• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NU to OU: The Next Chapter

mood4food77

Smash Hero
no, it just "switches" the speed

basically, if two pokes use priority moves, the slower poke goes first instead

Moozle

Smash Champion
I was just thinking of making a pokémon who can really abuse trick room well because all of the priority moves running around (stupid sharpedo) annoy me. I would love absol to become a crazy good priority abuser so that this trick room pokémon would have even more use.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
no, it just makes slower pokemon go first

so like if absol used sucker punch and sheddy used sucker punch, sheddy would go first in trick room

Moozle

Smash Champion
But what if absol uses sucker punch and aggron uses earthquake? Does Aggron go first? That's what I meant in the first place lol.

ss118

Smash Master
Trick Room just reverses the order of who goes first and second(and third and fourth) for pokemon in the same speed tier.

Ursaring with Trick Room: get *****.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I was thinking that if Hariyama was given a few buffs and trick room, he would probably be at the top of OU. Something like this...

144 / 125 / 80 / 40 / 80 / 10

Hariyama already has an amazing move pool, and awesome bulk with thick fat and 144 base hp. A trick room set would be epic. It's a good way of dealing with all of the annoying priority users in this meta game, too :D

Hariyama@Life Orb
Adamant / Guts (or thick fat for bulk)
252 Hp / 252 Attack / 4 Def
~Trick Room
~Close Combat / Force Palm
~Payback
~Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Stone Edge

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think lengthening the time Trick Room stays on the field through an item or something would be better than giving something auto-Trick Room. Keep in mind we can't edit or make abilities and stuff yet.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
How about items?
I think lengthening the time Trick Room stays on the field through an item or something would be better than giving something auto-Trick Room. Keep in mind we can't edit or make abilities and stuff yet.
Are random posts just completely dismissed nowadays, or am I missing something to Wave's question?

Moozle

Smash Champion
I know they can't make completely new items, but I think since damp/heat rock already exist, making one that affects TR might be possible. I know items can be edited to some point, like how the light ball works with Pikachu.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Turn the SS and Hail rocks into Gravity and Trick Room. I'm pretty sure no one uses those ones anyway.

That's if it's possible of course.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
if you can do that, it would be amazing

and change a useless item into a tailwind booster

Moozle

Smash Champion
That would be awesome. I love trick room and gravity.

How do you guys think my new Hariyama would do in our metagame?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
That would be awesome. I love trick room and gravity.

How do you guys think my new Hariyama would do in our metagame?
I always wanted to use Gravity (I've used Trick Room plenty of times, and love it enough as-is), but all my ideas for it seem hard to abuse in only a meager 5 turns. I'd love to try out Gravity stall for instance, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to get enough turns for it to be usable without an auto-setup. 8 turns MIGHT be good enough though...hopefully.

What's your Hariyama set?

Moozle

Smash Champion
It's not really a specific set, it's just the idea of giving Hariyama trick room and these stats.

144 / 125 / 80 / 40 / 80 / 10

I think it could do some real damage with an 8 turn opportunity for trick room. Who knows, the length might even be able to be changed for something like gravity to more than 8 turns.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The problem with Trick Room is the pokemon themselves. Even with 8turns most slow pokemon cant set up and sweep simply due to the lack of turns they have so you end up having to rely solely on the stats of the pokemon you use. Hariyama is good, but he's never making it past most physical walls anyways. At least with Rain you get a STAB boost to make up for your inability to set up.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I guess this is just an example of one pokemon, but Hariyama has a great support move pool with knock off, whirlwind, and others. Trick room doesn't just have to help offensive pokemon; it can be great for support and status-spreading ones too. I think it'd be awesome to design a whole bunch of TR and gravity pokemon to make the effect even more useful and difficult to prevent against.

I love gimmicks way too much

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
The problem with Trick Room is the pokemon themselves. Even with 8turns most slow pokemon cant set up and sweep simply due to the lack of turns they have so you end up having to rely solely on the stats of the pokemon you use. Hariyama is good, but he's never making it past most physical walls anyways. At least with Rain you get a STAB boost to make up for your inability to set up.
Marowak OHKOs standard Spiker Skarmory with Fire Punch after an SD most of the time; 100% with SR.

I'm pretty sure the only physical wall that can actually manage to live through Marowak after an SD when SR is up is Hippowdon, and it barely does so (EQ maxes at 99.3%). I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

You also have a lot of other slow SD, BU, Curse, CM, and even a couple NP users that can be rather dangerous after a boost. A couple can even utilize priority. And most of these are pretty bulky to boot. I'd say it has potential, at the least.

EDIT: Sharpedo is probably the biggest threat to them thanks to Fake Out and all its other priority (which hits most for 2x, between Ice Shard and Aqua Jet), but an SD / BU Breloom could possibly solve this. Possibly.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
now, why use TR just so marowak can sweep while infernape can do the same thing but better

after 1 NP, infernape OHKOs pretty much any sort of wall in the game, and doesn't rely on trick room to do so

maybe TR is just ouclassed, it relies on two extra turns of set-up for slow pokemon to be useful

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I know they can't make completely new items, but I think since damp/heat rock already exist, making one that affects TR might be possible. I know items can be edited to some point, like how the light ball works with Pikachu.
Yeah if you gave me a few weeks I could probably pull this off.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
So a TR/Gravity/Tailwind Rock is impossible.

However, after looking through some items, we COULD do a "Freeze Orb", "Shock Orb", "Poison Orb" (non-increasing), "Drowsy Orb", and the incredibly broken "Normality Orb"

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
oh boy.

also quick comments:
1: gravity needs a legit abuser
2: so does trick room
3: marowak could do both if he were more bulky and maybe had a little tiny bit of extra attack
4: ???
5: profit!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Marowak already reaches ones of the highest non-move boosted attack stats in the game.

Why would he need more attack.

Also Maro is a LITTLE faster now so... lol yeah.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
With Gravity and Trick Room, Marowak can use Swords Dance instead of Rock Polish and basically kill everything. Extra attack... nah.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Except it goes from until-you-die turns to "until TR wears off" turns of sweeping.

Which is probly shorter >.>

mood4food77

Smash Hero
what if we made donphan part dark type?

you know so that assurance is stronger and can pretty much OHKO the anti-spinners

meaning like, he's the anti-anti-spinner

Top Bottom