• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Roster Discussion

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Simple answer, really. "Stickers are the opium of the masses..."
Extra crap thrown in to soften the blow.
"At least I have my stage builder to hug..."
You bet! The best feature ever! Next Smash should be titled, "Super Smash Brothers: Future Perfect"!

I wonder if anyone will get that?

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but what is your problem?

I don't know why you are getting so hostile towards me, especially when I said nothing to you.

Chill out.

The Japanese fans got just as disappointed as the rest of the world. I don't know where you get off thinking the Japanese have different tastes and the Japanese alone.

Stickers had no real effect against the roster. I don't know why you think that either. The amount of coding a sticker would take is minimal at best; even trophies would take more work because trophies are 3d rendered as opposed to stickers being 2D rendered.
It's the thought put into the stickers that could have been better employed elsewhere, not the memory. No one wanted stickers, no one needed stickers. Retrospectively, no one really needed nor wanted trophies, either.

JAPAN LIKES TINGLE. 'nuff said. If there are sad Japanese gamers, I empathize with them, being a minority in their own country. Or at least Famitsu is the minority, in which case I hope it gets stamped out into oblivion. Not even a single point off?

Apologies if my response was hostile. It seemed like your post was directed at me, seeing as some other people are taking my post as a rant and not an (attempted) objective analysis of why people in general are unhappy with the roster.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
What baffles me is how people believe Falco took Krystal's spot.

Falco was always going to be in, people! Wolf is the one who took Krystal's spot. So if Krystal was in, Wolf wouldn't be. It was a choice someone had to make. But I do believe most people are pleased with how the SF reps came out. I'm frankly pleased with the whole roster. I'm gonna enjoy this game for many, many years to come.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
if r.o.b. was megaman, this game would be perfection. Absolutely no flaws. However, as it stands, it is merely an incredible game.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
but he is not technically a video game character, which IMO ruins the basis of smash bros. He is a piece of hardware, what will be in SSB4? Nintendo wii console as a PC?

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Some people might argue that ROB64 is a videogame character based on the original ROB. It's a BS argument, because ROB and ROB64 are completely unrelated, but some people might argue it anyway.

SmashBro15

Smash Rookie
but he is not technically a video game character, which IMO ruins the basis of smash bros. He is a piece of hardware, what will be in SSB4? Nintendo wii console as a PC?
He's the main character in Gyromite, and he actually is IMPORTANT in the history of Nintendo.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
He's the main character in Gyromite, and he actually is IMPORTANT in the history of Nintendo.
maybe, but most people remember him as a cruddy piece of hardware. You argue he's starred in a game? Megaman has starred in many, and while he isn't a nintendo character, no-one can deny his iconic status as a video game character.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
I'm ok with the roster. If megaman, or geno made it in I would think it was really good. If Claus made it in I would think it was perfect.

He gave us more of what we wanted this time around than he did in Melee.

If you're here, let me just surmise that you are fans of Melee.

If it didn't matter that 100% of the roster wasn't 100% perfect then, why doesn't it matter now?

Azamgi

Smash Rookie
I like it overall. I agree there are some wasted opportunities, but overall I think they did a good job.

Think of it this way... they didn't just stick all these clones in and sit around doing nothing because they were done. They worked incredibly hard on the game, without much rest. Any more would have delayed the game even longer.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I only hate Toon Link and Snake. First I hate R.O.B. too, but now I like him.

ROB is technically in Gyromite. He may not be seen, but it is implied that he is in the game lowering the pipes that block Professor Hector's path.

And ZaeYeL, we've seen videos.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
I think it's the final roster. I haven't seen any other noticeable characters in the story mode. (They all appear at some point in the Subspace Emissary)

Just to be random, I think it would funny if Nintendo came up with the idea to download more playable characters over wifi lol

ZaeYeL

Smash Cadet
iv seen videos to but no one has hope? lol? i know on youtube "final roster 35 chars" but i mean before that they thought 34 was final, idk, i guess it is..... well its an alright roster, they rly got lazy on 3 same final smashes on the 3 land masters, i like wolf, not rly towards falco, falco shouldnt of returned, i like marth returned cuz him and yoshi r my main, and rob is pretty koo, i think im pretty satisfied.... i just kinda think that its gay they didnt put in Geno, or Megaman, or Krystal, instead of wolf or falco, (falco bye imo lol) and why remove mew two he had a good moveset just needed to be faster, and no gannon / falcon change? "luigified" as u guys say, idk, gannon needs an orig moveset i mean he has nothing related to falcon punch lol, but overall i like the new chars, (sonic pit ike rob wolf kingddd lucario toonlink even )

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
What baffles me is how people believe Falco took Krystal's spot.

Falco was always going to be in, people! Wolf is the one who took Krystal's spot. So if Krystal was in, Wolf wouldn't be. It was a choice someone had to make. But I do believe most people are pleased with how the SF reps came out. I'm frankly pleased with the whole roster. I'm gonna enjoy this game for many, many years to come.
i disagree. 3 near clones and 3 Landmasters? i do not think most people are pleased with how the SF reps came out.

This is the final roster. The source, Markman, predicted exactly 35 characters, exactly 41 stages. Not only that, but Reno, who had similar information, backed him up and said ROB, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Marth, Lucario, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Mr. Game & Watch, as well as deconfirming Ridley. And for stages, as we can see, we've got 41 stages in total.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
i disagree. 3 near clones and 3 Landmasters? i do not think most people are pleased with how the SF reps came out.
Clearly, you haven't visited any of their forums. The Landmasters are the only cloned parts of them. The three of them are actually more different from each other than Mario from Luigi.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Falco is officially decloned, Wolf was never a clone to begin with. Basically, we got three original SF characters with the same final smash. Not unreasonable, but certainly unforeseen.

Take that, Falco/Wolf bashers! WHERE'S YOUR ISAAC AND GENO NOW?

antimatter

Smash Lord
hey, i never bashed those characters. that's insulting to those who did support lucas and geno and didnt mock others.

antimatter

Smash Lord
I had some bad experiences with haters, though. I'm just taking pride in the fact that I was right.

Don't blame me, blame the inferiority complex.
ah, the same basic idea as "guns kill people the same way spoons make rosie o' donnel fat".

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Viroxor said:
Clearly, you haven't visited any of their forums. The Landmasters are the only cloned parts of them. The three of them are actually more different from each other than Mario from Luigi.
brawlmaniac said:
Ok you can say Falco is a clone of Fox, but you can't say that about Wolf. Have you even seen some videos of Wolf fighting?? I don't think any of his moves are like Fox's except his Up-B and his final smash. He has a very original moveset.
Viroxor said:
Falco is officially decloned, Wolf was never a clone to begin with. Basically, we got three original SF characters with the same final smash. Not unreasonable, but certainly unforeseen.

Take that, Falco/Wolf bashers! WHERE'S YOUR ISAAC AND GENO NOW?
That is wrong and you know it. The only special moves Mario and Luigi now have that are remotely similar are their ^B moves and Neutral B moves (which make sense). Mario no longer has the spinning for his VB, Luigi never had the cape for his >B. Smashes have been completely different since melee. AND he gets his own FS. It might be lame, but at least it's unique.
Yet Fox, Falco, and Wolf still have VB = shine of some sort, ^B = Firefox of some sort, Neutral B = gun of some sort, and >B = Phantom Fox or whatever it's called. With slight variations, these are basically repeated in three characters. The only reason they play differently is because they have different stats, which was basically what made the clones in Melee play differently. But that didn't change the fact that they are clones. Hence, Falco and Wolf are clones. Especially since they all have landmasters, which is consistent with the Link/Toon Link and Ness/Lucas issue. At least they gave Ganondorf a unique FS, even if he still more clone than not.

Oh yeah, and I'm not bashing Falco/Wolf. They deserved to be in (at least one of them, though both isn't excessive). I'm bashing you for being so ignorant of the fact that they are clones and deserved much better movesets than what they got. I agree that you shouldn't be hating on Isaac/Geno fans. Geno didn't have a chance in hell, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a fanbase. I had never heard of Isaac before and I thought he was one of the more likely to get in. People weren't unreasonable in expecting him to make it onto the roster. The fact that you associate Geno/Isaac fans with Falco/Wolf haters obviously implies that you are misinformed.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Yeah, well, clone or not, I'll continue to play Falco for the same reason I started. Because he's the best character in the Star Fox series and one of my favorite Nintendo characters overall.

So yeah, I was wrong about the Mario/Luigi thing. I'm maining Luigi, I just haven't figured out that much about him yet, as far as Brawl goes, at least.

But, if they could make LUIGI have an original moveset, would it be so hard to completely declone Falco or Wolf? Or even save themselves the trouble and just put in Krystal? It's confusing. I'll give you that Luigi has the whole "Luigi's Mansion" thing going on, which provides a lot of his stuff. But other than that and his jump height, he and Mario are almost identical in their games!

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, well, clone or not, I'll continue to play Falco for the same reason I started. Because he's the best character in the Star Fox series and one of my favorite Nintendo characters overall.

So yeah, I was wrong about the Mario/Luigi thing. I'm maining Luigi, I just haven't figured out that much about him yet, as far as Brawl goes, at least.

But, if they could make LUIGI have an original moveset, would it be so hard to completely declone Falco or Wolf? Or even save themselves the trouble and just put in Krystal? It's confusing. I'll give you that Luigi has the whole "Luigi's Mansion" thing going on, which provides a lot of his stuff. But other than that and his jump height, he and Mario are almost identical in their games!
That's a very valid point. I was at least expecting Falco to be completely decloned. Wolf deserved to be in instead of Krystal for multiple reasons, but I would have preferred Krystal in if she wouldn't have been a Fox clone.
I don't know why Luigi gets his own moves (he could have been even more luigified with his Mansion vacuum thing, which although from a shiity game, would still have made him more unique), but I agree that if he gets new moves then plenty of other clones deserved them as well. And we got landmasters, instead.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Just posting here so that this thread will show up again...
I'm kind of sick of the bytching in the "people who should've been in brawl" thread...
This was at least a little more productive: discussing clones, who actually might have had a chance, ways to possibly fix it (I wonder what's happened to the random BC (I think) post about Nintendo's "secret" thread or the official coded content on the brawl disc thread...I liked them...oh well, we'll assimilate them if necessary...).
And to stay on topic, now that we know the extent of Ridley's "boss-y-ness" via Subspace leaks (granted, he's got two battles, which is more than other bosses), do we really think he deserved to be demoted to that?

Top Bottom