• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Parasol High Jump Custom?

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Xaltis here, for those of you who don't know me, I used Peach to beat Myran, the best solo Olimar main right now at FL's national Paragon. I was trying to bring Peach back as a secondary to help me in some match ups.

Before I come in getting upset, I just wanna ask what happened to this custom move? This is one of Peach's best customs and it's not in any move set for EVO. Why is this?

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
Its probably because we didn't really explore customs even when they asked for sets. I still haven't really sunk time into them, but I'm not really a believer in high jump either though. I like regular parasol open as a kill option and being able to open and close the parasol, as well as just drifting down can be useful for mixing up recoveries.

I'm curious though. What makes you say its one of her best customs?

Oh and thanks for showing off peach at a national <3

Last edited:

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I do what I can lol

Because Peach has problems recovering from below the ledge, as her recovery doesn't go that high up. Parasol High Jump almost recovers all the way from bubble below the stage. That's REALLY freaking good and it's fast, so it's kinda like Rosalina's up B. I'm really dissapointed it's not in a pre set. Because I really wanted to use it. I hate how we're not doing customs the right way...

Jarb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6167-0433
I'd also be hesistant to give up the uses of the default up b for either of the customs. When I die as Peach, it is rarely due to poor vertical recovery.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Truthfully I prefer light parasol. It gives much more height and some good aerial momentum.

Standard parasol is still the overall best for me.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Her regular up B true combos from dtilt at high % and sometimes kills. It's also very difficult to spike peach when she's sailing with the parasol and when your opponent hits it, it has insane knock back. It's one of those moves in this game that you probably don't want to trade out for another move. It's pretty good on it's on and I think Peach needs it.

btw thanks for introducing yourself. I personally have problems with Olimar with all my characters (Mario, Wario, ROB) but I haven't explored Peach enough in this match up. If your match was streamed and recorded I definitely wanna study it. *searches*

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm personally not sold on High Jump Parasol - the lack of hitbox (both during and after) and sacrifice in horiztonal recovery, coupled with the fact you can't mix things up by opening/closing the Parasol should you need to land on the stage is very off-putting.

I can definitely understand why you'd want to use it if you use Rosalina as well (due to similarities in Up + B) and I could maybe see a use if you're fighting someone who can Dair through Normal Parasol like MegaMan or G&W but I personally don't think that the extra height you get from High Jump is worth trading in for Normal Parasol which is has a hitbox which can KO/act defensively (it also allows you to mix up your recovery - you can throw it out if your opponent gets too close and knock them away when trying to recover, meaning you don't always have to go for the ledge) and offers better horizontal recovery

I'm surprised there isn't at least one set up that has High Jump though (I would have definitely swapped out one that had Flower Bomber set on because imo Flower Bomber is terrible)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
The only custom I would use in a custom environment is sleepy toad. Peach's other moves are already good on their own and better than the alts imo.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Truthfully I prefer light parasol. It gives much more height and some good aerial momentum.
I have tried out both Light Parasol and High Parasol. Light Parasol is no good at all. The Up B itself has not hitbox. The only hitbox that's protecting is when the parasol is open but that's not nearly enough to cover her. Besides, you will have to close the parasol in order to get any range out of it. All of this leaves her very vulnerable. It was incredibly easy for my opponents to gimp, they didn't even have to try. One running Bair off-stage or Dair etc. was more than enough to kill me.

High Parasol was better than I thought. Now I'll admit my opponents didn't always actively try to abuse High Parasol's weakness and aggressively edgegaurd me, but even when they tried they couldn't succeed. High Parasol is really fast. Like mentioned before, it's similar to Rosalina's and Pit's UpB. Despite the fact that they're slower and sometimes even miss the ledge, even these UpB's tend to go unpunished often. Peach's UpB may not change the angle as freely as they can, but it's A LOT faster and thus much harder to gimp.

However, Default UpB's recovery is already pretty good too. When using High Parasol, I went for edgeguards a lot and I would often make it back to the stage safely. However, each time I made it back with High Parasol I felt I also could have made it back with default Parasol too. Default Parasol has very some decent range after all. Besides, even though I don't use UpB as a killing mode very frequently, I still do use it on occasion so it's a nice tool to have. I'm not sure if I'd like to give that away.

Nonetheless, I support High Parasol. Peach's edgeguarding is pretty strong. By using High Parasol we may find even more powerful edgeguarding set-ups that could boost her game. Having a higher recovery could definitely imrpove her game in certain aspects. I think there are a few sets that use Light Parasol: I would suggest to at least replace Light Parasol with High Parasol.

The only custom I would use in a custom environment is sleepy toad. Peach's other moves are already good on their own and better than the alts imo.
There is a set that uses 2111 but it really irks me. IMO Sleepy Toad is not even that much better (if better) than Toad because of it's horrific frame data, but that is arguable. However, even if you would find it better, wasting one set for only Toad does not seem like a good idea. Toad is still just Toad. None of the Toad are good moves (it's a counter after all). Peach has a lot of interesting customs, she can't afford to waste any slots.

(This wasn't specifically directed to you btw. Just kinda crossed my mind))

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
High Parasol is one of those customs I think can be switched in and out with the default without it majorly hindering anything like Flower Bomber, lol. It's all up to preference, but for me I don't ever find myself dying due to poor vertical recovery. I personally prefer the great extra perks of the default Parasol; the great horizontal coverage allowing you to recover from almost anywhere, the active protective hitboxes throughout the entire move, controlling your movement, and a potential KO option. The vertical range on the default isn't too shabby either, imo.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
There is a set that uses 2111 but it really irks me. IMO Sleepy Toad is not even that much better (if better) than Toad because of it's horrific frame data, but that is arguable. However, even if you would find it better, wasting one set for only Toad does not seem like a good idea. Toad is still just Toad. None of the Toad are good moves (it's a counter after all). Peach has a lot of interesting customs, she can't afford to waste any slots.
Sleepy toad does have bad frame data but so does vanilla Toad imo. Pretty similar to your argument about why regular Parasol is decent on it's on but the reverse. I don't find myself using toad that much because if missed, it's slow enough for anyone to react and punish. So I use it sparingly when I absolutely know it's gonna land. That's why I like sleepy toad because when I do make that hard read I get a huge reward for it.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
So looks like I'm using 2212 when I use Peach, all this talk about being able to combo into up B and possibly kill makes me happy. If it goes well then I will be okay with the 2212 set.

Top Bottom