• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2015 Melee Tier List & Community Lists Released

Over the past few years top players have pushed the metagame for Melee to new heights. As new techniques have been discovered and old techniques have been perfected and applied more consistently; match-ups have been taken into new directions and the dominant characters have changed. Smashboards polled played ranked in the Top 40 of either the Smashboards or MeleeItOnMe rankings during 2015 and complied the data to create the next official update to the tier list for Super Smash Bros Melee. The previous release can be found here for reference.

Official 2015 Melee Tier List

SS
:foxmelee:
S :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :sheikmelee:

High
A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee:

B :icsmelee::falconmelee:
High Mid
C
:pikachumelee::samusmelee:
Mid
D
:drmario::yoshimelee::luigimelee:
Low Mid
E
:ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::younglinkmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee:
Low
F
:gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee::nessmelee:
Bottom
G:pichumelee:
:bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

The full details for the 2015 Melee Tier List can be found here. Statistics for the character placements and separations are available, with individual votes from the top players to be posted individually over time. Please note that this list is for NTSC. Earlier this year the third official PAL tier list was released on SmashEurope.

In addition, two other lists have been created as well. While the main tier list only features the votes and opinions of top level players, the other lists highlight a more broadened community opinion. The official tier list uses votes of twenty-four players ranked in the Top 40 of either the Smashboards or MeleeItOnMe rankings. The "Community Panel" list is less restrictive and utilizes the votes of sixty players who appeared ranked in the top thousand on the Smashboards rankings. This generally means they are at minimum tournament goers of a moderate skill level, but also includes high level talent not quite up to the Top 40. The final list is an all-inclusive "Community" list where lists from the community at large were accepted, regardless of tournament results or attendance. This means that viewers and theorists could have their opinions weighed in as well. This list features the votes of over one thousand smashers. The full release for the community lists can be found here thanks to the efforts of @Sveet.

Official | Community Panel | Community
SS :foxmelee: | SS :foxmelee: | SS :foxmelee:
S :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :sheikmelee: | S :falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee: | S :falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee:
A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee: B :icsmelee::falconmelee: | A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee: | A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee:
C :pikachumelee::samusmelee: | B :samusmelee::pikachumelee: | B :pikachumelee::samusmelee:
D :drmario::yoshimelee::luigimelee: | C :luigimelee::yoshimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee: | C :luigimelee::yoshimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee:
E :ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::younglinkmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee: | D :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee: | D :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee:
F :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee::nessmelee: | E :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee: | E :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::nessmelee::zeldamelee:
G :pichumelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee: | F :pichumelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee: | F :pichumelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

Despite these differences in methodology, the lists are quite similar. What this means is that after fourteen years of experience with the game the community at large has a well-informed understanding of how characters operate in the metagame. Despite this the game has continually seen more techniques come into play over the past few years in the current era and an important part of understanding the metagame is understanding that there is still more to learn and discover. Will this be the last update to the Melee tier list? Likely not as the scene continues to grow and match-ups that once appeared set in stone have been shaken up. Top Tier characters and lower tiered characters alike have seen advancements and we are likely to see changed to our current understanding of the metagame in the future as strategies evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
A. "Xiivi" Brando Corsaro

Comments

I trust in Doc. Despite him not having any quality representatives in the Melee community, the characters limitations only hold him as far back as C tier IMO.
trust me, I'm a Doctor... Mario

The only disagreement I have with the tier list is that Pichu should be swapped with Ness. Other than that, I can generally agree with the list. Good job!

DK being over link is laughable honestly.

and the tier distribution itself is pretty bad. in no way is fox is in his own tier over falco.. luigi does not by any means belong that low. and doc should not be that high. luigi-doc-yoshi.

all in all pretty awful list in a lot of ways. definitely should be re-done.

Last edited:
Oh Melee Marth, You shall be missed. But Math being on the same tier as Falco doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited:
Pichu might even be E tier. Then again he has no results so meh
He doesn't but then again neither do any of the other F/G tiers. Pichus at least got a recovery and a cool chaingrab. I'd put him as high as right below G&W but that might be because of my bias of how awful I think Roy and Mewtwo are.

He doesn't but then again neither do any of the other F/G tiers. Pichus at least got a recovery and a cool chaingrab. I'd put him as high as right below G&W but that might be because of my bias of how awful I think Roy and Mewtwo are.
Pichu has A LOT more going for him than Roy and Mewtwo. He has an approach, he has speed, he has a chaingrab, he has kill setups.

D
Yoshi rose six spots? Yes! Go Yoshi! :yoshimelee:

So glad aMSa opened people's eyes as to how much potential he has. Hope more peeps pick him up in the future despite his high learning curve.

:icsmelee: are also one spot above :falconmelee: now. Sweet!

Then again, Pichu has no results, so e
I'd agree with you. Love watching Taj's Mewtwo tho. Mewtwo's p decent vs spacies on FD tho

Last edited:
Shouldn't we be focusing more on changing the matchup chart? I feel it's more important about what is widely known about my characters head to head chances against certain characters, rather than where they placed on a tier list.

Shouldn't we be focusing more on changing the matchup chart? I feel it's more important about what is widely known about my characters head to head chances against certain characters, rather than where they placed on a tier list.
Yeah, I think since more people play good characters since they're good, tier lists are a bit unbiased. The only tier list based on matchups that's unbiased is PM.

Kind of surprised to see Falcon below Icies and Pichu below Zelda, but other than that I agree with most of the list.

And I agree that Fox should be in his own tier. He is clearly the best character in the game by far.

Last edited:
Why is Ness under Mewtwo and Zelda? Jeez, just cause he doesn't have big tourney representation doesn't mean he's that bad. In my opinion he should be above Mewtwo and Roy and Zelda

Last edited:
Why is Ness under Mewtwo and Zelda? Jeez, just cause he doesn't have big tourney representation doesn't mean he's that bad. In my opinion he should be above Mewtwo and Roy and Zelda
same, but that's because people can do more those characters with half the effort. I think if Ness is pushed to his limits he'd be below G&W

Yoooo Fox getting his own tier? Dang, guess we reached Brawl MK op levels now :p

I'm no Melee player, but I'm still fascinated by the results.

Falco should by no means be above Marth, and Peach should never be above Falcon on any list
Peach is infinitely better than falcon.

I agree with marth > falco though. Falco is not as unstopable as he used to be. We deal with lasers REALLY WELL now.

Ice Climbers above Captain Falcon?

Zelda and Shiek should be separate. Because, right now, itś disappointing to see that a great character going to start not being used in tourneys often

I can honestly only make 2 changes to this, Marth>Falco and Luigi>Doc>Yoshi. MAYBE.. and I mean MAYBE Pikachu>Falcon.

I'm fine with this, w/e.

lol at the Pichu talk....give it a rest. If he's not playing a noob FFer you're not going to get a legit win. 50 shades of Pichu.

Here's the only big thing wrong with this list.
DK > Link

...so you're telling me a character with slower frame data, a large body, that is basically combo food for everyone, is better than a character who can literally send him to kingdom come?

This is Smash Bros. Professional Tier Lists at its finest, folks.
...and why is Mario in Low Mid?

Tiers R 4 Quiers...

Ice Climbers above Captain Falcon?
Ice Climbers have had much better results than Captain Falcon. Always have. Not a single Falcon made a top 8 at a major this year except for Gahtzu at Super Smash Con, where he got 7th.

Zelda and Shiek should be separate. Because, right now, itś disappointing to see that a great character going to start not being used in tourneys often
What does that even mean? They are separated on the tier list. And do you mean that Sheik is gonna start not getting used in tourneys? People have been dropping their old mains and picking up Sheik. Sheik is doing just fine and always will. Or were you talking about Zelda? Because Zelda is a horrible character so it makes what you said make even less sense.

Top Bottom