• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

October 22nd, Brighton, Arcade (not) Disco featuring Melee

FL Behemoth

Smash Rookie

October 22nd
Green Door Store
Brighton
10am - 5pm

We are proud to say that Super Smash Bros Melee will be featured in the line up of tournament games at Arcade (not) Disco. Both Koroviev and Myself feel that this game has huge potential as a competitive fighter.

Arcade (not) Disco is a celebration of games culture, with tournaments, documentaries, art and all kinds of games related activity going on throughout the day. Come along and experience the atmosphere of a new type of games event.

The Melee tournament exhibits a new format that integrates different styles to create the most competitive and dynamic tournament experience.

Venue

Green Door Store is easily accessible and is less than a minute walk from the station. The open bar at the event means that you will need to be over 18 to attend. Bring I.D.

Show on google maps

Travel
Advanced train tickets from London to Brighton start at £2.45 when booked from Southern Rail.

Schedule
10:00 - Registration Opens
11:00 - Registration Closes
11:00 - Swiss Round Begins
13:30 - Lunch Break
14:30 - Top 16 Bracket Begins
16:00 - Top 8 Begins

Timings will be made very clear, and will be strictly enforced. If players do not adhere to these timings then they WILL be disqualified.
If there are any disputes, the TO's opinion is final

Tournament style

The tournament begins with a 3 round Swiss style tournament to determine seeding.
Swiss means your first game will be selectively randomised (e.g Professor Pro vs Fuzzyness cannot happen R1 of the Swiss) after which you will be playing someone with a similar win/loss ratio to yourself - exact matches to be decided on point scores.
All games in the Swiss will be Bo3
Points for the Swiss will be as follows:
1 point for winning a game, -1 point for losing a game, 1 point for a win.
e.g. a 2-0 win = 3 points, a 1-2 loss = -1 point

The top 16 will progress through to a 16 man double elimination bracket, with seedings determined by their point score in the Swiss (There may be some Bo1 play-offs to decide final seedings)
Games will be Bo3 until Losers Semi-Final. This match and all subsequent matches will be Bo5.

General Rules

Time limit - 8 mins
Items off

Neutral stages:
Dreamland
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

Stage selection:
First stage will be chosen by stage striking
Each player is allowed 1 stage ban in the set but NOT before stage striking occurs
Advanced slob picking (Loser chooses next stage, winner choses character, loser chooses character)
Daves Stupid Rule (No picking the last stage you won on)

More updates to come, sit tight​

Global Gaming

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, but considering you have less than a month to promote this, you should pretty much get the info out ASAP such as rules, fees, venue etc. so that people can actually consider coming to this.

I'm actually quite down for coming to Brighton though :p

- Willz

J03

Smash Master
These are what most melee players have come to expect.

Pools, double elim bracket, counterpicking/stage-striking

Prize pool split 1st 60%, 2nd, 30%, 3rd 10%.

Stages: Yoshis story, Battlefield, Final D, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64.

Basically you are, at current, not offering enough information for any established smasher to consider this a viable event

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
These are what most melee players have come to expect.

Pools, double elim bracket, counterpicking/stage-striking

Prize pool split 1st 60%, 2nd, 30%, 3rd 10%.

Stages: Yoshis story, Battlefield, Final D, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64.

Basically you are, at current, not offering enough information for any established smasher to consider this a viable event
This.

And don't forget Pokemon Stadium as a counterpick.

I am interested in this but definitely need a lot more information about what's going on.

Koroviev

Smash Cadet
Right now all I can is that I have a contact, a good friend of mine, who is part of your community. He's from London and will be coming down to run this part of the event. He's very reliable and well organised, you'll be in good hands and he's up to date with rules and formats.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Right now all I can is that I have a contact, a good friend of mine, who is part of your community. He's from London and will be coming down to run this part of the event. He's very reliable and well organised, you'll be in good hands and he's up to date with rules and formats.
Who is he? And shouldn't he be posting on here then?

Koroviev

Smash Cadet
Sorry that I am unable to divulge all the information you need at this moment. The event is still being planned and side events being put into place. The information is coming soon, fear not!

check out fightlab.co.uk to see more info on the organisers, you might be able to figure out who will be running smash from there.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
It's obvious Robby and Sam lol.

If its not I will honestly be surprised.

AmcD

Smash Ace
I would go to this but travelling all the way from Liverpool to Brighton I don't think I would get there in time and Ben is suppose to be holding a fest the same weekend. I suppose if he was to go to this and have the fest then it is feasible.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
do the sign ups really begin today, I would love to see like the list of players actually going/thinking about going....

Koroviev

Smash Cadet
I wanna gooo
Gonna have to get some money for this cuz going to Brighton aint gonna be cheap

Owait nvm you have to 18 to attend... Lol nvm then

Ageist *******s

:phone:
There will be future events without the alcohol and age restriction. Very much hope you come down at some point.

Koroviev

Smash Cadet
The event is being advertised on Capcom's Europe blog. Hopefully you guys are prepared to show support in the form attendance. We want Melee to be recognised for what it is!

Plus I know there are a lot of sneaky bedroom smashers here in Brighton, show them what they've got to aim for!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I would sign up but I don't have the money on a bank card, if someone is willing to pay for me I will pay them back.

Also if 24 people don't end up going, does that mean that there will be no melee and the money gets returned?

Koroviev

Smash Cadet
I would sign up but I don't have the money on a bank card, if someone is willing to pay for me I will pay them back.

Also if 24 people don't end up going, does that mean that there will be no melee and the money gets returned?
Refunds will be given in the instance of event cancellation.

I don't believe this will be necessary though as we should get enough people to run some kind of smash bros event.

FL Behemoth

Smash Rookie
The website is down atm

Also do you have to register beforehand or can you just turn up?
The website should be back up now.

You may turn up on the day but you get discount for booking online.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
The system doesn't seem to accept any of my mates' cards, is everyone else having the same problem?

Koroviev

Smash Cadet
I very much hope that we will get 24 people. I think it's quite likely considering the area. I know of a lot of sneaky bedroom smashers in Brighton, or people that only play with their friends. Behemoth and I have put a lot of effort into advertising it as well so we can only hope!

Short answer: yes, prize pot is something we have committed to put out regardless of attendance.

Top Bottom