• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official AC Villager Discussion Thread! He smiles as he smashes faces in! [Update: CONFIRMED!]

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
ANIMAL CROSSING VILLAGER for SUPER SMASH BROS. 4

Origin:

The Animal Crossing villager is the quintessential "Good Neighbor".
They pick up the weeds and the garbage, they pay their debt on time, they mend relationships between unhappy animals, they fish, they give their fish away to beavers with the munchies. They have golden statues of them erected in their honor!
and in the next game:
THEY RUN THE ENTIRE TOWN. LITERALLY.

--

Reasoning:
Whether you support AC Villager, Tom Nook, Kapp'n, Resetti, or WHOEVER.

One thing is certain:

SMASH BROTHERS NEEDS AN ANIMAL CROSSING REP.

So let's not make this a Tom Nook vs. AC Villager thing, let's make this a:

ANY ANIMAL CROSSING REP CAN KICK ANYONE'S BUTT, THEY ARE NOT WEAKLINGS.

--
--
--

Smash Bros Essentials:

Franchise Logo:

WHICH VILLAGER TO CHOOSE?:

This is a very simple obstacle to overcome, with a solution I thought of.

An idea that I had that could make it work would be a "random generator" that chooses between 8 random faces (each for boy/girl) 10 random hairstyles (each for boy/girl) and 20 random outfits (each for boy/girl).

On the Character selection Screen, players, if they choose Villager, can choose between Boy or Girl. When the fight is loading, the game then generates a random face and outfit combination. In actuality, this is a neat reference to the somewhat "randomization" you get from starting the game, Animal Crossing, itself.

The outfits do not affect gameplay, and there are no full "masks" in the potential outfits.

---

NAME?:
Since the characters are something you name yourself, this is a tricky one. However, here are some potential names that you guys can vote on if you want. (I'll keep track!)

Villager

Animal Crosser

Smasher (similar to naming of town, e.g. Smashville)

---

--

-

Potential Moveset:

STANDARD:
Action | Moveset
Neutral ( A ) | Jab - Jab - Kick
Forward Tilt (A+Tilt) | Axe
Up Tilt (A+Tilt Up) | Hits upwards (like mortgage dance)
Down Tilt (A+Tilt Down) | Trips, but hits foes
Dash Attack (Dash+A Forward) | Headbutt

SPECIALS:
Action | Moveset
Special ( B ) | Slingshot (Once pressed, can move direction)
Side Special (B+Tilt) | Butterfly Net (Acts Like Yoshi's tongue.)
Special Up (B+Tilt Up) | Balloon inflates in hand, and pulls him up
Special Down (B+Tilt Down) | Shovel, digs and places Pitfall

FINAL SMASH:
U.F.O Crash | Villager hold slingshot up and shoots down U.F.O, which then crashes on to the stage causing massive damage on contact.

OTHER:
Action | Moveset
Grab | Uses Fishing Rod, similar to Hookshot

SIZE:
Animal Crosser had a problem before because of stubby legs and arms.

HOWEVER that has all been changed with the new 3DS game. The characters
now have longer legs and arms suitable for Smash Bros.!

As for size, the same size as Mario (maybe a BIT smaller) would be perfect.

Defenses up!

Animal Crosser is generic, unlike Tom Nook and Crazy Redd.
-Animal Crossing Villager is not generic, those who would recognize any character from the games would also recognize the Villager.

Tom Nook is an established character, unlike Villager who always changes.
-The above answer helps too. The Villager is also an established character of the series, as well as being the playable character.

Sakurai said they can't fight.
-There are a few smashers who, outside of smash, you wouldn't think that they'd beat up on other people. Sakurai has been known to say a lot of things (See: Ridley), but his mind can always change!

OVERALL:

Let me know what you guys think :) Suggestions would be amazing!

I'd also politely ask to please consider him in your future rosters :D Thank you!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If there was an Animal Crossing character, it would no doubt be the Villager.

But there won't be. Most unfortunate.

Also the character model generator idea is a bit much. Their faces, since they are only textures, would change with the palette swap. As would their shirts and hair colors. A female model would probably be treated similar to Wario's second model. So there would be six male colors and six female colors. To not have to deal with hair styles, they would likely wear the hat they originally wore in the GameCube game.

Veggi

Smash Champion
The Animal Crosser would be pretty cool, but the reason that turns me away from them is that I like the Smash roster being made up of actual characters. If the Villager was in I would definitely play as them though. Maybe there could just be a lot of selectable costumes for the character. Like 4 costumes could be for the girl and 4 could be for the boy and they would be radically different. Maybe if save data for Animal Crossing 3DS could alter the way the Villager looks (at least for the 3DS version.) There really should be an Animal Crossing rep though! It's so dumb that there's not. -_-

:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
In animal Crossing, your character's appearance depends on the name you give them.
For example a normal name will get you a normal face, but a name full of hearts and numbers and lightning bolts will get ya one of them Wonky faces.
It would be amazing if they could somehow program it so that you're name affects their appearance, I wonder what DBON would look like. Man they better allow more letters in the names in SM4SH!
The first animal crossing we saw in the west was actually a port of the japanese animal crossing for the N64.
Which explains the graphics.

D

Deleted member

Well, Brawl had a random face for a Primid loaded up everytime you turned on Brawl, so I guess something like that could be for the Villagers.

As for character art and Trophies, they'd have one "specific" face for that, again, like the Primids.
But hairstyles and outfits should remain as color swaps, even if they're technically costume swaps.

EDIT: Although, only Mr. Resetti should be playable. :troll: Claws? Check! Pick? Check! Rage-filled mole? Double-check! This is gonna get ugly!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm an Animal Crossing representative supporter.

Going from that, I actually like the idea as playing as the Villager. From how you described it, it sounds pretty usable. Again, I'll be happy as long as there's an AC representative character.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
@ Onyx: Can I borrow some stuff from this thread such as some of the structure of the OP and the AC logo for the Tom Nook thread?
Yeah! Fer sure. Go for it :]

What game did YOU play?
In Animal Crossing GC, Rover the Cat is the one that asks you questions. In City Folk, and I BELIEVE Wild World, it is Kapp'n. (Since he doesn't have his row boat anymore :c )

Well, Brawl had a random face for a Primid loaded up everytime you turned on Brawl, so I guess something like that could be for the Villagers.

As for character art and Trophies, they'd have one "specific" face for that, again, like the Primids.
But hairstyles and outfits should remain as color swaps, even if they're technically costume swaps.
That's great! So there is some form on random generating already in brawl.
Color swaps for hair sound perfectly find, as and as @Veggi said, four completely different costumes. (Like, Boy's shirt has SMASH on it or something)

I also like Veggi's idea of having your AC player synced when the Wii U animal crossing comes out :) (or even 3DS!)

I'm an Animal Crossing representative supporter.
Going from that, I actually like the idea as playing as the Villager. From how you described it, it sounds pretty usable. Again, I'll be happy as long as there's an AC representative character.
That's the TOTAL spirit! :D

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
VERY unlikely that any Animal Crossing character will appear as playable.
I mean, while they're not completely defenseless, they're not fighters either.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
^^^ Doesn't have an Avatar, therefore opinion doesn't matter. ^^^

Anyway I wanna see the Animal Crosser do that thing where they grab trees and shake them...except in combat...with Mario...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
VERY unlikely that any Animal Crossing character will appear as playable.
I mean, while they're not completely defenseless, they're not fighters either.
:olimarbrawl: :yoshibrawl: :gwbrawl: :robbrawl: :peachbrawl: :falconbrawl:

D

Deleted member

Well really, that would only apply to Game & Watch and R.O.B.

Olimar's games are about survival and commanding an army of Pikmin. He does that in Smash too.
Yoshi eats enemies, throws eggs at them, and butt stomps them.
Peach did SOME attack things in SMRPG, and was able to throw enemies and throw vegetables at enemies in SMB2. After her Smash debut, she had Vibe Powers and used Perry to fight in her own game.
Captain Falcon when he's not racing is a bounty hunter. While it's not seen on screen, that implies he does his share of violence.

DEPSITE THIS, a 2-D figure with no concept of good or evil (and had his share in violence, like the Vermin game) and a robot peripheral with no backstory are easier to make into fighters than a villager who's goal is to just live happily.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How is Yoshi not a fighter? He fights against an entire army or koopa troops in multiple games

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sure the Animal Crossers may seem like the ideal picturesque image of the perfect neighbor, but when the Police aren't around and the small town government is in crisis, who do they call? Villager suits up and becomes... Villagerante! (villager + vigilante) The most bad and the most *** ever to walk the small compound that is the animal crossing world. Taking out crime one bug net at a time. And they don't even ask for any bells in return, for the reward of doing a good deed is reward enough for them...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Since we need more child fighters, Animal Crosser is my top pick. As long as he/she different from Tom Nook gameplay wise in the final product.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
You start wrecking the Villager's precious town by FIGHTING in it, in Brawl. They be mad. They'll be back to avenge their beloved town, SMASHVILLE.... by smashing faces in. (There's your motive!)

--

Since we need more child fighters, Animal Crosser is my top pick. As long as he/she different from Tom Nook gameplay wise in the final product.
If Sakurai chose both Animal Crosser and Tom Nook, they could differ by Animal Crosser taking advantage of his/her tools while Tom Nook takes advantage of bells, trees, furniture, etc.

Veggi

Smash Champion
In Animal Crossing the villager has no goals. The player can do whatever they want, even if that means 100% of the player's play time is spent trying to hit other villagers with the net. Why would Mario want to attack Peach? This game is about Nintendo's most popular characters duking it out. I don't see why people think being aggressive in some way is a prerequisite for being in Smash. Think about Game and Watch and ROB. Specifically Game and Watch. He just does tasks and Sakurai (surprisingly) made a good move set for him using the tools *cough* Animal Crosser/Tom Nook uses tools *cough* and skills *cough* Animal Crosser/Tom Nook have skills *cough* that he uses in his games.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I didn't think that AC Villager fitted so well in Smash after reading this moveset.
Or, maybe they could use Tom Nook using the same moveset (it would make sense, since he sells the things the AC Villager uses), if the fact that the Villager can be considered "generic", but I still think the Villager would be better.

I really like the random face idea. Though the Villager isn't my first choice for AC rep, I wouldn't be upset at all if they ended up in the game. They have potential to be really unique characters.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
In Animal Crossing there is a trio of chars (a kitty, a squirrel and an Elephant) known together as the "Smash Bros."
You know, the ones with the numbered helmet.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Have the Smashes use the Net, Fishing Rod, and Shovel!
UpSmash: Net
SideSmash: Fishing Rod
Down Smash: Shovel
Also Fishing Rod Grabs people AND tethers!
Also we NEED both boy and girl costumes!

jigglover

Smash Lord
He just does tasks and Sakurai (surprisingly) made a good move set for him using the tools *cough* Animal Crosser/Tom Nook uses tools *cough* and skills *cough* Animal Crosser/Tom Nook have skills *cough* that he uses in his games.

You might want to see a doctor, it sounds like you have chest infection! :troll:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
This would be my first choice when deciding on an AC rep.

Unfortunately, Animal Crossing will never have a playable rep.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well really, that would only apply to Game & Watch and R.O.B.

Olimar's games are about survival and commanding an army of Pikmin. He does that in Smash too.
Yoshi eats enemies, throws eggs at them, and butt stomps them.
Peach did SOME attack things in SMRPG, and was able to throw enemies and throw vegetables at enemies in SMB2. After her Smash debut, she had Vibe Powers and used Perry to fight in her own game.
Captain Falcon when he's not racing is a bounty hunter. While it's not seen on screen, that implies he does his share of violence.

DEPSITE THIS, a 2-D figure with no concept of good or evil (and had his share in violence, like the Vermin game) and a robot peripheral with no backstory are easier to make into fighters than a villager who's goal is to just live happily.
this pretty much explains why this character is far too unlikely to appear. even if some characters are not shown fighting in-game, they are implied to, such is the case with Capt. Falcon.

the Game & Watch series had games involving more fighting, such as Vermin, like GoldenYuiitusin said, but also the Boxing game and the Lion game, where you had to keep lions in a cage using chairs, hence his side A. you could argue that Mr. Game & Watch is more of a composite character featuring attacks based on the entire series.

fighting for all of the characters featured so far in Smash isn't something out of character for them, unlike what happens with Animal Crossing characters. sure, they could get some moves and such, but it seems completely off.

D

Deleted member

It was Sakurai that said that characters like the Animal Crossing player character will not be playable if it is unfeasible for them to fight.
I don't recall anything from the creator of the series.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It was Sakurai that said that characters like the Animal Crossing player character will not be playable if it is unfeasible for them to fight.
I don't recall anything from the creator of the series.
Huh. i remember the creator saying that. :urg:

Well i guess it's much more possible then.

Although, i probably heard what i thought on Gamefaqs. Which would make sense why i can't find the quote.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
The reason I say that is that not even words from Sakurai's mouth can guarantee anything. Ever.

Nothing short of, "I promise that *insert thing here* will happen/not happen ever ever ever," can give a 100% chance of such a thing. Even then, things change in mid development. I'm not saying that nothing he says matters, but you can't point to quotes as absolute, especially in the world of game development.

Now, I will point out my own bias in that an AC character is really my most desired character for SSB4. But that doesn't really change the fact that Sakurai has opened up the roster for A-listers within the Nintendo universe, regardless of their combat ability or motivation. That's something he's done with his philosophies and practices. So he's going to have to rationalize the fact that Animal Crossing is FACTUALLY IN REAL LIFE PERIOD one of Nintendo's huge, franchise, brand-name IPs. Regardless of what you individually feel, this warrants at least consideration for a playable character slot. Even moreso than pre-Brawl.

However, I have confidence that Sakurai has to realize that his handling of the Smash Bros. roster has made the statement that "it is unfeasible for X to fight" moot. What I mean by this is that Sakurai has stated that Smash Bros. is a festival of Nintendo characters, that it's supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo characters. From this and past examples, I draw the conclusion that big name, superstar IPs are prime candidates for playable characters, REGARDLESS of ridiculous cherry-picking and hair-splitting to see if so and so has "combat ability." AC fits the bill.

At the end of the day, perhaps, I'm just a bit deluded and desperate for AC to see a playable character. But there's just too much stock put into statements that may or may not be concrete. We cannot be completely certain about any particular thing until it happens.

That having been said, Sakurai's statements does carry weight. I'm just cautiously hopeful that he'll wake up and realize that AC is too omnipotent to be shunned this time around.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
AC Jump Out is around the corner and we get to be a Mayor this time. I was wondering, why settle for a Villager while we can have the upgrade, The Mayor. That way his move set potential increases a bit. But not his chances...

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Mayor of Smashville, huh?

Only if he's wearing the blazer and fedora. Like a crooked early 1900s prohibitionist mayor who secretly moves shipments of alcohol through Smashville.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Whats with all the neagtivity here? I've wanted an Animal Crossing rep since before Brawl came out and I dont think the chances are so bad the 2nd time around for the series. They'll have like four games out before the new Smash shows up anything gameplay wise.
Y'ALL GOTTA BELIEVE!

Top Bottom