• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more characters?

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
Yes but they have to work on so much more stuff than in Melee. I say i doubt there will be anymore playable characters in Brawl than the 23 we see on the DOJO.

Machete

Smash Ace
We haven't Ganondorf yet. We haven't LUIGI yet. We haven't Captain Falcon yet.

So, we don't know the full roster yet. That's obvious, IMO.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Man this is dissapointing.
The fact that theres only 1 last space on the dojo for newcomers is crap. If this theory is true (NOT) then that means no more veterans either. They'll keep making more columns.

I'm expecting Lucario (replacing mewtwo), Ganon (confirmed via interview), Krystal, and maybe Ridley. Not that I want these 4 in. Well Lucario yes but not all the others.
I'm just predicting.

Yes Ganon will look cool in clothes. That armor is awesome. But he'll remain the ugly freak he is.

I say there will be 37-42 chars

Machete

Smash Ace
I'm expecting Lucario (replacing mewtwo)
IMO, Lucario will be in, but NOT replacing Mewtwo. An uninportant and generic pokémon (who's only popular because he stars in one movie) replacing the most well-known legendary pokémon which already has an original moveset (who's also one of the main characters in two movies)?

domriver

Smash Lord
You know given the delays that Sakurai has placed upon us. I really expect AT LEAST 38 characters but that is still really pushing it. I am looking at a total of 40 to 45. I'll be content. However, anything less than 40 im like eh..................

Algus Underdunk

Smash Journeyman
...why in the world would you possibly feel that?

Sakurai himself acknowledged hidden characters and the urge to not have them spoiled for people too soon, so why would he himself then go and start posting hidden characters before the game had even come out?

Just be patient, Luigi, Captain Falcon, and all the rest, aren't going anywhere.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Yes but they have to work on so much more stuff than in Melee. I say i doubt there will be anymore playable characters in Brawl than the 23 we see on the DOJO.
I think I'm going to need to quote myself again

*facepalm* They are not revealing every character from the roster til after the releases. They're only revealing the starters. (Plus 2 guest characters who may be secret). Why would they have a less amount than Melee's?
The game has A LOT of potential to have at least 35 characters in the roster. There's no excuse to have less characters in the roster than Melee if they've worked on Brawl twice longer than Melee (28? months > 10 months). Characters like Ridley ,Krystal, Lucario, Ganondorf, and pretty much a lot have the potential to have very unique movesets. And the DOJO site doesn't have the unlockable Melee characters in yet and some of them are not clones.

I think you're worrying too much about this.

And think about this for a minute.
SSB64 = Starting Roster: 8 - Unlockables: 4
SSBM = Starting Roster: 14 - Unlockables: 11
SSBB - Starting Roster: Most likely 20 as every Newcomer save Sonic and Snake are proven a starter if you pay attention to the box art and the Event Matches (yes look at the Co-Op ones too. King Dedede is PLAYABLE)

EDIT: Also, why would they leave out Jigglypuff, Luigi and Captain Falcon?!

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
Again show me the update when he told us that he only reveals starting characters before the realese. Why would he have all 3 Kirby characters as starters and no unlockable ones? Why would Captain Falcon be a secret character in Brawl again when he was a starter in Melee? Why would he reveal only a few secret characters like Sonic? Don't say it's to generate hype because if he showed us Lucario, Geno and Ridley now that would create even more hype and would sell even more copies of the game.

Cowlord

Smash Rookie
Of course there will be more. I"m sure they're only revealing the starters.

Machete

Smash Ace
Why would he reveal only a few secret characters like Sonic?.
Because they're 3rd party. :ohwell:

Oh, and assume this: Luigi won't be excluded. If Luigi hasn't been revealed yet, it's because he'll be unlockable.

Naoshi

Again show me the update when he told us that he only reveals starting characters before the realese.
*ahem* He didn't directly stated it but he DID proved it. Look at the ****ing boxart and the Event Matches.

Why would he have all 3 Kirby characters as starters and no unlockable ones?
Why were there 3 Mario characters as starters in Melee? And no one said there isn't any unlockable Kirby characters. There IS a possibility of another Kirby character but very likely as an unlockable.

Why would Captain Falcon be a secret character in Brawl again when he was a starter in Melee?
This is actually a good question. But we never stated he's a secret character. He could be that last veteran to be revealed before the release.

Why would he reveal only a few secret characters like Sonic? Don't say it's to generate hype because if he showed us Lucario, Geno and Ridley now that would create even more hype and would sell even more copies of the game.
It's for hype. Geno, Ridley and Licario's hype are NOTHING compared to Sonic's hype. Sonic was there to soften the delay news too.

Not doubting those 3 would be in Brawl but how the hell would you know they're in the game?

Cowlord

Smash Rookie
I almost guarantee that they won't leave out any characters that were in the original game....Which is the characters that were unlockables in the game. *COUGH*Jiggly Puff, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Ness*COUGH*.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
*ahem* He didn't directly stated it but he DID proved it. Look at the ****ing boxart and the Event Matches.
This thread Wins for me but also makes me very angry. He said right after that that he wasn't going to be too hung up about secret characters! You're just pulling things out of nowhere to support yourself. Why is it so hard to believe there will be less characters? In fact if you think about it, it takes a long time to develop original characters. They had way less original characters in Melee. So if you count no clones than Brawl has more original characters than ever. I wonder if that's what Sakurai meant by 'More characters than ever'.

Naoshi

This thread Wins for me but also makes me very angry. He said right after that that he wasn't going to be too hung up about secret characters! You're just pulling things out of nowhere to support yourself. Why is it so hard to believe there will be less characters?
I'm not pulling things out of nowhere. You completely miss the point or you just don't plain get it.
They NEVER have secret characters on boxarts. And they NEVER allowed secret characters you haven't unlocked playable in Event matches until you unlock them.

Now tell me how is that "out of nowhere"? Next time think before you start making such assumptions. It pisses me off when people say that crap.

In fact if you think about it, it takes a long time to develop original characters. They had way less original characters in Melee.
About...19 characters are original in Melee. (Luigi counts since his movesets are actually different)

And how many newcomers do we have that are original? About 9 excluding Zero Suit Samus and Lucas. Now take every original character we know so far from the smash series. 19 + 9? 28.

They can EASILY make the roster bigger than Melee with all of the original characters. So I REALLY doubt they're going to make a big fool of themselves to make the roster smaller. Also there's plenty of characters who has the potential to be in without clones. Now who's pulling crap out of nowhere?

And honestly, there's no freaking way in hell they showed the full roster on the site. Where's Luigi, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and more characters that has a high chance of being in Brawl?

Also, have you forgotten that they did the same with the melee site? From what I've heard, they didn't show off any secret characters til after the release.

Oh and by the way...The development in the game unlike Melee has went on for 2 years if I'm not mistaken. Melee only took 10 months.

So if you count no clones than Brawl has more original characters than ever. I wonder if that's what Sakurai meant by 'More characters than ever'.
Yeah, that's just speculation. And that sounds bull.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'll kinda get the feeling there won't be more characters and they already told us all 23 playable characters on the DOJO. It would be very sad when they don't have Luigi, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf and some more newcomers in Brawl. How can we be sure there will be more than those 23 on the DOJO?
Lol, how did I miss this thread? You gotta be really stupid to think Brawl will have less characters than Melee.

Spartan_187

Smash Apprentice
"Come again? I'm sorry. I'm fighting the Cove
And if there WERE at least 2 more characters to be revealed before the game came out, he would make the page longer so more characters would fit on it.
I think 35-40 (just like everyone else) with maybe 19-23 starters.
I also saw a pretty good IDEA on a Youtube video: Use the E for all select screen, and make the spaces smaller so more character spaces could fit around it. When the person showed it on the video, he ended up with 38 character spaces.

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
Oh, and assume this: Luigi won't be excluded. If Luigi hasn't been revealed yet, it's because he'll be unlockable.
Ok what now? I still doubt there will be anymore playable characters.

yh because if you knew everything you'll be less surprised right?
Yes but why drop the all the big bombs before the realese like Sonic, Diddy or King Dedede?

Why were there 3 Mario characters as starters in Melee?

This is actually a good question. But we never stated he's a secret character. He could be that last veteran to be revealed before the release.

Not doubting those 3 would be in Brawl but how the hell would you know they're in the game?
Because Mario is Nintendos biggest most well known franchise and unbelievable bigger than the Kirby franchise.

2 months without anyone and then a Veteran? I doubt it.

They won't be in because like i said in my whole topic i think there won't be anymore playable characters.

Lol, how did I miss this thread? You gotta be really stupid to think Brawl will have less characters than Melee.
And i think you are really stupid to insult someone because of something like this.

I can recall Sakurai putting on an old post after DDD, "I'm not going to worry much about characters anymore." I assume that he will not give away anymore untill SSBB's release.
Or it mean that there won't be anymore, that's what it actually sounds like to me.

Machete

Smash Ace
Yes but why drop the all the big bombs before the realese like Sonic, Diddy or King Dedede?
Krystal, Ridley, Geno or Megaman aren't big bombs?

If he revealed them before the release, it's because they're starters. He did the exact same thing with Melee. Dedede, Meta Knight and Kirby are all starters.

Sonic is the most awaited character BY FAR, and he's 3rd party. That's why Sakurai reveal him before the release.

Luigi and Ganondorf aren't confirmed yet, and they'll be in. That's freaking obvious.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
You say they only reveal starting charcters on the DOJO but that's just your assumption or can you show me the DOJO update when it tells us "We are only showing starting characters before realese!"

You ask me why Brawl would have less characters than Melee even though the development team is even bigger. Because each character is unique so far when Melee only had 20 unique characters and 6 clones and they have so much more other stuff in there to work on that weren't in Melee like the whole Subspace Emissary, Stickers, all online stuff, Assist Trophies, Stage Builder PLUS the stuff that was Melee like Classic Mode, Trophies or Event Mode.
Look, everyone knows the amount of characters is -WAY- more important than stickers, Assist Trophies, and even Stage Builder and Subspace Emissary. Use your head. Don't you think the -first- thing Sakurai would take care of is that we have a gigantic roster?

Besides, he already said in the wi-fi update that most hidden characters would be unlocked through the SSE. That means 70-90% of them, and there's still some to unlock elsewhere. Don't be stupid, there is no reason to get rid of Falcon, Ganondorf, Luigi, etc.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I dont really wanna flame you but how could you even think that how many months in develpo ment and then your worried there will be less characters. Oh me Oh My

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'll kinda get the feeling there won't be more characters and they already told us all 23 playable characters on the DOJO. It would be very sad when they don't have Luigi, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf and some more newcomers in Brawl. How can we be sure there will be more than those 23 on the DOJO?
Look bro, Sakurai is trying to mindgame you by not confirming anymore characters. Don't fall for his tricks. I know he has yet to reveal the real creme of the crop. And as far as Luigi, Falcon, and Ganon go, well, they're pretty much already in there. No way would he even think about getting rid of some of Melee's best fighters.

Naoshi

Is it me or are you missing the point or are you really ignorant? It's VERY possible that they're only showing ONLY the starting roster. AND WE ALREADY EXPLAINED WHY SONIC AND SNAKE WERE ON THE SITE AS EXCEPTIONS! Snake was there to prove a possibility of 3rd parties and Sonic was there to soften the delay.

Because Mario is Nintendos biggest most well known franchise and unbelievable bigger than the Kirby franchise.

2 months without anyone and then a Veteran? I doubt it.
Seriously, look at the Co-op events, events and the boxart. EVERYONE BUT Sonic and Snake are confirmed a starter. And to add extra bonus points: Dedede is playable in one of the first co-op events. And Metaknight is playable in one of the first normal events plus he's on the boxart.

Watch, when the full roster is revealed, you will know how much we are right.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
You have got to be kidding.

Of course there might not be as many characters as I hoped (40 or so.) but to say that there aren't anymore characters at all is absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom