• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bowser Thread! Confirmed!!

Fawriel

Smash Master
I find Diablos from FF8 cute, so this itself isn't very wierd at all.
I find Mewtwo adorable.

By the way, I agree with you, Pomfrod. Having a history and incorporating it well is one of the most beautiful things about Smash.
That sounds pretty wrong if you read it out loud, actually. "HULK SMASH IT SO PRETTY"

On the other hand, most characters don't really have any credible "Final Smash"y abilities. Most of what Mario ever did was jump. He also shot fireballs, which is his b moves... and I guess his doubleinfernosuperpowerkamehameha fireballs expand on that.
Link's attack incorporates the Triforce, which will/should be used for the other wielders of the Triforce as well.
And actually, Pika's is from his game... and Kirby's from his game. Yay! :p

As for Bowser, well. I guess that's some more proximate history of his, as well as a reference to all those other times he grew in size.
Did you know that Master Hand made an appearance in a Kirby game?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
As many moves as possible should be game references. Look at G&W. That's 100%. Obviously, this isn't possible with characters like Captain Falcon, but Bowser hasn't exhausted his resources yet. Even Kart and the sports games should come before Giga. Chain Chomp, a swarm of any number of his legions, raining the fire sprites from SMW, the Koopa Kids, and any of his specials from Mario RPG were all wonderful ideas in the running for the Final.

And thanks for elucidating the DBZ mentality I was talking about. That's exactly what I mean. Not everyone thinks that running amok as a "giant monster" is entertaining. Giant monster is simply generic and sad. A rich heritage squandered. That goes for you, too, Link. The Quake Medallion wants to know why you aren't returning her calls.

There is a way to redeem this, however, like Zamus is likely redeemed by embodying the fallen Sheik. If Kamek is the source of this transformation, like in Yoshi's Island, then this will much better tie into the Mario universe.
I don't agree with you on Bowser's FS (although I do agree that more references to old Nintendo games = better), but dear God, I love that idea for Link's FS. In fact, if one of the 3 LttP magic medallions was randomly chosen each time Link got a FS, I'd have a massive nerdgasm. I've wanted to see those realized in full 3d glory for so long.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
And everyone else...GigaBowser is awesome, don't give me crap about a crappy clown car or whatever. GigaBowser is where it's at.
It's... a Giant Bowser. Don't get me wrong, I want to play as him, but in terms of creativity a giant, stronger version of a character < Anything else

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Giga Bowser looks so awesome, but since I'm in favor of having a "Turn off Final Smashes Switch", I hope that they don't use Final Smashes to balance out characters. Otherwise, Bowser probably wouldn't be a great character to play in tournaments, assuming they do end up turning off Final Smashes in tourneys..

Fawriel

Smash Master
So I was checking out today's update, right? And it shows Ike's recovery...

Now read this:

"He’s not flinching?!

He’s not really invincible – he still takes damage. But he won’t flinch in the slightest.

This time, there are several moves like this among the heavy characters, so watch out!
"

Who else suddenly felt euphoric when they read this?

Bowser gets an uninterruptable recovery!!

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
So I was checking out today's update, right? And it shows Ike's recovery...

Now read this:

"He’s not flinching?!

He’s not really invincible – he still takes damage. But he won’t flinch in the slightest.

This time, there are several moves like this among the heavy characters, so watch out!
"

Who else suddenly felt euphoric when they read this?

Bowser gets an uninterruptable recovery!!
yeah i was thinking bowser wont suck anymore.

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
i really hope bowser is getting actually a few moves like that. not just his recovery. He would be much better if a few of his moves couldnt be interupted, and it makes sense i mean HE A SHELLED TURTLE DRAGON he would be able to take a hit and not even flinch if he had to. This could actual make bowser popular and i might use him more often, or dare i say it main him.

SilentFox12345

Smash Cadet
i really hope bowser is getting actually a few moves like that. not just his recovery. He would be much better if a few of his moves couldnt be interupted, and it makes sense i mean HE A SHELLED TURTLE DRAGON he would be able to take a hit and not even flinch if he had to. This could actual make bowser popular and i might use him more often, or dare i say it main him.
He is main-able in Melee. I actually don't want Boozer to have an unflinching move. He can actually be played quite effectively if you have good enough mindgames, but once he's given an unflinching move, people might start to say Bowser is cheap, because it would be even easier to stay alive.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wtf

why would you assume that its only on his recovery, my assumption was that that would be happening on a LOT of his moves, would be wonderful n_n

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
My concern is that if there is no flinching, moves like meteor smashes and spikes won't affect them on their recoveries anymore. :-?
Good?

Bowser and his ilk are far too easy to meteor as it is. Giving them the ability to power through meteors would add balance to the game.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Good?

Bowser and his ilk are far too easy to meteor as it is. Giving them the ability to power through meteors would add balance to the game.

Yes and no. Granted, for someone like Bowser who has little to no vertical recovery, it'd help. But now it's kind of broken. Someone in a tourney can easily just pick someone who can't be meteor'd or shine'd or spiked. It has the potential to add balance, but also has the potential to leave things kinda broken. :-?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Broken? BROKEN?
A lot of people are even against calling near flawless characters like Marth, Fox and Sheik, broken, yet giving otherwise nearly helpless characters actual potential to survive so that their advantage of weight actually matters, is broken?

I hope I'm misunderstanding something here. o_o

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It is not necesarily broken because it will be applied to the heavyweights. Have you seen the models for DK and Bowser. They are gigantic. Seems nearly twice the size of their Melee models and in Melee they were big enough targets as it were.

In order to gain unflinchability Bowser will have to perform a move that has that trait. Maybe his recovery does not have that trait. Plus once Bowser executes his attack there is extensive lag. So from the sounds of the mechanic and the characters it will be applied to, it does not sound broken. It sounds needed.

SilentFox12345

Smash Cadet
It is not necesarily broken because it will be applied to the heavyweights. Have you seen the models for DK and Bowser. They are gigantic. Seems nearly twice the size of their Melee models and in Melee they were big enough targets as it were.

In order to gain unflinchability Bowser will have to perform a move that has that trait. Maybe his recovery does not have that trait. Plus once Bowser executes his attack there is extensive lag. So from the sounds of the mechanic and the characters it will be applied to, it does not sound broken. It sounds needed.
I agree. Hopefully, Nintendo will make the characters much more even w/ things like this.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Broken? BROKEN?
A lot of people are even against calling near flawless characters like Marth, Fox and Sheik, broken, yet giving otherwise nearly helpless characters actual potential to survive so that their advantage of weight actually matters, is broken?

I hope I'm misunderstanding something here. o_o
I'm not against having these characters having a way to survive, but I'm still under the impression something could go wrong here on the competitive scene.

Someone raised the point; Maybe Ike is only invincible in the frames when he throws his sword up. Makes sense; if you're hit while you don't have your sword, then what?

It is not necesarily broken because it will be applied to the heavyweights. Have you seen the s for DK and Bowser. They are gigantic. Seems nearly twice the size of their Melee s and in Melee they were big enough targets as it were.

True. As I said, I can see why these characters need it, to survive. But again, I'm just worried about the metagame (hope I used that term properly).

I agree. Hopefully, Nintendo will make the characters much more even w/ things like this.
Balance is key. If it's not balanced, then you get characters like Dark Phoenix from that X-men: Next Dimension fighting game. Now THAT's broken.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Mind if I jump in on the conversation?

Being a Bowser main myself, I'd have to say that my largest gripe with the character is that he's so easy to trap in little combo moves (Link, Fox, C.F., etc. A-repeated). I have a feeling that these sorts of moves are going to have little effect on him in Brawl (similar to ducking in Melee to prevent flinching on weaker attacks). It didn't make sense to me that one of his largest weaknesses was fast, weak attacks that under normal circumstances would probably make him chuckle in amusement.

You want to take down a fortress? You can't sit there and chip away at it with pistols and knives. You've got to bring out the bombs and battering rams.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Broken? BROKEN?
QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT! QFT!

God forbid, someone has to actually fight Bowser up to the appropriate damage level and hit him with a smash attack to kill him as opposed to just chain throwing him to the ledge and meteoring him. :p

This news about heavies has renewed my faith in Brawl and Sakurai's claim that they'll try for balance this time around.

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
Im sorry if what i said made it sound like i was saying he couldnt be mained. I was just saying that in melee i just cant do it, i have tried and i think ive done pretty well to a point, but when the people you vs are mostly marth and fox or falco and you play against these people all the time your mind games start not working.

Back on the topic on hand though, giving bowser moves like this would make him just better and not broken. Sakura know whats he's doing and hes making the game much more balanced and give people and arent huge fans of overly fast characters people to use and give them benifits to go along with it. Bowser and Dk and huge tagets and this just gives them away to stop these kills on them that just dont seem right for their size. Bowser has some good moves and looks like he is gonna be even better in Brawl so im really in favor of what is hopefully a new advantage for the king of koopas.

Cyndi

Smash Apprentice
Back to Bowser's personality, he is corny, he is goofy, that's the whole mood of Mario games. Bowser may be a villain, but not all villains are hardcore evil, Bowser is actually quite soft-hearted if you've played the games and read the dialogue.

I am more satisfied with his look, because they've kept his main colors intact (but a little rougher) and not so dark bronzy like in Melee. I am hoping they give Bowser the voice they gave him in Super Mario Sunshine. We all know Bowser can speak, he had dialogue in Super Mario RPG, all of the Mario Parties and yes, Super Mario Sunshine. The voice was corny in Super Mario Sunshine, but it fit, because like I have been saying throughout this whole post, Bowser is corny.
o.O The only voice I hear when I imagine Bowser talking is Michael Clark Duncan(and if you don't know who he is, he was the big black dude in The Green Mile). I can't imagine Bowser without a REALLY deep voice.

Oh....um I never played any SSB cuz I suck at it, but I love to watch others play. ^^()

First post here...hi all! Magnum, if you're the same person who runs The Bowser Shrine, I'm that weirdo who sent you Vicissitude! :)

Reyairia

Smash Champion
o.O The only voice I hear when I imagine Bowser talking is Michael Clark Duncan(and if you don't know who he is, he was the big black dude in The Green Mile). I can't imagine Bowser without a REALLY deep voice.

Oh....um I never played any SSB cuz I suck at it, but I love to watch others play. ^^()

First post here...hi all! Magnum, if you're the same person who runs The Bowser Shrine, I'm that weirdo who sent you Vicissitude! :)
Hey, I've seen you on DeviantART before! :D Nice to see a fellow B/P fan. :3

I adore Bowser, and I think I can say that he's the reason I've gotten more serious about gaming recently. I tried to main him in Melee, but it's true that he was underpowered and I hope he really gets what he deserves and becomes what he is; a fortress like Copperpot said.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
According to the E for All players, Bowser is much better. Not so easy to kill, Giga Bowser is invincible and his new Side B is awesome.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Hmmm......I'd main Bowser too in a heartbeat if there wasn't so much lag in his moves before they come out. It can only be expected I suppose seeing how he's so larger than life.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Rejoice my fellow Bowser players.

We have been rewarded by the gaming gods for our persistence and patience.

Bowser for God Tier!

NukeA6

Smash Master
After reading the E for All thread, I'm very happy that Bowser has been improved. You have no idea how much I wanted to main that guy before Melee was released. Now I can get chance to do so!!!

Bowser and DK for God-Tier!!

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
I hope one of Bowser's taunts is a creepy laugh like in Hotel Mario. I know it won't happen, though. XP

jmed591

Smash Rookie
Can someone get a list started of which moves have been changed based on E for All information? Specifically his fair, bair, and up b...

Top Bottom