• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more streaming videos: The Bill S.978 and why we can't put matches up any more

NNID
Budget_Player
Title is slightly alarmist. This has not been enacted yet, but if it were, it would be a complete catastrophe. Repost from the melee/64 boards:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306205

So I didn't see anyone bring this up so I thought I share this here since I first saw this on the SRK home

http://shoryuken.com/2011/06/29/trolling-the-stream-by-ultradavid/

Just read the whole thing and now image what happen to people like Chain Ace, HomeMadeWaffle, Tai and many other uploaders

The best thing to do now is send a letter to explain why you disagree with this.

Even Nintendo agrees to let us upload/stream their games like Melee/Brawl

The USA Governament would be like "no you can not"

so better get those videos now or just try to do something about it

(sorry I'm kinda lacking energy to say anymore of this but hopefully you read all this)

Discuss
Very relevant:

Firstly, I invite everyone here to my thread: here about technology and law, particularly copyright. Please do take the opportunity to read the first post. I think you'll find it enlightening and informative.

There are a lot of misconceptions that are pervasive in this topic. One of the most common is the sentiment similar to what Xanatos posted. It essentially says: "If you're just a small fry, or if you're not profiting from the video, then it's perfectly legal."

This is false. Copyright makes no such distinction. The likenesses of the characters in Melee and Brawl are both copyrighted. Reproducing these images constitutes copyright infringement*. If you want to test this, try reproducing images of Mickey Mouse that Disney finds objectionable and see what happens. The fact that you do not frequently get arrested for something does not make it legal, just like speeding on the highway.

The harm in creating such insanely high penalties such as a felony for copyright infringement is many:

1) Everyone is guilty. You are all copyright infringers. You do so on a daily basis, and if you think you don't then you're mistaken.

2) Selective enforcement. The consequence to having a law where everyone is guilty is that the powerful are able to persecute victims for unrelated issues. Everyone knows this phenomenon in the world of car speeding (and other car laws). The term "Driving While Black" comes to mind, where racist police persecute otherwise innocent black drivers under overly broad laws. Everyone is guilty of automotive law breaking, and the police are free to arrest whoever they want.

3) Chilling effects. This will naturally lead to less online streaming. Today when you put a video out online you might say: "There is a 1% chance that someone will claim it is infringing their copyright, and my video is taken down." This is a reasonable risk to undertake.

Under S.B.978 your new proposition is "There is a 1% chance that someone will claim my video infringes their copyright and I am arrested, put in prison, lose my job, and face felony criminal charges". This is a dangerous proposition! Many people will simply cease to create and release videos which are otherwise perfectly legitimate and valid.

EDIT:
4) Ambiguity in infringement. The law is far from black and white when it comes to copyright. There are many vagaries built into the system which only a judge can decide, and no current precedent exists**. Streaming a video game match online is of dubious legality. Everyone here should remember that just last year, MLG was unable to stream Brawl matches for undisclosed legal reasons. This is because even the THREAT of a lawsuit is scary enough to deter an organization away from broadcasting Brawl. Now imagine if Sundance himself were criminally liable under felony charges. Do you think that he and the multitude of others like him would choose to stream? No way.

Good additional information can of course be found via the Electronic Frontier Foundation
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/felony-penalties-proposed-illegal-streaming-senate

*= To the extend not allowed by Fair Use
**= Activision-Blizzard have already been in legal actions with KeSPA over this same issue, on whether KeSPA is allowed to stream SC:BW matches. Though this is of course in South Korean jurisdictions only.
This is a big ****ing deal and we should really fight this bill. Everyone. All the gaming communities.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
This is BS.

It's a good thing I live in Canada and we'd never follow the US's lead on any--

Oh ****.

Okuser

Smash Ace
This bill will be a good thing, it's not fair to be able to publicly broadcast somebodies copyrighted material.

NNID
Budget_Player
This bill will be a good thing, it's not fair to be able to publicly broadcast somebodies copyrighted material.
...You do realize that this includes everything from caricatures to personal reproductions to tournament video, right?

If you draw fan art of a Xenomorph, you are infringing upon copyright laws. If you put up a painting of Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse on the side of your building, you are violating Disney's copyright. If you make a video of that painting you are still in violation of said rights.

Nintendo owns the rights to the entire contents of the Super Smash Bros franchise, more or less. This means that any video containing smash that doesn't fall under fair use (and lemme tell ya, fair use is really shaky ground to stand on here) is a copyright violation.

This law would mean the end of VGBC's streams. The end of being able to watch grand finals of major tournaments anything but live. The end of ****ing combo videos. Well, at least if people didn't find some loophole like hosting in europe or something. Either way, this law is bad news.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It means no more TAS runs.
No more fan games.
Possibly no more music remixes.

This bill has potential that is far wider reaching than just videos.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Youtube in general will be ****ed. No amvs, no self made anything basically. Hopefully it'll get shot down like California did when they wanted to ban violent videogames.

NNID
Budget_Player
who the **** would agree to this bill? haters?
We're not the intended target, it's just that the wording is incredibly vague. The target is things like youtube videos of people lip-synching copyrighted music, or covers, or... You get the point. We just got caught in the crossfire.

Republicans.
It's bipartisan.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I found a link about someone talking about the bill. I dunno if I'm allow to post the YouTube link of someone talking about it or not so I'll wait for approval first.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I've done research as far as the bill goes and finally found an article concerning about video game live streams. Hopefully this will clear that mess up. Oddly the link has a words that is censored so I don't think I can post it.

Actually I'll post what the article says from the link. If anyone wants the link to it you can message me. I had to edit the guys name due to how his last name is spelled.

June 10, 2011
Setting the record straight on the Protect IP Act
by Communications Team

There have been a lot of stories in the news the past few weeks about two bills that Senator C--ns have cosponsored – the PROTECT IP Act (S. 968) and a bill introduced by Senator Klobuchar (S. 978) – to provide felony penalties for those who illegally consume copyrighted material. Unfortunately, few of them have focused on how these bills will help protect American jobs and strengthen enforcement of copyright and trademark.

Instead, a slew of misinformation about Senator Klobuchar’s bill has led many to believe – erroneously – that it would make posting certain content online, on sites such as YouTube, illegal. Other reports claim that the PROTECT IP Act will legalize online censorship of political, artistic, or expressive speech. These claims are false, and it’s time to set the record straight.

Senator Klobuchar’s online streaming bill, S. 978, does not criminalize any conduct that is not already illegal. This bill would provide that those who engage in piracy willfully and for profit will be held to the same standards — including potential felony charges — regardless of whether they engage in that piracy by selling bootlegs on the street corner or providing access to the streaming of copyrighted material over the internet. It is a way of strengthening the intellectual property laws we already have, not expanding them to cover new material.

Asked about the bill and the rumors swirling around it, Chris said: “This is a simple bill and it is unfortunate that it has been the subject of so much misinformation. It isn't against the law to use YouTube and it is not our intent to make it so. Anybody who is acting legally today will not be in violation of the law after the bill is passed. All this bill does is provide that online pirates face the same level of deterrence in the law as is currently faced by other intellectual property pirates of all stripes.”

The PROTECT IP Act, which has no criminal provisions in it at all, targets websites that exist for the sole purpose of violating trademark and copyright law by authorizing courts to order U.S. businesses to stop promoting them or doing business with them. Nobody has a First Amendment right to steal another person’s property, and that is the only “speech” that will be impacted by the bill.

When asked to comment about the concerns that some have raised about the bill and censorship, Chris said: “Whenever legislation deals with blocking access to websites, I understand there will be concerns about protecting Internet freedom and the civil liberties of those using online services. I share these concerns, and that’s why I worked to make sure this bill cannot be used against a website – even if it contains some infringing material – unless the only purpose of the website is to infringe.”

It's Congress' duty to protect American innovation and commercial products in the global market. The entertainment industry is an important part of our nation’s economy and creates thousands of American jobs by producing movies, television shows and music that are consumed around the world. The livelihoods of those who work to create copyrighted works are under attack by those who seek to profit illegally by streaming them online to users around the world.

Since coming to the Senate last year, Chris has been an outspoken advocate for protecting American jobs by safeguarding the patented products and copyrighted materials that sustain those jobs. To learn more about his work as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, click here.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
There's a really good video on YouTube about who this bill isn't meant for us and how there's a decent chance video games will be exempt. I'll summarize a shot part of it. Currently video game developers have the right to send a message to someone on YouTube or someone who is live streaming, or demonstrating their material in anyway; and force them to take it down. That's right if Nintendo wanted they could tell all of the Melee YouTube channels to remove the content. And Blizzard could take down all the WoW videos. But they don't because it helps the industry grow. By having a 500 000 view video of your game on YouTube you are getting free advertising. But if the bill passes the developers will have no choice and the government will have to take down the content. If the people passing the bill realize this there is a good chance that part will be taken out.

Top Bottom