• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Phantop

Smash Cadet
Yep. Already made one; just haven't released it. :p

What exactly were you doing when you got this? What OS are you using it on (and is it 32 or 64 bit)? Also, typically bug reports should go in the thread for the program.

What is "this"? It sounds like you might have replaced certain files with the wrong ones. For example, [besides a few exceptions] you can't put a costume built for a character's green costume over their red costume. Try putting the original files back and see if you can get the game to work again, if you do them one or a few at a time between tests, then you should be able to figure out which files were messing it up.
Probably (but I'm not sure; I'd have to look up what exactly that edits). Try it and see if it works.
Windows 10 64 bit. I was using it from Melee Toolbox. After re-downloading, however, it seems to work.
EDIT: Seems to be related to the exe being name DTW.exe in Melee Toolbox

Also, I was asking about MaterialColorNode because a different answer I got before said to change it so maybe Achilles was talking about something else?

Last edited:

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
Working on a Marth Vader right now, I'll post the file replacement once I'm done.
damn that lightsaber looks badass

edit: who thinks they can replace the sound of Marth's sword cutting the air with lightsaber noises?
actually there would probably be a ton of problems because those noises are probably shared by other moves

Last edited:

CFMV

"The Marf"
damn that lightsaber looks badass

edit: who thinks they can replace the sound of Marth's sword cutting the air with lightsaber noises?
actually there would probably be a ton of problems because those noises are probably shared by other moves
Marth Vader 99% complete, does anybody know how I can disable Marth's facial animation? When he blinks or gets hit the eye textures flicker back to the Marth eyes. Also if anybody can point me in the right direction to be able to vertex hack the hilt of his sword, that'd be awesome.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Marth Vader 99% complete, does anybody know how I can disable Marth's facial animation? When he blinks or gets hit the eye textures flicker back to the Marth eyes. Also if anybody can point me in the right direction to be able to vertex hack the hilt of his sword, that'd be awesome.

Pretty good!

For the eye stuff, just change all of the eye textures to be the same, so when they change, you can't tell.

Vertex hacking is more tedious. Since it's a relatively small change to at least remove the guard, it might not be too bad. I'd ask Milun Milun for that.

Then we just need some Vader quotes to replace his taunt audio!

Last edited:

CFMV

"The Marf"
Pretty good!

For the eye stuff, just change all of the eye textures to be the same, so when they change, you can't tell.

Vertex hacking is more tedious. Since it's a relatively small change to at least remove the guard, it might not be too bad. I'd ask Milun Milun for that.

Then we just need some Vader quotes to replace his taunt audio!
The only problem is that the blinking eye textures 2 seem to be in the .DAT file with the costume (at least I can't find them if they are), and I don't want all my other color Marths blinking with Vader eyes, lol.

EDIT: Nvm I downloaded your awesome texture wizard and found them, they didn't show up in Melee Toolkit.

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Alright, as for how you blank certain parts of models. If you go to hex 0x0018B60 in my hack, and compare it to a normal PlSkWh.dat, you'll see I blanked a lot of hex. This hex is the face data (aka, what connects the vertices of the model to make a surface), and is surrounded by pointers (which you must not blank). A player model is made up of multiples of these, depending on the character (for example, I'd wager a guess Kirby is made up of 6 (not counting his low poly model). 2 for his arms, 2 for his legs, 1 for his body, and 1 for the inside of his mouth). I used this blanking method to get rid of Shieks frontal hair (both in high poly and low poly), and then just model hacked her head to look like a mask (which was not easy :/. Model hacking is currently very primitive. I use a very basic program of my own creation to simplify it a bit, but even then a hack like this took me around 3 weeks).

I won't go into further detail (it's not what this thread is for), but I hope that answered your question.
Could you share this program? or is it the type of program thats kinda sloppy so only you understand it?

Phantop

Smash Cadet
On the topic of removing parts of models, how would one go about finding the location of polygons in the file?

Last edited:

CFMV

"The Marf"
Sweet I was able to get those Marth eye textures working, will upload the costume file when I get home from work!

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
You can't just use DTW3? I'm not sure what problem you're running into, but if you want to post the DAT and the texture, I could help with the eyes. You want all of them overwritten with the same texture, right?

Last edited:

CFMV

"The Marf"
You can't just use DTW3? I'm not sure what problem you're running into, but if you want to post the DAT and the texture, I could help with the eyes. You want all of them overwritten with the same texture, right?
The problem was that I was importing a texture I had exported from Melee Toolkit and it didn't keep the palette. I exported the texture from DTW3 and re-imported it over all the eye textures and it worked great. Thanks DRGN!

Last edited:

AxRandomxMoment

Smash Rookie

Does anyone know how to change the color of the bumps of Falco's boots that are around his ankles? (In the picture they are red.) If it's a texture, I have been unable to find it.

divekicked

Smash Cadet
The Improved Smashville Fourside v2 download link doesn't work, anyone have a working link for it anywhere?

Lykon

Smash Cadet
Hi I've been trying to change the pokeball in pokemon stadium with another image, but i dont know the process
Is there a thread for this? I cant find it pls

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I have something cool for you guys (and an example for a powerful new function). It's an upgraded MnSlChr, for the closed port doors. They're outfitted with two things:

1) achilles' graphical alignment fix. If you haven't already seen it, the alignment fix gets rid of a graphical bug present in vanilla Melee, which can be very noticeable with custom textures. (Comparison also provided by achilles below.)

Alignment fix - by achilles.PNG

2) increased internal file space for the texture (+0xc800 bytes), with modified headers. This allows you to use a _6 type texture (the highest quality) instead of _3 or _5. The increase in bit depth from _5 allows for many more colors and better gradients. Also, previously with the _5 hack, you may have noticed that the colors on the bottom-left panel can be slightly (sometimes very) different than those on the top-right. This fixes that too, as changing to _6 allows for the exact same colors on both sides (since the bit depth doesn't change based on transparency like the RGB5A3 color format in _5 does).

If your MnSlChr is heavily modified and you don't want to go through all the work of moving it all to this new file, you can instead give your file to me and I can run it through a special ma-jigger I made (public release date TBD) and increase the space available.

You'll need to rebuild the ISO with GCR of course to use it. And note however, that this currently isn't compatible with 20XX 4.0 (because 4.0 requires data at the end of the file to remain at a specific place when loaded into RAM). That may change in the future though.

For Veggies Veggies :

Alignment Fix + HQ Closed Ports comparison 02.png
Name: CSS Closed Port Doors Upgrade (can be used with any texture)
Made By: DRGN, Achilles
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/033lh6rrld1hvfe/Alignment_Fix_&_HQ_Closed_Ports_MnSlChr.usd

Hi I've been trying to change the pokeball in pokemon stadium with another image, but i dont know the process
Is there a thread for this? I cant find it pls
This program is pretty strait-forward and easy, but in case you run into trouble, it also comes with a readme for things that may not be so obvious.

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
I have something cool for you guys (and an example for a powerful new function). It's an upgraded MnSlChr, for the closed port doors. They're outfitted with two things:

1) achilles' graphical alignment fix. If you haven't already seen it, the alignment fix of gets rid of a graphical bug present in vanilla Melee, which can be very noticeable with custom textures. (Comparison also provided by achilles below.)

View attachment 82464

2) increased internal file space for the texture (+0xc800 bytes), with modified headers. This allows you to use a _6 type texture (the highest quality) instead of _3 or _5. The increase in bit depth from _5 allows for many more colors and better gradients. Also, previously with the _5 hack, you may have noticed that the colors on the bottom-left panel can be slightly (sometimes very) different than those on the top-right. This fixes that too, as changing to _6 allows for the exact same colors on both sides, since it has a full, 8-bit, dedicated alpha channel.

If your MnSlChr is heavily modified and you don't want to go through all the work of moving it all to this new file, you can instead give your file to me and I can run it through a special ma-jigger I made (public release date TBD) and increase the space available.

You'll need to rebuild the ISO with GCR of course to use it. And note however, that this currently isn't compatible with 20XX 4.0 (because 4.0 requires data at the end of the file to remain at a specific place when loaded into RAM). That may change in the future though.

For Veggies Veggies :

View attachment 82467
Name: CSS Closed Port Doors Upgrade (can be used with any texture)
Made By: DRGN, Achilles
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/033lh6rrld1hvfe/Alignment_Fix_&_HQ_Closed_Ports_MnSlChr.usd

This program is pretty strait-forward and easy, but in case you run into trouble, it also comes with a readme for things that may not be so obvious.
Colors for closed ports! Nice!

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Does anybody know were the white and red CSS is i've seen it on this video. You can just pause it right when it starts and you'll see it.

MegamanZero231

Smash Rookie
Is anyone able to make a texture that looks like Final Fantasy 7's Cloud Strife that goes over blue Roy? I got Sephiroth Marth, and I need something to go with it. This might be a little mean, but I need something. Please reply.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Could you share this program? or is it the type of program that's kinda sloppy so only you understand it?
(Sorry for late response) the program is unfortunately, extremely sloppy. You need to copy and paste hex strings to notepad documents, and even then it just gives a cloud of vertices. I would recommend waiting for the Universal Model Converters released, but I'll discuss it more if you send me a PM.

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
Now you can live out your WW2 recreations in smash!
P.S. I don't know who made the model hack with the helmet, it isn't in the OP and im not sure where i found it. If someone would let me know who did it i'll put credit.

Name: Allies Chu (Replaces Green)
Made by: Skin, Credit to ya boy Milun for the vertex hack
Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ii5028tey8fgih9

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
P.S. I don't know who made the model hack with the helmet, it isn't in the OP and im not sure where i found it. If someone would let me know who did it i'll put credit.

Made by: Skin
Actually, the guy right above your post created the vertex hack. lol

Does anybody know were the white and red CSS is i've seen it on this video. You can just pause it right when it starts and you'll see it.
Brawl.jpg

Name: Brawl Style CSS
Made By: matoooya
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?vnrt6l9ad7c434z

Milun

Smash Ace

Made by: Skin
Yup, here you go chief. A tutorial if you want more customization.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:
Top Bottom