• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not doing anything about mii

Should miis be allowed in competitive play?

• YES

Votes: 74 92.5%
  • NO

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well, what I meant was to just "play the game as is given" without enforcing bans. I like @pidgezero_one 's points above, along with the other posts I've seen here supporting Miis more than the opposing side that wants to ban Miis: I'm not a particular huge fan of fighting Heli-derp kick, but neither do I like fighting Sonic, Sheik, or Luigi, and yet those characters are legal.

Could you say that opponents of the other special moves are Mii-ssing the point?:roll:
That's such a terrible pun I will have to borrow it with citation on numerous occasions.

Besides, Heliderp is far more fair than Sheik. It's not even guaranteed.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I knew chibo was going to free miis at MLG, but the outcome actually surprises me. While a lot of the top players were bothered by free miis only a few players seem to drop MLG because of it. In fact most players are more concerned about the one stage ban rule rather than miis. Most pro players are worried about stages than banning characters. This is huge.

I am starting to see a shift in the way people are thinking about miis. If we give it time free miis will become more common in rulesets. For example, if EVO 2016 host smash 4 again than I am 99% sure they will have free miis. Once that happens even more locals will use them and find that they are not harmful to the scene. If we are lucky we may get ANOTHER national with free miis the time in between MLG and EVO.

While I am not sure if they will be standard, I know we may be seeing them a LOT more.
Maybe I am an optimist but things are starting looking bright. :grin:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I knew chibo was going to free miis at MLG, but the outcome actually surprises me. While a lot of the top players were bothered by free miis only a few players seem to drop MLG because of it. In fact most players are more concerned about the one stage ban rule rather than miis. Most pro players are worried about stages than banning characters. This is huge.

I am starting to see a shift in the way people are thinking about miis. If we give it time free miis will become more common in rulesets. For example, if EVO 2016 host smash 4 again than I am 99% sure they will have free miis. Once that happens even more locals will use them and find that they are not harmful to the scene. If we are lucky we may get ANOTHER national with free miis the time in between MLG and EVO.

While I am not sure if they will be standard, I know we may be seeing them a LOT more.
Maybe I am an optimist but things are starting looking bright. :grin:
You have far more faith than I.

Last time I saw a big ruleset I liked adopted, it was promptly dropped for dead immediately following EVO (both parts of that ruleset that I liked, really), and people began suggesting they never even remotely enjoyed playing the game with those rules on, even when they had minimal impact on the event.

But I hope you're right!

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
How can we contact MLG to show our support? I really, really appreciate them doing this and we can't let ZeRo and his brainless cronies ruin it for us/actual top level Mii players like DaPuffster and hopefully Mew2King.

Edit: Chibo was in charge of this? THANK YOU BASED CHIBO!!!

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
How can we contact MLG to show our support? I really, really appreciate them doing this and we can't let ZeRo and his brainless cronies ruin it for us/actual top level Mii players like DaPuffster and hopefully Mew2King.

Send them a friendly tweet on @CT_Chibo or @CLASHTournament.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
For those who don't know, M2K is going to MLG, Dapuffster cannot make it. M2K seems really hype about it! Dapuffster is helping out EE with information about Brawler through Twitter, which is also spreading information. If any of you have a Twitter I recommend retweeting that information.

twitter.com/dapuffster

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The point of Head-On Assault is to prove to your opponent that you know your spacing and timing so perfectly that you can meteor them on their attempt to ledge-snap.

It's the ultimate wasted moveslot for disrespect.

Epok

Smash Ace
The point of Head-On Assault is to prove to your opponent that you know your spacing and timing so perfectly that you can meteor them on their attempt to ledge-snap.

It's the ultimate wasted moveslot for disrespect.
I'm pretty sure that down throw > fair > head on assault works at low percent. I mean it's a bad move, but there are some tricks.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that down throw > fair > head on assault works at low percent. I mean it's a bad move, but there are some tricks.
I was basing my statement off of Dapuffster's tweet about "what's the point?"

I use the move on my 1111 Mid Size brawler, just to emphasize to people how painfully unplayable that character is.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Come on man, did you know he's like B tier or something with 1111? I'm from the internet, so I can confirm without even playing as him.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Come on man, did you know he's like B tier or something with 1111? I'm from the internet, so I can confirm without even playing as him.
1111 Brawler's something like Mac with better combos and worse kill options, and a recovery that is very marginally better in that it actually goes somewhere, though less safely.

I spend every single voting round of the community voted tier list voting Brawler down while they run a no-customs assumption. It's not that he's garbage, it's that playing 1111 feels a bit like playing Brawl Sheik compared to Smash4 Sheik. The gap in relevance and just feeling good to play is significant enough to turn all but the most dedicated player away.

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
The only character I accept being worse than 1111 Brawler is Samus (or an intentionally worse configuration like 100/100 3313 Brawler)

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Whoa, 1111 Brawler isn't that bad. He still racks up damage like crazy and has great mobility, he just needs a hard read to kill, likely with Fsmash.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I suggest everyone in favor for free miis run the FreeMii tag during any tournament that restricts miis, anthers ladder included. I played one anthers ladder match today using the tag, and it felt right for some reason.:estatic:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
So with MLG winding down, were Miis even relevant? Didn't get a chance to watch, alas.
Even thre isn't a single Mii in top 16. The popular names in Twitter like AceStar are still hating on Miis and want them gone.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Ah, more weak arguments, I love it!
as far i see that has always been the argument. It has been shaped into all sorts of different forms so at least one of them sounds reasonable enough to rally around.
"Screw Customs"=It's more convenient to do customs off and to treat mii specials as custom specials"
"Logistics"="more convenient to avoid the nightmare that is mii customization"
"Too many MU's"=more convenient to not learn how to fight miis
"JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK"=jank is a buzzword so you can't argue with it other than saying jank is a buzzword

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Even thre isn't a single Mii in top 16. The popular names in Twitter like AceStar are still hating on Miis and want them gone.
So? Wanting a character gone doesn't matter, stay salty.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So with MLG winding down, were Miis even relevant? Didn't get a chance to watch, alas.
There were very few Mii players. I believe we saw 2 Mii Brawlers, 2 Mii Gunners and no Swordfighters (except for Nyani's Friendly vs Chibo). M2K made to Champion's Winner Round using Brawler all the through apparently. Lost to Manny/Heero then completely dropped out. Regardless of the reason, I do appreciate he used the character he enjoyed and played his heart out. For this - Thank you M2k!

So... are Miis safe?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Come on Antonykun! Do not be like that! Have faith that rest of the Smash Community actually cares that a small minority plays these rare characters seriously.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Come on Antonykun! Do not be like that! Have faith that rest of the Smash Community actually cares that a small minority plays these rare characters seriously.
Mii's will never be "safe" unless someone decides to neuter their create a character qualities and even then cocanie logic runs so high on this community that even if they were proven with out a doubt to be fun and interesting characters with their mii specials, people will still want them banned/neuter just because they don't help them win

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Mii's will never be "safe" unless someone decides to neuter their create a character qualities and even then cocanie logic runs so high on this community that even if they were proven with out a doubt to be fun and interesting characters with their mii specials, people will still want them banned/neuter just because they don't help them win
Sigh yeah..., I know.

PopOff had Miis officially legal yesterday (before you need to gentleman's agreement) and our friend in the Mii Chat is a regular there. After one tournament, just one... players where getting mad by his Mii Gunner. Mind you, he (Blue Terror) didn't switch his Special Sets nor made to Grand Finals (MikeKirby, RiBBs, John Numbers, CaptAwesum, Jack were all at this tournament). He is thinking of dropping Mii Gunner and going back to Sonic because the community is too inconsistent. Majority of people vote for Mii Legals but a few including the TO outright hates them. I don't understand why.

People really don't care what affects they have other players. It is very toxic. No wonder other Fighting Communities look down on us.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
"This Mii Gunner main is considering dropping his salt-inducing heavily disliked character in favour of Sonic"

We don't know what we have until it gets taken away.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Well, obviously MVD got eliminated early because Miis were legal and are jank #BANNED

Edit: Whatever happened to allowing 2222 and 3333? Is the blind hatred really that strong?

Last edited:

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
I'll say this as concisely as I possibly can, in a way that will insult as many people as I can because I'm very good at it and everyone loves me[citation needed]:

Nobody wants to learn 'optional' match-ups. By avoiding these, they feel more confident about themselves.

If we ruin their confidence, we're the bad guys™.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
Breaking news!

Nairo has been stripped of his MLG win, and his performance within the tournament considered vacated/null-and-void.

It turns out he modified Mario's physics and specials, and this gave him what is known as 'jank customs' advantage over his opponents, otherwise known as 'unfair.'

...Wait, that's not what happened when he picked Dr. Mario, who modifies the base behavior of the regular Mario character to be something notably different despite obvious similarities? Are you sure?

He was allowed to keep his winnings and top players were okay with it?

Huh.

So, um... remind me why it's a problem when Miis do the same thing?

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
Miis and clones are not the same issue. Can we please not try to equivocate these, especially not in a snarky manner?

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's neat we ran Miis and the result was successful. That in itself should speak volumes. Sarcasm just makes us look like jackasses who need to rub the technological victory in people's faces to feel good.

There's a fine line between victim and petty. Walk it firmly.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Miis and clones are not the same issue. Can we please not try to equivocate these, especially not in a snarky manner?
It depends, since both of them aren't really issues if you delved into Mii size properties, while being similar to how clones function minus the range differences (Mario is faster and have less power-oriented attacks, but he keeps his reach while Miis have to sacrifice it). The range of values of movement options/range/frame data are well within proportions for the rest of the cast. Tiny miis are around Toon Link's size. Only 0/0 Brawler has the best air speed for absolutely abysmal range, while other movement properties never really get out of hand at all, just decently fast. (50/50 Mii Brawler's base run speed is ~1.6 I believe, and that's the highest of the Miis, Mario speed)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Where's Chibo? He could refuse to stream tournaments that don't have rulesets that have a way for a Mii to use sets other than 1111.
I've almost considered this lmao

Semi joking, but basically I don't want to punish people for having their own opinion. I don't mind if people are anti-Mii, as long as they have an actual legitimate reason for it, to which I've barely seen any on. I've already avoided a bunch of tournaments purposefully that don't have proper Mii rulings when I could have attended them (didn't have to do with streaming). People are welcome to support what they want, but TOs better be ready to back up their decisions.

Send them a friendly tweet on @CT_Chibo or @CLASHTournament.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom