• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Rhode Island SSBB Thread

Shears

Smash Master
My names David Shears and im currently a student at Virginia Tech but i live in Rhode Island and ill be there over the summer. Im looking for some Rhode Island or southeastern massachusettes brawlers to play against over the summer so i dont suck when i go back to school in the fall. If there is anyone out there, PM me or reply here. Or if anyone knows of people give me their names and ill try to reach them.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Hi Shears! Do you have AIM? There's a bunch of us in RI. :) I wanted to make a RI Brawl player finder, but I guess you beat me to it.

Shears

Smash Master
sweet well my aim is scallawaged. i wont be in RI for about a month, but when im home i want to make sure ive got some good competition to keep me in shape for when i got back to school.

i want to know what my RI competition is going be so lets see what you guys are like so far:

(me)
1. main character - Meta Knight
2. secondary character - Diddy Kong/ROB
3. favorite stage - Yoshi's Island
4. least favorite stage - Pirate Ship

supersonichaos

Smash Rookie
Oh hey wassup. Miguel from Providence here. There really are a bunch of RI brawlers, I know a bunch. Just let us know when you wanna brawl.

shanus

Smash Hero
Here all the time up in Providence, there are a bunch of us competitive players at Brown.

Shears

Smash Master
Here all the time up in Providence, there are a bunch of us competitive players at Brown.
yah but will you be there during the summer? im talking after schools out in may because until then im stuck in virginia. unless you all live in rhode island and go to brown, in that case we could play up in providence.

shanus

Smash Hero
yeah i know ill be there for the summer as will a couple other competitive players

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill proly be here too....
please, anyone good play me, im tired of running all over all of my friends,

this is goggles, the official unofficial best smash player at johnson and wales

let me know if you wana play, im always looking for good ppl to make better
and just so you know...

main: Sonic baby all day!!!
Alts: Chainthrows (D3 + falco) wolf, lucario, ganon, and kirby
stage: smashville
if you wana play me, i have ppl over to my house every friday to play and if you want to come i can give you my phone number

FreckleHead99

Smash Rookie
hey im from pawtucket
i suck but im trying to get better
i like to use toon link.

also i think there is a place we can use if you guys want a tourny, this place called disposible heros. its in Johnston and if we go ask then to use the space we can have a big tourny

Shears

Smash Master

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yo check it out, one of my dawgs runs yugioh tourneys at disposable heroes like every week. i could defitiely get a spot there. when ever yall wana do that. also i think that i will be running a tournament at my apartment in a couple weeks. also, anyone who wants it, i can pm you my home phone number so that you guys can get in touch with me and find out how we can connect.

and like i said, i got ppl at my house every friday night and if you want to get in that let me know, i am desperate for competent competition

KOdEx

Smash Cadet
I'm in Fall River, Mass... It's basically Rhode Island though. PM if you wanna trade friend codes or something and it would be nice to have a tourney in Rhode Island because it's close :)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
1. main character - Peach, Olimar
2. secondary character - half the cast, really.. ^_^
3. favorite stage - Distant Planet, Pictochat
4. least favorite stage - Final Destination

There you go. :)

Also, I'm working on getting a RI tournament soon. Though I don't want to schedule something during someone else's tournament if it's in New England.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It depends when the next esticle is. But we could make arrangements to play sometime. Next week is my last week for 2 of my classes.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
My house is generally clear and we have 4 TV's and one broke one!!! i know awesome... so could hold a tourny here. PM me if u want my phone # and yes I know I typed Luigi as my main.... dont correct me!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Holy crap, RI players! More than I knew existed, lol.

In any case, if anyone is interested in getting some practice in before MM, feel free to PM me! I live in Wakefield, and I'm up for a match pretty much anytime this week.

Edit-Dakid, how many people do you think would show up to your place on Friday? And are you planning on going to MM?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
So maybe we should make this the official RI thread or something. Shears, feel free to rename the thread as such (it will likely get more attention with such a name).

Personally, I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing with brawl. Come September I literally wouldn't be able to attend a single event because of the workload on weekends. As such, I don't know how much I want to play over the summer.

I think RI has a lot of potential, but quite honestly I think people are going to need to use some of the best characters as secondaries or something like that. Then again, our biggest problem is lack of experience more than anything else. I don't know about everyone else, but before MM I had only played against Metaknight a total of two times, for instance. Both matches were against Lowell, who never used the tornado, and as such I had no idea how to DI the thing and didn't realize it ate through the shield so badly (I think it breaks through unless the shield is fully charged). I don't mean this as a john, I'm only saying it to make the point that getting experience versus the characters that will be seen most frequently in tournaments is a must. I think that we need some Snake, Rob, Wario, Metaknight, and DDD practice, even if people only use them as secondaries. I suspect Wario in particular will appear a lot now that he seems to do well against Snake.

Also, getting together to play once in a while would be nice. I was able to play against Emmy twice last week and learned a lot, and I'm sure she did too. With more players, the learning curve would obviously increase. We could hold a smashfest in the middle of the week perhaps. I certainly don't mind hosting one at my place, and would be willing to travel if my place dosen't work well.

Edit-Oh yeah, I almost forgot about advice! I never try to give it unless people ask me, but I'm happy to provide any advice if you would like it. Likewise, I hope that others can give me advice too. It will surely make us all better if we're willing to point out mistakes to one another.

Shears

Smash Master
alright i rename to "Official Rhode Island SSBB Thread".

idk about you guys but ive had alot of experience playing professional smashers and playing top/high tier characters. if anyone needs advice, just like unknownforce said, ill be glad to give it to you.

i want to try and get a fest/tournament this coming up weekend for RI, unfortunately i dont own a wii or brawl and i dont have a facility to host 20-30+ people (assuming there will be that many). just PM me or post here if youre interested. ill be home this wednesday, so RI, get ready to smash!!

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I take money matches in the following catagories:

Marth Ditto Money Matches is always top priority.

I have marth ditto money matched practically everyone who uses Marth except Mew2King because I fear him and avoided him at Cat3.

Stepmania / DDR Money Matches are fun. KDJ lost monies to me.

Im still a n00b, but how bout a Magic the Gathering MM :p

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Sounds good to me Shears.

I think there are a few locations we could use. My house would be fine. I think Will also said his house would work. I was there briefly, and it did look really nice for a smashfest. One of those two locations would probably be best, but there might be other locations as well. You said you would be here the 16th, so maybe you could drop by then! In fact, there is a tournament in CT on Saturday, so we could head over there the next day and get some practice in beforehand.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Wtf, where were all you people for Melee?

I don't like Brawl, but... I don't know. Maybe I could show up to a Smashfest or something.

Shears

Smash Master
actually im flying in tomorrow so i can do it whenever but i feel the weekend would be more reasonable with anyone still in school =P

where in CT because i think that might be a little far for me, im east side RI in warren so ill be looking at mass for my out of state tourneys.

so if you know the places then all we need is the people, who else on here is interested/knows people who are interested?

i hate melee, i refuse to play it. brawl or N64 none of that wanna be gamecube garbage.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I just realized that there is nothing going on this weekend. I had thought the CT event was this Saturday, but it turns out it is two weeks away. How about we throw a biweekly tournament this Saturday? If we do, it sounds like Melo and his friend can come, so we'll finally get to have some practice with one another! While we're at it, we should let CT and MA know too, since a few of them might be interested.

I also see a potential storm brewing... We likely have a number of differing opinions, but I'm sure it might be possible to play both games. As someone who likes both games, I'm open to it, but lets try to avoid turning this thread into yet another discussion on which game is better. There are already way too many threads like that, and each one is a complete waste of time (imo anyway). I'm not saying anybody was out of line, and people are certainly entitled to their opinions, but lets keep such discussions elsewhere if possible.

I do agree with Zoso entirely in terms of how few RI players there were back in the day. There was basically nobody, and we hardly ever played. It's nice to see that brawl might actually create an RI community. I wouldn't ever have called us a community for melee, since I don't think we ever had more than 3 active tournament players at once (and probably no more than 12 casual players). To make matters worse, we had no organization whatsoever and just randomly got together to play, rarely more than once or twice every other week.

Dave, you are of course welcome to attend. Feel free to bring melee too. I'd be up for a few matches. However, I don't know where we're holding the event yet!

Shears, if you are coming in tomorrow, you are welcome to stop by my place sometime this week. Let me know if your interested (I'd try to get a few other people too).

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Next monday most people still have school

Agree with Dave

I play Snake cause he's gay, and if I'm not I'm camping you with Falco.

Brawl is gay

I like Melee

Tich I'll MM you In Melee

Enter Button for Top tier

Smashfest sounds fun

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
I will play both Brawl and melee, but I am no where even as close as you craq heads are lol Tich made me cry when he came over :urg: but hey as long as I am actually playing ppl other then Jarrod I'm in!

Top Bottom