• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Everyone from Brawl/Melee will return... few 3rd party characters

D

Deleted member

So less characters than Brawl?

I'm just not hyped for this game.
Sakurai said that the roster will still be the same size as Brawl. But with different character choices.

I might still be interested in playing as Zelda her Twilight Princess skin returns.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think we can assume Toon Link is probably going to be one of the characters being cut as such, looking at the fact that he appears on a stage, but obviously everything is just theories for now, we can't tell yet.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

Turns out the 3DS version is going to cause us some trouble! There's a limitation on how many characters can fit onto the 3DS version and it will have the same roster as the Wii U version.

This could be the end of the clones.
Really? Wow, that's a major letdown if they are letting the 3DS version restrict the possibilities of the WiiU version, given that Smash really is made to be played on a console. That's pretty terrible. They're shooting themselves in the foot here.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So the 3DS version holds the Wii U version back. Great, just great. Man, what a bummer excuse for some veterans being cut, I'd rather they include as many characters as possible on the Wii U, and then restrict it a bit on the 3DS.

So I guess we can kiss Toon Link, Ike, Lucario and possibly even Snake, Lucas, Jigglypuff and R.O.B goodbye. Of course that's probably overly exaggerated, but it's still a bummer that it's a possibility.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I just said they were probably going to cut some Brawl characters in another thread. The idea isn't a popular one.

Cut repetitive characters and increase roster diversity.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I think we can assume Toon Link is probably going to be one of the characters being cut as such, looking at the fact that he appears on a stage, but obviously everything is just theories for now, we can't tell yet.
75M has DK yet he's in Brawl.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said that the roster will still be the same size as Brawl. But with different character choices.

I might still be interested in playing as Zelda her Twilight Princess skin returns.
Please give me a source on this. People keep saying and nobody has ever been able to provide a source. It's all just hearsay provided via the fans.

VelenZiga

Smash Rookie
Really? Wow, that's a major letdown if they are letting the 3DS version restrict the possibilities of the WiiU version, given that Smash really is made to be played on a console. That's pretty terrible. They're shooting themselves in the foot here.

It has to be that way in order for connectivity between the two to be a good thing at all. Think about it: If the WiiU version had more characters and stages than the 3DS version, it would be unfair to the 3DS players, cause they would end up missing out on content that they didn't get due to data space restrictions. In short: That would be cheating the customers, and you know how well that would go.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be fair he never outright said cuts, only that the 3DS could cause some problems. This could mean cuts, less newcomers, or less content in order to make room. Now that a Universal roster is confirmed it could turn out to be anything.

Let's not go crazy and start acting "Cut Happy."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
75M has DK yet he's in Brawl.
That argument worked before these news. Toon Link is without a doubt the first character on the chopping block, given that he's the character who's the most alike to another character.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
That argument worked before these news. Toon Link is without a doubt the first character on the chopping block, given that he's the character who's the most alike to another character.
If they're removing clones, Ganon TL Lucas Falco Wolf Lucario and most likely Ike will get replaced.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It has to be that way in order for connectivity between the two to be a good thing at all. Think about it: If the WiiU version had more characters and stages than the 3DS version, it would be unfair to the 3DS players, cause they would end up missing out on content that they didn't get due to data space restrictions. In short: That would be cheating the customers, and you know how well that would go.
I'd rather they be "unfair" to the 3DS players than kneecap the definitive version of the game. The 3DS version will be cheaper anyways.

Let's hope that Sakurai manages to fit in as much as he wanted even with the 3DS in the way.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I had a sneaking suspicion the 3DS version would somehow hold the WiiU version back as soon as it was announced... Looks like I was right.

Lucas, Lucario, and Snake are the only characters I wouldn't mind seeing get the boot. Anyone else not making the Smash 4 roster would be a disappointment.

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
That's cool. I only have a 3DS and have no plans for a Wii U so if I only get a few characters then the Wii U is going down with me.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
If I had to take a guess, in my own opinion I would say the most probable characters would be Toon Link, Lucas, Wolf/Falco (They could make the one that stays a mix of the 2 character's), Ike being replaced by Chrom or Roy, Lucario being replaced by Mewtwo, Snake being replaced by Pac-Man.

Ganondorf most probably won't be cut and will be given a new moveset actually.

Basically mostly the semi-closes are the first ones to go most probably with the replacement of some FOTM characters with their more popular versions of past/newer games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If they're removing clones, Ganon TL Lucas Falco Wolf Lucario and most likely Ike will get replaced.
Ganondorf can be made unique quite easily, and is far too important to the LoZ franchise. TL, Lucas, Wolf and Lucario are the clones I see as being potentially kicked out, and only if Fire Emblem gets a new rep can Ike be booted off. Falco is essentially Fox's Luigi, and has one out over Wolf once before during Melee's development.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair he never outright said cuts, only that the 3DS could cause some problems. This could mean cuts, less newcomers, or less content in order to make room. Now that a Universal roster is confirmed it could turn out to be anything.

Let's not go crazy and start acting "Cut Happy."

Quoted for truth. It could just mean we get a few new characters.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf can be made unique quite easily, and is far too important to the LoZ franchise. TL, Lucas, Wolf and Lucario are the clones I see as being potentially kicked out, and only if Fire Emblem gets a new rep can Ike be booted off. Falco is essentially Fox's Luigi, and has one out over Wolf once before during Melee's development.
Ganondorf hasn't been in a game for 7 years, so he has a chance of going.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I knew it...i ****ing knew it! I said it from day one this would happen!

And ofc hes not gonna out right say ''chars will be cut..,'' hes beating around the bush like all Devs do hes not allowed to say sheet like that!

I knew it....yes indeed

Falco
Jigglypuff
Toon Link
Wolf
Ike
R.O.B or Ice Climbers
Lucario
PKMN Trainer
Lucas

If they end up Scrapping Ganondorf OMFG.....speechless rage.
Are all at risk they will defenetly be cuts no doubt now its just a question of who for who....

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe he's just scaring us so we'll be excited whenever a veteran is announced.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ganondorf hasn't been in a game for 7 years, so he has a chance of going.
But he is still by far the most recognizable villain in the franchise, Toon Link would be cut way before him due to him being the cloniest of all clones in Brawl. Ganondorf is a series stable, only a semi-clone, more important, and Zelda won't be reduced to only 2 characters.

PKMN Trainer
There are many characters that'd go before PKMN Trainer, Jigglypuff included. One name: Charizard.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's cool. I only have a 3DS and have no plans for a Wii U so if I only get a few characters then the Wii U is going down with me.
Wow. You're a jerk.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I hated the idea for a 3DS version all along. I wanted them to just remake Melee and stick it on 3DS or something.

Also why are people saying Lucario is a clone. Who is he a clone of in Brawl?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Captain Falcon hasn't been in his own game for nearly 10 years. I guess he's at risk of getting the boot as well, right?
No because he's been in every smash. Ganon's only been in two. So obviously he's more likely to go...

Top Bottom