• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2015 Melee Tier List & Community Lists Released

Over the past few years top players have pushed the metagame for Melee to new heights. As new techniques have been discovered and old techniques have been perfected and applied more consistently; match-ups have been taken into new directions and the dominant characters have changed. Smashboards polled played ranked in the Top 40 of either the Smashboards or MeleeItOnMe rankings during 2015 and complied the data to create the next official update to the tier list for Super Smash Bros Melee. The previous release can be found here for reference.

Official 2015 Melee Tier List

SS
:foxmelee:
S :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :sheikmelee:

High
A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee:

B :icsmelee::falconmelee:
High Mid
C
:pikachumelee::samusmelee:
Mid
D
:drmario::yoshimelee::luigimelee:
Low Mid
E
:ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::younglinkmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee:
Low
F
:gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee::nessmelee:
Bottom
G:pichumelee:
:bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

The full details for the 2015 Melee Tier List can be found here. Statistics for the character placements and separations are available, with individual votes from the top players to be posted individually over time. Please note that this list is for NTSC. Earlier this year the third official PAL tier list was released on SmashEurope.

In addition, two other lists have been created as well. While the main tier list only features the votes and opinions of top level players, the other lists highlight a more broadened community opinion. The official tier list uses votes of twenty-four players ranked in the Top 40 of either the Smashboards or MeleeItOnMe rankings. The "Community Panel" list is less restrictive and utilizes the votes of sixty players who appeared ranked in the top thousand on the Smashboards rankings. This generally means they are at minimum tournament goers of a moderate skill level, but also includes high level talent not quite up to the Top 40. The final list is an all-inclusive "Community" list where lists from the community at large were accepted, regardless of tournament results or attendance. This means that viewers and theorists could have their opinions weighed in as well. This list features the votes of over one thousand smashers. The full release for the community lists can be found here thanks to the efforts of @Sveet.

Official | Community Panel | Community
SS :foxmelee: | SS :foxmelee: | SS :foxmelee:
S :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :sheikmelee: | S :falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee: | S :falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee:
A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee: B :icsmelee::falconmelee: | A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee: | A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee:
C :pikachumelee::samusmelee: | B :samusmelee::pikachumelee: | B :pikachumelee::samusmelee:
D :drmario::yoshimelee::luigimelee: | C :luigimelee::yoshimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee: | C :luigimelee::yoshimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee:
E :ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::younglinkmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee: | D :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee: | D :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee:
F :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee::nessmelee: | E :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee: | E :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::nessmelee::zeldamelee:
G :pichumelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee: | F :pichumelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee: | F :pichumelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

Despite these differences in methodology, the lists are quite similar. What this means is that after fourteen years of experience with the game the community at large has a well-informed understanding of how characters operate in the metagame. Despite this the game has continually seen more techniques come into play over the past few years in the current era and an important part of understanding the metagame is understanding that there is still more to learn and discover. Will this be the last update to the Melee tier list? Likely not as the scene continues to grow and match-ups that once appeared set in stone have been shaken up. Top Tier characters and lower tiered characters alike have seen advancements and we are likely to see changed to our current understanding of the metagame in the future as strategies evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
A. "Xiivi" Brando Corsaro

Comments

You know what, it's official, I'm giving up on all hope for the competitive scene. What's the point to it when a tier list comes out and your character isn't doing well because of under-representation?

This goes for all competitive communities, because honestly, I give up on it all.

...so...
...You guys can have a really bad time...
...and get dunked on...
I'm just going to enjoy Smash as a game.

You know what, it's official, I'm giving up on all hope for the competitive scene. What's the point to it when a tier list comes out and your character isn't doing well because of under-representation?

This goes for all competitive communities, because honestly, I give up on it all.

...so...
...and get dunked on...
Lol you taking tier list too seriously man.

Just don't pay attention, it's a guideline that has been really wrong in the past. At this point it's pretty concrete though....aside from under repped characters, but they are all where they deserve to be pretty much (placings don't really matter, the tiers do)

Oh I don't know, because someone else might be curious how their character is doing or how the state of the competitive scene is?

If you're going to be a self-entitled loser, then go ahead and leave. We won't miss you.

Ice Climbers above Captain Falcon?

Zelda and Shiek should be separate. Because, right now, itś disappointing to see that a great character going to start not being used in tourneys often
what benefit other than longer recovery would you have by switching to zelda.....

...so...
...and get dunked on...
... What the hell is wrong with you?

Tier lists don't affect you. They're relevant to top players playing at the top level.

I'm one of the best players in my city, and even then I wouldn't say tiers affect me. I've had my fox beaten by ganons / dks, docs, etc.

Your post was really depressing to read, good riddance with that kind of attitude.

Last edited:
No way :ganondorfmelee: should be that low. I mean, he's not top tier, but he should at least be higher than :luigimelee:. (No disrespect meant to any Weeg mains out there).

Other than that, good tier list, m8.
:pichumelee: is slowly climbing the ranks. It'll be 20PP in no time.

Kirby is still last spot. Why isn't :bowsermelee: last. Kirby can combo the s*** out of him.
:bowsermelee: can actually be decent in teams if he has a top tier partner. Maybe that's why?

But I agree that in singles at least he should be the very lowest. Literally anybody can combo him for a fortnight.

Last edited:

...so...
...and get dunked on...
The point is to show you how viable a character is in competitive play. Your point on under representation is true. Say if I played as Chibi-Robo in SSF2, the equivalent of kirby in melee,(plus i actually think he's good and viable), and made Chibi-Robo head to the S-tier. That would give hope for other Chibi-Robo players out there to play as him (this isn't the case with kirby in melee, he just flat out sucks). Tiers should not affect you. They are like power levels in DBZ - useless (lol Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga [plz no hurt] ). Also, what are YOU, the player, doing to represent YOUR character in competitive play?

Last edited:
The point is to show you how viable a character is in competitive play. Your point on under representation is true. Say if I played as Chibi-Robo in SSF2, the equivalent of kirby in melee,(plus i actually think he's good and viable), and made Chibi-Robo head to the S-tier. That would give hope for other Chibi-Robo players out there to play as him (this isn't the case with kirby in melee, he just flat out sucks). Tiers should not affect you. They are like power levels in DBZ - useless (lol Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga [plz no hurt] ). Also, what are YOU, the player, doing to represent YOUR character in competitive play?
Ka....me.....ha......me.......

Nah fine I'll spare you

No way :ganondorfmelee: should be that low. I mean, he's not top tier, but he should at least be higher than :luigimelee:. (No disrespect meant to any Weeg mains out there).

Other than that, good tier list, m8.
:pichumelee: is slowly climbing the ranks. It'll be 20PP in no time.
20PP is or Pikachu

Pichu is not even worth wasting time on in Melee.

I understand the low tier because there really arnt that many top players bit srsly doc needs to be higher then he is

Last edited:
Peach is infinitely better than falcon.
I disagree, look at their matchup spreads among the top 8:

Peach loses to Marth, Fox, Falcon, and Sheik, and is unplayable vs. Jiggs. Her only even/winning matchups are Falco and IC's.

Falcon loses to Fox, Falco, and Sheik (debatable).
His even/winning matchups are Marth, Puff, Peach, and Ice Climbers.

I can get mostly behind this.
Except I agree with what 2 people were saying about Pichu being better than Mewtwo and that Fox and Falco should at least be in the same tier block.

Doc hasn't placed well the entire year and it's only top player switched to Sheik. Meanwhile Luigi is grtting a ton of results including a TBH top 8. Seriously how the hell is Doc over Luigi?!

This list is beautiful, I agree with almost everything. My prediction for the next tier list is that people will realise icies aren't as good as they thought and they will drop 1 tier

>Bowser not 26th in the game
>Mewtwo given much more credit than he's worth.
I don't know why the back room is still giving Doc credit over Yoshi and Luigi when he hasn't prevalent since the old school days
I used to think mewtwo was really really bad but then I played against raynex

Jigglypuff seems a bit low, but other than that, I don't really have that many complaints. Maybe Pichu is a bit low, and Zelda may be one above where I think she is, but it seems good. Well done.

Don't really think Fox is necessarily in another tier than Falco and Marth (Sheik being in the same one is debatable), but it's nice to finally have a new list.

Also, Pichu is still super underrated.

Pichu took 10 stocks off S2J at Smash Summit.
Any low tier can take 10 stocks off any respectable falcon. It means literally nothing, falcon is a terrible character that can be comboed in millions of ways by all the cast.

Pikachu exists in this game, therefore there is no reason to talk about Pichu. It's a waste of time.

Top Bottom