• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Bros. Brawl Complaint Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Does something about Brawl disappoint you? Do you want to vent about it? Well, we've been getting a surge of topics including many complaints about different aspects of Brawl, so instead of having the board continue to be 1/2 complaining topics, we can just have this thread. And you can also use this thread if you want to complain about the complainers. So complain your hearts out in this thread, people.

I personally only have 2 complaints about Brawl so far. The first is the lack of alternate costumes, which I think was a very highly requsted feature. The second is IF slipping is truly random, then that would have to be one of the dumbest decisions ever made by a single game developer.

And thats all I have to complain about. Everything else about this game is simply legendary, and I still think its going to be one of the best Nintendo games of all time.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
So far my only complaint is that a loser like Lucario replaced a legend like Mewtwo.

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
I complain about people making new threads complaining about people making new threads complaining about brawl :3

See? and I didn't make my own thread to say this ;)

ROFLs

Smash Cadet
I haven't played the game so nothing to complain about, except that I am sick of everyone else complaining. :\

TheZeroOne

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully people will use this and not take up more space in the "General Brawl" section.

My only complaint is also about slipping and why it was needed and no Megaman.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I pretty much second what SP has said:

1. Tripping sucks, if it is indeed completely random. No sense whatsoever in putting that in there.

2. No alternate costumes for anyone but Wario is lame. Samus' different suits from Fusion/Prime would've been cool, Ike's Lord outfit would have been cool, etc.

And to add one of my own:

3. People complaining about "zomg this game is terrible because it isn't Melee 2.0 and doesn't have all the Melee advanced techniques" need to seriously shut the eff up. Or better yet...GO BACK TO THE MELEE DISCUSSION BOARD AND LEAVE THE REST OF US THE EFF ALONE. Thanks.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Ironically, this will probably spawn several complaint threads on its own.

I like the idea though. Contain all of the misplaced and unjustified hatred into one thread, then once the game comes out, close it >_<

Single flaws do not make the whole worthless. People just have to appreciate what they're going to get. Since it IS more than what we had, and it will definitely be worth the money its going to be priced at, we have no right to complain. Or if we do, then keep it within perspective of the actual game.

As in, "I'm disappointed with the roster, but I acknowledge that the rest of the game will still be awesome."

Notice how boring that is? Almost not worth posting complaints at all...

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
First to complain about bad online in this thread.

Also nothing related to Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a good idea, at all, actually, and I'm really disappointed that a moderator is seriously locking threads about complaints.

A post with all the complaints being listed doesn't solve anything. In fact, it makes it more chaotic. People will post complaints that have nothing to do with each other, and most importantly, it's ridiculously hard to respond to them if they're all centralized.

I really hope you reconsider locking complaint threads; stifling dialogue is not cool. I know a lot of them are pointless and boring, but complaints really reflect the nature of what people feel about Smash.

Essentially, I think it's great that you think the game is legendary, but I don't see why that would make you stop people from complaining effectively.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
This isn't a good idea, at all, actually, and I'm really disappointed that a moderator is seriously locking threads about complaints.

A post with all the complaints being listed doesn't solve anything. In fact, it makes it more chaotic. People will post complaints that have nothing to do with each other, and most importantly, it's ridiculously hard to respond to them if they're all centralized.

I really hope you reconsider locking complaint threads; stifling dialogue is not cool. I know a lot of them are pointless and boring, but complaints really reflect the nature of what people feel about Smash.

Essentially, I think it's great that you think the game is legendary, but I don't see why that would make you stop people from complaining effectively.
Complaint threads are pointless, its just moaning and crying about a game they will spend their money on regardless... they all need to sthu imo.

Disco Ninja Monkey

Smash Apprentice

People just want to vent. Putting it all in one thread instead of every other thread is better.

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
Complain about the complainers you say? I will then

ITS THE BEST GAME EVER SHUT UP AND DEAL WITH IT BLARGASHARG *random angry noises followed by left side going numb and initializing a heart attack*

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
This thread wins. :p

I have no complaints, though.

Well, maybe Pika could have used an extra costume or two.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Complaint threads are pointless, its just moaning and crying about a game they will spend their money on regardless... they all need to sthu imo.
Thanks for your reasoned, well-thought out argument.

In all seriousness, why is it so f*cking hard for people to disregard complaint threads? Some people have legitimate issues with the game, and even though you have every right to tell them to stop, they have every right to ignore you.

I agree that it might help to make a separate board for complaints so it's separate from people contributing information about the game, but I don't think one thread is enough for the reasons I listed above.

I think that's a really fair and balanced compromise.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

I assure you that I, nor any other moderator on these forums, truly do not intend to stifle dialogue. I'm simply striving to organize the boards a bit better.

Can you imagine a person coming to the boards, expecting the intelligent and competitive community that Smashboards is known for, only to find the boards flooded with people complaining about the game? Do you know the number of PMs I, and several other mods, have received of people begging us to just "ban" complaints altogether? Is it right for threads that have very worthwhile purposes to be falling down the boards because people are more interested in complaining, or bashing those who complain, than actually contributing to further understand of the game?

There is no way in hell I'd consider censoring complaints. That would be a horrible idea. But its also a horrible idea to allow so many complaining threads for the reasons I stated above plus many others. So the best solution? Allow people to complain, but just keep it a bit more organized.

Kruton

Smash Ace
In fact, I totally agree with you. Doesn't he have the least color choices? I think he deserved a few more at least, including a party hat or some shades.
He's stuck in Melee, with four costumes =/

Yeah I hate the random tripping. I've been playing it, and I still don't understand how/why it happens. It happens when I walk, it happens when I dash, I just don't know.

And yeah this thread is sweet, all other threads that have complaints should be locked from here on out now ^_^

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for this thread, since it is definitely necessary at the moment.

I hesitate to complain about Brawl, because I know it's going to be amazing, but I really do wish that either Wolf or Falco were replaced by a more deserving character. Star Fox really didn't deserve three character slots; one of those slots could have gone to Ridley, an Animal Crosser (Tom Nook!), or pretty much anyone! It wouldn't be so bad, except their move sets are pretty similar (though I know they aren't clones). I think that a wider diversity of characters would have made more people happy.

Didn't the character choices leave anyone else with a feeling like, "What were they thinking when they chose THESE characters?" Still, there are a lot of new characters this time around, and I'm really excited about most of them and all of the returning characters, so even though this is a complaint with one of the core aspects of the game, it's a minor complaint.

I'd have never made a separate thread about this, so I'm really glad for the official thread. :)

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I assure you that I, nor any other moderator on these forums, truly do not intend to stifle dialogue. I'm simply striving to organize the boards a bit better.

Can you imagine a person coming to the boards, expecting the intelligent and competitive community that Smashboards is known for, only to find the boards flooded with people complaining about the game? Do you know the number of PMs I, and several other mods, have received of people begging us to just "ban" complaints altogether? Is it right for threads that have very worthwhile purposes to be falling down the boards because people are more interested in complaining, or bashing those who complain, than actually contributing to further understand of the game?

There is no way in hell I'd consider censoring complaints. That would be a horrible idea. But its also a horrible idea to allow so many complaining threads for the reasons I stated above plus many others. So the best solution? Allow people to complain, but just keep it a bit more organized.
I agree with what you said, but this isn't the best solution, because this doesn't make it very organized.

You make a legitimate argument for why complaints should be separated from useful information, but in that argument you essentially agree that half of the posts on these boards are complaints (some of which are reasonable and thought out) and legitimate responses to those complaints. So what happens when you take half of those complaints and stuff them into one thread? Chaos. People don't bother to read them, people won't respond legitimately to them, nothing happens.

I understand that many people just complain to vent. I don't, I want there to be changes made (which, as I argued in my post about Wi-Fi features, can happen with patching). I think well-reasoned complaining on changes that can be implemented is legitimate, but putting them all here doesn't help matters at all. As I argued before, it kind of just lets them fade away. I know that's what a good amount of people want, but I really think people need to start seeing the benefit of discussion.

So essentially: you're right that legitimate topics will be pushed down by complaints.

My argument is this: make a separate board for complaints. What are the benefits?
1) People who don't like complaints will NEVER have to rant about the amount of complaints again, because they can just skip the board entirely instead of sifting through this one to get information.
2) People interested in talking about the game's issues can actually post knowing that there's a good chance their complaint gets read. As stated, your method won't insure that, and it will stifle the chance that people will respond to it.
3) It makes SO MUCH MORE sense for you. With your method, you have to manually lock all threads about complaints here for people who just ignore the sticky. With mine, people will see that there's a place for complaints. Granted, people will still post complaints here accidentally, but the number will be much less than this method.

I think that's a very well-reasoned argument for why the compromise of having a separate board makes sense, and I look forward to your response to it (there might be technical difficulties to getting it set up, but on a theoretical level it makes the most sense).

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I agree with what you said, but this isn't the best solution, because this doesn't make it very organized.

You make a legitimate argument for why complaints should be separated from useful information, but in that argument you essentially agree that half of the posts on these boards are complaints (some of which are reasonable and thought out) and legitimate responses to those complaints.
Given that I'm a moderator, I have to spend alot of time on these boards. I've seen many, many, complaining threads, and very few of them are actually reasonable and well thought out. And you know what kind of responses the reasonable threads, as well as the silly threads, get? Flaming. One-liners. Facepalm pictures. There are barely any truly legitimate responses in complaint threads.

So what happens when you take half of those complaints and stuff them into one thread? Chaos. People don't bother to read them, people won't respond legitimately to them, nothing happens.
If they don't respond to them, doesn't that mean they weren't worth a thread in the first place?

I understand that many people just complain to vent. I don't, I want there to be changes made (which, as I argued in my post about Wi-Fi features, can happen with patching). I think well-reasoned complaining on changes that can be implemented is legitimate, but putting them all here doesn't help matters at all.
Well, the threads you're talking about aren't really complaint threads in my eyes. A thread that says "That sucks! They should've done this!" is COMPLETELY different from a thread that says "That problem could potentially be fixed if they do this" (although the suggestions should be within the realm of possibility, i.e. even if its well-stated, if it is a 0% chance it could happen, then whats the point of arguing it?). I personally wouldn't lock a thread with well-reasoned complaining that included changes that could be legitimately implemented in the game.

My argument is this: make a separate board for complaints.
Sorry, that idea isn't very good. You're saying that we should condone and facilitate people complaining about the game, as well as people flaming those other people. A board like that would deteriorate into flame wars within a matter of hours, and it'll be unsalvageable. Plus, it would become obsolete once the game is released.

I'd love to stay and debate this back and forth (its fun to debate things intelligently) but I have to get back to studying.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
good idea, panda. hopefully this will stem the tide that has flooded over the whole of the brawl board.

my thoughts on all the complaints: points to sig.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I remember Bowser's update. Here is a quote from it: "To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around"

I notice the slight part, but still, most Vets are unchanged. Let's look at Luigi. He has the same moveset from Melee only with Buffs. Sorry, those don't count. The Poltergust would have been a perfect option as a move for Luigi.

Falco, another potential character to have his own moveset. His A moves were altered, however, his specials were changed to a degree that's not acceptable. He throws his reflector now... He could have used a Gattling Gun, Smasrt Bomb Launcher, and Rifle.

Take Ness, at least he got some animation changes (grated though it should have been more).

I think Sakurai was low on imagination here. All you had to do is make a slightly different effect with a brand new animation for most characters. Most clones should have becombe radically different. No, Ganondorf is not radically different because he has Raptor Boost+Flying Slam.

And, most newcomers have some un-original moves:
Dedede: Inhale, Super Dedede Jump
Pit: Mirror Shield,
Metaknight: Tornado, Dimensional Cape (teleport from Mewtwo)
Squirtle: Water Gun=FLUDD 0.5, Withdraw=Yoshi's Egg
Ivysaur: Razor Leaf=non-returning Boomerang, Vine Whip=All tether recoveries and Sheiks chain
Charizard: Flamethrower, Fly=Fox Fire
Wario: Bike, Cork Screw=generic spin upwards
ROB: Laser, Top=Turnip, Booster=Cypher+Rocket Barrel Boost
Lucario: Extreme Speed=Teleport visible, Inner Focus=Counter, Aura Sphere=Shadow Ball

Those are just a few without mentioning clones. The Final Smashes are also really, really, really un-original:

Mario/Samus/Lucario/Pokemon Trainer=Same
Wario Man=Powered Up stats
Volt Tackle/Super Sonic/Octopus=Same
Light Arrowsx2/Critical Hit/Blue Falcon/Dark Beast Ganon=Same
Tri-Force Slash/Great Aether/Galaxia Darkness=Same
Super Dragon/Rocket Barrel Barrage=Similar enough
Palutena's Army/Waddle Dee Army=Similar Enough
ROB's FS=Super Spicy Curry
Bigglypuff=...

And the items. The Assist Trophies piss me off the most. Saki, Samurai Goroh, Knuckle Joe , Little Mac, Waluigi, and Gray Fox are the same. They may have some different effects, but they just move around and hurt you, that's all. Even the more original ATs are underwhelming (Jill, Kat and Anna, Hammer Bros).

I loved the ATs that were mentioned at WHOBBY. I liked Eevee, Onix, Regigas, Rosalina, Duster, Pegasus Knights, and Sothe. What happened to them?

Anyways, that's my tirade.
When I poseted this originaly in my own thread, I got flamed because "you'll buy the game anyways". As true as that is, it doesn't make the game any better. I am aware some A moves were changed ,but they weren't drastically altered. I have seen almost every single BDCool vidoe, and hundreds of others, I know each characters moves, Special and Standard. They could be better. Look forwards to my Youtube series, The Way it Should have been. I'll post how I think each character's Movesets should have been.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Thank you SamuraiPanda, can I request a sticky?

I would have liked more events, alternate costumes, and would like for the complaining to stop.
My only major complaint is that there are so many complaints.

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
I am upset that there is no form of online ranking system. I feel it would help people battle those of equal skill, and keep things interesting for everyone.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you're not going for that idea, I might as well add to this.

The online feature of Brawl is awful. It relies on a bureaucratic system of constantly changing 64 friend codes just to get options that should be allowed for free play, which I think is easily fixable.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
The lack of Isaac on the playable roster is a bit of a let-down. Krystal and Ridley seemed to be the best choices that were overlooked. I'm a huge supporter of Takamaru, too. I wanted a lot 0f other characters, actually... I actually thought Sigurd had a chance. =( Micaiah too. At least Lyn made it as an assist trophy. I love Fire Emblem. I hope the Roy rumor is true.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Random slipping and people who say it's not gonna' be as competitive. It's going to be just as competitive, just in a different manner.

Sir James

The Doctor
I had no complaints about the game until I started to hear about tripping/slipping. It wouldn't bother me too much if it was caused by something specific. If it's entirely random then there is a serious problem. It's a game mechanic that does not belong in a fighting game. Can you imagine something like that in Street Fighter? "Oh sorry, your Hydoken didn't formulate properly. Try again".

I'm hoping we get an official explanation about it on the Dojo sometime soon.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I actually agree with Samurai Panda's complaints. Tripping = fail. Alternate costumes = BUT WHY AREN'T THEY THERE?!

One thing I would like to get out the way: For all of you about to complain online, UNDERSTAND THIS.

You know those lines that say they want to "protect children" from "online predators" and beefed up online "scares away newcomers"? THOSE LINES ARE FALSE, THEY ARE NoA DAMAGE CONTROL. NoA does not deserve your hate, it is Nintendo of Japan. Nintendo of Japan built the Wii with the Japanese audience in mind. The Japanese do not like the big features we've come to love in superior services like Microsoft, even though they have superior internet! This is why you have no voice chat, friend codes, etc... and thusly Nintendo penny pinches and has such a crappy online. I am NOT saying that the online is justified. I am only saying this because you must realize that you are not Brawl's only audience, and moreso if you must know why online fails, say the RIGHT reason.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
My only complaints have been the complainers taking up half the space on the boards. I actually made a thread for it like an hour ago which got flamed to death. I was so angry I just couldn't help myself. The only people who get respect around here are pros and podcasters, hence why this thread is so successful. -.- I can't help but feel I helped spur this thread on.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to start anything with the SWF staff, but why the hell would you even START a thread like this? Why would you encourage a horde of people to complain about a game they haven't played for one single second? Why allow baseless and misguided negativity? This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom