• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Now that the game is out, who are your REAL mains. Did you expect such a character?

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
My real mains are :4robinm::4sheik::4shulk:. I got Robin and Shulk everything else wrong lol. I really like using these three characters a lot!

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Prelaunch mains::4kirby::4megaman:
Prelaunch secondaries::4ness::4sonic::4lucina:

Postlaunch mains::4kirby::4ness:
Postlaunch secondaries::4megaman::4lucina::4darkpit:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Ever since that very first trailer of Smash 4 with Villager, Mega Man, and another one with WFT, I felt that I would stick to my main since 64: :4mario:. I saw newcomer after newcomer in every Smash 4 trailer and I felt something, a feeling of resignation as this was the first that I was ever conflicted on having a main in Smash before.
Eventually I finally got the demo and tried out the five for it: :4mario::4link::4pikachu::4villager::4megaman:. After three days my playstyle completely changed and favored :4megaman: out of all of them. At that point I was sure he was going to be my main when I got the full game. It was then that my mains and secondaries were all completely unexpected.

Mains: I tried out everyone in the cast this time around instead of my usual "go-to-Mario" mentality in the past games. After unlocking everyone I tested them all one by one in a few offline matches, naturally finding some that clicked and some that didn't. In the end I ended up with two mains.

:4shulk:: The biggest surprise to me but I feel that he fits my playstyle to have as many tools available for any situation. At first I was gonna drop him when testing everyone out since I felt he was sluggish and that the Monado Arts were unnecessarily complex. The revelation kicked in when I learned how to manage his system and declared to myself that, for good and bad times, I'm sticking with Shulk as my definite main for Smash 4. Of course he was a primarily defensive character so I needed someone to round him out, and who else than...

:4littlemac:: My favorite newcomer that became VERY easy to pick up and play. As a rushdown offensive character I felt he complimented Shulk quite well. Unlike Monado Boy I had to learn quick approaches and jabs instead of having it easy for me. It's also the most satisfying thing landing a KO Punch on someone and have them sent flying through the roof.

Secondaries: Even though Shulk and Little Mac take care of each other's weaknesses pretty well, I figured I should nab secondaries to practice using a pure swordsman (Vanilla Shulk) and proper spacing (Little Mac). At the moment I came up with one for each of the two.

:4lucina:: To be honest I would've gone with my regular swordsman main, Link, with this but felt the FE characters were more appropriate because the sword is their only weapon. I chose Lucina for two reasons: I wanted to have a female in my roster for the sake of gender variety and her design made her similar to, and simpler than, Marth. She just flowed naturally and her quick tilts and aerials immediately translated to Shulk and made him even better to play.

:rosalina:: I actually started playing her more often and felt that having two fighters at once relieves spacing issues and allows me to plan ahead more often in the heat of the battlefield. Despite her supposed complexity RosaLuma was actually quite simple: Manage your two fighters wisely and play a bit defensively if Luma gets knocked out. She's also a nice fighter to punish mistakes, something that Mac absolutely goes over.

I still play other characters for casual play from time to time but I stuck to these four after about a week of playing.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
ive been bouncing between five characters actually lol.

Lucario/Wario are basically even to me, i use them both about the same amount.
Ive always been a fan of Wario, funny guy, and i love the personality they gave him since Wario Ware.
Lucario is just Lucario lol so win there. The fact that he has no utterly worthless moves in this version makes him so much better. His UpB in brawl made him unplayable to me as all it did was leave him wide open and didnt have ANY offensive capabilities or massive speed.

Diddykong would be next. I used him a lot in Brawl and i ahve to say i like him more in 3DS. Brawl it was all about the bananas, the rest of him kinda sucked, now the bananas are a setup to a gajillion combos he can pull off lol.

King Dedede. I used him in Brawl because he was the underdog of my group. We all regarded him as trash, so i picked him to mock my friend and ended up liking him for some reason and using him a LOT more. Im not a fan of his down-air change, but i still like him overall in 3DS.

Finally DK. DK has always been my curve-ball to my opponents since he plays weirdly. I think they nerfed him in this game though since i notice i never power through ANYTHING anymore even with a full charge punch (that supposedly has super armor...bullcrap i say). Still fun to use since he has 3 meteors...as a full charge punch to the face on the side of the screen is just as good as a meteor lol

I really really wanted to main Megaman since hes easily my favorite gaming icon of all time. Hes just....lame though. Projectile king since he has WAY more projectiles than anybody else...but he cant even spam them and theyre all easily countered save his charge buster shot, which is uber short for a projectile. Too too too easy to break into his camp and because he has 3 ways to fire lemons he has no melee combos to defend himself close up.

Last edited:

Rikter

Smash Cadet
I expected to play Ike as usual coming from Brawl. However something feels very off about him now and I don't enjoy him as much anymore. As for who I ended up maining instead i've not really decided but Duckhunt and Lucina are surprisingly at the forefront of contention for me.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Pre-launch thought was to main Pit and secondary Dedede.

Turns out I'm using Pit and & Ness about equally, and Dedede rarely. I don't know why, but Ness is really fun which sucks because Ness/Earthbound is the only character in Smash whose original game I haven't played

Last edited:

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm back with an update.

:4kirby:- Is most likely going to be my main once again... I quit maining Kirby in Brawl and switched to Diddy, but Kirby has good combos and the like now. Playing a character for several years kinda makes him flow no matter what...
Aside from Kirby, I still love :4greninja::4marth::4sheik::4sonic::4peach::4falcon::4diddy::4robinm::4zss::4littlemac:(in order of most -> least favorite... of my favorites) and will use them all frequently as well.

Also, I've tried every character but :4gaw: and :4duckhunt:. The only one I don't thoroughly enjoy playing as now is :4megaman: still.

Top Bottom