• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ODU Vs. CNU Vs. W&M Crew Battle $MM! 10/19/07

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
OHHH SHYYYYT GET ***** SON!!!

So it's been decided that SoVa is no good when it comes to playing in tourneys, despite promises of pancakes, lasagna, and man-mound love ;___;

Luckily, that doesn't affect our love for crew battles [Draft or otherwise]

It all started late August when a lone CNU smasher was looking for some competition...what he inadvertently ended up causing was this:

This calls for epic CNU vs ODU crew battle. >=)
And since he's managed to convince a group of somewhat-right-minded individuals to join a crew as ridiculous sounding as "Head Rapers" [SQUIRTLE SQUAD, SON!], what he says pretty much goes.

As the hype and trash-talk started to reach a fraction of the likes seen in NoVa, and after some debate, teams were finally decided, as was a date. And finally, another school decided to join in.

So here's the final result:

ODU PRESENTZ: THE FIRST ANNUAL SOVA INTERCOLLEGIATE CREW BATTLE!
[aka: "TCC doesn't exist"]

Location: PM me for the exact address [EDIT! SEE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR DRIVING/PARKING DIRECTIONS] Just know that it is a block away from ODU's Webb Center. NO FOOD OR DRINK! If you want food or whatever, all kinds of stuff down Hampton Blvd. [meaning the street numbers go down] but mostly behind the Ted Constant Convocation Center on Monarch Way. And most importantly: WE NEED CHAIRS AND SETUPS!!! We have room for at LEAST 5 setups [for friendlies before/after the crew battle]. But we really do need chairs...there isn't much to work with =/

Date: Friday October 19th. Everyone should come early for friendlies [I'll find out what the "earliest time" is asap] but crews will start at 7 PM. They will only start earlier if all the participants are present and willing to start earlier. This should accommodate for...everyone who isn't already at ODU hahaha [tunnel traffic is pretty unfortunate, as is 64 E from W&M]

Fees:
NO VENUE FEE
$10 entry per person. [CNU's A-team will each pay $12, per discussed agreement...which is apparently a very good point]

Pot split: WINNER TAKES ALL.

Rules: We all know the basic 1v1 rules and the standard format for a crew battle.
Things that may not be common knowledge:

-the character choice of each member must be written down and submitted by each team captain prior to start of any of the night's matches. This also means that if the crew who is not playing sees the current battle and wants to change their character choices, they may NOT do so. The only other thing that will be determined with no prior knowledge of the other teams' choices will be which person they send in first.
If anyone chooses to use different characters for each crew battle, that must also be noted beforehand.

-The O-NO Crew Battle Rule is NOT in effect. This means that you MAY have more than one of the same character in a crew if you wish [like 2 Foxes or...5 Sheiks >.<].

-Random Select is limited to Final Destination, Dreamland 64, and Pokemon Stadium.

-If the incoming player decides he wants to choose a stage, he may choose any non-banned stage typical of 1v1 tourneys [except Schoolie's! NO PEACH'S CASTLE!]...HOWEVER! If someone chooses a stage, the other player is allowed to change their character, if they wish. It should also be noted that if they win with that different character, they MUST resume using the character they originally started with.

PARTICIPANTS! [all teams have 30 stocks EVENLY DISTRIBUTED among all members]

OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY [5 stocks each]
Ether
The |Egg| Sniper
toasty
mid-tier
BLKG
ndn

ODU ALT-TEAM [5 stocks each]
Gum
Zion
V aka "Shab"
Caboose
KingOfTheRoad
Billy

CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT UNIVERSITY [6 stocks each]
Cow
Schoolie Dee
FATS
Xlax
Adwillia

CNU ALT-TEAM [6 stocks each]
Captain-Juan (LA LLUVIA DE COLOMBIA!)
SpeedYoshi
Poehlcat
Evil
Thor

THE COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY [6 stocks each] [playing against Alt-teams]
Josh (Knightpraetor)
Alex (ajphctp46)
Samrin (opiumfish13)
Kyle
David

So BRING YO ***! And bring your friends! Not only will there be friendlies but there's no good crew battle is complete without an audience cheering their team and trashing the others!!!

EDIT!!! Well, if Cow or Schoolie can provide the direct video capture, then I can supply the audio, I just found my camera ^_^!!!!

That about covers it. Please remind me of anything I may have forgotten.

DIRECTIONS & PARKING!!!!
Parking note: If you arrive after 4PM it's free...but more on parking later.

I'm not as cool as Schoolie, so with my less-than-amazing ODU-comp-lab computer, I can't get the picture since it's using Adobe Flash and I'd rather not bother with whatever hax-method that you comp-savvy individuals use

http://www.odu.edu/oduhome/campusmap.shtml

Address: 1328 Melrose Pkwy, Norfolk, VA 23508 [don't use mapquest/google due to a couple small ambiguities, and these will lead you to parking locations]

From I-64 E [most people will be coming from here. You will end up coming down Hampton Blvd. from the top of the campus map picture]
About 6 miles after the tunnel, you will see an exit for Granby St./Terminal Blvd...take that exit, but stay to the right as it will almost immediately fork.
You want to go toward Terminal Blvd, which then puts you on a tiny stretch of highway [STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE] and then an actual exit for Terminal Blvd.
Stay on Terminal for a while until you see a MAJOR intersection [think there's like 4 or 5 lights before this happens]
Turn left onto Hampton Blvd. and drive a couple[?] miles, you'll go on a bridge and then pass 5 lights I think. Just stay in your right lane [and WATCH YOUR SPEED on the bridge coming down!!!! INSANE speed trap that takes advantage of physics and human nature]

Turn right on 49th St. [if you're coming from 264/Midtown Tunnel, you will be turning left...but your online directions don't have any ambiguities...and I spent wayyy too much time with detail on these other directions haha, so look it up yourself XD]
you will see two parking lots on your immediate right and one on your left after you pass Webb Center and Deihn Fine Arts [the last of the buildings on your left]. They're all marked Faculty/Staff but after 4PM on Fridays only, it's free to anyone so long as you don't park in Handicapped/Metered/Timed parking areas [which really means: you won't get a ticket unless you're really f*cking stupid....or if you park on the street ;__;].
Quarantine Rd. ends at 49th St. in between Webb Center and Deihn Fine Arts.
Walk down Quarantine to the next intersection, Melrose Pkwy. The house is on the opposite/right corner of the intersection. The house number is only visible as spray paint on a giant tree in the yard.
So yeah, just come in, follow the rules, and prepare for the most epic (Read: Hyped) **** SoVa's seen in far too long.

jhoxn

Smash Cadet
Wow! This sounds exciting! I can't wait!

Question though: Are the B-teams also going to be part of this?

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
I would assume B-teams are involved, ODU has plenty of players to make that a possibility.

... and it has its own thread :D :D :D :D :D

GET *****, SON!

jhoxn

Smash Cadet
Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, could we put down the B-team names too for all the schools?

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
First a quick question, then the WM Update: We have to list only one character before the battle to use, and we can only switch if they counter-pick a specific stage (even if it's, say, FD)? Or do we have to submit a list of all the characters we'll play? I'm assuming it's the first.

WM Tentative Crew List (I'll get back to you on this thread):
Josh (Knightpraetor)
Alex (ajphctp46)
Samrin (opiumfish13)
Kyle
David

Also, if there's a B crew and our trainees are interested, then we might bring them too.

Josh will probably be captain, but I will if he doesn't want to do it.

Also, we don't really have smash names. We're lame like that.

EDIT: Doesn't Cow have laptop video capture?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Question though: Are the B-teams also going to be part of this?
Well...ODU DOES have a lot of other players...and now that I think about it, I'm actually rather certain we could get together a 5 or 6 man "B-Team"...whether it's for money or not will remain to be seen...I'll get back to you on the B-Team issue and let me know if you guys are interested in putting money to this [any amount is fine] or if you just want a friendly. I don't see these guys minding too much :) Let me know how many guys you have as well...

I would assume B-teams are involved, ODU has plenty of players to make that a possibility.

... and it has its own thread :D :D :D :D :D

GET *****, SON!
**** you.

We have to list only one character before the battle to use, and we can only switch if they counter-pick a specific stage (even if it's, say, FD)?
Correct, correct, and yes. Just submit a list with all of your players' character choices as well as your pick for first-up beforehand and the other teams will do the same with no knowledge of who the other teams are using. FYI: you don't have to do this as soon as you get there...like, you can play some friendlies and change your mind or something if like "oh man my hands just aren't responsive enough today to use Fox" or whatever...ideally speaking, no Johns but it's SoVa, we don't really care about that :) No crew matches will start until all lists have been received. Oh and if this wasn't obvious, after lists are submitted, anyone is allowed to look at them.
OH and yes, Cow DOES have a capture device. Ideally though: we want a video camera or video function on a digital camera of some sort. Crew battle vids are ALL about the crowd, son =D
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8A085FEDAD0B159E

@Kits: rofl lies. you'll be our fly-girl ^_~ .........*pictures Jason in Britney Spears-esque school girl attire.............vomits.* nvmd ><

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Solution!

Ideally though: we want a video camera or video function on a digital camera of some sort. Crew battle vids are ALL about the crowd, son =D
Eeeeexactly, Cow can record the matches directly onto his computer, then we could set up someone's camera for a live feed, so the picture is perfect, and 100% of the crowd is recorded too. ;)

edit:

... no peach's castle... :(

Dr. Science

Smash Apprentice
upset that you didn't invite us at HU (hampton university) to play as well... I can't vouge for the general skill level of the people here however... as I've only played a couple of newbie freshmen here...

me saying this as a freshman myself ofcourse...but not being as newbish as those I play agianst...

does that make me cocky? :urg:

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
upset that you didn't invite us at HU (hampton university) to play as well...
It's an open event. The only concern a prospective group of entrants should have would be the possibility of getting ***** in front of 40+ people all watching your team's match :p

But yeah man, bring anyone, but more importantly, TRAIGA LA LLUVEA!

toasty

Smash Hero
oh man, didn't even know :( hah if you guys want to join in, then let's do this ****!!! don't let Schoolie get away with that kinda trash, he's garbage as it is ;) but for real, if you guys wanna join in, gimme 5-6 names and follow the guidelines I've given and everyone'll be good!!!

BTW! B TEAMS! If you guys are serious, please give me your names and whether you are going to play for money or not. Also, I'm going to say that winner takes all! Any objections??? Thought so. =D
will update W&M list momentarily...playing smash right now ^_^

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
BTW! B TEAMS! If you guys are serious, please give me your names and whether you are going to play for money or not. Also, I'm going to say that winner takes all! Any objections??? Thought so. =D
will update W&M list momentarily...playing smash right now ^_^
I'd definitely be willing to play for money. CNU > all

jhoxn

Smash Cadet
I go under the name EVIL, and I don't mind playing for money. I just need to get some out of the bank. ^_^

Oh, and CNU = Teh Roxxorz

Mjolnir

Smash Cadet
put me in that $MM, Thor, CNU's B-team. Also it should be noted......

TRAIGA LA LLUVIA!!!!!

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Toasty, paste this into the thread's header:

CNU B-Team:

Captain-Juan (LA LLUVIA DE COLOMBIA!)
-SpeedYoshi
-Poehlcat
-Evil
-Thor

That should take care of CNU's registration for this janky jank.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I find it funny how A team is all so close in skill level, then B team is so close too with my trainees at their level... CNU is too good at smash

starting line up needs to play alot more guys, ADWILLIA get at me man... after break you are stepping it up and making it out to these sessions

Ether

Smash Ace
What have I done.

Anywho, we should get UVA in this mess somehow. Someone there said they could beat me badly. ODU crushing UVA would make my day.

Also, my 21st birthday is the 13th, so I think if ODU wins, everyone else should pitch in a dollar to buy cupcakes/brownies for everyone. Just a thought. =/

edit - I also think the winner of all of this should go face Virginia Tech.

College smash. This **** should be televised.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
i doubt any of fats' members care enough to show up? so its probably just you guys

at any rate.. uva is one thing, but we definitely can't touch tech.

toasty

Smash Hero
ETHER YOU ARE BANNED FROM SPEAKING! Otherwise I'll shout "YOU FELL FOR IT!" to break your concentration, thus causing your only losses of stocks during these matches =D
Also, I'll buy you a birthday cake...which will be poisoned, but you won't know that, and then I'LL EAT IT right in front of you, that way when I die from said poison, you will bare the burden of my death until your beyond-timely and extremely distant death. [edit: when I rant, apparently I don't believe in proper punctuation...then again, I DO go to ODU ;__;]

Back on topic:
ODU'S B-TEAM IS READY SON!!! How much money are we talking here? what are you guys willing to agree to, they'll put up whatever you say, so don't be shy =D

Also, no one responded [ack, I hope I said something about it before this gets embarrassing] but I need to know...winner should take all, correct? [For both A and B Team battles?] If no one says otherwise soon I'll just have that be the way it is =D

PLEASE REMEMBER: we desperately need chairs, a couple setups [TVs included], power strips, and if anyone has milk crates or anything of the like, we could use some to stack and make a TV stand
Thank you.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
<---Caboose

PLEASE REMEMBER: we desperately need chairs, a couple setups [TVs included], power strips, and if anyone has milk crates or anything of the like, we could use some to stack and make a TV stand
Thank you.

can't repeat this enough. my house has two tv's, one setup, six chairs, one table, and one couch for 30+ people. if you guys dont step it up we'll be in trouble.

Edit: as for parking, apparently all ODU parking is free after 4 pm? can someone confirm this who drives? if that's true, there's a lot in the webb center that's right next to the house.

also, since its Ether's 21st birthday, screw cupcakes, everyone's buying liquor :p

toasty

Smash Hero
pika can't upB cancel? why not?

...sadness...
hmm...I don't know if you know what I'm talking about...if you don't know what Doc's upB cancel is, it looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsXaOwfIBxU
this hitbox happens, like...the pop? and so you can do that out of shield, and it already has ridiculous priority and stun, so you can combo with it...but wow is it difficult to do...my man ELI up in New York is just too good o_O

adwillia

Smash Apprentice
21st birthday huh? smash and get smashed?

colin....let me know when these ****s are going on, i'm always in the dark about them and i have absolutely nothing to do in between drinking, sleeping, drinking and skipping class.

toasty

Smash Hero
yo toasty, what about me man? harsh times dude :p
in all honesty, I've played against all of them a lot more [on non-laggy TVs hahaha] than I have against you...we didn't even think about it, they asked for a B-Team so we thought about it and that's what came up man...however, if you'd like: you can challenge someone for their spot in a best of 3 SETS. or one 3outof5 set...however you wanna do it :)

Top Bottom