• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Now that the game is out, who are your REAL mains. Did you expect such a character?

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I still like playing as Luigi as expected. He feels just as smooth as ever and got some nice improvements to some of his moves. I don't get why people are saying he's not good. :c :4luigi:

I've also enjoyed using Mario and Dr. Mario to some degree as they are a little similar to Luigi, yet different in a nice, fresh way with the moves and their gameplay. :4mario::4drmario:

I'm also enjoying Wario. He's still familiar to use like he was in Brawl, though he got some improvements, and he moves SO FLUIDLY NOW! His animations look good in this game and he's fun to use while still keeping his familiar traits. :4wario2:

I've found Robin to be a little tricky to get used to using properly. While he is interesting, potentially very effective, and can be fun to use, I dunno if I'll main him entirely anymore. :4robinm: I may give him a more in depth shot as I progress on.

I also have found some enjoyment with using Bowser in this game. He's a lot more fun and effective compared to Melee and Brawl and just as powerful too. I still have some other characters that I enjoy using, but probably will not necessarily try to main such as Marth, Sonic, Ganondorf, Captain Fabulous 2.0, and Ike. I think that's everyone who I have proper experience with atm.:4bowser::4marth::4sonic::4ganondorf::4falcon::4myfriends:

Quail93

Smash Rookie
I expected coming into this game that I would be a :4villager: main but quickly realized after a couple matches that his play style felt a bit off for me. The first two days I tried playing with :4palutena:, :4falco: and :4wiifit: (wii fit player and falco are still back up favorites, completely lost interest in paulatena). I realized after a while that :4peach: was the only character I haven't tried. She quickly became my favorite; her movements are sporadic and she's the only character that I've been successful in playing mind games with. I still have a lot to learn but I'll be sticking with her. I also want to get better with :4jigglypuff: but I cannot seem to get rest down..

Artificialignorance

Smash Rookie
:4littlemac:Decided that I'd main him right when they announced him, finally played him, and found out he is perfect for me after figuring his moveset and playing some matches online. I'll stick with him even if he is overused, I really like boxing characters and I won't drop him. Ever. Little Mac for life baby. (I also gotta learn to stay grounded 99% of the time with him, too used to using aerials all the time.)

:4bowserjr:Another perfect character for me, he's just really enjoyable to play as and has a pretty solid move set that I can utilize pretty well. Just gotta learn how to play him better.

:4bowser:Didn't like to play Bowser before, but I really like how he plays now in Smash 4. And now he feels more solid to play as.

:4duckhunt: Didn't expect to pick this duo up, but I did and I enjoy playing them now. His moveset feels just right for me, and playing a bit campy with the B moves.

:4dedede:A few changes for him here and there, but he's still fun to play. I like to mess with people by crouching and using d-tilt most of the time. Otherwise, I'm still getting used to the changes in his moveset.

:rosalina:I'm still getting used to this duo, but I find her fun to play. Just gotta figure out some strats with her when I separate Luma from her.

:4metaknight: Used to use him in brawl until people discouraged me to use him cause he was too good (even though I was just decent with him). Picked him up again and glad he isn't as good as he was in Brawl. I don't have to hear any more complaining from my friends again.

:4wario::4wario2: Much more fun to play as. I probably might pick him as a main.

:mario64::mariomelee::mario2::4mario::drmario::4drmario::kirby64::kirbymelee::kirby2::4kirby:Forever my mains.

I still haven't tried most of the cast since I've been using :4littlemac:, :rosalina:, and :4bowserjr: most of the time. Eventually, I'll probably end up using everyone. (I have too many mains.)

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Looks like Mario's my best...again. Sonic's doing much better this time, though, and may also fit that role. I want to say I'm good with Samus, but her horrible handling of pressure has me very worried for higher-level play. As for Pit, I'm getting varied results.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I had a pretty long list of characters I was interested in pre-release. Of those, Bowser Jr, Charizard, Megaman, Villager and to a smaller degree Robin aren't for me. All too slow, whether it be movement-wise or in their attack speed (or both in the case of Robin). Yuck.

Now, by current usage order (descending), here are the characters I've found myself using the most:

:4lucina: Kind of my "last resort" main pre-release. I mained Roy since he came out in PM so I thought Lucina would fit my style if I couldn't train myself to learn a new character. Pre-release I told myself to main a character with a projectile of some sort because I didn't want to have to go through the Roy struggle again (what good is a sword when you can even get near your opponent? QQ). Unfortunately, Lucina fits my style a little TOO well. I'm not sure if it's just familiarity, but I perform very well with her on For Glory most of the time and I've used her approximately twice as much as Falcon + Ness at the time of this post. Still, she is pretty fun to play, even if she's heavily lacking in the flashiness department.

:4falcon: Did NOT see this one coming. When I first saw him revealed along Lucina and Robin I was like "lol yay Falcon Punch but he'll still suck tho Brawl emirite?" But no, Falcon is amazing in this game and hella fun. Just in case I remove the GIF in my description, here's a link to a clip of my troll-y Falcon. The combos are sick, the finishers make me yell "HYES!" out loud and he just has a very natural flow to him. For what it's worth, he's amazing on For Glory in particular as Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick punish roll spammers with ease.

:4ness: Again, wasn't expecting this. I gave him a go when I was playing matches with all of the default characters. Whilst in Brawl Ness was basically my secondary (as he was the only character I sorta knew how to play other than Wolf) and in PM I understand him pretty well (even if I can't DJC for the life of me), I didn't invest much time into him and didn't enjoy playing as him that much. In Smash 4 however, it's a different story. I was impressed by Ness. He feels good (especially for a character with a goofy double jump) and all my knowledge of Ness I've built up from playing a certain Ness main for 2 & 1/2 years is being put to good use. I like his combos and his tools are nice in general, even if most of them are super-situational. My only real complaint is that I really don't like his down aerial and to be honest, it feels nerfed from its Brawl iteration. Now all I need to do is stop SDing with PK Thunder.
Ness and Captain Falcon have the same number of uses online (47 each) at the time of this post.

:4tlink: Unlike the above 3, Toon Link was a character I was genuinely interested in pre-release. I mainly felt inspired by Laijin's Young Link in Melee, as well as this Brawl Toon Link combo video. Toon Link's projectiles are a blast to use and I love the mindgames involved in mixing them up. His aerial finishers are very satisfying to connect with also. Whilst he is rather floaty, his ground and air speeds are more than enough to make up for it IMO and that's awesome because coming to Smash 4 from playing Project M for about a year, I've (as I said at the start of this post) really grown spiteful towards slower characters. Granted slow characters were never really my forte, but here I can't stand them. So yeah, I'm glad Toon made me feel like my interest was well placed.
Edit: One more thing. I'm still learning him. I never had much experience with Toon Link in Brawl both playing as him and playing against him. It certainly would be easier if RAR Bairs weren't so hard to do on the 3DS.

Other characters who I'm enjoying:

Luigi - Movement was better than expected. Nice combos and aerials.
Dark Pit - He's pretty cool, but I'm not very good with him. I like him more than Pit mainly because of his arrows.
Pit - He's pretty cool, but I'm not very good with him.
DK - Obviously strong, but surprisingly fast too. As long as you don't get Utilt'd much, I feel he's pretty good. Maybe a little underrated, too. Only character of the "other characters who I'm enjoying" category who I wasn't considering maining pre-release.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
:4jigglypuff: - I always liked Jigglypuff's movest, but could never master it. Now it seems that it fits me perfectly.

Real Mains: :4jigglypuff::4kirby::4drmario::4diddy::4tlink::4bowser:

Mains in the making: :4falcon::4lucina::4dedede::4dk::4wario2::4shulk::4samus::4ludwig::4pit:

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Was expecting to main :4megaman: since he's pretty awesome and all. Played him first at SmashFest. Played :rosalina: second since she looked cool.

Once I got the demo with the five characters, I still used Mega Man almost exclusively, but once I got the full game, I fell in love with how Rosalina plays.

tomCat

Smash Rookie
Originally, I thought about :4megaman: and :4drmario:, but I wasn't feelin' it so I've now played like 100 games of :4charizard:.

I'll probably end up maining: :4charizard::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4gaw:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, I'm already falling out of love with Yoshi. It has been brought to my attention that Uthrow / Dthrow to Uair is not guaranteed against most characters, they can just hold up and mash jump to escape, rendering his throws nearly valueless and thus crippling a huge part of his offense. Uair's hitbox is very bad, almost all dairs will beat it cleanly, so chasing with Uair is not a viable option, his only solid chase is UpB, which has no kill power. Now most of his buffs are actually starting to look like nerfs, since almost all of his moves send the opponent vertically now, rendering Bair much less potent for gimps than it used to be.

Overall, I think he's still mid or lower mid tier. Of the 30 something matches I played tonight, I still won like 65%, but I feel that I outplayed my opponent in virtually all of them and the ones I lost were mainly due to Yoshi's weaknesses as a character, which isn't fun.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
:4peach: is my main in this game, just as I had hoped. She has a lot of similarities with her Brawl incarnation in this game, only she's been buffed in a lot of ways. With the power buffs to her Fair, Up Smash, and Forward Smash, gone is her struggle to kill. Her Forward B's speed also been buffed, making it a wonderful tool for punishes, even in situations where the opponent would be too far away to normally punish. She clicked with me very easily and I'm enjoying every bit of her in this game.

:4jigglypuff: has surprisingly rose up the ranks as my secondary character. I had only started to use her as my tertiary character towards the end of Brawl, mostly just for fun. But even then, she was a struggle to win with. The case is not nearly the same in Smash 4. I've only scratched the surface of her so far (I've been focusing WAY too much on Peach), but I'm really liking her.

:4wiifit: is hard. Probably low-tier just as I thought. But there are still a lot of interesting nuances to her hitboxes that intrigue me about her. I've yet to get to the point where I've become confident enough with her to take into For Glory but I'm not giving up on her just yet. I need to find a good sparring partner to practice her.

:4zss: I'm on the fence about. She's buffed, yes... but I have to feel interest in my main's fighting style in order to devote myself to playing them... and the focus of her playstyle has really shifted far from her stun gun to her new rocket shoes... a lot more so than I thought it would have. I'll keep trying with her though.

SmashingObjection

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leviathan
3DS FC
1521-5713-8600
:4kirby: My go to main. His down air is AMAZING as it spikes and can combo into most of Kirby's ground moves. He's also fast and has decent kill power with great air mobility.

:rosalina: She's too much fun. This one time I was getting bodied by a Zero Suit near the top blast zone, when enter Luma who ko's him with an up air at 40%

:4zelda:,:4sheik:, and :4dedede: I really like how these guys feel even if I'm trash with them right now. Plan to try pick all of them up once WiiU releases.

jabronni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jabronnii
Mains:

:4larry:Very unexpected. Jr.'s moveset is so different than my usual preference in a main (:sheikmelee::foxmelee:) but I can't deny the fact that I love his variety. Have a long way to go before I see the results I want.

:4bowser:Another strange pick for me. As it's been said here already, Bowser really feels improved in Smash 4. His endurance and high damage was hard for me to pass up.

:4lucina:Not at all what I was hoping. I'm fine with the Marth copy paste but even he seems nerfed. Still going to be playing her because I love FE.

Secondaries:

:4greninja:Knew I wanted to invest in this newcomer for a while. He will most likely be a seconday for me.

:4drmario:Being one of my favorites from melee I was so hyped about his return. Maybe it's just me but he feels way strong. Not only that but I have a lot of fun with him.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
1. :4sonic: - Bruh, there was no way I wasn't gonna main Sonic.

2. :4greninja: - He seemed fun visually, and I definitely wanted to try him out. Ninjas are cool bro.

3. :4zss: - Holy crap, those boots change her entirely; I like her even more now.

4. :4sheik:? - I have a thing for nimble characters, although I might just keep it to the top 3.

5. :4lucario:? - I started out wanting to main him, but I just haven't really been feeling it, overall with him D:

I just noticed that there are a crapton of blue characters in this game.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
still wanting to main shulk, and have kept at it due to how much I loved xenoblade....but he just feels so underpowered, with almost all his moves having lots of lag on em, and his monado arts, while definitely able to give him some flexibility in situations, don't get rid of all that lag on those moves

but....I'm realizing just how much they buffed sonic, on top of his playstyle feeling very close to his brawl one, side b shenanigans included, so its easy to adjust to him. I never mained him in brawl, but I enjoyed using him enough.

Then there is pit, who was my main in brawl, who (aside from up b, side b, slower time between arrows, and a loss of gliding) has been somewhat easy to get used to his new style.

I really want to main shulk but i'm getting vastly better results with my old brawl cast......

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
Before the game came out, I was so sure that Robin was going to be my main and replace my all time main Marth. But when I finally got my hands on Robin, I hated how he played. Sure he's strong and probably going to end up top tier, but I can't stand using him. I don't even want to learn him. I like agile, fast characters. Boy was I mistaken thinking Robin would be fast. His run is so ugly too.

But my mains now that I have a good amount of time in the game are:
:4marth:-Still my all time main. I definitely thought that I would have to replace him hearing from nearly everyone that he has been nerfed and is now a bad character, but honestly I don't find him that much different. Still my favorite.

:4greninja:-Greninja was someone who I was planning on maining and I am so happy with the way he plays. He's so fun. Maybe he'll overcome Marth as my main one day?

:4ness:-I've always loved Ness. He was always the most fun character in all the smash games for me, even if I wasn't good with him. He's still the most fun. And now I'm actually getting better with him!

:4sonic:-Hearing that sonic was buffed gave me a great feeling. He is definitely better in Smash 4 and I love using him. He is now one of my mains.

:4shulk:-Shulk was one of the characters I planned to main. He's definitely good and I like using him. I just need to continue figuring him out and perfecting choosing my arts quickly.

:4sheik:-Sheik is just too damn good

Characters I thought I'd main, but ended up dropping:
:4robinm::4tlink::4luigi::4yoshi::4pikachu::4kirby:

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
Almost none of the new characters I wanted to like ended up being my style XD

I thought I'd like :rosalina::4greninja::4palutena::4robinf::4shulk: but ended up liking none of them, lol. Instead ended up loving :4duckhunt:and:4sheik:, who I never thought I'd go back to.

As it stands, my roster would go something like:
:4zelda::4villagerf::4tlink::4duckhunt::4wiifit:, with :4sheik: being my best... unwillingly XD. I wish :4zelda: was my best, but I just can't get used to her new air game yet. Yet.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
I'm a :4yoshi: main since 64 despite its weakness so of course I'm maining him in Smash 4, He's a beast now !

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I am still playing ike most of the time, but im liking both mac and pac man a lot too and am learning them as well

Lemonitis

Smash Rookie
:4sheik:Well this girl is amazing. Not much said there since I believe a huge group feels the same.

:4palutena:Underrated. Despite having some lag in most of her moves, Palutena plays great. She's an awesome keep away with her neutral B and her Dgrab to Uair combo works wonders.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Who I expected to use, regardless of tier list placement: :4palutena::4robinf::rosalina::4zelda:

Who I didn't think I'd like but I actually kinda do: :4zss::4lucina::4peach:

However, mostly I've been sticking to and trying to master RosaLuma. I've tried the other characters briefly but I feel like there are a lot of things I really need to learn in order to make the transition from casual to competitive, so sticking to a single character helps limit the things I need to learn at once. As for a breakdown of each character and how I feel about them...

:rosalina:- I love her playstyle. She's easily my favorite SMB character, and her puppeteer playstyle really adds to her viability for me. She's pretty versatile and I'm able to handle a wide variety of matchups and situations with her. Projectile spammers are a joke against me, so that's a real plus. So long as I can read my opponent well, I can pretty much get a win with her, which is always nice. I don't know if she's as OP as some people claim, but she is certainly a strong character.

:4palutena: - I haven't played her as much as I'd like to, but I feel she's a bit stronger than people are giving her credit for. Sure, her specials are nothing... special... but her normals and smashes are where its at. Her smashes all have amazing range and kill potential, and I think she could be a force to be reckoned with in the right hands. Some people complain that her up smash is off center, and to a point I can understand that, but it's actually less risky that way if you can read where your opponent is going to fall and then line it up right.

:4robinf:- I think she's a good character overall, but projectile spammers miss the point of playing her. Yes I get that the lightning projectile is strong but when you're facing someone like Ness, Fox, RosaLuma, or anyone else who devours projectile spammers you're gonna need to adapt a bit.

:4zelda:- I love the buffs to Zelda, and I also love that Down B doesn't change my entire character anymore. People who think that Din's Fire has been nerfed don't really understand that it's a KO move now. It wasn't before, unless you were playing a CPU who was too dumb to air dodge while you spammed it. She's a bit faster now, and overall she's a much more usable character.

:4zss:- Just OMG. So much mobility. She can be easy to read as an opponent sometimes, but she has great rushdown potential and can apply constant pressure. I didn't like her much in Brawl, but in S4 I think she's pretty great.

:4lucina:- I never liked Marth that much, so I'm kinda surprised by how much I'm liking Lucina. I guess I'm just not one of those guys who wants to cheap out by only using the tip. I want to go all the way in and use the full sword. Yeah some people counter-spam with her, but that's not how you win. That's how you get read and destroyed. I love her swordplay overall.

:4peach:- I used to hate this character in Melee, and then in Brawl I realized just how awesome her hover was. In Smash 4 I realized that she can basically SHFFL without even needing to SH, FF, or L. Just crouch -> hover -> fair. So many options, and I look forward to mastering her once I get confident enough with other characters. Plus, her "Oooh, did I win?" is just... so much troll. XD

Synzer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Synzer
3DS FC
0817-4230-0108
:4greninja: I was pretty sure I'd be maining him and I am. He's one of my best Pokemon in X and I love him in SMash as well.

:4larry:I was surprised at Bowser Jr. For one it's cool to play as any of the Koopalings, but it's actually a fun character as well. I'm starting to use it more and more.

I was expecting to play Ness more since Lucas is gone, but I just haven't used him as much as others.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
After playing quite a bit and messing with the characters, I can definitely say... I have no single main. All the characters I play I'm good with and enjoy in some way. I say that if I had to choose my #1 main, I would probably stick with Captain Falcon... But Bowser, Megaman, Zero Suit Samus, Link, Zelda, Mario, DK, and Samus are all REALLY awesome. It would be a toss up between all of them for my 2nd main.

Last edited:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
:4link: :4bowserjr::4robinm:

Was never really a huge fan of:4link:in Brawl/Melee, but I practiced as him a ton in the demo. Getting used to his projectile combos and boomerang snatches.
:4bowserjr:is a lot of fun. He's got great tilts and smash attacks. Haven't gotten used to his projectiles, though. They feel a little odd.
Still getting used to :4robinm:, but am gonn try to practice more as him. He's certainly got potential to be an alright character

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
As I fully expect, :4sonic:is my main, :4jigglypuff:being my secondary which was a surprise! As for subs, didn't expect to like :4zss:so much considering I didn't play her at all in Brawl, and :4greninja: turned out to be one I really liked playing. :4myfriends: is a sub too, plus :4link: and :4kirby: have always maintained sub/mains for me.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, I don't have a "main" in the strict sense of the word, but I do have characters I'm better at.

The ones I expected: :4bowser::4falcon::4tlink::4robinm:
The ones I didn't expect: :4diddy::4rob::4shulk::4dk:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The character I Main:

:4olimar:-Main since brawl. Im still Main him, even is nerfed.
:4duckhunt:-Clearly unexpect to be Main, I just fell love with this duo and is moveset is amazing. (Camp with can)
:4yoshi:- Yoshi feel like Brawl Yoshi only that is a beast to be fear it. (Lick custom moves is amazing!)
:4villager:- I don't use him like in the Demo but somehow. I managed to stay main.
:4rob:-R.O.B. got amazing moves now and is Uair is amazing!
:4kirby:-Im working with him. Is neutral attack and Cutter custom moves are very fun.

Secondary:
:4dedede: (Is heavy and slow but is amazing.)
:4metaknight:(He suck now so no hate this time. Is really hard to use now.)
:4gaw:(Feel nerfed than brawl but somehow I still like him.)
:4pacman:(It soo much fun!)

stoik

Smash Rookie
Characters I expected to use: :4falco::4lucario::4greninja:
Characters I currently use: :4lucario::4lucina::4yoshi:

:4falco: Has been my main since Melee but he feels so nerfed in this game. His spike has huge startup lag and his lasers are so slow. I never really used the chain grab much so that doesn't affect me but he seems to be worse and less fun overall.
:4lucario: One of my mains in Brawl and likely my best guy in SSB4. His range feels as good as ever and his recovery goes stupid far now. Aura Sphere past 100% is absolutely vicious and hard to avoid at times. Force Palm is actually useful.
:4greninja: I want to like him but he just feels so awkward to use sometimes. He has some high priority moves and good speed but I'm unimpressed by his throws and tilts. Still in the mix though.
:4lucina: Basically Roy from Melee without the loss of speed compared to Marth. I was never much good at tipping my attacks so she suits me better than her ancestor, and I can still pull off those majestic looking ledge guards that I love.
:4yoshi: Never been a main of mine before but I've heard good things so I thought I'd try him out. He's got some great features and an excellent grab (despite bad throws), and eggs are awesome. I keep killing myself with side+b in the air but I'm getting used to it.

Her0Noi5e

Smash Cadet
I thought I would just play :4mario: because I felt like he would just be a comfort pick. I've played him ever since 64, and his fighting style has almost always stayed the same, and if I wasn't able to play him, I was figuring I was going to play :4littlemac:.

but when it finally came out, I realize that :4mario:and :4littlemac: just weren't doing it for me anymore. I liked the ground that they both had, but I wanted to be faster, so then I started playing more :4greninja:.

:4greninja: ended up being my main because I just like the speed and utility of his kit. I honestly believe that he doesn't really have a bad match up, and he can play his way through almost anything. Whats funny though, everyone always told me they were going to main him as well, just because he was Greninja, and I've never played Pokemon x or y, so I have no favoritism towards him, I just really like his character in the game lol.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Note that I am still determining my top few, but I have a good idea on the candidates. Expected isn't in order (beyond the first two) but real mains are for the most part.
Expected: :4robinf:(:lucas::sadeyes:):4drmario::4duckhunt::4greninja::4kirby::4lucina::4marth::4ness::4peach::4pikachu::rosalina::4sheik::4tlink::4villagerf::4zss::4sonic:
:4robinf: was the newcomer I didn't know I wanted. I had never heard of her before her reveal, but I fell for her immediately. :lucas: is my precious and the rep for my favorite game ever. I naively expected his return. :4drmario: was a character I was decent with in Melee. :4duckhunt: I just adored for his Looney Tunes antics and expected to just be a fun gimmick. :4greninja: was a new, fast-looking character from my favorite franchise. :4kirby: is one of my classic mains. :4lucina: is a clone of my classic secondary :4marth: and also a character I now love a lot as a character. :4ness: is similar to my precious. :4peach: was one of my Brawl favorites along with :4sonic:. :4pikachu:was my first main and my safe fall-back character. :rosalina: was one of my most wanted newcomers, along with :4villagerf:. :4sheik: was a Melee main of mine I sort of fell out with in Brawl and was hoping to try again. :4tlink: was another Brawl character I enjoyed using. :4zss: I liked in Brawl but didn't like how she was tethered to :4samus:.

Real Mains: :4robinf::4zss::4wiifit::4shulk::4duckhunt::4megaman::4greninja::4darkpit::4lucina::4palutena::4villagerf:
:4robinf:
was little surprise, though I was happy I picked her up quickly, and :4zss: wasn't either, though I thought she'd be not that close to the top. She's GOOD. :4wiifit: was the big shocker for me. I thought she looked fun, but not like a character I could really do well with, but she feels natural for me. :4shulk: was another surprise, as his Monado gimmick didn't interest me at all at first, but now I love it. :4duckhunt: was expected, though I didn't expect him to be so good. :4megaman: shocked me as I had no interest in him prior to using him in the demo a lot. :4greninja: was not a surprise at all- I called him being a character I could use well the moment he was revealed. :4darkpit: surprised me because I was never a Pit fan in Brawl, but his Electro Arm and just general moves feel great. Now that :4pit: has changed a little, I plan on trying him more, too. :4lucina: was expected, though :4marth: I have sadly lost my touch with compared to Lucina. :4palutena: is in the same category as Mega Man minus the demo part- I only grew to love her thanks to Smash Run and her really being helpful there. Now I adore her. :4villagerf: I'm decent with, but she was lower than I expected.

I'm still exploring- :4wiifit: might have her top 3 spot stolen- but I know I am solid with all of those and that :4robinf:and :4zss: have a tight hold as my top two.

EDIT: And by mains I mean characters I use a lot. In terms of the best of the best for me to use, I expected :4robinf::lucas::4sheik::4zss::4lucina:, and got :4robinf::4zss::4wiifit::4shulk::4duckhunt:.

Also forgot to mention :4miibrawl: as a character I surprisingly enjoy using. Horrible recovery prevents her from being a main, though.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm still not 100% sure.

I need to play some characters more. I've been focusing so much on unlocking challenges and going through the motions in single player modes and not really characters.

Most veterans feel about the same or slightly better and haven't changed in my eyes since Brawl. If I liked them in Brawl, I like them still. If I didn't in Brawl, I still don't. Only exception is Bowser, who definitely added himself to my 'like' list.

Newcomer-wise, I'm indifferent about Mii Fighters, and just not feeling Palutena, Mega Man or Rosalina. The clones are lumped with the originals in how I feel (indifferent about Dark Pit, like Lucina). Everyone else I pretty much love.

I haven't really determined a 'main' though. I default to Link, but we'll see in a few weeks where my primary playtime goes.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Ness is still my main, so glad he got buffed. But I've somehow fallen in love with Bowser Jr, he's just so cute and fun.

Robin and Pacman are also two of my ... back up mains.

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Expected to play Pikachu, Kirby, Palutena, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Robin and Lucina before the game came out. Now I think it's starting to lean towards mostly Greninja, Lucina and Robin, though from time to time I still play Palutena. I think I'm also playing more Dr. Mario as well.

Kelby Lutzker

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1204-0137-3427
I have been a Mario main for just about every title, so I figured he would continue to be (especially since the buzz around the internet is about how this is the greatest version of Mario to date). While he is very good, I am a huge fan of :4Rosalina: and she is my 3DS main for sure!!! This wasn't a complete surprise. I love floaty characters and magic users, but I was not expecting her to have so much control over the battlefield. Luma is an adorable beast champion. Eats damage, hurts foes, and opens up combos to pass the enemy back and forth between Rosalina and the Luma. Very quick, great dash attack and decent back air. Uair kills at decent percent. I'd strongly recommend picking her up and giving her a try.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
Who I thought I was going to use: :4tlink::4ness::4pacman::4falcon::4duckhunt::4mario::4wario2::4littlemac:

Who I ended up using: :4darkpit::4marth::4pacman::4ness::4shulk::4duckhunt:

Thinking about checking out: :4bowserjr::4palutena::4falco::4sonic::4rob:

In terms of who I use now, :4darkpit:and :4shulk:were big surprises. I love the way they feel, especially with their side b's. :4ness: I've used since 64 and :4marth: I've used since Melee. Although I knew :4pacman:and :4duckhunt: were gonna be fun, I didn't expect them to be as fun as they ended up being. :4pacman:'s fruit roulette is a blast to use, especially when getting the Galaga spaceship, and :4duckhunt:has good basics and fantastic specials. That drum can is so satisfying to use, whether it hits or misses.

Last edited:

Mr.Deoxys

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5300-8613-9585
Loved :4robinm: in Fire Emblem, love him/her in Smash even more.
:4mario: is still my real main since he seems alot better than he was in brawl and melee

Last edited:

icecreamlights

Smash Cadet
I didn't expect to like Zero Suit Samus and Mii Brawler so much. O_O But I still main Robin, Lucina, Zelda, and Palutena like I planned.

EDIT: I've been trying out Dark Pit and he feels really nice. I'll put him in my signature and practice more with him. :D

Last edited:

Jz0089

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4141-3295-5808
I'm really enjoying :4samus: and i thought i wouldn't, because she really sucked in Brawl IMO. But the good thing that I found about this game is that with good strategy everyone can be good with almost every character. That is something really awesome. I have seen some awesome performance with almost every character. It would be really cool if the pros drop the tier list and rock with things that no one is expecting.

Top Bottom