• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Optimistic Charizard Thread.

Do you like the new Charizard "smile"?

• Total voters

Keeshu

Smash Ace
After playing with Charizard in Brawl for a while, and now seeing him in SSB4 (and having a tendency to look at a character's face), the little curve at the back of the mouth is incredibly distracting, since it's practicly not there in Brawl (it's just a tiny line that blends in with his head really)

In the games the curve is done the other way so it looks like he's frowning. For some reason it reminds of Charizard from the anime though. However, I haven't watched the anime in a very long time so I don't remember how often Charizard has the smile.

I just wanted to know what your opinions were on this small change. Since to me, just having a character have a different default expression kind of a big change.

Personally I like the change because it makes him look like a "confident badass", instead of the many "serious badass" characters there are in games.

Yay random thread. :bubblebobble:

Edit: Just posting the optimistic Charizard pictures in the OP

Prepare yourself.

:optizard: =

Moderator, accidental double post.
Hopefully we can get the optimistic Charizard icon.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's definitely a way to give to more expression to a creature that doesn't have particularly humanoid features. They seem to be empthizing this pretty heavily for most characters in the game and it would be kind of hard to do with the way he looked in Brawl. Honesty I find many of characters new shots kind of amusing especially when he has such derpy looking moments.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
When you use words like "trapped" you make it sound like a bad thing. Who's to say living in a pokeball is bad thing; It could be soothing or maybe something of a analeptic.

Anyway I can assure you that if his on screen intro is anything like pikachu's, he's still a pokeball pokemon.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
When you use words like "trapped" you make it sound like a bad thing. Who's to say living in a pokeball is bad thing; It could be soothing or maybe something of a analeptic.

Anyway I can assure you that if his on screen intro is anything like pikachu's, he's still a pokeball pokemon.
Well they are trapped they are stuck in there and can't leave of their own free will

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
He's just so smug at how he managed to blag an entire roster spot to himself. Yeah, I'm okay with that too.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I'm just glad Charizard actually has a personality now. The pictures on smashbros.com made me laugh. On the inside.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Pokemon Yellow follows the anime though
Pokemon Yellow is a part of the game series even if it follows the anime in inspiration. Either way the idea is subjective. We can't determine if pokemon like or dislike their poke balls because there's not evidence pointing towards either direction. Even then it's a non issue since Charizard could very well still be a pokeball pokemon which takes away the variable status of the pokeball in this context.

Still, inevitably it doesn't matter because this is just a silly thing to debate over to begin with.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Looking at it again, the smile is a bit jarring. Oh well, it will probably stick on me eventually.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Agreed. He has that sort of "fire" to him now.
Yeah, you can really see the passion burning in his eyes. It really makes him look like he has a warm personality. It's the kind of expression that gives you the feeling that even if he doesn't win, he'll go down in a blaze of glory.

OK, I'm done. I'll come back if I think of more.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I actually didn't notice the smirk until now. (it's sort've reminiscent of the expressions Ash's Charizard had)
..it makes this picture in particular look so much more awkward. o.o;

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I actually didn't notice the smirk until now. (it's sort've reminiscent of the expressions Ash's Charizard had)

omg that jiggly puff picture right in your post " My body is ready" just made my day. I actually (and rarely do I actually do this and mean it) LOL

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
omg that jiggly puff picture right in your post " My body is ready" just made my day. I actually (and rarely do I actually do this and mean it) LOL
Heh, glad you got a laugh out of it. I draw that sort've stuff on Miiverse. :p

On the topic of Charizard, I can't unsee that grin.. this looks like a maniacal smile..

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Charizard is great, and as the co-owner of the Optimistic Charizard meme, this thread should be renamed to the "Official Optimistic Charizard Thread."

On topic, he is looking very suited for battle.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I like the look. He looks very smug, as if he's saying "No way are you going to stick me with flower-toad and the turtle for the rest of the series". It's kind of funny that he's still smiling even when he's about to be hit, like my avatar suggests.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
If this is really Ash's Charizard, then I hope to god that he has Seismic Toss for his Up Throw. That would make my Smash Bros day. Unfortunately, we can't find out until we play Smash Bros for 3DS when it comes out.

Top Bottom