• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more characters?

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
I'll kinda get the feeling there won't be more characters and they already told us all 23 playable characters on the DOJO. It would be very sad when they don't have Luigi, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf and some more newcomers in Brawl. How can we be sure there will be more than those 23 on the DOJO?

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
I'll kinda get the feeling there won't be more characters and they already told us all 23 playable characters on the DOJO.
You could be feeling wrong
It would be very sad when they don't have Luigi Already confirmed by a Nintendo member by accident,
Captain Falcon Probably being in again since his icon was shown on the Dojo
and Ganondorf Main villain, the Bowser to the Link series, probably in with a new moveset and some more newcomers in Brawl. How can we be sure there will be more than those 23 on the DOJO?
Easy, we can know it by looking at the Japanese release date, which says 24th January. Therefore we can't be sure that there only will be 23 characters on the Dojo, I call Captain Falcon as the next updated character
The text in bold are my edits.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
I suppose we can't be sure, but there are too many shoe-ins unannounced for 23 to be the final number, that would seriously suck anyhow

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
That would be insane. Although after him not revealing any characters for two months (I know their filler months, but whatever. He still should have had enough.) I'm really worrying about the size of the roster myself.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I'll kinda get the feeling there won't be more characters and they already told us all 23 playable characters on the DOJO. It would be very sad when they don't have Luigi, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf and some more newcomers in Brawl. How can we be sure there will be more than those 23 on the DOJO?
Well, the DOJO revealed Captain Falcon and Animal Crosser's icons, so we can safely assume that 2 characters are in. And according to other sources, several other characters have been confirmed. We definitely will have more than 23 playable characters, or else this delay and all these impressive gimmicks would be wasted for nothing. Have some faith and believe in Sakurai's words.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
*facepalm* They are not revealing every character from the roster til after the releases. They're only revealing the starters. (Plus 2 guest characters who may be secret). Why would they have a less amount than Melee's?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Besides Sonic and Snake, it's obvious that he's only revealing starters and there's a decent amount of evidence suggesting that there are more. The biggest question you have to ask yourself is if Sakurai has already shown us the whole starting roster, why hasn't he shown us the true character select screen? All he's shown us so far is the select screen that they used at E for All. There's 20 updates until Brawl comes in Japan and I'd be shocked to death if neither Captain Falcon or Shiek were shown in that time frame.

Triple_Factorial

Smash Apprentice
Besides Sonic and Snake, it's obvious that he's only revealing starters and there's a decent amount of evidence suggesting that there are more. The biggest question you have to ask yourself is if Sakurai has already shown us the whole starting roster, why hasn't he shown us the true character select screen? All he's shown us so far is the select screen that they used at E for All. There's 20 updates until Brawl comes in Japan and I'd be shocked to death if neither Captain Falcon or Shiek were shown in that time frame.
If we get any more characters before Judgement Day, it'd be Sheik the day before.

As for the CSS thing, Snake & Sonic are exactly why he hasn't shown it yet: He can't. If he does, he has to reveal that Snake & Sonic are secret characters (which a majority of Smashers do NOT know) which seems to be a bit taboo for him. We both know Snake & Sonic were formally announced/shown in major events beforehand (Sakurai confirmed the latter) so it seems he had no other choice but to update them then b/c it was already formally revealed.

I say Formally b/c of all the E for All "rehashes" we've been getting for a month or so.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If we get any more characters before Judgement Day, it'd be Sheik the day before.

As for the CSS thing, Snake & Sonic are exactly why he hasn't shown it yet: He can't. If he does, he has to reveal that Snake & Sonic are secret characters (which a majority of Smashers do NOT know) which seems to be a bit taboo for him. We both know Snake & Sonic were formally announced/shown in major events beforehand (Sakurai confirmed the latter) so it seems he had no other choice but to update them then b/c it was already formally revealed.

I say Formally b/c of all the E for All "rehashes" we've been getting for a month or so.
But that's the thing, he's already announced that all third party characters will be unlockable and, even without that, has provided a decent amount of evidence that they are through the updates.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
At ease guys, I know everyone (especially me) is anxious to see the next character unveiled. Only time will tell when Sakurai reveals the next one.

Zevox

Smash Lord
How can we be sure there will be more than those 23 on the DOJO?
By using a little common sense? Honestly, there were 26 characters in Melee. Theres no way in the nine Hells that its follow-up would have fewer playable characters than it did, especially given Brawl has been in production for almost three times as long as Melee was. Besides, we all know it would take an astounding level of stupidity for the developers not to have more characters than Melee did, particularly with all the hype surrounding Brawl, and I think we've seen plenty to know they're nowhere near that stupid.

Zevox

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
there will be at least 48 character on Brawl!

Why is this?!

because on SSB were 12 characters (including the hidden ones)
On SSBM were 24 character (the double)
and on SSBB will be 48 character (the double)

what do you think of this?

am I right?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently Brawl IS going to have only 35 characters, and the newcomers are:

1) Lucario (Replacing Mewtwo)
2) "Toon" Link
3) Wolf
4) Captain Olimer

If this is true...whatever...I don't like this roster, it's horrible. I still will get the game, but the Wii will drop some on my priotity list.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Apparently Brawl IS going to have only 35 characters, and the newcomers are:

1) Lucario (Replacing Mewtwo)
2) "Toon" Link
3) Wolf
4) Captain Olimer

If this is true...whatever...I don't like this roster, it's horrible. I still will get the game, but the Wii will drop some on my priotity list.
Don't believe Nya, he was lying. He also said Brawl was going to be delayed but we know for sure that it isn't since Brawl has basically gone gold in production now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't believe Nya, he was lying. He also said Brawl was going to be delayed but we know for sure that it isn't since Brawl has basically gone gold in production now.
This was also stated by the person who predicted the Dragoon...but he didn't say how many characters there were though...

I think the newcomer list will be similar to this though...

...this new "prophet" said Ness is returning...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
This was also stated by the person who predicted the Dragoon...but he didn't say how many characters there were though...

I think the newcomer list will be similar to this though...

...this new "prophet" said Ness is returning...
All of those newcomers will probably appear but still don't trust Nya. Sakurai has said in an interview with Famitsu a while back that there was going to be more characters than people can imagine, and 35 characters really isn't that. So apparently Sakurai lied according to Nya, which I doubt.

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
You say they only reveal starting charcters on the DOJO but that's just your assumption or can you show me the DOJO update when it tells us "We are only showing starting characters before realese!"

You ask me why Brawl would have less characters than Melee even though the development team is even bigger. Because each character is unique so far when Melee only had 20 unique characters and 6 clones and they have so much more other stuff in there to work on that weren't in Melee like the whole Subspace Emissary, Stickers, all online stuff, Assist Trophies, Stage Builder PLUS the stuff that was Melee like Classic Mode, Trophies or Event Mode.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If Brawl was delayed AGAIN and had that roster of characters it'd take me A LOT of convincing to spend a cent on it.:ohwell:

But I am expecting only 35 characters now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
All of those newcomers will probably appear but still don't trust Nya. Sakurai has said in an interview with Famitsu a while back that there was going to be more characters than people can imagine, and 35 characters really isn't that. So apparently Sakurai lied according to Nya, which I doubt.
About that interview, was it ever confirmed? The place the whole thing originated from was a Korean website.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Brawl has been in production for about the same amount of time as Melee. The team is just much bigger.

And we shouldn't have to prove something that's common sense. You should prove why we should trust your "feeling".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Brawl has been in production for about the same amount of time as Melee. The team is just much bigger.

And we shouldn't have to prove something that's common sense. You should prove why we should trust your "feeling".
Actually, apparently they had a lot longer time to make Brawl I forgot the exact amount of time, but it was quite a bit more.

Boofer

Smash Ace
You say they only reveal starting charcters on the DOJO but that's just your assumption or can you show me the DOJO update when it tells us "We are only showing starting characters before realese!"

You ask me why Brawl would have less characters than Melee even though the development team is even bigger. Because each character is unique so far when Melee only had 20 unique characters and 6 clones and they have so much more other stuff in there to work on that weren't in Melee like the whole Subspace Emissary, Stickers, all online stuff, Assist Trophies, Stage Builder PLUS the stuff that was Melee like Classic Mode, Trophies or Event Mode.
You've got to consider how great a part the characters play in a game like this. The fact that he makes polls about characters should hint that the characters are a MAJOR part of the game. The team KNOWS that the fans are worried about who's going to be in the game more than any other aspect of the game. Don't forget that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is no real WTF element of this roster...

It's kinda stupid....

Smash legacy

Smash Apprentice
cant wait to see ganondorf i mean a couple of people already said that hes in from nsiders and the voice actors said he was in, he probally looks really cool. They will for sure have more characters the more characters the more advertizment which = more money and better bussiness choice.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How can you think only 23 characters in Brawl? Thats LESS than Melee.

Plus, Sakurai normally doesnt reveal hidden characters. Snake and Sonic are hidden, but were revealed for hype purposes.

There will be 35-40. Mark my words.

Top Bottom