• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official AC Villager Discussion Thread! He smiles as he smashes faces in! [Update: CONFIRMED!]

Hong

The Strongest
RNG on the turnips, RNG on Pocket, RNG on Timber.

I don't know. I'm feeling awfully less comfortable about the Villager now that we are learning more. I guess it would be alright for Peach and G&W mains, since they are used to RNG. I hate RNG, myself. :/

Hong

The Strongest
are you sure pocket has RNG? uair and dair suck so it's ok
I'm not.

We know things can fall out of your pocket when attacked; is it random, or a specific % threshold?

I've seen it fall out from just a few pokes while others have played, meanwhile it never happened once to me while I played. Requires testing, to be certain.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Speaking of RNG, anyone heard anything about meteor smashes in relation to turnips? I have been able to get it a few times but can't tell if it's based on the number you draw or if it's just a very specific sweetspot, or a combination. I'll keep trying if no one knows.

also villager is my favorite character in the demo. I have to say most moves are a bit lacking in range and are pretty awkward.
also most moves are dreadful for KOs and the ones that are good are fsmash and your tree, and of course drawing 3 turnips. I have been following a lot off stage and just using sweetspotted fair for kills since recovery is no problem.

also dtilt is good, as is pivoting into ftilt. utilt is also good but the range is a bit lacking for me, but I guess this is coming from someone that is used to Dedede's awesome utilt :3

Hong

The Strongest
I've only gotten meteor smashes off of triple Ts, myself.

Villager seems to be the supreme sovereign of off-stage play. Lots of good edge guarding options, lots of aerial control, and can always come back, even from deep.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I know people might think I'm crazy

But Villagers recovery isn't that good. :D
explain!
(I would agree actually, but only when someone's there to inhibit it. most times I can get back no problem (even more parentheses, but again these are computers), hell you can fly under battlefield with your balloons)

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I know people might think I'm crazy

But Villagers recovery isn't that good. :D
Nah. I know what you're saying, and somewhat agree.

It's not safe, if that's what you mean. Balloon Trip covers a lot of distance, but as players get better, it will be easier and easier to snipe.

That said, it works well for off-stage play since you can live dangerously and get back from the furthest reach. Lloid Rocket is better for actual recovery, since it seems to absorb all projectiles and you get a refund on-hit. Since it seems to be immune to damage, Villager is only vulnerable to attacks with long disjointed hitboxes, or attacks from above.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Why Villagers Recovery Sucks:

1) Extremely slow
2) Cannot act out of it (falls into helpless if you attempt to do things)
3) Runs on a "fuel" system so the more you use it in succession, the less distance it travels
4) No hitboxes
5) Balloons can be popped

Hong

The Strongest
Essentially.

It's good for travelling distances, not trying to get back against an actual edgeguarder. In a few months from now, Fox players will be able to snipe the balloons. Hopefully we'll get a custom special move option that has hitbox or something.

Edit - That said, I think Lloid Rocket is decent, paired up with his high midair jump. Just not Balloon Trip.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yeah I think you just kinda gotta know when to use his up b and when to use side b for recovery. I think they're good in different situations.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I've been watching Villager in streams, and he kind of reminds me of Guile from Street Fighter. Like, he's a purely defensive fighter. He has good normals, but it occurs to me that he can't really approach efficiently without a slow moving projectile like his gyroid in front of him (like Guile's Sonic Boom). He looks interesting in that way.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Sad to read impressions on her recovery since it's what initially attracted me to this character.

It LOOKS amazing, but I could see it playing very differently.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am playing the Villager now. She is so fun, though I still have no idea how to use her moves properly.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm playing the final build a lot for the weekend so I'll mess around with villager a bit, but mostly saving stuff for the demo because I don't own the japanese 3ds and want to play as much of the game that won't be in the demo that I can but some small stuff I've found about Villager that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet:
-Riding side-b into fair is a really solid combo at some percents
-Riding side-b into throwing side-b is good at higher percents, it doesn't combo, but it's good for zoning them when they're trying to land
-From what I've played and seen Duck Hunt Dog seems to be really good, Villager pockets a lot of what makes him good, I haven't tried the Villager vs DHD MU myself, but I think it's something worth note
-Dash attack is good for covering roll aways with the pot and you can follow up really well
-Dtilt I think is definitely one of his best moves, I think it has a solid disjointed hitbox and it leads to good follow ups at low percents, and high percents it has kill potential (not super amazing or anything, but the kill potential is there). The fact that he reaches back to pluck is really good
-Fsmash isn't as bad as people say, again since you reach backwards before the bowling ball it makes it safe if you use it in the right situations and it kills early.

Youtroid

Smash Cadet
So has anyone noticed how incredibly amazing Pocket's invincibility frames are? It completely negates all damage and knock back. I've tested it on a few different moves. It might not be all of them, but it's incredible.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
^ That's great news. I keep worrying I will get the timing wrong when I go to pocket something coming straight at me haha so hopefully I will be able to pick it up easily.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Came by to say I love the way Villager plays, I got lucky and got the demo and I've been playing with her alot.

I also came to say that I took pictures of her that could give you nightmares.

Introducing: METAL VILLAGER

And of course the Final Smash eyes!

I really do enjoy her though, but you gotta be crafty to really bring out the potential. Sorry for the poor quality photos all I had to take the pictures was my webcam.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So has anyone noticed how incredibly amazing Pocket's invincibility frames are? It completely negates all damage and knock back. I've tested it on a few different moves. It might not be all of them, but it's incredible.
You mean it's like OLIMARS WHISTLE???

Invincibility on command? This character is looking very interesting to say the least

Dr. Dim

Smash Rookie
Villager completely won me over in the demo :D
Esp. in the moment when I managed to fly unter the stage with his recovery and edgegrabbed the other side :D

BTW: What can you do with the wood brick, you get out of the timber occasionally? I tried throwing it, but it did nothing.

Last edited:

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I want to know your opinion, but I played the demo from Cub Nintendo and Villager is really OP. First of all his up-b is clearly to good. But his pocket ability doubles the damage and knock-back of the attack you pick up, so if you pick-up the villagers bowling ball at full charge and reuse it it is pretty much and instant kill not matter what. Also, his up/down air seem to have priority over every other attack the other characters have. This is just what I think as of now because the other characters in the game may prove this differently. I really want to know what y'all think who has played the demo or even the Japanese version. :)

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Why Villagers Recovery Sucks:

1) Extremely slow
2) Cannot act out of it (falls into helpless if you attempt to do things)
3) Runs on a "fuel" system so the more you use it in succession, the less distance it travels
4) No hitboxes
5) Balloons can be popped
Honestly, I need to disagree. When I was playing the demo, I would us it left and right to see if there would ever be a bad time to us it, but I never had any bad effect. If one of the cpu ever hit while using it, I could just use it again.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I've only gotten meteor smashes off of triple Ts, myself.

Villager seems to be the supreme sovereign of off-stage play. Lots of good edge guarding options, lots of aerial control, and can always come back, even from deep.
Does, anyone know if the is a way to decide how many turnips will come out of the up/down air. I took some time to see if the was any way to determine which will come out, but they never seemed consistent.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone's compiled them yet but there's a 99% chance Villager's custom recovery moves are a faster, non-steerable one and one that covers less distance but has a hitbox, going by established patterns.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pocket still has dropping chance? Oh no. Was this fixed from the demo or something? I have to yet see my pocketed item go off.

Also:

Here it is. The best song in the entire game.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Villager's recovery feels a lot like Snake's. It covers a lot of distance, and will usually get you back to the stage, but also leaves you very vulnerable and lets the opponent rack up tons of damage on you. Villager does have the advantage of being much better in the air and having multiple recovery options, but you should be able to rack up some damage on him when he gets knocked offstage.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Villager's recovery feels a lot like Snake's. It covers a lot of distance, and will usually get you back to the stage, but also leaves you very vulnerable and lets the opponent rack up tons of damage on you. Villager does have the advantage of being much better in the air and having multiple recovery options, but you should be able to rack up some damage on him when he gets knocked offstage.
That's awkward since Animal Crossing and Metal Gear are exact opposites.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
So I was able to get a demo code and I've been playing Villager hardcore planning to main him. From what I've gathered from playing and reading, most effective playstyle against most matchups (in the demo) is to play around planted trees, taking advantage of down-b status (axe, watering can), chasing off-stage with slingshot like a pseudo-wop, and spamming lloyd rockets. Everything's been mentioned. I mained Falcon in Brawl so naturally I tried comboing upclose with no gimmicks at first, but it's pretty hard with Villager. Mario out-prioritizes alot of Villager's close-up moves and you probably won't win without what I mentioned above. I generally had more success jabbing and leading into d-tilt or starting combos with nairing, di-ing down really quick and jabbing and going from there. D-tilt has more range than it looks, and f-tilt is also pretty good for spacing. I really intend on maining Villager forevverrr because of my obsession with Animal Crossing, so hopefully his competitive game develops and we can work out more effective strategies.

Last edited:

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Hey guys just thought I would throw this idea out there for all of y'all playing the Japanese version, the demo, or are planning to get it. I realize how in this new smash the took out chain grabs, but with the Villager I managed to to do something to make up for. it. What I did was grab, down-throw, and then I used his side-b to his him, which I think canceled the the moment that you can't re-grab the character. So, then I used his grab and repeated. I realize that this is not a REAL chain-grab and I also don't know how reliable it can be. I managed to do it 4 grabs in a row on a lvl1 cpu, 3 grabs in a row on lvl5, and only twice on a lvl9. I hope in some way this could help some people and I will definitely be experimenting more!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Alright, I think I played enough of Villager to give my thoughts.

-When guys said he's an off-stage champ, they weren't kidding...

Fella tries to approach you from far? Lloyd Rocket.
Coming to the edge? Hop up and N-Air or F-Air if you want to play safe.
Or best, drop the bowling ball on their face when they are open during about to touch the ground near you or latch on the edge.

The little guy has such crazy projectiles and tools just dreamily FIT to make sure your opponent doesn't make it back to the stage. And if that all wasn't enough, Balloon Trip is almost a cheat code with it's durability and easy control (unlike Wings of Pegasus that Pit had in last game) and makes any off-stage game free from any risk. You can combo and gimp the opponent as much as you like and still flap back to the stage all safe.

- Jab is nice pressure tool and moves the opponent nicely enough for D-Tilt follow-up. You can disrupt the opponent's approaches close as well, it can be kinda spammed that way.

- Dash Attack is nice, hits opponents to the air well. I use it a lot for approaching or followups after sending the opponent forward from N-Air or F-Tilts. The flower pot makes for a good projectile too. Cute animation also.

- F-Tilt was said to be bad due range - doesn't seem that bad to me. That much.
Usually tend to use it on opponents laying on the ground and knocking them over edge. Good get-away-from-me-move as well.

- D-Air Turnips are great short-hop approaching moves that combo nicely on other things. Love to spam them along with N-Air. F-Air and B-Air are more situational though, they seem to miss a lot to me and end too quick near ground for some reason. Not very safe.

- Oh right, N-Air. Diddy's has found it's match. Amazing approaching, gimp and combo tool. I can juggle the opponents almost whole FD through constant short-hop wheeling. Sweet sweet spinning. I think this is one of Villager's best moves. Comes out just real fast to use for just about anything.

- F-Air and B-Air are difficult to use. Can't find them reliable aside from hitting opponents falling after a (succesful) Up-Throw or Dash.The projectile isn't that good for hitstun and seems to just hit better from close. Might call this Mega Man-bad as an aerial move.
As an off-stage tool though, yet another good move to use to gimp the attempted recoveries from far away. Better master this boy...

- F-Smash is bad as regular KO:ing tool, but if going to punishing openings close or edge-guarding: Top. Tier.
It hits real hard for a bad range. Tends to be most useful during reading punishes or lags in moves, and during edgeguarding opponents. Maybe even more reliable than Timber as I seemed to not use it over this.
Also, nicknamed this B-B. Or Bass Ball. (Drop the Bass. Seabass. Hahah)

- U-Tilt is almost useless. Usually the opponents I played against (high leveled) tend to DI out of it or the hits won't connect for some reason. Use D-Tilt or U-Smash instead.

- D-Tilt is good, has nice disjointed box I can sometimes abuse near edges. Goes well with D-Turnips. F-Air is more difficult to me though.

- U-Smash is difficult to hit with for some reason. You have to really make the guys hit that crackling sweet-spot or it doesn't do much. In lower percents can combo to U-Turnips.

- D-Smash is useless against CPUs. I wonder how it fares with human players due this. If it's more difficult for them than CPUs due mashing, this can turn into a mean tool. Could someone tell how easy it is to break free for you?

- Net. Is. Bad. Like, real bad.

Awful lag and is just teeny-bit longer than a regular grab. Lloid Rocket is mandatory to put up before using this, some say it makes grabbing OP apparently, much easier to grab 'em because trying to avoid rocket to net. Usually.

Don't use this otherwise unless reading techs very well and perhaps during higher percents to send the opponent off easier to off-stage kills. However, rolls being more powerful than before makes it really difficult, even detrimental to Villager's success.). I wish he used that fishing rod instead, would have made for a crazy tether. So sad.

Alright, special moves.

- Pocket: Game-changing move. Seriously. Did Sakurai just open a new kind of depth to using Smash's huge array of items with this move? I would say yes.
Villager is GODLY in FFA + Items when having this move. Seriously. I have found too many almost game-breaking or easy-on-my-favour situations when finding helpful items. And the combinations or situations with this seem limitless.

- Containers like Barrel or Crate? Pocket them and make DK cry his dongs out because how easy it is for you to move around using this. Only downside is that you throw it instantly out in a regular power instead of being able to use Smash Throw. Still, really good. Crates might be more useful than Barrels due latter rolling slowly if thrown from Pocket-

- Hammer. Pocket it. Free kills in situations that you might find in your favour. Break those opponents' skulls like eggs in a barrel. Golden Hammer = GG. (Unless Squeaky.)

- Warpstar. Already ridiculously good, but when you Pocket it, a great recovery tool that also kills. Might help in stages that has difficult time for you recover upwards, even with Balloon Trip, I predict. Besides it's just fun to see the kids just start flying right when near dying from down borders. (Surprise muffer buzzers)

- Gust Bellows. Knock opponents out, pull the thingamagic up and gimp their recovery very easily. Skyward Sword can't touch this.

- Battering Items: Keep a personal weapon! Remember to make sure they don't fall to the "void" (more on this later). Homerun Bat can be OP if the D-Smash is difficult to mash out from with human players.
Ore Club is grea ttoo , hits hard and has also twisters on its aid. Fire Bar and Lip's Stick come after.

- Drill Arm: Pocket during being capable of getting a kill or going for it. After a KO, look for a good opening, shoot the drill away and, easy stock off.

- Beetle: 1- to your opponents. Easier to use due having better control after pocketing. Moves really slow as well for you to re-grab for another attempt. Oh right, Beetles thrown at your direction can't harm you. (Wasn't it always like this?)

- S-Flag: LOL

- Bob-omb: Have fun messing with your opponent by pulling the guy out and then pocket it again. Also you can pocket it during him trying to detonate and walking. Wow.

-Bumper: You can pocket it again after having thrown it. Can be good for potential stage control of your liking. Bumper just became a nasty tool.

- Blue Shells: Rather difficult to get due it being above you all the time, but I've seen it work. You can also mess with your opponent by sparing him from the blue explosion. Super Horn cries in the corner.

- Healing Items: Items: None. (Fairy Bottle is in particular useful if you make sure it doesn't go into the Void)

- Gooey Bomb: Same as Bumper, you can pocket it again if it misses the opponent and is stuck on the ground. Sweet.

- Killer Eye: Deploy a turret TF2-style. If it falls over, Pocket. I dunno if it's durability time can be reset.

- Hothead: Pocket and hope for Fire Flower or other fiery weapons to come out.

- Lightning Bolt or Super Mushroom: Same as Healing Items. Maybe worse.

- Motion Sensor Bomb. Better than Bumper or Gooey Bomb. You can throw it under the stage's edges to make recovery devilishly difficult. Or just set it up to a place you find most optimal. Can be pocketed after being set.

- Pitfall: Classic Animal Crossing. Meteor 'em off-stage or bury 'em on the spot on ground.

- Starman: *Uncontrollable giggling during playing. Opposing player makes most aggravated faces of hilarity*

- Timer: Smash Bros became Jojos Bizarre Adventure: The Game. (ZA WARUDO)

- Team Healer. Heal your team-mate hella easy when this appears

- X-Bomb: Surprise hits. Fun to use.

- Diddy's Nanas: I read that you can pocket his Nanas and make him unable to pull another. Yowch.

I might try going through the characters themselves after the full game comes out

- Projectiles become 1.5 - 2x more powerful if Pocketed. Instant reflecting traded for practicality and versatile use.

- You can't keep the item infinitely, sadly enough. I noticed your Pocketed item stays in your storage for 30 seconds before disappearing to a "void". To avoid this keep refreshing the item in your pocket by pulling it out now and then. Not too difficult, really. Also used the coined term "void" from the AC-games to refer that "nowhere" place Villagers go when moving out from your town unless some other player requests them on their own town during moving day.)

- Oh right, Pocket has INVICIBILITY FRAMES during the move. Similar to Olimar's Whistle it seems. First time I use a move that way though, but might come in handy, it saved me at times during accidental press.

I guess that's about it.

- Lloid Rocket: Sweet, sweet projectile and a makes for lots of mindgame shenanigans. Unless you're Mario or other guy witha good reflector, urgh. But it's reliable and good tool for spacing, giving little delayed hits for your opponent to deal with, gimping recoveries and also be used in tandem of grabs and aerials because your dash is about same as the Lloid's flying speed. Recovering with it is really good too, but remember to not be in your opponent's way if he has a reflector, otherwise you're turned back away to die in the stage. A very important tool for a Villager-mainer.

- Balloon Trip: The thing that makes Villager almost meaner than Jigglypuff and lets him do those off-stage kills so reliably. This move et's you fly into crazy heights from all the mashing, right up to the above border from FD's below-stage sections. Also very easy to control - I guess I loved Balloon Fight that much.
The balloons aren't also that easy to hit so far from the opponents for me unless humans manages to aim on 'em better than the CPUs. Amazing recovery move, inseparable from Villager to me.

- Timber: Alright, this is a difficult one.

I tend to not use this much due in tandem of the fights, basically stay in place to try luring people to a tree-kill. On the other hand, I seem to use this after I score my first KO, and sometimes when I need a quick kill move (Killager and his Mr.Axe)
Watering Can seems bit weird, doesn't really move the opponent that much - however it's great for moving them towards the sapling if they're in front of it as it forces them near it and the growing tree pops them up. Move has kill potential, perhaps I'm just ignoring it for some reason, I guess I like Villager as he is already. Like I said, Axe is a nice killing tool, does a good knockback and can do the job for you more reliably than the tree if far away from it.
Like I said, I dunno where to use this most effectively yet, edgeguarding might be nice but already having lots of tools for that - on the other hand, this makes for a good wall. Maybe a start? I can see this being mean as hell in groups though.

Alright, that's about it. Hope you guys might wanna tell me tips based on what I do and observed, I wanna keep on learning to use the little buddy. Definitely my main from now on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom