• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that generic enemies are on the table, who do you want?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Shy Guy as a Yoshi Rep.

I have wanted that for like 5 years, and now reality is making that possible.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am glad the argument helps them in that favor at least.
Yeah. That's me trying to find something positive about Piranha Plant's unexpected inclusion.

Can't believe a generic Mario enemy, especially one that doesn't walk or jump, actually got in Smash... after years of detractors arguing against Toad for being a generic species and against Captain Toad for being unable to jump.

I was actually shaking... my hands trembling... as I watched the Piranha Plant video... trying to process what I was seeing.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yeah. That's me trying to find something positive about Piranha Plant's unexpected inclusion.

Can't believe a generic Mario enemy, especially one that doesn't walk or jump, actually got in Smash... after years of detractors arguing against Toad for being a generic species and against Captain Toad for being unable to jump.

I was actually shaking... my hands trembling... as I watched the Piranha Plant video... trying to process what I was seeing.
Here is my question about this whole subject: How do people argue for individual characters over enemies that are more recognizable to the average gamer?
Example: Why add in Hector from Fire Emblem when the Fire Emblem Soldier has appeared in every iteration of the game and has more moveset potential?
Note: Not being serious but playing the part as a detractor.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Couldn't it be argued that generic enemies are a better fit for a series than individual characters?
The COs aren't exactly fighters, though, which puts things into question. Sure, Smash could make them fight, but will that happen over making the fighters fight?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
ITT: Everyone sleeping on Lynel

You guys disgust me so.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
People, please quit confusing "generic enemy" with "generic race made into a character." Capt. Toad and Bandanna Dee are both in a different boat than Piranha.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The COs aren't exactly fighters, though, which puts things into question. Sure, Smash could make them fight, but will that happen over making the fighters fight?
Except you did not address my question about Fire Emblem's Hector over the Soldier. Why would Hector be playable if he has only appeared in some main line games and has a limited moveset against a character who has been in every iteration and has wider moveset potential to represent the franchise?

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm not kidding in the slightest when I saw I've wnated to be able to play as a Moblin since the early Zelda games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Except you did not address my question about Fire Emblem's Hector over the Soldier. Why would Hector be playable if he has only appeared in some main line games and has a limited moveset against a character who has been in every iteration and has wider moveset potential to represent the franchise?
I'd say that they're equal at this point. Hector for being a Lord and an actual character, and Soldier for being such a recurrent enemy in the series.

That said, I'd hesitate to call Soldier an "icon" of Fire Emblem. Pegasus Knights are more iconic if anything, if only for being the stock "Lord's canon love interest" class.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
KAMEK

Now that I got your attention, besides him (and Bandana Dee, natch), there's Goombario/Goombella.

If we can't have Paper Mario himself, we oughta go for the next best thing.

Miyamoto probably doesn't want anyone besides himself to use him anyway, not even Sakurai
In all seriousness I only would want Paper Mario for the partners anyway. Paper Mario as a character is a little flat.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'd say that they're equal at this point. Hector for being a Lord and an actual character, and Soldier for being such a recurrent enemy in the series.

That said, I'd hesitate to call Soldier an "icon" of Fire Emblem. Pegasus Knights are more iconic if anything, if only for being the stock "Lord's canon love interest" class.
What do you mean he isn't an Icon? Everyone who has played a Fire Emblem game has come across a soldier. In fact you could argue the generic foot enemy is more iconic than the Pegasus Knights because they are the first enemies players come across.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, it works. The guy shows up in many parts of the SMT-verse, right? Would eliminate the hassle of going with any particular lead or major character.
Yeah, and even outside the Megaten universe.

After all, he IS the mascot of the series and Atlus as a whole.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sega already has two franchises, though.
Yeah, true.
But I never said he was quite a realistic pick to begin with.
Plus, Jack Frost was a mascot even before Atlus became property of Sega.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Dry Bones with Giga DryBowser Punch for his Final Smash

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Still think we need Bandanna Dee and Toad (Captain or regular), but if I had to choose

Shy Guy

Kracko

Rick, Coo, and Kine

Animal buddies like Rambi, Squitter and Squawks

Last edited:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Please do not post media-only replies. Also, please put images with lots of high movement in them in spoilers to avoid epilepsy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think we need to think of enemies that aren't already represented by another of their race, come to think of it. Why should we have a Koopa when we already have Bowser, after all?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am gonna go with Space Pirate. I think this one has a lot of potential!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ever since Smash Ultimate was announced, I always thought the Lynel from Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be an interesting fighter. Lynel first appeared in The Legend of Zelda for the NES. The many weapons and magickal abilities at the Lynel's disposal would make it a very versatile fighter.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Mmm...Tough call, since this opens up a lot of potential.

---------------

a Darknut from Twilight Princess might give us that heavy swordsman rep (RIP Swordsman Ganondorf) for the Zelda franchise...for added effect, could become faster the more damage they take (referencing their change of combat phase in TP) and have bits of their armor come off as part of a unique damage system. Also: Side-B for sword throw.

Really, any major mario enemy could work...well...except Bullet Bill. He's a reoccurring item, I'm afraid....BONZAI BILL THOUGH.

Chef Kawasaki from Kirby...but only if his F-Smash hits people with a bag of salt.

LancerJayden

Smash Rookie
Bandana Dee (i don't think he's generic, but people have used that as an argument against him and piranha plant shows that "generic enemies" can still make it) plus bandana dee is super popular.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Piranha Plant is iconic and I couldn't be happier with its inclusion. Even as a common baddy in Mario games, it is one of the most recognizable symbols in gaming alongside things like Bowser's visage and Majora's Mask (rip Skull Kid I still have faith in your possible but improbable promotion). Not only that but I've always felt they have personality in how they are presented in various Mario games, be it dancing or being a bunch of total buttholes. Overall, an excellent pick, especially as the token "wtf" character of Smash 5. I am not bummed out in the least.

With that in mind I have always secretly wanted to play as Shy Guy, who has been and probably always will be my favorite character from the Mario franchise, if not all Nintendo-centric series as a whole. Any game where I can play as him, I do. So yeah, easy answer for me.

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
Ahh, that reminds me.

I always wanted a generic Infantry Unit from Advance Wars since 2008.
Hey, I thought I was the only one who thought of that! I even made a crappy moveset video for them back in 2013. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, now this one's probably stretching it.

...unless you're maybe talking about the relatively more humanoid Guardian Scouts, that is.
i dont think it would be, they shrank ridley down and that worked sure the scouts would probably work best but theres no reason a crawler couldnt work

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd be genuinely excited for a Slime to represent DQ as others have stated, but there's so many more great Square 'generics':

For Nintendo though:
Infantry and Tanks (Yes, I will shoehorn in Advance Wars characters, No, they're not an AT anymore)
But for real they could absolutely still represent the gameplay of the series, even if they don't have the character and charm the COs bring.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
i dont think it would be, they shrank ridley down and that worked sure the scouts would probably work best but theres no reason a crawler couldnt work
Again the problem isn't size. The real issue was that Ridley's in-game designs were very unsuited to being playable. At least they were able to dramatically alter his wings and limbs to make it work, but could they do the same for a guardian?

Top Bottom