• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nyko Wii Charge Packs are Compatible with Wavebirds (Video Evidence Included)

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So, I did research online and went to specialty game shops here in Seattle to see if anyone knew this, and apparently it either isn't known or isn't widely enough known for people online to notice, but... well, check it out.

Turns out that not only the Wii remote can be powered by Nyko charge packs. Wavebirds and Game Boy Advances can also use the packs as-is, no mods necessary. Start saving money, Smashers. And, you're welcome. ^_^

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wired gamecube controllers don't require batteries.

TL?

Smash Ace
I can't believe these rechargeable double A batteries work with devices that take double A batteries.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, smartasses, battery packs like Nyko's are usually proprietary, meaning that there are little plastic pieces or nubs added just to make sure they only work with one device; why sell one battery pack that works with three things when you can sell 3 battery packs that are essentially the same that work on 1 thing each? Basic business practices. Nintendo just so happened to make that impossible here. As you can plainly see in the video, Nyko's charge packs are not just rechargeable AA's; there is plastic molding around them to make sure they only fit in Wii remotes, so that Nyko can sell OTHER battery packs, which they do.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
No problem! ^_^ I was pretty stoked when I realized what I had found out, and couldn't wait to share it. I know a lot of Smashers use wired for tourney (because of supposed "lag", otherwise known as "controller johns"), but plenty of people still have Wavebirds for general use. This is a huge help to those people, especially.

Top Bottom