• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NU Smashfest 2 (OP Updated! Please read!)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Sorry for the hiatus in November and December, but homework johns ensued. Anyways, we're off to kick off the year with a tournament for those of us who can't go to APEX! Just to be clear, we HAVE NOT decided on a room for the tournament yet, but given that Northwestern has plenty of lecture halls, we will definitely find a suitable room by the 7th.

If possible, please bring setups; the more setups we have, the more efficiently the tournament can run and the more time there will be for friendlies!

1/4/12 EDIT: We have a room! Check out the "Venue" section!

1/5/12 EDIT: SINGLES HAS BEEN BUMPED UP TO 4:00.

*Venue*

Fisk 309
1845 Sheridan Rd
Evanston, IL 60208

Fisk is the upside-down T-shaped building that's outlined in white in the center of the map. The room can be found on the third floor across the hall and to the left from the auditorium balcony. The map above can be misleading because Fisk is connected the building directly north of it (Locy) and the building doesn't actually say "Fisk" on the exterior of the front entrance. Free parking can be found in the green areas.

Food can be found either in the student center to the north (although the average price is roughly $9-$10 per dish) or some fast food chains to the south such as Burger King, Chipotle, Taco Bell, Panera Bread, and more.

*Transportation*

By train: Take the Red Line to Howard, then transfer to the Purple Line. Get off the Purple Line at Foster; the venue is roughly a 15 minute walk from the stop.

By car: Get on I-94 and take the exits onto either Skokie to the north or Dempster to the south. NU is within a 10-15 min drive from either exit.

*Schedule*

12 PM - 1 PM : Free Play & Registration
1 PM - 4 PM : Doubles*
3:45 PM : Singles Registration Ends
4 PM - 6 PM : Singles Pools
6 PM - 7 PM : Dinner Break
7 PM - 11 PM : Singles Bracket

*Doubles may be substituted with another event depending on interest.

*Prices and Payouts*

There WILL be an entry fee and payouts at this tournament. There will be NO venue fee, but this may change in later events if people don't bring setups.

Venue fee: $0
Doubles: $5/team
Singles: $5/person

Payouts: 60%/30%/10%

*Ruleset*

* Games will be 4 stock with an 8 minute timer.
* All sets will be best of 3 except for Winners/Losers Semis and Winners/Losers/Grand Finals, which are best of 5.
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the match will be replayed.
* Each player/team takes turns striking a stage from the Neutral stages listed below in a 1-2-1 fashion until there is only 1 left. The first game will be played on the remaining stage.
* After their first win, that player may choose to ban a stage for the entirety of the set.
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* A player may not counterpick to the last stage they have won on. (Modified Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* Wobbling is banned

SINGLES

Neutrals
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks
Pokemon Stadium

DOUBLES

Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

*Note that any stage may be played on given that both parties agree on the selection. If you disagree with the counterpick stages, keep this in mind.*

*TO Contact Info*

Brian, aka metroid - 847-800-1029

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, what event(s) do you want to see if there's not enough interest for doubles? Also, do you guys want Winner/Loser Semis to be Bo5 or Bo3?

MOJoe

Smash Cadet
I think they should be Bo5, but I'm new to competitive smash, so I don't know if you should listen. Plus, I probably won't be able to go.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Bo5 Winner and Loser Semi's it is then.

Out of curiosity, how do people feel about the counterpick stages (i.e. only Pokemon Stadium)? I'm not planning on changing it, but I know that its more conservative than most rule sets people are using.

ORLY

Smash Master
bo5 winner and loser semi's it is then.

Out of curiosity, how do people feel about the counterpick stages (i.e. Only pokemon stadium)? I'm not planning on changing it, but i know that its more conservative than most rule sets [chris] is using.
brinstar baby

Karibola

Smash Apprentice
I hate the no stage bans for Bo5 sets. And jungles japes doubles, where the hell did that come from.

Also MKII

metroid1117

Smash Master
brinstar baby
I've personally never liked Brinstar (although that's mostly because I haven't played on it much) and it's not on the MBR ruleset. What reasons are there to add it besides that it's not exactly spacie-friendly?

I hate the no stage bans for Bo5 sets. And jungles japes doubles, where the hell did that come from.

Also MKII
Don't worry, I'm not using the MBR ruleset so there are stage bans for Bo5 and nothing is counterpick for Doubles.

Does MKII = Motal Kombat II? Who would have that?

ORLY

Smash Master
it was a remnant of the old stagelists where random **** happened and there were stages that absolutely ****ed match-ups in the ***

peach / puff on mute city or fox vs slow character X on poke floats

that kind of thing

i've only made that stage my home

alcheato

Smash Ace
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like kind of a late time to start the singles bracket. I'll definitely be there for free play/doubles but I doubt I can stay for singles :(

metroid1117

Smash Master
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like kind of a late time to start the singles bracket. I'll definitely be there for free play/doubles but I doubt I can stay for singles :(
You have a good point, I thought that's the time Smash to the Future starts their pools but they start at 4:15. I'm not exactly sure how many setups we'll have, so I think it'll be better to start pools at 4:00. I hope no one has any objections.

alcheato

Smash Ace
You have a good point, I thought that's the time Smash to the Future starts their pools but they start at 4:15. I'm not exactly sure how many setups we'll have, so I think it'll be better to start pools at 4:00. I hope no one has any objections.
Hah yeah, but that's also why people complained so much about the way Smash to the Future was run. That's just IMO though, and it's your tourney so you can run it however you like. :)

Personally I'd just do a 30 minute food break between the time doubles ends and singles start to save time. Again, just my opinion though.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hah yeah, but that's also why people complained so much about the way Smash to the Future was run. That's just IMO though, and it's your tourney so you can run it however you like. :)

Personally I'd just do a 30 minute food break between the time doubles ends and singles start to save time. Again, just my opinion though.
I think with pools starting at 4 and a dinner break from 6-7, starting the bracket at 7 should be manageable. I could be judging the situation incorrectly though, since I'm banking on having less people than at Smash to the Future for quicker pools/brackets. Depending on if and how this tournament's schedule gets out of whack, I'll definitely consider having a 30 min food break.

Regarding quicker pools/brackets, I need people to bring setups! I can only guarantee at most 3-4 setups from the NU community, so we'll need a couple more if we want this tournament to finish on time!

Leacero

Smash Lord
I got you covered, bro ;). You should Smash with us more! Screw Skyrim!
Thanks, I've actually just been playing a lot more League of Legends since finals week interrupted Skyrim. :(

Are you guys planning to play any Melee before the tournament/during the Apex stream? I haven't touched the game since we last played.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks, I've actually just been playing a lot more League of Legends since finals week interrupted Skyrim. :(

Are you guys planning to play any Melee before the tournament/during the Apex stream? I haven't touched the game since we last played.
We're playing some while watching the APEX stream tomorrow night. I've also posted this in our FB group, you might want to ask for more people's phone numbers there in case my phone doesn't receive your call/text.

Top Bottom