• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Online Discussion ::.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
lol ^^^^^

it can be something like tradin trophies or not

it can even mean updates of some kind or not

it can be some kind of ranking system or not(SSBM had 1 y not brawl)

it can even be nothing just decoration OR NOT!!!!

WHOTF knows???

ppl make these dumb topics for there post count

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
lol ^^^^^

it can be something like tradin trophies or not

it can even mean updates of some kind or not

it can be some kind of ranking system or not(SSBM had 1 y not brawl)

it can even be nothing just decoration OR NOT!!!!

WHOTF knows???

ppl make these dumb topics for there post count
And dumb people like you who come into threads like these to up their post count.

heety9

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that the first time I saw the picture. Anyways, he's already told us there are other Wi-Fi modes.

lampiaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp_lampi
I don't know if this possibility has been pointed out already, but...

Sakurai said:
We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy.
This made me think... will there be a global hi-score list for modes like "Break the Targets" / "Home Run Contest" / etc.?

Imagine yourself hearing "IT'S A NEW WORLD RECORD!!"

It sure would be cool.

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
Multiple Players on One Console for WiFi?

I'm sincerely hoping that there will be allowed multiple players on one console when playing online.

Okay, I have siblings, I'm biased, but nothing would be cooler than to be able to pair up with a buddy on the same couch, and fight team after team of anonymites across the internet, or both participate in a free-for-all.

It would in theory also help the lag situation (fewer clients in one game).

Now, there's sure to be some legitimate opposition to this, as this sort of thing can be abused. For one, in a (non-team) match you could conspire with your buddy and gang up on certain players. Of course, that is abuse, so it's up to the player, but any time you give players the ability to screw with other player's without any systems in place to prevent it, you're going to have *******s who will do just that.

That being said, what do you all think?

Should multiple players on one console be allowed to play online? If so, should it be capped at 2 players per console, or should 3 be allowed?

Should multiple players on one console be restricted to team battles as to prevent conspiring and illegitimate ganging up?

Should there be a seperate set of rooms for people who are playing 1 player per console, and those playing multiple players per console (Like Halo 2, for example)?

I think it would be a real shame if I couldn't play online with friends on the same console, especially for the sake of team battles. Cooperative multiplayer games are among my favourite types, so the ultimate would be to pair up with my bro and take on other teams across the void.

Sorry if a thread like this has been created, I looked and hadn't seen one!.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
I was VERY curious about this same question because i have a roomate who plays smash too.

I asked some people who play Mario strikers online and they said it was possible so that made me happy XD!

But yeah regardless of being able to screw people over in a free for all, i think it should be allowed, and with NO RESTRICTIONS.

I personally enjoy being "double teamed" in a ffa, it just makes me fight better

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Im positive you can play with 2 people on the same Wii. Its already that way for mario strikers. BTW im pro at that game

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I think that'd be cool too, then at least you could play with- or against- a friend without forcing them to have a Wii and a copy of the game too, but still being able to fight against other people online at the same time.

nuro

Smash Lord
I think this is how its going to work, the same way Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne works, if anyone here has played it.

You choose your wifi play, then your character, and you have options for items to be on/off and also the stages that you want on/off. After that, wifi should find someone of similar skill to yourself if they have that option, if not then just anyone.

This is good, because if people havn't unlocked characters in their own roster, they can't choose them, or unlock them by just seeing oponent choose, so its pretty random and surprising. With the stage/item thing, to find an opponent, your options has to be similar, ex. like both people have pokemon stadium turned off etc and other stuff may face each other.

Just my part on what I think, it works.
I think people who do random play will not have as many options as people with friend codes.
He already said you have to play ffa if you choose random.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Or, maybe its -

Screen 1 - Adventure Mode
Classic Mode
Wifi-Mode

*clicks wifi-mode*

Screen 2 - *Connecting to Wifi*

Screen 3 - With Friends
With Anyone

Betrayed

Smash Ace
I don't know if this possibility has been pointed out already, but...

This made me think... will there be a global hi-score list for modes like "Break the Targets" / "Home Run Contest" / etc.?

Imagine yourself hearing "IT'S A NEW WORLD RECORD!!"

It sure would be cool.
*GLEE!*

I hope HRC comes back

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Mario Strikers Charged allowed 2v2 to happen through having 2 people at each physical location. Brawl would be foolish not to. Also, I doubt the online play will force anyone to do 4P FFA. I'm sure the two players can just start the game. If not, I'm gonna exchange friend codes with people and play. :)

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Even though the online ability was already confirmed, im even more happy to hear about online in more details.
Anyways i am still quite worried about the online, will the wii have problems with the online, (lag). Who knows! We can just wait and see.
Anyways Let's hope that we get more features on Free for all, if not then i guess we could just exchange our friend codes! We have the ability to do so anyways!

Matt418

Smash Rookie
We've known all along it would be online, Nintendo just waited to announce it. But how they announced it is HORRIBLE!

What the hell were they thinking? You rank games played against random people, not friends! This also gives us a matching system, which brawl obviously must not have. the no voice thing is a huge disappointment, because i want to be able to talk to my friends while i play them. Also, we should be able to mix and match friends and random, like in super mario strikers. We should also be able to play less than 4 people. Anything like that would have made me happy. However, what would have shown nintendo was truly dedicating itself to online brawl would be an online tournament creator, or being able to play with two people using one wii against two people with another wii...but no, nintendo is idiotic and ruins what should have been the best part of their best game.

I'm beginning to think the only reason they amped up the single player is because they knew the online was going to be one of the biggest disappointments in gaming since SEGA went under

Where the hell were the people who made mario strikers online when they made this?

"F**k it." - Sakuri's game development team

nuro

Smash Lord
Sorry but I think your just jumping to conclusions. It doesn't say that there will not be voicechat, at least not anywhere that I have seen. Besides even if there is no voice chat you always have the ability to chat using a computer program such as teamspeak. Or if that is too much you can always go on aim, irc etc to type to whoever your playing. Of course you can't talk to random people but its not all that bad anyway.

We still don't know if there will be an online tournament maker or if you can play with 2 people on a wii wifi. And even if that doesn't happen there will always be fan made tournaments. If you have a friend over you can always play against him 1v1.

And Sakurai himself said he wanted to add in a single player for smash since ssb64 it was just he didn't have enough time to do so but now he does.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
i diddnt see this thread so ill post this here

4 ideas for online modes(with anyone)

Option one Quick play. Picks any random game
Option 2. Tourny mode. You know what this is i wont bother
Option 3. Create game. you also know what to do if this one
Option 4. I dont know what to call this one. You pic your preffs.. before searching... like fore example. if this is what your looking for

Stock match. Items off. Final Smash ON Stages random.

then you hit ok and it comes up with a bunch of games that fit what you want.

what do you guys think?

Matt418

Smash Rookie
Sorry but I think your just jumping to conclusions. It doesn't say that there will not be voicechat, at least not anywhere that I have seen. Besides even if there is no voice chat you always have the ability to chat using a computer program such as teamspeak. Or if that is too much you can always go on aim, irc etc to type to whoever your playing. Of course you can't talk to random people but its not all that bad anyway.

We still don't know if there will be an online tournament maker or if you can play with 2 people on a wii wifi. And even if that doesn't happen there will always be fan made tournaments. If you have a friend over you can always play against him 1v1.

And Sakurai himself said he wanted to add in a single player for smash since ssb64 it was just he didn't have enough time to do so but now he does.
I quote the website:

"Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play."

All you can do as far as communication goes is send stupid prerecorded messages that seem to be typed versions of taunts. You can't even send this messages to people you're playing that you do not know. And its pretty hard to use a keyboard while i'm playing a game on a console. I, for one, do not have four hands to do that with. Teamspeak seems to be a good option I guess, but a built in voice chat would be far and away better.

Again, from the website:

"With friends, you can brawl any way you like. And there are other modes besides just free-for-alls."

This clearly implies that this is unlike the the online mode with people which you do not know. So apparently you can only do free-for-alls in online mode, which also suggests it to be 4 player only.

Finally, adding a tournament mode would show dedication to making a great online environment by the Brawl team. But I SERIOUSLY doubt it will be in there with all the other much more important aspects missing from online brawl.

Sandy

Smash Champion
We Can Make Online Tournaments Work Ourselves

All the updates say that Mr. Sakurai will be providing more information about other online play options. Some of us may be wanting to get our hopes up that tournament play is one of those options, but for all we know he's going to go into more detail about how you can share your stickers/sticker designs with everyone else. So... if tournaments are not available, or if they become lame due to people disconnecting... here is a way to make it work.....

Utilizing something such as SWF... a discussion board is created... it will give you the rules of the tournament (stock/time, lives, and levels) and you will post your brawl friend code and your online user name.

It would then be the tournament director's job to put together all the entrants into a single or series of groups. The groups would be posted and you would find your group. From there, you will enter in all 20-25 codes or so of your opponents (this will be the one time consuming part). However, once this is done, you will be able to see all of your opponents online and over the course of a week or so; you will have to battle against and record the result of each of your matches. You will then MESSAGE THE DIRECTOR the results and he/she will decide how every did and bump off the people who did not advance to the next round.

The obvious disadvantage to a single elimination right off the bat is that what happens if someone disconnects or if it is even by accident... so... this should eliminate that problem. Points for each battle would be:

Win-3 Loss-1 Disconnect or Failure to play opponent- 0

So obviously you should play all the games, and settle for a loss if you're going to lose, so you don't wind up with a disconnect. This will it will also be made obvious if someone is the trouble-maker. Once again, all you need to do is write down your opponents user name and the result of your game... send all of those battles as one message to the director... and he would handle it from there. I see no complications... other then if you're telling me you're not willing to take 10 seconds to write down a name and W,L, D, or _ if you never got to do the fight.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I quote the website:

"Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play."

All you can do as far as communication goes is send stupid prerecorded messages that seem to be typed versions of taunts. You can't even send this messages to people you're playing that you do not know. And its pretty hard to use a keyboard while i'm playing a game on a console. I, for one, do not have four hands to do that with. Teamspeak seems to be a good option I guess, but a built in voice chat would be far and away better.
I didn't even realize that part, I must have mis-read. That was a pretty bad move by Sakurai.

nuro

Smash Lord
I quote the website:

Again, from the website:

"With friends, you can brawl any way you like. And there are other modes besides just free-for-alls."

This clearly implies that this is unlike the the online mode with people which you do not know. So apparently you can only do free-for-alls in online mode, which also suggests it to be 4 player only.

Finally, adding a tournament mode would show dedication to making a great online environment by the Brawl team. But I SERIOUSLY doubt it will be in there with all the other much more important aspects missing from online brawl.
That quote is from the "PLay anyone" part. That never said there wont be a way to chat with people who r on ur friendlist. Jump Ultimate Stars works the exact same way from what I can tell. check that game out if you want. And if there is voicechat its probably only going to be inbetween the matches. In JUS when a match was over u could chat over the mic but not during matches. And Fan tournaments > game tournaments.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
All the updates say that Mr. Sakurai will be providing more information about other online play options. Some of us may be wanting to get our hopes up that tournament play is one of those options, but for all we know he's going to go into more detail about how you can share your stickers/sticker designs with everyone else. So... if tournaments are not available, or if they become lame due to people disconnecting... here is a way to make it work.....

Utilizing something such as SWF... a discussion board is created... it will give you the rules of the tournament (stock/time, lives, and levels) and you will post your brawl friend code and your online user name.

It would then be the tournament director's job to put together all the entrants into a single or series of groups. The groups would be posted and you would find your group. From there, you will enter in all 20-25 codes or so of your opponents (this will be the one time consuming part). However, once this is done, you will be able to see all of your opponents online and over the course of a week or so; you will have to battle against and record the result of each of your matches. You will then MESSAGE THE DIRECTOR the results and he/she will decide how every did and bump off the people who did not advance to the next round.

The obvious disadvantage to a single elimination right off the bat is that what happens if someone disconnects or if it is even by accident... so... this should eliminate that problem. Points for each battle would be:

Win-3 Loss-1 Disconnect or Failure to play opponent- 0

So obviously you should play all the games, and settle for a loss if you're going to lose, so you don't wind up with a disconnect. This will it will also be made obvious if someone is the trouble-maker. Once again, all you need to do is write down your opponents user name and the result of your game... send all of those battles as one message to the director... and he would handle it from there. I see no complications... other then if you're telling me you're not willing to take 10 seconds to write down a name and W,L, D, or _ if you never got to do the fight.
This is my thought exactly. Smashboards is already the hub of the Smash Bros community, so it's perfect for planning and organizing casual macthups and full fledged tournaments.

Florida

イーグランツ
Tournaments, online? Not with the lag!
Any lag in Smash Bros. can mess up any L-Cancel, tech, or any other advanced techniques that are important to gameplay (assuming they're returning). In tournaments, if there was any lag while playing, then that would result to an un-fair fight.

Most high-def. T.V.'s, while playing Super Smash Bros. on, produces some slight lag.
That's why most tournaments use the smaller T.V.'s, to prevent from any un-fair lag issues.

:D:D:D
Online is for fun!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Tournaments, online? Not with the lag!
Any lag in Smash Bros. can mess up any L-Cancel, tech, or any other advanced techniques that are important to gameplay (assuming they're returning). In tournaments, if there was any lag while playing, then that would result to an un-fair fight.

Most high-def. T.V.'s, while playing Super Smash Bros. on, produces some slight lag.
That's why most tournaments use the smaller T.V.'s, to prevent from any un-fair lag issues.

:D:D:D
Online is for fun!
According to Sakurai, the lag will only be a problem over great distances - like a matchup between Japan and the North Americans. As long as tournaments are designed around specific regions (North America only, Europe only, etc.) the lag can hopefully be kept to a minimum.

Girl

Smash Apprentice
I think that the only thing giving me some motivation that there might be decent internet play is the fact that he mentions there will be more features. As of now, time to play with friends and random FFAs

nuro

Smash Lord
I just hope that the Jump Ultimate Stars glitch returns to SSBB.

Basically in JUS you and your friends could press the "Play Anyone" button all at the same time and you would all end up in the same room. Usually 3 Japanese people would team up on anyone who had a american name in their room.

I WANT this back because I like the challenge of playing 3 v 1. :)

In jus I usually won 3v1 matches when they tried teaming up on me. :laugh:

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I think that the only thing giving me some motivation that there might be decent internet play is the fact that he mentions there will be more features. As of now, time to play with friends and random FFAs
Or... you could try my online tournament setup. It's a work in progess and I welcome any advice. Think of it more as a way to quickly meet 10+ new people. It will be a 2-4 hour night of one match after another with no waits. Check out the link below.

xxLinkGodxx

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure but didn't they say you use coins by putting them into a lottery for when ur picking stages online?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I wish people would stick to this thread for any ONLINE QUESTIONS/CONCERNS... I'm just bumping this up so hopefully someone in the near future with a question may see it.... I would suggest a sticky.... might keep the boards a little cleaner.

Top Bottom