain grabbers

Top Bottom