• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No sympathy: Ike Video thread

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
You didn't Trikeceratops hard enough. You're gonna go extinct playing like that.

MLGF

Smash Lord
God damn...that's... so...OBVIOUS OF COURSE!
HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO STUPID!?

I've been such a fool for so long!
And now, my eyes are open! I see the world, I have reached MY FINAL FORM.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Didn't have time to watch, I'm finally back from vacation and settled fully. I'll see what I can give you advice wise that Metroid hasn't.

I use to have a lot of problems with this match-up personally (and I'm kind of waiting for a re-match with Village Mascot to see whether I'm fully over that or not), but I got some advice from a Diddy play about his Boomerang that's really helpful to know.
1) His Boomerang is most effective when it hits you up close, otherwise it doesn't lead into a max punish and can even be CC'd sometimes.
2) The most optimal time to approach is when the Boomerang is returning to Link. That is when the projectile is weakest, and you're fast enough to land a hit and avoid it while continuing a combo.

From watching Metroid's older matches, I'd say Link is an important match-up to understand your opponent's 'pressured' habits in particular. I've managed to make my local Link player quit playing Link against me because always was able to predict what his up close options were. He had huge habits of between Shield Grab, Jab Grabs, and other things like that. I personally find it really easy to scary him (and maybe Link players in general) with disruptive Jabs and well-timed Spot Dodges against reactions. Link can't do anything besides CC -> ?? (I have no idea what would be appropriate here) against a single jab at close range.
Though, don't get too gutsy, Link's up close options are badish, but if he connects, it can be really punishing.

So, general rule of thumb: Be really close to Link or really far from him, stick outside of the Midrange.

Hopefully I'll finally have matches of myself after Facebook Official! I really want to grow out from my current Lab-Monster phase.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun

Quaza

Smash Cadet
Here's one video out of like 5 for a recent bracket. Please rip my Ike apart
You're spacing and use of U-tilt are really good. But you are too content returning to neutral after getting a hit. You have to maximize your punishes. Ike is a rushdown character. He can chase his opponent all over the stage to get follow ups after confirming a hit. You have to chase more. Also you overuse retreating aerials. They are crazy good at times but also easy to punish when telegraphed.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I think I figured what happened. His jab flurry was about to push himself off stage, so he did a standing turn around, then held away from the stage to fall off.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I'm on stream for once. . . it's a really bad stream.

Here's the link and time frames. The Stream

2:47:00 - 2:53:00 = Ike vs Toon Link
2:54:00 - 3:00:00 = Ike vs Shiek/Pit
3:02:00 - 3:10:00 = Ike vs Jigglypuff (I lost to Jiggs cause game 1 I SD twice - the second time was when I slipped off the stage and got stage spiked. Didn't mean to go off stage at all)
3:22:00 - 3:24:20 - Ike vs Falco (Friendly)
3:40:00 - 3:56:00 - Ike vs Fox

Apologies if you can't even tell what's going on.

Last edited:

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
http://www.twitch.tv/houstongameguys/b/589211924

Dropping off some Ike play 3.5 of course. Itll edit the posts when they are on Youtube. Im all over the archive including the Crew Battle at the end. Enjoy
I just got around to watching this finally. I lol'd at that Fox picking FD on you at like 1:46:00ish. Where was his brain? UpThrows were brutal.

Good stuff though, Spark. I wish there was more 3.5 Ike footage around.

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
I just got around to watching this finally. I lol'd at that Fox picking FD on you at like 1:46:00ish. Where was his brain? UpThrows were brutal.

Good stuff though, Spark. I wish there was more 3.5 Ike footage around.
Thanks alot man I do it for my friends :)
As far as the Fox player, yeah..I don't know why either hahaha. I told him afterwards that was a bad choice.

Leirkov

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/long_island_smash/b/601422960?t=44m06s (First two matches, ignore my awful play on Lucario. Rusty johns :D)

Looking for critique. Some things I've been able to find in my own play was that:
- Abused counter a lot for nothing.
- Lots of tech flubs (every non-QDJC usmash was a tech flub)
- Too dair happy at times.

And as well as this set: http://www.twitch.tv/long_island_smash/b/601351269?t=3h19m50s

From this set I could gather:
- Counter abuse again
- Questionable recovery options at times?
- Lack of uthrow at lower percents for juggles with nair/uair
- How2DI Marth throws?
- 2 Fsmash input errors

Felt like some of the matches I showed pretty good promise but I made a lot of bad mistakes that overrode that.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Good stuff.

Try using uair for platform covering. A short hop uair from center stage covers tech center stage, no tech and tech in place. Nair is good but uair sets up for juggles so well that it's a better option imo

Last edited:

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff.

Try using uair for platform covering. A short hop uair from center stage covers tech center stage, no tech and tech in place. Nair is good but uair sets up for juggles so well so it's a better option imo
Yeah thanks recently I've been trying up air more because nair would cover a few options as well but not as safe imo. Thanks dude

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Someone should make a combo vid of all the PM Ike swag...

I should also post stuff here more often. Still, I remember when I got into Brawl and saw the Ike community combo vid it got me super hyped and was sooooo sick, it made me want to do all the sick stuff they had done. With PM I feel like there's more room to do sick stuff with all the options opened up in comparison, and a community combo video would be super slick.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Great gameplay. A small thing I noticed is there were a few situations where you dropped your combo but a Utilt could've continued it. I'm pretty sure I saw almost no Utilts in that set? Try to include that move in your gameplay a bit more, but still you have an amazing Ike.

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
Great gameplay. A small thing I noticed is there were a few situations where you dropped your combo but a Utilt could've continued it. I'm pretty sure I saw almost no Utilts in that set? Try to include that move in your gameplay a bit more, but still you have an amazing Ike.
Thanks dude yeah I definitely saw it after reviewing the video myself . Thank you again

Quaza

Smash Cadet
Your pressure is crazy good. Definitely something I struggle with. Usually I just end up backing up and spacing out my opponent but you did a great job of staying on top of him.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Some bracket matches from a tournament last month; fyi if I'm confident against someone I try to go for the swag option 9/10 sooooo I may have dropped some weird games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_BcYobM2Rk Ike vs Ivy (winners round 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hm03X4fF_4 Ike vs Charizard (winners round 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwQ4r55GON4 Ike vs Kirby (losers round 4 I believe)

I didn't get to showcase much of the Ivy MU, but jabbing razor leaf into a grab is generally the best way to deal with the camping game. Got 5th at this tournament losing to N0ne a high level Falcon, and Coffeeblack another high level falcon. I'd say feel free to critique my set vs coffeeblack but I played uber sloppy : /

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcpi-oLO39w

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Some bracket matches from a tournament last month; fyi if I'm confident against someone I try to go for the swag option 9/10 sooooo I may have dropped some weird games.
Dude, if you're not going for the swag, you're doing it wrong.
I've always had a lot of trouble with Kirby for whatever reason, so I'm going to watch your sets with Tetraflora many times. Not a matchup I've seen like ever.

Top Bottom