• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No one i know wants to go to pound 5...but screw my friends i'm going anyway

justice~

Smash Rookie
and its too far for me to justify/afford going/staying over by myself - i guess i'm stuck just watching the livestream again *sigh* i've gotta get to know brawl/melee people in my area who like to travel, all my friends are lazy

anybody else having this problem?

justice~

Smash Rookie
With the help of a Buddy Pass, a $400 plane ticket becomes like $133. :) Ask around in your family to see if anyone has connections to airlines.
thanks for the advice! i asked around for a while and it seems like it can work, my only issue now is going alone, i mean i've always been into/not horrible at brawl+melee but never really been to any big events - i know about all the pros from watching them online, and getting to see them play in person/playing against whoever i can in friendlies/mm's would be my main reason for wanting to go (also, is armada going to this as well as genesis 2?)

is everybody friendly or at least open to new people getting involved in the competitive scene? i'd love to go to more of these big tourneys at least for the fun+hype, but i've had mixed experiences with things like this (ie, either it being fine+people being nice or everyone shunning the noobs)

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
I can fully attest to this event being entirely worth it. The pros are cool and will talk to you/play you as long as you're not awkward or weird or anything. and if worst comes to worst, just hang out with us from SoCal!

As far as getting a room and everything, just get a room with random people. Then again, the only reason I can do this is because I kinda feel at home with smashers that I've not met. It all depends on you though, but here's a link to blog about someone who is looking for room mates. http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=101966

I hope this helps, I'm kinda distracted with the Super Bowl.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Honestly, if you haven't been to any tournaments yet, I would actually recommend holding off on Pound just because the costs can be pretty steep. Attend some local tournaments and get to know the community a little better, and then the next time there's a big tourney, you won't feel so awkward. Even if you go alone, you'll usually recognize a few faces of people from previous tournaments, and you'll be more comfortable meeting new Smashers.

Check out the Regional Forums.

justice~

Smash Rookie
I can fully attest to this event being entirely worth it. The pros are cool and will talk to you/play you as long as you're not awkward or weird or anything. and if worst comes to worst, just hang out with us from SoCal!

As far as getting a room and everything, just get a room with random people. Then again, the only reason I can do this is because I kinda feel at home with smashers that I've not met. It all depends on you though, but here's a link to blog about someone who is looking for room mates. http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=101966

I hope this helps, I'm kinda distracted with the Super Bowl.
This made me pretty excited for going :D

Honestly, if you haven't been to any tournaments yet, I would actually recommend holding off on Pound just because the costs can be pretty steep. Attend some local tournaments and get to know the community a little better, and then the next time there's a big tourney, you won't feel so awkward. Even if you go alone, you'll usually recognize a few faces of people from previous tournaments, and you'll be more comfortable meeting new Smashers.

Check out the Regional Forums.
but then this put me back on the fence - i definitely want to look into local tourneys though

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
100% be realistic with yourself. flying alone to your first tournament where you know no one should seem like a mistake. i dont know how old you are but your age may make it an obvious mistake. i would find a closer, local tournament within driving distance and attend it - make friends and smash connections, get better, pay way less money for gas instead of a flight, pay less money to enter the tournament, etc. stay in touch with them here and on facebook or whatever and make plans to go to bigger tournaments with them later.

you may decide that you want to go to pound 5, but if it seems daunting there is a reason lol

justice~

Smash Rookie
BIG EDIT: forget all this, i'm going, but just for sunday because i cant afford to stay over, but can get a good rate going by train - i'll take Zekeishere's advice that its definitely worth it to go, i'm sure i'll meet some cool people there :D

time to find people to mm...

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
What city and state do you live in? For some people, going to an international tournament like Pound V isn't exactly a "bad idea" if the person lives in a state where Smash tournaments are illegal like Alaska and Utah for example so if Justice lives in one of those states then going to Pound V by train isn't exactly a bad idea since he has few options.

Also what game do you play, Justice? Melee or Brawl? Some cities and states have better scenes for one game than the other.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
BIG EDIT: forget all this, i'm going, but just for sunday because i cant afford to stay over, but can get a good rate going by train - i'll take Zekeishere's advice that its definitely worth it to go, i'm sure i'll meet some cool people there :D

time to find people to mm...

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

Top Bottom