• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MLG/Tournament Rules

Imortal Demigod

Smash Rookie
Can anyone list the MLG or other major tournament set of rules that they use? If you can link also thats great. I think I know that its 4 stock, 8 min time limit, but I wanted to know the whole counter pick cahracter and stage thing, how does it get worked out?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
They go a little something like this, from the finals of last year's rule page (link):

Stage & Character Selection

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in a specific bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.

2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.

3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium

4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64

5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.

6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2

7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City

8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.

9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a Best of 9 or Best of 11 series.

10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.

11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.

12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

13. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in their respective Open bracket and they played a Best of 3 in the Winners Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 7, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Team A beat Team B 2 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 7 will resume with Game 3 and Team A leading 2 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series.

So it goes a little something like this: People choose the level they want to ban for the set, and then pick their characters (if necessary, both telling who they want to a tournament director then picking if they each want the other to pick first), and then select 'random stage'.

After that, the loser first gets to pick the stage he wants to counter-pick, which has to not be banned, and not have been played in that set. Then the winner decides the character he wants to play, and the loser then gets to decide what character he wants to play. This repeats until the set is over.

You can also find a picture of stages that are on random/ counter-pickable / banned here.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Can i ask one small question, i thought you were allowed to ban even the random picks... i could have sworn you could ban FD when say playing the ICs

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Can i ask one small question, i thought you were allowed to ban even the random picks... i could have sworn you could ban FD when say playing the ICs
Yeah, I'm not sure why that's in the MLG rules; I haven't seen it enforced at any tournament, including MLG. I believe non-MLG tournaments assume that neutrals can be banned as well. Similarly, if the people in a set both want to not enforce Dave's Stupid Rule, or to say "all Final Destionation," then that is up to them.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Thank you very much Phanna, sorry i just remember reading about always banning FD against the ICs for obvious reasons.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hyrule- Impossible to Die, Campng, Impossible To Die, Camping, oh and impossible to die

Flatzone- Any stage where you can throw someone to an instant death at 10 percent is wrong

Peaches Castle- Just the easy ability to run down the clock by camping and running plus the walls for the drill infinite.

Brinstar Depths- Not a measure of skill if you spike someone into the acid and they take percentages for no reason.

Great Bay- The ability to be on the two lower platforms and smash them into the top and straight down into their death.

Mushroom Kingdom 1- Camping and just an ugly level in general, there's no places to fight

Mushroom Kindom 2- Same reason

Banks

Smash Hero
you know you can go to tournament discussion and these rules are posted on almost all threads there >_>

Top Bottom