• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Ray_Rages

Not even mad
So I kinda went crazy and made a bunch of cursors for the SSS. Also, you can give it color if you switch it to a _14 type texture!

DRGN's Stage Select Screen Cursor Pack (25 total!)

Some are custom made, others are from things I found online and edited.

The texture is at 0xDEC0 in MnSlMap (both .usd & .dat)

All of these have a texture type that's different than the original texture in order to support color, so you'll need to modify the texture's header in the MnSlMap file (or change the texture type back to _1, the default, but you'll lose the color if it has any). To modify the header, you just need to go to one specific byte in the file:

If you're using MnSlMap.usd, it's at offset is 0x6EDB3.
If you're using MnSlMap.dat, it's at offset is 0x792B3.
(^ These are for 1.02, but I'm guessing it's the same for the other game versions.)

There, you'll find "01" (which is the original texture's type), change this to "0e".

(And btw, if you're wondering why some end in _14, and some end in _e, it's the same thing; e is just hex for 14.)

Also included in the download is the GIMP project file, in case you want to tweak one of these to your liking.

Enjoy!
Do you mind explaining how to install them exactly? I've exported MnSlMap.usd and edited the 01 byte at 0x6EDB3 to 0E to support color. How do I add the texture though? I want the ring one.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Should I change the thread to one of these formats?

DRGN

Technowizard
Do you mind explaining how to install them exactly? I've exported MnSlMap.usd and edited the 01 byte at 0x6EDB3 to 0E to support color. How do I add the texture though? I want the ring one.
Basically, you take the MnSlMap.usd file out of your game, then put the texture you want in that file using DAT Texture Wizard (using the offset 0xDEC0). You can read all the details here: How to Hack Any Texture

Anyone else having trouble texture hacking, or wanting to learn, can also find their answers there.

@NeViLLe

Should I change the thread to one of these formats?

I like the first one. But there are probably too many to not have spoilers for individual colors, aren't there?

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Basically, you take the MnSlMap.usd file out of your game, then put the texture you want in that file using DAT Texture Wizard (using the offset 0xDEC0). You can read all the details here: How to Hack Any Texture

Anyone else having trouble texture hacking, or wanting to learn, can also find their answers there.

@NeViLLe

I like the first one. But there are probably too many to not have spoilers for individual colors, aren't there?
probably

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Last edited:

SipDatLean

Smash Rookie
in light of the force awakens,, anyone want to take a stab at stormtrooper fox or han solo falco?

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
Are you using 20XX or just a fresh copy of the game?

So I'm using 20XX and everything works fine except when you select the blue peach and after choosing a stage it freezes, which is why I'm 100% sure its the skin. Swapped out the Ice peach skin for another one and it works fine. But if you are saying you can get it to work maybe its a 20XX thing?
I did it using a fresh 20xx iso and i also have it on my personal one (Heavily modified off of base 20xx) and it works fine in both. Did you try redownloading it and adding the newly downloaded file instead of the ice peach you have? Your file may be corrupted.
If not i don't know what to tell ya.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Uploaded everything else but I'm not sure about these two. The variance is so slight I'm doubting anyone could even notice this difference. If anyone objects to my decision of not adding these (Excluding the creator) I might add them.
Thanks, but I wouldn't have objected, lol. I really don't care I'm just putting these textures out there.

Anyway, could anybody tell me how I'd go about editing a stage? I like the Matrix Battlefield but I can't stand those yellow backgrounds or the light blue background at the beginning. I just want to take the black background clip and put it over those 3, and I'm trying to do this sooner than later.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Thanks, but I wouldn't have objected, lol. I really don't care I'm just putting these textures out there.

Anyway, could anybody tell me how I'd go about editing a stage? I like the Matrix Battlefield but I can't stand those yellow backgrounds or the light blue background at the beginning. I just want to take the black background clip and put it over those 3, and I'm trying to do this sooner than later.
If you're only referring to texture hacking, in general you can use this: How to Hack Any Texture

For your specific backgrounds case right now, I think you should be able to just copy the whole chunk of data from 0x48220-0x4A220 to -aw, screw it, I'm doing it.

Here you go; the file's attached. It's not actually a text file obviously, so just rename it with .dat

The background is super black now, like an oil spill:

TEST01-6.png

Otherwise, for future stuff, I know the guide seems long, but in 20 minutes you'll be a pro (-ish). Complain and I'll give you the whole 'Back in my day...!' spiel.

Attachments

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Eyo! O/ Just wanted to make a Quick little request: A Roy skin. Like... Doesn't really matter how it looks, but I would love to have it in some sort of blue/white colour. Sorry if I bug someone hehe. I can't make skin myself and it seems far to complex for me to be able to do it. But yea. R E Q U E S T B O Y S

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Eyo! O/ Just wanted to make a Quick little request: A Roy skin. Like... Doesn't really matter how it looks, but I would love to have it in some sort of blue/white colour. Sorry if I bug someone hehe. I can't make skin myself and it seems far to complex for me to be able to do it. But yea. R E Q U E S T B O Y S
Its actually not that complex at all. It's just editing in photoshop can be a pain sometimes.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
I hope people don't mind if we post random stuff we made in our spare time. Was screwing around while I was streaming earlier today

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
Im taking a slight break from the vault hunter pack to pursue other skins atm. But it wont be for long. I'm just getting burnt out of making the same things. I may or may not post some new skins here today
mind posting your falco and fox part of the vault hunter pack? (that is if you're done those chars) :)

SipDatLean

Smash Rookie
hey so im really new to this and was wondering if there is any way to put an assymetrical logo on the back of falcos jacket without hex editing. i havent tried doing a symetrical one yet but i figure it would work since the jacket is mirrored.

zankyou

Smash Lord
hey so im really new to this and was wondering if there is any way to put an assymetrical logo on the back of falcos jacket without hex editing. i havent tried doing a symetrical one yet but i figure it would work since the jacket is mirrored.
Shouldnt be too hard. But would require you to know what flags to change and how to add images bigger than the original.

Top Bottom