• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Thanks y'all. Y'all are awesome

Dont have my GameCube to practice, but do you get invincibility frames on a Wavedash? Not a ledgedash, i mean a regular ol' fashioned wavedash?

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thanks y'all. Y'all are awesome

Dont have my GameCube to practice, but do you get invincibility frames on a Wavedash? Not a ledgedash, i mean a regular ol' fashioned wavedash?
No, you only have jumpsquat (the animation before jumps; frames vary by character) and landing lag (universal 10 frames).

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
cool, thanks

what happens if two moves with invincible frames clash? lets say Samus is recovering to the stage and does her up b. While my fox is ledgestaling and then attacks with a shine or back air with invincible frames. Is there priority or do the attacks just clash?
P.S. im guessing samus' Up B has invincible frames

Do different characters have different tech roll speed or distance? or are all of them universal?

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
what happens if two moves with invincible frames clash? lets say Samus is recovering to the stage and does her up b. While my fox is ledgestaling and then attacks with a shine or back air with invincible frames. Is there priority or do the attacks just clash?
P.S. im guessing samus' Up B has invincible frames
Samus’ up-B hitbubbles cannot clank. Also, her airborne up-B only has 3 frames of intangibility; her hitbubbles start to be active on frame 4. As airborne actionable ledge intangibility is as much as 29 frames, it’s very easy for any character to hit her out of her up-B while still being intangible if timed properly.
Do different characters have different tech roll speed or distance? or are all of them universal?
They vary a lot.

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Only ground moves and some projectiles have clanking properties. Aerials and B-Moves do not (there may be exceptions, cant remember of the top of my head).

What will happen when two characters are both invincible and attack? Well neither of them will have hurtboxes for the hitboxes to interact with, so nothing will happen at all. But that almost never happens, unless someone with spawn invincibility is attacking someone at the edge.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Only ground moves and some projectiles have clanking properties. Aerials and B-Moves do not (there may be exceptions, cant remember of the top of my head).
B moves and aerials can clank. Like when Marth fairs Samus' missiles. And I'm pretty sure they're not exceptions. Off the top of my head, B moves that can clank: Almost all projectiles (including Bowser's fire) except lasers (they're transcendent), Falcon Kick, Fire Fox/Bird, Pound, Belay, Shine, Peach Bomber, a lot more. For aerials clanking just think of how most characters can hit Samus' missiles with an aerial and clank. I know how the whole clanking/priority system works in Brawl, but I don't know if it applies to Melee completely, so I won't explain anything in case it's wrong.

MikeL64

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm brand new to the smash bros community. I've been playing smash all my life but have only recently gotten interested in the competitive community.
I've researched almost all of the advanced techniques but I haven't figured out exactly what "shield dropping" is and how it is useful. Can someone help me out?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Feast your eyes.

Hey, I'm brand new to the smash bros community. I've been playing smash all my life but have only recently gotten interested in the competitive community.
I've researched almost all of the advanced techniques but I haven't figured out exactly what "shield dropping" is and how it is useful. Can someone help me out?
Welcome! Here is the best resource I know of for shield dropping (not perfect, but it covers the basic mechanics of it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQA7vbttZkQ

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
B moves and aerials can clank. Like when Marth fairs Samus' missiles.
That isn't a "clank". Marth's fair simply hits the missile and it breaks. A clank is when two hitboxes collide and both moves stop mid-animation.

And I'm pretty sure they're not exceptions. Off the top of my head, B moves that can clank: Almost all projectiles (including Bowser's fire) except lasers (they're transcendent), Falcon Kick, Fire Fox/Bird, Pound, Belay, Shine, Peach Bomber, a lot more. For aerials clanking just think of how most characters can hit Samus' missiles with an aerial and clank. I know how the whole clanking/priority system works in Brawl, but I don't know if it applies to Melee completely, so I won't explain anything in case it's wrong.
Most of the B-moves you mentioned only clank when grounded. Shine for example: if one shine is aerial and the other is grounded, they will not clank.

And again, aerial normals do not clank ever.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Actually Sveet, any move can clank if you pick up a Metal Box first. Please do not spread misinformation.

Listen to that clanking!

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
So I was told recently that mashing buttons gets you out of hitstun earlier in melee/p:m. Never knew about this but I was under the assumption that mashing the control stick only allowed you to recover from the tumble animation sooner (for purposes like airdodging as yoshi when all else fails). Can anyone confirm which is true? Never read anything official about either of these mechanics so I'm not sure which one is true ey

Kadano

Magical Express
So I was told recently that mashing buttons gets you out of hitstun earlier in melee/p:m. Never knew about this but I was under the assumption that mashing the control stick only allowed you to recover from the tumble animation sooner (for purposes like airdodging as yoshi when all else fails). Can anyone confirm which is true? Never read anything official about either of these mechanics so I'm not sure which one is true ey
Jump to 0:50 for the part on mashing out.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
14 frames is not very much. Is wall jump -> waveland useful? Kind of like a mini-ledgedash, but without grabbing the ledge.
Nah, that doesn’t work because the walljump momentum pushes you away from the platform. Walljump→AttackAir* is the only proper way to make use of the intangibility.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Are you sure? Since wavedashing is the collision between an airdodging player and the ground, the angle of the airdodge must intersect with the plane of the ground at some point.

If you were standing partially on the slant and did a wavedash with the control stick at the "perfect wavedash" position, the angle of the airdodge would be slightly under 0°. Assuming this angle is more horizontal than the slant of the edge, the airdodge trajectory would never collide with the ground.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Are you sure? Since wavedashing is the collision between an airdodging player and the ground, the angle of the airdodge must intersect with the plane of the ground at some point.

If you were standing partially on the slant and did a wavedash with the control stick at the "perfect wavedash" position, the angle of the airdodge would be slightly under 0°. Assuming this angle is more horizontal than the slant of the edge, the airdodge trajectory would never collide with the ground.
Well the best airdodge angle isn't slightly under 0 since the game doesn't register the angles around the cardinal directions (pic). Idk what angle the slant is at, but if it's not as steep as the steepest airdodge, I don't think it would mess you up. Maybe not doing a frame perfect WD could though... Hmmm, I wonder if you can WD to the ledge faster on YS because of the slant giving you a better relative airdodge angle, actually...

Last edited:

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Looking for formulas to write about for my math class does anyone know off hand what formulas that were found for smash are? I swear I've seen them, but I skimmed a bunch of tech/frame guides and can't find any. Think that were calculating knockback, angles extra.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Looking for formulas to write about for my math class does anyone know off hand what formulas that were found for smash are? I swear I've seen them, but I skimmed a bunch of tech/frame guides and can't find any. Think that were calculating knockback, angles extra.
The knockback formula is the most relevant one, and it should be perfect for a math class example:

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about ledge teching when recovering. does it matter if i press L or R softly(not hear the click) when ledge teching?

Kadano

Magical Express
Can the slant on Yoshi's ever cause an wavedash to come out as an airdodge that would have worked on level ground?
Are you sure?
I assumed that we were talking about frame-perfect wavedashes. If your airdodge timing is off by 1 frame or more, a perfect angle (343°) airdodge will keep you airborne until you are offstage. If your airdodge angle is slightly lower, you will land and thus wavedash if you do it with 1 frame delay. For more than 1 frame delay, the angle needs to be steeper and steeper, but I think that doesn’t need explaining.

The knockback formula is the most relevant one, and it should be perfect for a math class example:
This is exactly what I need if you know of any more please let me know. Thanks
In that video, I messed up on the knockback formula part. I tried to simplify it for the sake of reducing it to the only relevant variables, but yeah, I made a mistake. The annotation above it sort of fixes it, but I’d rather recommend you to use this (100% correct) formula instead: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Knockback#Melee.2FBrawl

I have a question about ledge teching when recovering. does it matter if i press L or R softly(not hear the click) when ledge teching?
You need to press digital (click level). More information:

CeLL

Smash Lord
In Brawl there is dual stick SDI where you hold the control stick one direction and repeatedly tap the c stick in another direction, and you move in the direction that bisects the angle made by those two directions. Does that work in Melee?

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
In melee DI is different. All DI is controlled entirely by the control stick only, with 1 exception. The cstick will override the control stick when it comes to ASDI. If you tried the use case in your example in melee, you would get DI in the direction of your control stick, ASDI in the direction of your cstick, and no SDI

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Keep hearing that it's rare for Fox to win a major tournament. So do Marth, Shiek, Falco individually win more major tounaments than fox?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Who told you that? Fox wins a lot of tournaments, especially because the best player in the world (Mango) happens to play fox.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
might be blind because ive searched the website to find how to play melee online but cant find it. =(

edit: finally found it

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Yo, another question by me haha.

You know how Yoshi can crouch Parry to make it easier for Yoshi to parry since it changes his hurtboxes. Can I assume that this works the same way for every character, but with Powershielding? Like can Sheik or Puff, Kirby, GnW, etc. crouch Powersheild pretty easily since their crouch changes their hurtboxes so much relative to most of the cast?

Last edited:
Top Bottom