• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No sympathy: Ike Video thread

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Some bracket matches from a tournament last month; fyi if I'm confident against someone I try to go for the swag option 9/10 sooooo I may have dropped some weird games.
Didn't know you could jab razor leaf.

HUGE mistake at 3:22. That was an easy bair kill. If you aren't confident enough to go for the bair, just stay on the ledge and bair his laggy tether recovery. Rinse repeat. Mistake at 3:25. Stick with bread and butter fthrow fair. 3:30 was nice, does that always work against tethers? Mistake at 3:35. That was a grab -> fthrow -> dair depending on DI.

Good overall. You land with an aerial every time. Wont work against better players. Needs more empty lands -> grab shielding opponent.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Didn't know you could jab razor leaf.

HUGE mistake at 3:22. That was an easy bair kill. If you aren't confident enough to go for the bair, just stay on the ledge and bair his laggy tether recovery. Rinse repeat. Mistake at 3:25. Stick with bread and butter fthrow fair. 3:30 was nice, does that always work against tethers? Mistake at 3:35. That was a grab -> fthrow -> dair depending on DI.

Good overall. You land with an aerial every time. Wont work against better players. Needs more empty lands -> grab shielding opponent.
I've been tomahawking more as of recently; if I know my opponent and the chars options OoS, landing with nair into jab is basically guaranteed. Also the weak hit of dair last long and gimps mad easy; I should have held the dair closer to the ledge. Also wanted to see if I could spike him again like I did earlier ;) that's where the swagnonstop nonsense kicks in.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Some bracket matches from a tournament last month; fyi if I'm confident against someone I try to go for the swag option 9/10 sooooo I may have dropped some weird games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_BcYobM2Rk Ike vs Ivy (winners round 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hm03X4fF_4 Ike vs Charizard (winners round 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwQ4r55GON4 Ike vs Kirby (losers round 4 I believe)

I didn't get to showcase much of the Ivy MU, but jabbing razor leaf into a grab is generally the best way to deal with the camping game. Got 5th at this tournament losing to N0ne a high level Falcon, and Coffeeblack another high level falcon. I'd say feel free to critique my set vs coffeeblack but I played uber sloppy : /

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcpi-oLO39w
Hey man, I only watched your game vs. Ivysaur, but I just noticed that you QD from ledge a bit too much, when you should be mixing it up with wavelands and aerials. The biggest offence is at 5:46, when you had a huge punish opportunity, but instead just charged QD in the air. And you can't excuse this with playing with style since QD'ing from ledge isn't exactly stylish :p. Overall, great Ike!

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Hey man, I only watched your game vs. Ivysaur, but I just noticed that you QD from ledge a bit too much, when you should be mixing it up with wavelands and aerials. The biggest offence is at 5:46, when you had a huge punish opportunity, but instead just charged QD in the air. And you can't excuse this with playing with style since QD'ing from ledge isn't exactly stylish :p. Overall, great Ike!
lel thanks, and I have no idea what was going through my head on some of the decisions I made; game 2 was just a massive troll/swag fest because as we were playing we were laughing at how stupid the stuff I do is. If I QD from the ledge too much it's because even against a lot of good players in my region that mixup seems to catch them off guard at times, and if I convert big it feels more comfortable to do especially vs the lower level players who let me get combos off it.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
More sets of myself at a mothly local tournament (in Toronto Canada), with a couple more match ups. Placed 5th losing in winners semis to Coffeeblack (ended up getting first) and losers quarters to Weon-x (who got second which is quite an upset).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-EFpDDyMzM Ike vs Fox, Winners Round 2 (a bit sloppy and the punishes could have been taken further, messed up simple tech but it is what it is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqSBqZMdSIk Ike vs Ganondorf, Winners Quarters (Haven't played him in a long time, this set was a lot of back an forth combos and swag. Had a ton of fun even though the matchup is definitely in my favour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rhmLaLFas Ike vs Falcon, Winners Semis (Almost conquered my demons. Played well games 1 and 4. The best I've ever played against Coffeeblack, feel like I can learn enough from this to know not to play nervous and do what I was doing through most of those two games more often. I generally like to play the approach/spacing game but Falcon's nair just lasts way to long to approach against with nair/fair/qd. No johns but after game 1 and being that close, I was nervous as hell XD)

Although it was off stream, I took game 1 off Weon-x, rage quit mid 4 stock game 2 (not mad, just trying to kill momentum), and SDed last stock each game 3. Probably the best I've ever played, even with all the simple technical errors vs Piz and most of my set vs Coffeeblack :)

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff, though! I will say this til the end of time, Ike has the easiest edgeguard on Squirtle ever. Eruption-Armor is so damn easy to use against waterfall. Even if you don't meteor him, you can very likely kill him from the top.

PS: Stealing your DI mix-up chain grab.

Last edited:

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff, though! I will say this til the end of time, Ike has the easiest edgeguard on Squirtle ever. Eruption-Armor is so damn easy to use against waterfall. Even if you don't meteor him, you can very likely kill him from the top.

PS: Stealing your DI mix-up chain grab.
Now that you mention it that's pretty good too. Just gave me an another idea for edge guarding Roys

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of double Ike's what do you guys think a good game plan is? A fellow ike boy and myself decided to start entering doubles. Only done friendlies, but generally our plan is to get them in between us and wreck them with fairs/nairs. If were on the same side one will charge QD while the other throws out a big hitbox, allowing the first ike to zip to the other side. I feel like having both Ike's together is awful as you have no
room to work with and end up "fighting your friends" instead of "fighting for them " :p

Other stuff we found was having a double fsmash edge guard, with one ike right at the edge and the other spaced behind him is absolutely terrifying. Can also do some janky stuff with eruption since the other ike can smack his teammate during the armor.

EDIT: @ ZiggaWaTT ZiggaWaTT in the first video on GHZ, that Bair 8 mins in was unreal. Killed the one guy off right with the normal hitbox, and the other guy off the left with the reverse hitbox. Badass!

Last edited:

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
@ Chef2 Chef2 im so confused. we played on GHZ once and that was on the second video after 8 mins O_o. do you mean the double utilt kill i had on yoshi's island @ 7:42 in the third video?

GmJn

Smash Ace
I may be able to get some fotage of my Ike but I think my opponent who was recording was rather lackluster, should i still send them in?

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I may be able to get some fotage of my Ike but I think my opponent who was recording was rather lackluster, should i still send them in?
That's up to you. We can still give feedback on your neutral game, use of combos, etc. I'd be more than happy to give some advice. Just tag me in the post if you'd like.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I watched the first two games of your set vs. CalmAnimal, and you really need more Uthrow. Against Bowser, the Fthrow pseudo chaingrab at 0% is nice, and your QD DI mixup regrabs are really fancy and cool, but Uthrow is better in most of these situations. There were far too many times where you Fthrew/Bthrew into a techchase position which you didn't get anything out of. The QD regrabs are really stylish, but they rely on bad DI, and I saw you string together like 4-5 grabs, but that only did about 22%! A single Uthrow into Nair does 3/4 that much, and gives you incredibly useful stage positioning, which means you'll likely get more hits in. Good gameplay though, and I love the Fsmashes haha.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to agree with the U-Throws. Probably best to use it around 20% or more I'd imagine. It's just generally better to toss Bowser up and play some beach ball.

I'll give you props with your choice in moves, you pick good attacks when you throw them out. But, your movement/positioning isn't very good and same with your defense. To beat Bowser you need to outpace him and bait him into whiffing, and you spent too much time not moving much. Defensively, you did a ton of spot dodge (which I assume is a habit from playing Calm before), which doesn't help when he does punish you for doing it and in a lot of the situations you spot dodged, yeah he could have tried to grab, but it's better to just hold onto the shield in a lot situations you did spot dodge. Often doing a WD out of shield against something that hit yourself either will put you safely away or punish most anything you need to.

You did QD waaay too much as ledge option, which was cute when you would land on stand from the air and do a JC, but otherwise you eventually will and had been punished for it. I'd mix it up with ledge hop wavelands, or most anything really. Just pick QD less and diversify that.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any sets recorded vs. Squirtle? That character is currently the bane of my existence. I feel like Ike can do well in the MU cause Squirtle is bad vs disjoint but I'd love to see how other Ikes are dealing with all squirtle's weird stuff

EDIT: just found sparkingzero's set from above, does anyone have anything else? Trying to get as much info as I can and I'll have some vids from our weekly next week

Last edited:

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any sets recorded vs. Squirtle? That character is currently the bane of my existence. I feel like Ike can do well in the MU cause Squirtle is bad vs disjoint but I'd love to see how other Ikes are dealing with all squirtle's weird stuff

EDIT: just found sparkingzero's set from above, does anyone have anything else? Trying to get as much info as I can and I'll have some vids from our weekly next week

WELL Squirtle in my opinion was super nerfed simply because Squirtle's side B can no longer jump or turn around. If you are facing a Squirtle who uses it in the neutral all the time you can simply time a grab, works great at low percents and gets great damage in. At mid-high percents you should be able to even counter it. I don't know the exact data on squirtle but he feels heavy enough to get some easy combos off of. Edge guarding can somewhat be tough, but thanks to @ King of Hoboz King of Hoboz , I've learned that erutption shuts Squirtle's recovery down. Try not to let Squirtle too close in your space otherwise he can do some sick combos. Ike has all the range so you really shouldn't be too afraid of Squirtle in the air as well. Hope it helps

EDIT: I just realized you may not even play Ike, woops.

Last edited:

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Ike's one of my many characters, been getting back into him and trying to trim down. I played ike at the tail end of 3.02, beginning of 3.5 and recently again now. Think I'm here to stay with him

Last edited:

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1o5ABaPt8&index=17&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65FtQMsH4oZb1qeB4I1y3D2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h6hyXJHOL8&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65FtQMsH4oZb1qeB4I1y3D2&t=1107

Two matches I had recorded 2 weeks ago I just got around to cutting. Second is some footage from a crew battle. Any critique appreciated, pretty new to ike in the grand scheme of things, I danced around picking a main for a really long time lol. Indy (the falcon) ended up getting second right under Abate at this tournament

Last edited:

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
WELL Squirtle in my opinion was super nerfed simply because Squirtle's side B can no longer jump or turn around. If you are facing a Squirtle who uses it in the neutral all the time you can simply time a grab, works great at low percents and gets great damage in. At mid-high percents you should be able to even counter it. I don't know the exact data on squirtle but he feels heavy enough to get some easy combos off of. Edge guarding can somewhat be tough, but thanks to @ King of Hoboz King of Hoboz , I've learned that erutption shuts Squirtle's recovery down. Try not to let Squirtle too close in your space otherwise he can do some sick combos. Ike has all the range so you really shouldn't be too afraid of Squirtle in the air as well. Hope it helps

EDIT: I just realized you may not even play Ike, woops.
I wish I had met you before I left houston, I had no one to teach me to Ike :(

GmJn

Smash Ace
I recorded a mach I got against someone in wifi play. Excuse if the play seems somewhat stuffy as the la was very low but not non-existent. I would love a comments about my play and will bring many vids here if you guys are willing. BTW I mean comments here not on the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0-upbNk8TI&feature=youtu.be
@ Starfall11 Starfall11 This is a different vid from the one I mentioned many weeks ago cause that guy never uploaded.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I will probably have more vids up later but for now can everyone watch the vid I left the link to earlier? If you need the link again here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0-upbNk8TI&feature=youtu.be
It's hard to critique Wi-fi matches since it's difficult to assess how much lag is affecting your gameplay - in terms of decision making in neutral you were pretty good, but your movement and tech skill generally seemed a little sluggish (again, I'm not sure if that's because of lag). Everyone has their own style of play and movement, but your punishes could've been optimized a bit if you moved faster after your hits; aside from that, I didn't see anything much else remarkable since the match was so brief and one-sided.

I decided to watch GF, since you and Kain had time to adjust to each other's playstyle. You played really well, your punish game was pretty tight and you chased him down pretty effectively when you got him in the air. Although you didn't get punished for it, I'd try to show more caution in the neutral game - Samus' defense is pretty formidable due to her CC options and up+B OoS, and it didn't seem like Kain did a good job utilizing either of those options. Most of Ike's approach options are pretty susceptible to CCs at low %s (especially NAir), so I was surprised that you went in so deep in the beginning of the match. Still, congrats on winning the tournament - it's great to see you being so successful.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I decided to watch GF, since you and Kain had time to adjust to each other's playstyle. You played really well, your punish game was pretty tight and you chased him down pretty effectively when you got him in the air. Although you didn't get punished for it, I'd try to show more caution in the neutral game - Samus' defense is pretty formidable due to her CC options and up+B OoS, and it didn't seem like Kain did a good job utilizing either of those options. Most of Ike's approach options are pretty susceptible to CCs at low %s (especially NAir), so I was surprised that you went in so deep in the beginning of the match. Still, congrats on winning the tournament - it's great to see you being so successful.
We've both played each other plenty of times, we're practically long time rivals. Yeah, glad you saw the GF then, it's probably my 'worst' set out of these. In WF, I destroy Kain. Normally I'm more cautious, I swear! Kain really doesn't pick either option and I don't really feel the need to cause of that, but I can see why I should be more aware. I would tell him if he weren't on a business trip for the rest of the month. I probably should have worked towards some more grabs early on.

PS: Get on the Skype Chat more, we're trying to do voice chat analysis on each other's sets and we need better Ikes to dish out advice.

Last edited:

GmJn

Smash Ace
Well @ metroid1117 metroid1117 you are right about my movement, that match had little lag. Thank you forthe input I'll have more matches up soon.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
4 games for me from LFs, I went my main the last game and got demolished lol. Trying to switch to full time Ike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BftQ-9bUv8#t=18949

First time bringing him out in singles, only played him in doubles before that. Pretty obviously haven't had much practice but I did better than I normally do vs that player (1-4 with him now, he took the last 4 sets we played including that one). Watching metroid after made me realize dsmash punishing sheik when she lands on the stage was a lot better than what I was doing most of the time.
Any advice is great though.

The first stock from game 1 was my first time playing ike in a few weeks lol.

Last edited:

GmJn

Smash Ace
Can someone please critique the videos I left before :sick: (couldn't find sad face)

Last edited:
Top Bottom