• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northview High School Tourney (Jan 10th!!!!!)

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
NORTHVIEW HIGH SCHOOL TOURNAMENT​

Why
Well this is an idea that's been going around for a while between KingK, Dynomite, and Diablo. But i thought it would be good to give this event a seperate thread in order to boost it's visibility to Atl South.

Where
Northview High School
10625 Parsons Rd
Duluth , GA 30097
Trust me if anyone's gone to waba, this place isn't very far at ALL in comparison. It's a mere five minute drive more, three miles tops. If anything some people can carpool and go together, and then meet back at waba after the event.

When
December 13th
12:30 registration
1:30 - 7:00 tournament

What
A basic tournament with a bunch of newbie high school players along with a few out of schoolers including me, and whoever else is available to enter.

Who
All are available to attend this tournament, however, a recent event at the school caused out of school attendants to not be allowed to enter. A friend of mine, Ethan, hosted a tourney and a Out of School entrant wanted to join, but wasn't allowed. In anger he got in a fight with Ethan and maced him. If everything goes as planned, and Out of Schoolers are allowed to enter, then there would be a Pre-Registration needed for entrants. The way i would do this is anyone who wants to enter would give their full name, age, phone number, and address. The reason this would be needed is to contact you if something harmful or degrading to the school happens by your fault. I would guess that the information would be verified with a proof of identification. After that would pay pot and sign in fee normally.

NVHS SMASH TOURNAMENT

Rules and Regulations
• Trash talking is allowed but only to an extent.
• No Crying, have sportsmanship and congratulate the winner.
• No Stealing
• Outside food is allowed, but do not leave the tournament area if you’re still in brackets
• No fighting
• Every out of School smash player must have a proof of ID.
• Cost to enter the tournament area 10 dollars, the cost of entering is voided ONLY if you.
a. Bring a Wii set and Copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl
b. Bring a TV
c. Are helping with keeping Wii’s protected and keeping the Tournament ran smoothly.
Note: You are responsible for your Wii, Copy of Brawl, and/or TV. Please have some way to show that
It’s your Wii that’s being stationed. Northview High School holds no responsibility for any items that might be lost
or stolen.
• Designated areas will allow friendlies to be played unless there’s a large outcome of players. Refusal to give up a Wii station for
A tournament match results and in a warning, causing a backup in tournament play can possibly result in being kicked out of the
tournament with no refund.
• Schoolers don’t get it easy. Any person from NHVS caught causing a dispute over the tournament results or doing anything malicious
Will be kicked out of the tournament and possibly punished the next coming school day.
• For the singles tournament it will cost five dollars to enter. The winnings will be distributed like so.
A. 1st Place is 50 percent of total winnings
B. 2nd place is 30 percent of total winnings
C. 3rd place is 10 percent of total winnings
D. The last 10 percent goes to the supervisor of the tournament for coming in on the weekend to watch over the tournament.
• For the Doubles tournament it will cost 10 dollars to enter, preferably five dollars per person. The winnings will be distributed like so.
A. 1st place is 50 percent of total winnings
B. 2nd place is 30 percent of total winnings
C. 3rd place is 10 percent of total winnings
D. The last 10 percent goes to the supervisor of the tournament.
• For the Specials tournament it will cost 5 dollars to enter. Rules of the specials is to only use characters that were on the original
Super smash Brothers 64 (Fox, Link, Kirby, DK, Mario, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff, Ness, Pikachu)
A. 1st Place is 65 percent of total winnings
B. 2nd place is 35 percent of total winnings

Estimated Starting Time and Date
• Estimated Time of the tournament registration will be 12:30pm EST on December 16th 2008
• Place to meet will be the Auxiliary Gym. Signs will be posted from the front of NVHS down to the gym for directions
• Estimated Time of the tournament will be 1:30pm EST
• In the possibility that we run late and brackets have not begun at 1:30pm, you will be allowed to enter late. But only until brackets begin.
Estimated Ending Time
• We will be trying to leave the tournament by 5:30 to 6:00 pm. If the supervisor allows and Wii stations are still set up. We may have friendlies
and money matches until 6:30 to 7:00 pm. This is not set in stone, and we recommend using the free Wii station to do friendlies.

Tournament Rules
• Double elimination bracket.
• 3 Stocks.
• 7 minute timer.
• Items are set to "off" and "none".
• Set team attack to ON. (Doubles)
• Life Stealing is allowed. (Doubles)
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches. Sets are best of 5 for all "finals" matches.
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors, or by a coin flip.
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
o In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS or coin flip will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS/coinflip winner will get the last port.
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
• Falco's laser lock is banned.
• Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
• If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. This rule also applies to, but is not limited to: Swallocides and cargocides.
• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
• Excessive stalling is banned.
o Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. Projectile camping is not considered stalling. Ledge camping is not considered stalling if the opponent is within range of punishing a return to the stage.
• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
• Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overtime. Bowser's Klawcide, Swallocides, Cargocides, etc are exempt from this rule.
• Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Set format (In Order of Procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.
o Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.
o If both players agree, the first stage may be randomed from the starter list.
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set.
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

Stage Selection
The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counter picked later in the set. In the event that all stages are struck, the first stage will be randomly selected from the starter list.

Starter stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise

Counter pick stages
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Corneria
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Onett
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise

Banned stages
(All custom stages)
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Distant Planet
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Estimates
I’m going off some estimates of the money and time we will have to spend and the earnings we will get through the tournament. Once again this is
All estimated to none of these things can be certain. But it comes to show how much money can really be brought in from a simple tournament. I will guess with advertising to
Smash players from around the country, along with the people from your school. We can easily round up around 30 attendants. Now, if we buy pizza for 30 people, that will be 6 boxes.
Costing about 35 dollars if we do the 5.55 deal from Pizza Hut. There’s eight slices of pizza we sell for a dollar fifty, we will get a 6.50 profit per box. 39 dollars in all from selling pizza.
Each person pays 10 dollars to enter, that’s 339 dollars going to the school. Then for whoever supervises, if they all enter singles, that person gets 30 dollars from that, then if half of them enter doubles,
The supervisor will have another 30 dollars added. This is just a basic tournament will a low outcome of 30 people. So we should be expecting a haul in of about 350 dollars, and the supervisor would be getting paid
60 dollars for working through those hours.

The time period of the tournament is also calculated, we’re guessing that each match is about 3 minutes, with six sets we do six matches every three minutes. Seeing if everyone goes to the limit and place three
Matches a game. That’s about 10 minutes a round. Twelve people play at one time for 10 minutes, then comes another 12 for 10, and then another 6 for 10. It would take the preliminaries about 30 minutes. All 30 of those
People will have to play again since it’s double elimination. That’s another 30 minutes, in an hour we should only 14 people still playing, then 8, then 4, then 2. So I would guess about another 30 to 45 minutes for that. So approximately two hours for singles. Double is always short since you have to pay more to enter, so maybe 45 minutes to an hour for doubles. Special is pretty cheap and will be much more fun to play considering the circumstances, so I would expect the same outcome for singles as specials. Rounding up to about five hours, ending at approximately 6:00 pm. Getting everything set to leave and back organized will take another 30 minutes so the ending of the tournament will about seven.

Sets
1) KingK
2) Dynomite
3) Maehm
4) Noir
5) Noir
6) Noir
7)
8)
9)
10)

Tvs
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Multiple door fees? Really?
And what's this third event?
A brawl tournament only using characters from Smash64's roster?

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
Multiple door fees? Really?
And what's this third event?
A brawl tournament only using characters from Smash64's roster?
I accidentally put multiple door fees on there, that needs to be fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

and yes, only from 64 roster, i'm looking back on it, and i don't think any of the characters from n64 are top tier except for kirby.

KingK_tink

Smash Apprentice
Hey whos this kingk kid i want to talk to him about this O.o
i mean i know nothing

WOH ANTIC YOUR FREINDS WITH ETHAN!! O.O

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This could be cool to go to. I'll lurk until an official date is set and I'll talk with some of my friends around here.

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
Hey whos this kingk kid i want to talk to him about this O.o
i mean i know nothing

WOH ANTIC YOUR FREINDS WITH ETHAN!! O.O
yeah he used to come to waba all the time. And Reflex it would be a great idea for you to come, i'm sure that none of the people of NHS would enjoy it, but it would be a great experience.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
what u say about high schoolers? me and u right now! WIFI!!!

Reflex u should come to this. Please break the steriotype about how gamers live in their mom's basements are afraid of the light, are over competative, have no live, just play games, have a super high temper.. **** idk how the steriotype got this bad..
<3 u guys too much :(

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
for the people who want to come to this who don't come to this school, would you be okay giving information to me privately? I don't want information to be known to other smashers unless you don't mind doing it. But if you want to join this tournament, pre register by sending this information in this format.

name - XXX XXXXX

phone number - XXX XXX XXXX

Address - XXXX whatever hill
XXXXXXX, Ga, XXXXX

Age -

This information is confidential to me and the school boards

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
NHS is the asian high school, although idk about the jailbait rating of this school .. i only know ahs has a large group of asian girls trying to underdress each other/
maybe i'll visit, i know a few fos there, need to drop by before they graduate.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Cool, people are showing some intrest. NO BULL**** PLEASE AT MY SCHOOL.. not like u guys would anyways <3

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
Will there be asian jailbait to serve my guilty pleasure? If so I might try and get a ride. ;)
lol..wow best post in this thread.

@kingK- i'm sure that chances are you won't be getting any money out of the tourney xD

KingK_tink

Smash Apprentice
Antic when are you going to talk with my principal because me and dyno need to come with you when you do that me and dyno already put in a good word for you.

dbl post :) <3

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Antic when are you going to talk with my principal because me and dyno need to come with you when you do that me and dyno already put in a good word for you.

dbl post :) <3
A whole lot of crap happoned which blew my mind about hosting this. something about me and kingK having to rent out the school for that day even tho ALL the profit is going to go tourds our school... Greedy mother f..

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
A whole lot of crap happoned which blew my mind about hosting this. something about me and kingK having to rent out the school for that day even tho ALL the profit is going to go tourds our school... Greedy mother f..
yeah, normally these tournaments are done after school while people are there, it's not as hard. But yeah man it's alot of work to get all set up. When do you need me to come in?

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
SOoooooooo, who's thinking about coming? Dyno have you talked to the principal at all?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I don't see the problem.
I believe KingK was attempting at sarcasm, as he knows that if he can secure two Smashers simply due to the NHS's reputation...

it'll be a cinch, this tourney will have to be a success.

You know?

KingK_tink

Smash Apprentice
yeah, normally these tournaments are done after school while people are there, it's not as hard. But yeah man it's alot of work to get all set up. When do you need me to come in?
any day after school i guess... but confirm it to us first ho and they said we need like paper work on it first or something ask dyno

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I believe KingK was attempting at sarcasm, as he knows that if he can secure two Smashers simply due to the NHS's reputation...

it'll be a cinch, this tourney will have to be a success.

You know?
every cinch that has chalanged me to a moneymatch has lost 0/2 both 3 stocked.

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, rules and dates have been announced, does anyone want to go ahead and pre-register anything at all? It would be good so i can turn this information to the principal and he can check out on it.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
hmm, tv's might not be a prob since every room in our school has a TV, but we are at a disadvantage when it comes to wii's at my school. not every room has a wii.. none to be exact lol

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
hmm, tv's might not be a prob since every room in our school has a TV, but we are at a disadvantage when it comes to wii's at my school. not every room has a wii.. none to be exact lol
I can bring 3 Wii's at least if I go. Mine doesn't have everything unlocked yet though. I'll start bringing it to Waba when I go, so we can unlock ****. I have all the characters, but I don't have all the stages and the extra options.

KingK_tink

Smash Apprentice
we have over 50 rooms wich means over 50 tvs YAY :O

Top Bottom