• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You seem to be including Sonic Heroes, Riders, and Sonic '06 all under the "Adventures" series.

I wouldn't.
I would, simply as a matter of course. Those games sucked. Every last one of them. I think we can all agree on that, for the most part.

And SuperAce, being the total geek that I am when it comes to Sonic canon I have to make an amendment as to the "slow Knuckles" comment. No, Knuckles is nowhere near as fast as Sonic. Believe it or not, it's one of the few things that Heroes got right. The reason why Knux is able to face off against the Blue Blur in the first place is because of his prodigious strength and endurance. One good example that I can readily cite was in the Super Sonic and Hyper Knuckles special back in '95 (or something like that). Sonic was running circles around Knuckles, kicking and punching the beejeezus out of him. Knuckles couldn't land a direct hit on him until he used the environment against Sonic---the mofoing echidna yanked a tree out of the freakin' ground by it's roots and tripped Sonic up with it. The end result was freakin' hilarious. Sonic got flipped around by his own momentum and got stuck into the tree by his spines. :laugh:

Smooth Criminal

Del Money

Smash Champion
And SuperAce, being the total geek that I am when it comes to Sonic canon I have to make an amendment as to the "slow Knuckles" comment. No, Knuckles is nowhere near as fast as Sonic. Believe it or not, it's one of the few things that Heroes got right. The reason why Knux is able to face off against the Blue Blur in the first place is because of his prodigious strength and endurance. One good example that I can readily cite was in the Super Sonic and Hyper Knuckles special back in '95 (or something like that). Sonic was running circles around Knuckles, kicking and punching the beejeezus out of him. Knuckles couldn't land a direct hit on him until he used the environment against Sonic---the mofoing echidna yanked a tree out of the freakin' ground by it's roots and tripped Sonic up with it. The end result was freakin' hilarious. Sonic got flipped around by his own momentum and got stuck into the tree by his spines. :laugh:
in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, they made Knux fast but its not like they didnt do that with Tails. and plus i called Sonic being a bit faster than the other two in that game and also Knux couldnt jump as high and the others. and for the comic, oh it was great. especially when Hyper Knuckles whirls his fists like wheels and plants his feet right into Super Sonic's forehead. such brilliance...
Smooth Criminal
(that way...i didnt have to say it)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I would, simply as a matter of course. Those games sucked. Every last one of them. I think we can all agree on that, for the most part.
I guess that's one way of looking at it, but since they don't carry the "Adventure" title, I separate them in my head. Especially Sonic Riders, since it's a racing game.

And I do actually love Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but that's largely to do with my Sonic fanboyness. For some reason the fanboyness didn't carry over quite as well to Heroes, Riders, etc.

Del Money

Smash Champion
...maybe because they sucked, lol.
HSAHAAHHAHAHAHA oh that was so QFT. and i havent even played Riders yet, but my fanboyishness is saying "buy it now mother****er!". but yeah SA1 and SA2 werent great but they were far better than ****ing Sonic Heroes (which gamespot actually gave a 7.4 WTF). but i do kinda wanna try Riders. is Riders better or worse than Sonic R (for those whove played Sonic R)?

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
Mastering the mysterious art of Quantum Edge Physi
Riders sucked, IMO. But that's just my opinion. The controls were worse than.....well, they were just bad.

And I don't believe anything Gamespot says. Heroes, in reality, is more of like a 5.0, although that's probably a little generous.

Gamespot FTL. B64 = 4.1? Gamespot, **** yourselves.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I don't understand the "riding part" in Sonic riders, Sonic doesn't ride, he runs...... I just guess the board thing was for the whole, birds were your enemies. Though Sonic doesn't need to air board if he's Sonic. Well I liked SA2, it wasn't great, but still was something that I wasn't ashamed of playing all the time.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, they made Knux fast but its not like they didnt do that with Tails. and plus i called Sonic being a bit faster than the other two in that game and also Knux couldnt jump as high and the others. and for the comic, oh it was great. especially when Hyper Knuckles whirls his fists like wheels and plants his feet right into Super Sonic's forehead. such brilliance...
Haha! That was awesome. I couldn't stop myself from laughing when Knuckles did that. He kinda reminded me of an A-1 Abrams tank that had buzzsaws for wheels. I also liked the scene right before that, when Knuckles just sliced out a piece of the Special Zone and smacked Sonic in the face with it---announcing it the whole freakin' time. "All the better to smack you with, Super Sonic!" WHAM! Knuckles runs up, holdin' that **** two-fisted, and clocks him goooood. I believe there was a big two-page picture; you got to see Sonic get his *** handed to him in good detail. It was corny, classic, and genius. :laugh:

NRWC, you're literal to a fault. Lol. But that's alright. You are entitled to yer lurvh of the Adventure games. I'm a huuuuuge Sonic fanboy, too. It's just I didn't feel much love towards any of the 3-D outings that Sonic has made (though I do have to say that Sonic 3-D Blast was the worst Sonic game EVER. All of the current games are gems compared to that one). Genesis/Game Gear Sonic (yes, Game Gear Sonic games; I've played all of them, even though they sucked hard) was what made it for me.

And Joe Soup, Bomberman is coooool. I used to play Atomic Bomberman for my comp all the time.

Smooth Criminal

Edit: Bomberman 64 got a crappy review? HORSE****! That was an awesome game.

Second Edit: Sonic Riders was (comparably) better than Sonic R. However, it's by a very slim margin. I'd recommend renting it.

Del Money

Smash Champion
@k-sw!zzle
dont tell me you didnt like the airboarding/snowboarding parts in the SA games

@Smooth Criminal
Bman64 getting that rating pissed me the **** off (although ive never played Bman64 lol) and gamepot is crap (i know i bring em up alot but only cuz i hate them so much). as for Sonic Riders , was that glitchy with camera issue like the 3D platforming Sonic's or was it just the gameplay thats par at best (like in Sonic R)?

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
I'd say the gameplay just wasn't deep enough. There was nothing wrong with the camera (at least to my knowledge)--it's just that the controls / gameplay was about as deep as a Mario Party game. It got old after a while. And the storyline was crap, too.

And yes, the snowboarding / airboarding parts in SA were fun, but making a whole game around it (Sonic Riders) = megaphail.

@Smooth

Lol...Atomic Bomberman FTW!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd say the gameplay just wasn't deep enough. There was nothing wrong with the camera (at least to my knowledge)--it's just that the controls / gameplay was about as deep as a Mario Party game. It got old after a while. And the storyline was crap, too.

And yes, the snowboarding / airboarding parts in SA were fun, but making a whole game around it (Sonic Riders) = megaphail.

@Smooth

Atomic Bombermaaaaaaaan!

Anyway. I'd have to go with what Joe said. The gameplay was really, really shallow and the controls were crap. Admittedly, it was a little more fluid than Sonic R (though not by much).

I take most game reviews (and reviewers) with a grain of salt. For example, take the Darkness. As much as I love GI (Game Informer), they gave it an 8.75 out of 10. I sit here and ask myself, "Why?" because the game sucked balls. The AI was horrible, the CGI was crap (the mouths didn't move in sync with the words during some cutscenes), and the Darkness powers felt gimmicky. It's like the game was really, really rushed at the last second. I don't even wanna mention multiplayer. Ugh. The graphics and presentation were great (the story was great), but it definitely didn't merit such a high score.

Smooth Criminal

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
Alright, I gotta throw in my 2 cents and more. While I agree that pretty much everything Heroes and after disappointed immensely (especially Shadow the Hedgehog...don't get me started on that garbage...), I honestly enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2. I would have enjoyed SA1, but between Amy's, Big's, and (to a degree, Tails') gameplay, and the totally unnecessary overworld, I couldn't enjoy the rest of the game.

Anyway, to stay on topic, even though many of Sonic's 3D games were fail, there's no reason that his look and some of his moves can't come from those games. I personally enjoy his new look, and the upgrades that you get in SA1&2 give you a deeper pool for a moveset.

P.S. I know it's blasphemy, but I liked Bomberman Hero much more than Bomberman 64...heck, I couldn't even bomb jump in 64 XD

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
P.S. I know it's blasphemy, but I liked Bomberman Hero much more than Bomberman 64...heck, I couldn't even bomb jump in 64 XD
WTF man?!?! Go to hell, you freaking Communist *******.

Lol, jk. It' okay to have your opinion. But seriously, Bomberman Hero sucked balls. Major balls. Maybe even more than Act Zero.

Okay. That's going a little too far. AZ sucked. But a B-man game with no multiplayer?

Hero = phail.

AZ = megaphail.

Edit:

Smooth, I agree w/ everything in your post about SR.

Del Money

Smash Champion
thats another game i heard was God-awful...and i was gonna buy the PC version on ebay too
Anyway. I'd have to go with what Joe said. The gameplay was really, really shallow and the controls were crap. Admittedly, it was a little more fluid than Sonic R (though not by much).
so basically rent Sonic Riders (or wait til it sells for like 5 bucks on ebay..oh wait...it already does
Smooth Criminal
(saved me the trouble)

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
WTF man?!?! Go to hell, you freaking Communist *******.

Lol, jk. It' okay to have your opinion. But seriously, Bomberman Hero sucked balls. Major balls. Maybe even more than Act Zero.

Okay. That's going a little too far. AZ sucked. But a B-man game with no multiplayer?

Hero = phail.

AZ = megaphail.

Edit:

Smooth, I agree w/ everything in your post about SR.
HAHAHAHA! I always get that reaction, but I guess I should have mentioned that I never played anything from the Bomberman series until 64, so I didn't have the standards already in my mind like I would for a Sonic game. Also, I will admit that the multiplayer for Bomberman 64 beat many levels of ***

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
I will admit that the multiplayer for Bomberman 64 beat many levels of ***
You better believe it. Why they stopped making them like that with the isometric overview and the anti-grid mentality is beyond me.

thats another game i heard was God-awful...and i was gonna buy the PC version on ebay too
It was okay. Not as bad as most. I wouldn't pay money to buy it, although it probably goes for less than 5 bucks on eBay. Just download it via torrents--I mean, legally download it.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
okayyyyyyyyy................. now for something completely different

I wonder if there is a petition for sonic to be in brawl?

*note* i apologize if this idea was already posted

that way he could have a greater chance of being in the game though its probably too far in development for a late inclusion of he if hes not in the game its seems like a good idea.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I wonder if there is a petition for sonic to be in brawl?
well no...but there might be a petition that youll be interested in *unsubtle allusion to signature*
that way he could have a greater chance of being in the game though its probably too far in development for a late inclusion of he if hes not in the game its seems like a good idea.
trust me, any consumer demands towards Sega or Nintendo for Sonic to be in brawl will more than likely be put in the same trash can as Sakurai's nail clippings

Star105

Smash Journeyman
well no...but there might be a petition that youll be interested in *unsubtle allusion to signature*
trust me, any consumer demands towards Sega or Nintendo for Sonic to be in brawl will more than likely be put in the same trash can as Sakurai's nail clippings
Well it was just an idea since he has a greater chance of getting in if alot of people keep pressuring sega to include him (even if he's already in the game or its too far in development)

though you have valid points

blinkd

Smash Cadet
I don't think there should be anymore discussion on whether sonic will be in Brawl....he's gonna be in it without question

Garuda

Smash Ace
Sonic won't be in Brawl, and I hate Sega for deciding on that. I'll cut to the chase; I DON'T WANT TO PLAY A ****ING OLYMPICS GAME. If you wanted to settle a rivalry, do it the way warriors do-- BLOODY warriors, not this Olympics crap. Plus, this is proving who's FASTER?! What do you think we are, four?! Naka wanted a giant RUMBLE in SMASH BROS, you're nothing without him, Sega, so you should follow any advice he left behind.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Sonic won't be in Brawl, and I hate Sega for deciding on that. I'll cut to the chase; I DON'T WANT TO PLAY A ****ING OLYMPICS GAME. If you wanted to settle a rivalry, do it the way warriors do-- BLOODY warriors, not this Olympics crap. Plus, this is proving who's FASTER?! What do you think we are, four?! Naka wanted a giant RUMBLE in SMASH BROS, you're nothing without him, Sega, so you should follow any advice he left behind.
Woah-hoah there buddy! Take a deep breath and calm down.

Now, I do agree that I would rather play Sonic in Smash Bros than in the olympics game that is planned. However, don't automatically assume that Sonic will not be in Brawl just because Mario and Sonic are in a game together. It's been said before and I'll say it again, SEGA is making Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. NINTENDO is in charge of Smash Bros.

I agree with what you said, I just get a little annoyed when people automatically make assumptions based on one peice of evidence that has already been debunked several times.

Sonic for Brawl.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Debunked? Forgive me, but I haven't found the answers. I've looked everywhere I could.

I'm sorry about my mood. Stress from family, and somehow I've spread it onto here. Now I just think negative.

EDIT: Oh wait, thought you meant about "That's not on the cards atm". That theory of him pretty much saying it to skip the question does raise my interest though...

Del Money

Smash Champion
dammit Garuda you just ****ed up my mood again
I agree with what you said, I just get a little annoyed when people automatically make assumptions based on one peice of evidence that has already been debunked several times.

Sonic for Brawl.
debunked...DEBUNKED????!!! you know what been debunked? Sega's ****ing competence thats whats DEBUNKED. and all their CEO's can go screw themselves if they think theyre doing us a "favor" by not coming out with the news that Sonic is not in. i WANT to believe that Sonic will be in. hell, im hoping that if WASNT in, we would know already but the cloak of secrecy is ABSURD. how many of us KNEW that Sonic 2006 was supposed to be a 3D remake of the first Sonic game for Genesis? how many of us now know that Sonic 2006 is really nothing like Sonic 1? how many of us KNEW that Sonic had a good shot at brawl? how many of us KNEW that Sonic was UNDOUBTEDLY gonna be in as the next 3rd party? inagime what the hell we'll all know by 12/3/07

Cenedar

Smash Ace
H'okay, apparently I need to rephrase what I said, seeing as I indeed sounded like an idiot.

I'm not automatically assuming that MaSATOG either confirms or de-confirms Sonic from Brawl, I was just trying to calmly explain that making assumptions either way at this point based SOLELY off the existence of the Olympics game seems foolish.

And I agree, SEGA is indeed full of ****. I want to believe Sonic is in as much as you Del Money, but they are being stupidly adamant about being all secretive about it. Sorry if I ticked you off, that was not my intent.

Sonic for Brawl, and SEGA better ante up or they will initiate an apocalyptic disaster unlike anyone has ever seen.

Garuda said:
Debunked? Forgive me, but I haven't found the answers. I've looked everywhere I could.

I'm sorry about my mood. Stress from family, and somehow I've spread it onto here. Now I just think negative.
Hey, don't sweat it. I guess I kinda jumped the gun too for a bit, I've already revised my statement.

Sonic for Brawl.

Del Money

Smash Champion
you didnt tick me off Cenedar. its just that every time Garuda goes on a negative streak, it brings out the pesimist in me. i start thinkng more clearly about what possibly stupidass blunder Sega could possibly do to screw up a golden opportunity. and now its becoming clear...2007 will either be the turn around of the Sonic franchise, or the unrecoverable-from downhill slump

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace

EDIT: Oh wait, thought you meant about "That's not on the cards atm". That theory of him pretty much saying it to skip the question does raise my interest though...
I gotta know if Sonic's in or not just as bad, it's hard being patient but were at least gonna get an answer some time.

Man, these are the days I wish Sonic Team still had Yuji Naka, Sonic never ever went downhill, and SEGA was just half-way smart, but noooooooo.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
you didnt tick me off Cenedar. its just that every time Garuda goes on a negative streak, it brings out the pesimist in me. i start thinkng more clearly about what possibly stupidass blunder Sega could possibly do to screw up a golden opportunity. and now its becoming clear...2007 will either be the turn around of the Sonic franchise, or the unrecoverable-from downhill slump
QFT. If SEGA manages to screw this up, then I will have lost faith completely in their ability to handle their own characters, especially big ones like Sonic (I'm surprised I have any faith left after Shadow the Hedgehog.... shudder....).

That's why I'm hoping Sonic is in as well, I'm sure if Nintendo had a chance to put Sonic in a game then I'm sure they could find a fresh idea or two to try and bring Sonic out of this swamp of mediocrity. I trust Nintendo and I think that giving them a whack at bringing Sonic into a game would be a chance worth taking.

And it's okay about the mood, I just didn't want to piss anyone off, although sometimes on these forums it's hard to accomplish lol.

I'll admit, I like SA2:B and SADX for the cube. But apart from those and some of the 2D games, Sonic has been unfortunately manhandled by SONIC TEAM (go figure, eh?) and thrown forcefully into some spectacularly forgettable games.

Even so, I'll keep waving this flag of mine, the big blue one that says, "Sonic for Brawl, new management for SEGA."

EDIT: Dayam, I need to change my avatar. Del Money, k!llsw!tch and I have the same one lol.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I can't help but think SEGA is just giving up period on Sonic. With failure after failure you would of thought they would have gotten it right by now. I think SEGA doesn't even read reviews, or listen to their critics that are sometimes right. They think they are to good to listen to us like an immature, stubborn, little kid. If they don't put Sonic in Brawl they'll feel like they have lost nothing because they assume people will just buy Sonic games anyway. It's like talking to little people.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
No Cenedar. All Hedgehog On This Page Ftw
I lol'd hard on that one. Hedgehog army wins the internet!

I can't help but think SEGA is just giving up period on Sonic. With failure after failure you would of thought they would have gotten it right by now. I think SEGA doesn't even read reviews, or listen to their critics that are sometimes right. They think they are to good to listen to us like an immature, stubborn, little kid. If they don't put Sonic in Brawl they'll feel like they have lost nothing because they assume people will just buy Sonic games anyway. It's like talking to little people.
Aww come on now, where's the hope? Yes, SEGA is full of ******* and are digging the grave for one of the best videogame characters ever, but I like to think about the old saying in times like this.

"It's always darkest just before dawn."

Call me stupidly optimistic if you will, but I still will at least have a little faith in SEGA's path to redemption, starting with putting Sonic in Brawl.

But you do have a point, SEGA seems to be run by snot-nosed little ****ers.

SONIC FOR BRAWL!

Del Money

Smash Champion
Man, these are the days I wish Sonic Team still had Yuji Naka, Sonic never ever went downhill, and SEGA was just half-way smart, but noooooooo.
naka doesnt **** around. he knows whats up. was naka involve in the first Sonic Adventure?
I'll admit, I like SA2:B and SADX for the cube. But apart from those and some of the 2D games, Sonic has been unfortunately manhandled by SONIC TEAM (go figure, eh?) and thrown forcefully into some spectacularly forgettable games.
ill admit i like SA:DX and SA2:Battle as well. yes and i liked Shadow The Hedgehog's gameplay but not the repetiton or voice-acting or horrible attempt at making him a badass. but yeah Sega needs to turn it around. Sonic is a big game and if theres not doing whatever it takes to protect their meat and potatoes then theyll end up with tofu instead

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I lol'd hard on that one. Hedgehog army wins the internet!

Aww come on now, where's the hope? Yes, SEGA is full of ******* and are digging the grave for one of the best videogame characters ever, but I like to think about the old saying in times like this.

"It's always darkest just before dawn."

Call me stupidly optimistic if you will, but I still will at least have a little faith in SEGA's path to redemption, starting with putting Sonic in Brawl.

But you do have a point, SEGA seems to be run by snot-nosed little ****ers.

SONIC FOR BRAWL!
I'll have to trust you on this one, but if Sonic's not in brawl it'll just seem more like they don't care for the blue blur.

@Del I think Naka stopped during Sonic Heroes or somewhere around there..... I'll check..........

Del Money

Smash Champion
*struggling to fill this page before a non-Sonic avatar comes*

im just hoping that Sega will turn this around. pessimism doesnt help but it puts things into perspective. im not even sure if Sega is thinking about how the development of M&SatOG is going or whether itll even sell well. everyone expects it to either be like Mario Party with sports games instead. or just be another Wii sports. i just hope they can at least find a way to make it good. in this meantime, they cant just use that as an excuse to throw away Sonic for brawl. heres the problem though...the first announcment for M&SatOG CONVENIENTLY came out while everyone was first speculating about Sonic in brawl...that ****ing scares me

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Atta boy k!llsw!tch. We just need to have a little hope is all. After all, it's all we really can have at this point.

Something tells me Naka did leave around the time of Sonic Heroes because that's when the games really started getting a little off for me. If he was still around... he'd whip Sonic Team's collective butt for screwing his character over so bad.

On the realtively brighter side, if Sonic is in Brawl then we will cheer like maniacs. If he isn't... well... we can enjoy ourselves as we storm the SEGA of Amercia HQ with sticks and clubs in hand.

Sonic for Brawl!

EDIT: Quickly now! Fill this page with our hedgehog army! We must build our numbers if we wish to storm SEGA! >.>

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Darn it all, so much for an all Sonic avatar page lol.

So let's see, Joe Soup is on board to storm SEGA, anyone else want to vent their frustration on the silly little people that continue to screw Sonic into the ground?

Sonic for Brawl.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Dammit Soup, This Was An All-sonic Avatar Page ****kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom