• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No sympathy: Ike Video thread

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Hello guys. I lost to a Sheik in GFs after a bracket reset (he beat me 3-0 in the first set; I was being dumb though) 3-2 two weeks ago. I thought I played it pretty well compared to my usual performance but made some critical mistakes that cost me the set. Could I please get some advice on it? Only linking the second GF set but if anyone is willing they could also do the first set...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRtK8k-CZE8#t=16128

The score isn't updated as this was a more laid back and informal tournament.

Appreciate all advice, the more the better... thanks in advance for anyone who checks this out. :)

Immortalike

Smash Rookie
Someone should make a combo vid of all the PM Ike swag...

I should also post stuff here more often. Still, I remember when I got into Brawl and saw the Ike community combo vid it got me super hyped and was sooooo sick, it made me want to do all the sick stuff they had done. With PM I feel like there's more room to do sick stuff with all the options opened up in comparison, and a community combo video would be super slick.
I remember those days, I was really into the whole Ike community and all the allisbrawl groups we made. Were you part of any of the groups on AiB?

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I remember those days, I was really into the whole Ike community and all the allisbrawl groups we made. Were you part of any of the groups on AiB?
Naw, unfortunately I got into brawl/pm a year an a half ago; but when I found out about competitive smash, those combo video compilations were a huge source of inspiration for me going forward. Has me nostalgic for the Brawl days :(

Immortalike

Smash Rookie
Not that I last recalled. They're quite last time I checked on AiB, but last time I was on brawl's wifi, San still played but that was over a year ago.

Immortalike

Smash Rookie
Curious, out of all the PM vids I've never seen anyone do the jab cancel combos like Ike did in brawl. I play plenty of PM now and use it effectively, anyone try it? Also, utilizing eruption as a defensive high percentage air juggle works wonders when ur off screen. I just saw more peeps using it recently and encourage its use. Works well for certain match ups in edge guarding too. Diddy kong is my favorite for this.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Man, I remember the forum days for Brawl Ike... I wonder if san and Bored still play.
san was the guy who introduced me to my regional scene, wouldn't have joined it without him (he did it over AiB while playing me, I didn't know there was a scene in my area.) Really cool dude.

Curious, out of all the PM vids I've never seen anyone do the jab cancel combos like Ike did in brawl. I play plenty of PM now and use it effectively, anyone try it? Also, utilizing eruption as a defensive high percentage air juggle works wonders when ur off screen. I just saw more peeps using it recently and encourage its use. Works well for certain match ups in edge guarding too. Diddy kong is my favorite for this.
Probably because it's prone to being crouch canceled. Haven't tried eruption besides doubles

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Man, I remember the forum days for Brawl Ike... I wonder if san and Bored still play.
San has been attending the Wii U events in Toronto Canada (at least our big ones). He's pretty good

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Saw Winner's Semis and it was generally really good. Did a lot right. Hell, I honestly need to practice match-up with Cincinatti's Link main, who destroyed me awhile back.

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/gamersabbey/b/652292109?t=1h11m45s
Here is my set vs a Lucas player, I know there are a bunch of things I did wrong and I know exactly what they are, just looking to see if there's anything else I should be doing. I tend to have a hard time turning around for ftilts and end up Smashing by accident on multiple occasions in the video and I flub a bunch of my edge guards. I also try to style which I probably shouldn't have with one of them. Also know I should try to use grab out of QD more just couldn't get my fingers to do what my head was telling them to do.

Hi_Im_Relaxing

Smash Apprentice
I have a few videos from The Royal Treatment death pool. Would appreciate some feedback!

I guess a quick intro. I'm Relax from Auburn, AL. I switched to ike from zard a couple months ago and been trying to improve my game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAovEiNlAW4
^ vs Whoomp(ivysaur) Kinda a stomp so not too much to say here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKoMwwhcOSk
^ vs DruggedFox(Falcon) High level melee player from GA. He was all over me and I was feeling scared/nervous

I will also put up a few videos from Dont Get Rekt 2 when they get uploaded to youtube. The twitch recording was kinda scattered so its hard to find the matches. Who knows.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I wouldn't mind taking over if Pyro doesn't care to maintain this thread.

Alternatively I'm also happy to submit all these vids to the top players thread if you don't care to do it yourself. More than happy to advocate for a good Ike main.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Hey Lordy, I'm curious why you banned Dreamland after the first game. Dreamland's high platforms allows us to chaingrab pretty well, the high ceiling allows us to survive Usmashes and Uairs, and we benefit more from the large blastzones than Fox, since we edgeguard him better than he edgeguards us and we have better recovery.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Hey Lordy, I'm curious why you banned Dreamland after the first game. Dreamland's high platforms allows us to chaingrab pretty well, the high ceiling allows us to survive Usmashes and Uairs, and we benefit more from the large blastzones than Fox, since we edgeguard him better than he edgeguards us and we have better recovery.
The stage is good on paper... not so good in practice. Fox is just too fast and is able to control the entire stage. Gimps hurt harder here and top blastzone really doesn't make a big difference.

It could be better for Ike, it's mostly preference, I don't think so though.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
There were so many times though in your match with Ginger where he landed on the platform and you flubbed a followup, but in Dreamland he wouldn't have landed on the platform. Btw you need more waveland on platform grabs, you never do that.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I always get hit by get up attack when I do that, so I usually don't. Need to work on platform pressure. Someone should do some frame advance on platform tech chases.

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
Try up air. It covers every option on most platforms and you have like a 10 frame window to make it work. Plus it does a good amount of damage and hits mostly upwards for positional advantage. You don't need to make any reads, just up air the center of the platform around 10-20 frames after they land.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I haven't played against a good Squirtle main since BH4, so take this with a huge grain of salt, but it looked like you kept underestimating the range of shell-shift BAir, so you kept getting nicked by the very end of it when you tried to out-space it. There were also times where you got juggled because of a stray DTilt; again, I'm not familiar with the match-up, but it looks as though you can CC both attacks since they're fairly low in KB. (At the very least, ASDI'ing down on DTilt will prevent you from getting combo'd and instead put you in a tech chase position.)

In terms of your punish game, it was best in game 1 because it looks like Samn wasn't accustomed to DI'ing properly against your juggles and BF's platforms allowed you to land and follow-up when he was in the air. In the other games though, Samn was able to position himself to have the option of using aerial shellshift to get him out of juggles; FD gave him plenty of space to work with while Yoshi's Island had the same effect even with the top platform. The Eruption edgeguard also became very telegraphed, since with proper positioning he was able to knock you out of it with Water Gun before recovering; you may want to mix it up with edgehogging or edgehop BAir/DAir if Squirtle tries to go low.

Again though, I'm not well-versed in this match-up at all, so you should take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I use Ike for the first three matches in the GF's in this video. Arby is currently ranked Number 1 in Arkansas. If anybody have any tips against Marth as opposed to what I was doing feel free to chime in. I will update more Ike vids (right now they are mostly team vids) when I get the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUpTJEc7wo

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Here's me vs Odds in grand finals. I played him in winner's finals and got 3-0'd switching to wolf in the last game (but was very rusty), went 2-3 in grands lol. Was close games.

https://youtu.be/pkWIOq_mQxE?t=5195

If anyone could give me some advice about the match it'd be cool. My wavedashing out of shield and in general could use a LOT of work. Other than that would be cool.

Loser's Finals vs a Wario is at 1:05:40. I also have winner's semis vs a ZSS but don't want to bother looking for it now, maybe will add it later. Wario match was 3-2, lost games two and three and realized I was being a dumbass lol.

Winner's Finals: 32:35. Thought about it and adapted better in grands so I prefer that one for critique (if I get any).

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
The first match is incomprehensible due to the recording cutting out constantly. The second game wasn't too interesting. Odds was recovering poorly. You weren't going for many grabs which is strange because Bowser is easy to grab and is destroyed by them.

During the third game:
On FoD you can wall jump off the bottom and make it back.
I didn't understand why you were wavedashing out of QD at the end there. Odds wasn't afraid of what you could do and can just knock you out of QD when you get close so it really wasn't a threatening thing. You seemed more focus on your tech than on what Odds was doing and thus he was able to just jump in with fair.

On the 4th game it was really obvious you weren't using Ike's grab game at all. I think you got a grab like once in that game. There were situations that could have turned out better had you thought about them more. When Odds was at his second to last stock there as a point where you chased on the moving platform with a uair, but Odds was in shield. Had you thought about Odds going into shield what you could have done is just jump up there and grab him when he thought you would attack. There were a lot of times where Odds would go into shield and you would just attack his shield which is a poo decision due to the lag on Ike's attacks.

For the final game, you had the same issue of a lack of grabs and attacking shield. You actually got Odds so conditioned to shielding your attacks I doubt he was thinking much about it. If you had thrown in some tomahawk to grab, or dash behind to grab, or some other type of simply mind game it could have really turned things around. When you do land a grab you can easily get Odds into the air where you pretty much would win every time in any air to air combat, and you were good at comboing him in the air, but you just weren't doing a lot to get him there.

Last edited:

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Very right about my grab game, I'll work on using them. Haven't been used to jump canceling them out of dash yet but working on it now. Thanks for the advice Commandah.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Here's me vs Odds in grand finals. I played him in winner's finals and got 3-0'd switching to wolf in the last game (but was very rusty), went 2-3 in grands lol. Was close games.

https://youtu.be/pkWIOq_mQxE?t=5195

If anyone could give me some advice about the match it'd be cool. My wavedashing out of shield and in general could use a LOT of work. Other than that would be cool.

Loser's Finals vs a Wario is at 1:05:40. I also have winner's semis vs a ZSS but don't want to bother looking for it now, maybe will add it later. Wario match was 3-2, lost games two and three and realized I was being a ******* lol.

Winner's Finals: 32:35. Thought about it and adapted better in grands so I prefer that one for critique (if I get any).
I didn't watch majority of the fights but the clips that I did see once you hit them you want to space for some reason. When Ike gets a hit GET IN THEREEEEEE! He's like +1000000 on everything once he hit's them one top of his range it's just insane. He really is a memento monster. AA on Bowser leads to a safe grab that's almost garunteed, even with a dashing Jump Cancel grab. That can lead to some nice damage.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman

Here's my Ike at S@H about 4 weeks ago. I ended up going 3-0 after my Samus fell twice to Arby's Falcon

Also some team Ike/Roy action with me and my bro. This was at MKS9, the first 3.6 tourney in Arkansas (Like three days after 3.6 dropped):

And Grand Finals:

Last edited:

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
So I'm still pretty new to being an Ike main (switched from Marth about two months ago) and fairly new to the competitive scene (~5 months since my first tournament), and I got bodied on stream at the last tournament I went to. I would love some feedback my fledgling Ike play.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NBsdniInUms

Since this tournament I've spent a lot of time practicing my spacie chaingrabs, so I don't drop them quite as often anymore, but I don't really know at what percentage to stop the chaingrabs and what to do from there. I've also practiced QD JC RAR a lot, so I don't automatically and predictably do it in between stocks anymore. Thanks in advance, radiant heroes.

metroid1117

Smash Master
This was awhile ago, but I got 9th at WTFox for PM and this is the set that put me into that spot.

Thoughts? @ metroid1117 metroid1117 and everyone else?
Hey Hoboz, I was out of town for LTC3 and didn't see this until Monday, but forgot to watch until now lol. The first match went really well for you, as well as the start of the 2nd match, but you almost choked it away at the end. Even so, I think you played fine except that you missed some slight optimizations like FAir'ing instead of going for reverse BAirs (6:35 and 8:06) or QD RAR BAirs out of UThrow (8:12 and maybe something at 9:06). I wouldn't recommend QD USmashes unless the opponent likes to spotdodge in fear of the JC grab, but it seems like Iori was outspacing the QD approaches instead of rolling/spotdodging them. Good win though, that ending was really tense lol.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I probably need to rework my punish game on Falcon with the 3.6 changes. By the way, are you going to Show Me Your Moves 16? I'm considering it.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks, I probably need to rework my punish game on Falcon with the 3.6 changes. By the way, are you going to Show Me Your Moves 16? I'm considering it.
It depends if PM/Melee singles will be run on Saturday or Sunday, but I'll also have to see how school is going during that week =/.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It depends if PM/Melee singles will be run on Saturday or Sunday, but I'll also have to see how school is going during that week =/.
I'm strongly considering writing a script in which a teacher who is totally not metroid [he's martroid] reforms a group of troublesome inner city kids through the power of smash

Also their grades go up somehow because videogames

Commander

Smash Ace
Their grades go up because Smash teaches them to be comfortable with failure. Even though they fail, they learn they can work hard to overcome their weaknesses and grow to be better students, which leads them to apply that mentality to their school work.

Immortalike

Smash Rookie
idk why its not uploaded on here but Lordy posted a DAMN good compilation video

Last edited:
Top Bottom