• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nothing Special, Probably Nothing New, Still A Decent Grab Approach.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQdxAQcxaY

Heh, I'm a bit of a scrub to the Melee Community but I think this could be handy.

I find this "tech" is best used in the first split second or so of retreating.

When facing away, wavedash and tap the direction you wavedashed and grab.

You'll grab your opponent quite easily unless they like jabbed or something.

Not very practical but good for making you look sexy, which is what Melee is all about.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, a lot of people do this. It's not that good of an approach in general. However, a lot of people do shield when they see ICs approaching them facing backwards since they expect bair/dsmash/etc., so it's useful then.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
****, I thought I was being a genius by doing something so silly that I would have pioneered it.

It's annoying when you get jabbed. Especially by CPU :@

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah I've been doing that for over a year, it used to be one of my favorite mix ups. If you have been using some spaced bairs and mixing in lots of different approaches that condition shielding this can work, a lot of good players don't just shield immediately they move a little first to throw off whatever you were trying to do though so be careful of that.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
I thought I'd call this a R.I.G.G cause the video name.

Why the hell not? It'd be another fun way to say you got ***** by IC.

Jace08

Smash Lord
The climbers turn around fast

They wavedash fast

Combine the two and you get...

BASIC MOVEMENT!

Sorry to burst your bubble a bit there but I don't think you can really call this a technique that can be named and everything. It is pretty important to be able to do though, imo, so it's good that you and other players know about it.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's nothing special. I already pointed out.

It just makes you look cooler than walking up to someone and grabbing them.

Remember I've only been playing this game properly for a very short time and haven't been to a tourney yet.

Binx

Smash Master
Its okay Hyesz, most melee players have been playing a long time, and things that you think you've discovered are techniques that we used for years and replaced with safer/more effective options, or just use seldom because they are more punishable at our level of play than they are at yours.

You should always vary your style to suit the opponents you are playing, if you can win by just shield grabbing and chain throwing then that's what you should do. But yeah just the next time you come up with a technique, don't make a new thread, just post it in the general, and just say hey this is what I like to do. Also someone mentioned naming this, we don't really do that in the melee community that's more of a brawl thing, if you wanna name your own moves thats fine, but don't expect the majority of people to take it seriously.

The most important thing is that you are having fun, if winning is the most fun thing for you, then you should focus on that, if it isn't and you just like looking cool then you should focus more on cool combos and technical desynchs.

Welcome to melee ^_^

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the warm welcome and tips.

If I ever refer to a cool RIGG'd kill, this is what I meant.

Currently getting in the groove of RIGG'd Wobbl'n. That's gonna be insane D:

Top Bottom