• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Improving

authorless

Smash Rookie
I know there might be some post similar to this one, and trust me i have seen them all.
First of all there are 2 things i want to say , first, sorry if i write something in a wrong way, or if i make grammar error , English is not my first lenguage and i'm still studying it, second, this is my first smash (Without considering Brawl) , i have been playing since the first day, and so far i have more than 350 hours.
I want to improve in this game no matter what, i watched countless video and sperimented eveything , first in Lab, then aginst bots and lastly aginst real people online, then i watched hours and hours of streaming and i also asked questions about : Mechanics, General Gameplay, Tips and Tricks.
I spent countless hours trying to learn string and trying to read the opponent moves, and i even read post about how to train! (Yes i found many helpfull post in the forum).
I don't pretend to be the best player in the wolrd , but sometime i feel like i'm the worst, i lose aginst people who basically do the same move over and over, and i also know they are about to do them; I know the theory , but when i try to apply it seems like it doesn't work , not enough atleast ,almost every fight is a close one, but somehow i always find myself on the loser side.
I don't know what to do , i'm frustrated , sad and confused, any tips on how to get good? or i reached a limit that i cannot surpass?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's easy to become frustrated or upset when you lose, but you can't let that prevent you from reaching your goal. Everyone has the same goal. They want to win. They want to be the best. If you're close to winning, but you end up losing, it can be frustrating. Today I was trying to reach a goal for my GSP with Dark Samus. I decided to stop after lag began interfering. I would get so close to my goal, but then someone would just defeat me and I'd have to start over.

There is no limit, except the limit you put on yourself. You may very well just need to persevere. What I'd encourage you to do is go to Smashcords (https://smashcords.com). Find anyone in the SSBU link on the top left of the site and ask to do friendlies. Ask people to give you tips on what you can do to improve once they see how you play. Hopefully you'll receive advice. If not, record your matches and watch what you can do and what to expect from characters you fight.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Same, I finally gave up on smash today. Tired of getting my ass kicked over and over. Really wish I didn't buy into the hype and spend $60 on this game. I legitimately hate this game. The single player is extremely repetitive as well and I have no local friends to play with so this game has zero value to me. I'm never playing another smash game again. Going back to Street fighter and Tekken where I can actually win.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Same, I finally gave up on smash today. Tired of getting my *** kicked over and over. Really wish I didn't buy into the hype and spend $60 on this game. I legitimately hate this game. The single player is extremely repetitive as well and I have no local friends to play with so this game has zero value to me. I'm never playing another smash game again. Going back to Street fighter and Tekken where I can actually win.
Woah woah woah, u can do good at those games but not smash? What.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
They’re different games that require different skill sets. I don’t like the stigma that Smash is “easier” than other fighting games. It’s not, it’s just a different set of skills and more freestyle and creative part of your brain you’re using. Harder tech doesn’t equal a harder game

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Thats what i'm thinking lol. My 2 babies are tekken and smash, and I thought I'd never hear this ever be a thing considering how much harder tekken is. I don't blame you for going back though Matoi, tekken is hella fun man. If you ever get in the mood for smash we'll be here with open arms.

long text
You, my son, my brother. I think i can help you somewhat. First of all you need to understand that this game is more forgiving at a low level. Things like lowered hit stun, parry being less rewarding and harder to pull off than the mechanic that it replaced, things like that have made it a wee bit harder to master a certain level of play (and believe me, the game is just starting out, we're just scratching the surface of our huge meta.) than it was in previous games. The best advice that I can give you is: If you're losing to someone really hard, if you just can't overcome something, if something is irritating you, record that match and watch it later. Watch out specifically for the parts that bother you and think to yourself: "what could I have done to not get hit there? how could I have countered? does my opponent's strategy have some kind of weakness that I could attempt to exploit?"

A good example of this is K. Rool's crown. It has armor and it's a great boomerang, but if you catch him throwing it, you can just rush him down, grab him, and since throws have invincibility you can just throw as the crown is coming back, and now you're juggling a fat crock.

Don't let it get to you though, work on fundamentals, practice your moves, if you're getting slapped consider how to avoid or counter the situation, don't be afraid to experiment. It's better to lose and learn than to lose and wonder why you can't beat someone throwing out loads of moves.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, different skillsets and gameplay styles. Now don't get me wrong I'm no elite player in those games, but I have all the fundamentals down and can win at least 60% of my games within my rank. In smash I keep getting bounced all around the screen and cant defend. I actually find combos far easier in those games too compared to smash because in smash no matter what I do I cant short hop or get my tilt attacks out consistenly without accidentally jumping or smash attacking

Last edited:

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Thats what i'm thinking lol. My 2 babies are tekken and smash, and I thought I'd never hear this ever be a thing considering how much harder tekken is. I don't blame you for going back though Matoi, tekken is hella fun man. If you ever get in the mood for smash we'll be here with open arms.
Hey thanks man! You actually made me want to come back to the game eventually. Maybe in a month or two I'll come back and run some friendlies with you guys.

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
no matter what I do I cant short hop or get my tilt attacks out consistenly without accidentally jumping or smash attacking
Just some suggestions, please ignore if you already know or have done all of this!!

It might help if you change your control scheme to tilt stick, if you have not yet. If the C-Stick is set to Tilt Attacks, you should be able to get tilt attacks out without an accidental smash attack. Also, if you're trying to u-tilt and you accidentally jump, do you have tap jump on? If so, and you turn it off, that should also fix that problem.

For short hop, I've seen it explained that you press and release the jump button within 3 frames. This helped me visualize how short of a time I needed to press it, and can consistently do it now (after practice). Also, they just added a new mechanic in the 2.0.0 patch where if you press two jump buttons at the same time, it'll automatically short hop. You can also press one jump button + attack at the same time to automatically do a rising short hop aerial. You can always remap a jump button if need be to make this easier as well.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Just some suggestions, please ignore if you already know or have done all of this!!

It might help if you change your control scheme to tilt stick, if you have not yet. If the C-Stick is set to Tilt Attacks, you should be able to get tilt attacks out without an accidental smash attack. Also, if you're trying to u-tilt and you accidentally jump, do you have tap jump on? If so, and you turn it off, that should also fix that problem.

For short hop, I've seen it explained that you press and release the jump button within 3 frames. This helped me visualize how short of a time I needed to press it, and can consistently do it now (after practice). Also, they just added a new mechanic in the 2.0.0 patch where if you press two jump buttons at the same time, it'll automatically short hop. You can also press one jump button + attack at the same time to automatically do a rising short hop aerial. You can always remap a jump button if need be to make this easier as well.
Thanks man! I never heard of this before, will definitely try this out in training and see how it works!

Uffe

Smash Hero
Stop making winning your main focus. If you're constantly getting hit by predictable attacks, it's time you start figuring out a solution around those tactics. It's not expected of you to learn the match up of your opponent immediately. These things take time. It looks like you use Luigi. Search for the Super Smash Bros. player named "Elegant". If you're training against bots, or computer players, don't make killing them the objective. Just use them to practice your combos on. Make sure you're not running right at your opponent with attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue you're having and why things aren't working. You can't just learn combos and then suddenly use them on your opponents. You have to find openings to connect these combos. In order to do you, you'll need to space yourself properly and then take action when you see your opponent mess up. Or if they're being predictable, take advantage of their predictability.

BigPony

Smash Rookie
I think the issue is here is you're pushing yourself to be "good" and not actually having an experience the game game was designed to create. FUN! Try and have fun in everything you do, wether its training or online matches.
Taking matches/the game too seriously will just lead you to burn out if you aren't having fun in the first place.
Learn to enjoy the game and have fun! In turn you will play more and get better.

Keglu

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8440-5021-2355
First, you must realise that you won't win all the matches you play. Then, you have to try to know your errors. Save your replays and try to look at them to detect your flaws. Play a lot, try to have fun (that's the most important thing, you are not here to study but to have fun). Once you start having a little fun, you will star winning a little bit more because you will be with less stress and you will have more self-confidence. In those fun matches, start trying to apply some of fixes to your flaws. Another option is to play in Battle Arenas, you won't be seeing your GSP (and that helps a lot to be a little bit calm).

(Sorry if my english is not the best.)

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Hey OP, I know this game can be frustrating. When I play quickplay and I try to up my GSP, I always end up getting frustrated when I lose. There are definitely a large number of people that are better than me and I accept that. In order to be the best of the best you really need more experience. 350 hours is excellent experience, but I would take a guess that a lot of pros started back in Melee or Brawl and have racked up thousands of hours of experience which attribute to their skills in Ultimate.

It sounds to me like you need 2 things to continue improving.

1. A sparing partner (someone who can tell you what you're doing right and wrong.)
2. Mental fortitude

You can find a sparing partner on these forums or on smashcords.com as Crystanium suggested above. Your goal should be analyzing everything you do and improving based on observing previous errors.

As for the mental fortitude, I highly recommend reading "The Inner Game of Tennis". I've been touting this book across these forums because it really does a great job of teaching you how to control emotions and allow your body to achieve the highest level of performance it possibly can.

Next time youre playing, dont think "oh crap im losing" or "good im winning", think "I need to force my opponent off the stage." You should try to avoid making your goal winning because it puts pressure on you if you lose.

As I said to GamerZard in another thread "There is no winning or losing. Only Smash."

Same, I finally gave up on smash today. Tired of getting my *** kicked over and over. Really wish I didn't buy into the hype and spend $60 on this game. I legitimately hate this game. The single player is extremely repetitive as well and I have no local friends to play with so this game has zero value to me. I'm never playing another smash game again. Going back to Street fighter and Tekken where I can actually win.
I guess everyone has their preferences!

Stop making winning your main focus. If you're constantly getting hit by predictable attacks, it's time you start figuring out a solution around those tactics. It's not expected of you to learn the match up of your opponent immediately. These things take time. It looks like you use Luigi. Search for the Super Smash Bros. player named "Elegant". If you're training against bots, or computer players, don't make killing them the objective. Just use them to practice your combos on. Make sure you're not running right at your opponent with attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue you're having and why things aren't working. You can't just learn combos and then suddenly use them on your opponents. You have to find openings to connect these combos. In order to do you, you'll need to space yourself properly and then take action when you see your opponent mess up. Or if they're being predictable, take advantage of their predictability.
Yeah this exactly. Practice combos. Practice avoiding getting hit. Practice landing one attack at a time. Practice the mechanics needed to win, and the wins will come naturally.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
sounds like my experience, had my ridley up to 2 million now back down to the 100 thousands and i think i am only winning 30 percent of the time :(. . 100 thousand is pretty bad out of the 12 million who bought the game.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
sounds like my experience, had my ridley up to 2 million now back down to the 100 thousands and i think i am only winning 30 percent of the time :(. . 100 thousand is pretty bad out of the 12 million who bought the game.
Hey where did you find 12 million? I read that Nintendo sold 3 million copies in like the first 10 days or something, but I was trying to look for a total as of today and couldnt find one.

Also: I honestly dont think 100 thousands is really that bad. You may compare that to 12 million, but not everyone has online so you have to account for that. Plus, i really dont think that GPS is literal ranking vs the rest of the world. Nintendo has a calculation that somehow determines that number. I heard that a bunch of pros all drove their GSP down to 1 so they could match up against each other in quickplay. If this were a literal ranking system, that wouldnt be possible.

Father Kelso

Smash Cadet
I would just say to focus on learning only one skill at a time. If you try to learn 10 things at once, you end up learning 0 things. For example, maybe you want to get better at ledge trumps. In your online matches, focus soley on doing ledge trumps, aside from other basic skills you've already mastered. Do ledge trumps even when it doesn't make sense, because that will also teach you when NOT to do ledge trumps. Eventually, it will become second nature and you will be able to do ledge trumps without thinking about it too much, kind of like how you don't really think about using your shield for many situations. Then you can move on to the next skill.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I always watch his stream! he is so good! like, i have never seen such a good Luigi Player!
Maybe if you can, ask Elegant for some advice on how to better your character. Hopefully he'll give you some tips.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Hey where did you find 12 million? I read that Nintendo sold 3 million copies in like the first 10 days or something, but I was trying to look for a total as of today and couldnt find one.

Also: I honestly dont think 100 thousands is really that bad. You may compare that to 12 million, but not everyone has online so you have to account for that. Plus, i really dont think that GPS is literal ranking vs the rest of the world. Nintendo has a calculation that somehow determines that number. I heard that a bunch of pros all drove their GSP down to 1 so they could match up against each other in quickplay. If this were a literal ranking system, that wouldnt be possible.

I geuss it counts digital

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/31/super-smash-bros-ultimate-12-million-copies-sold/

Top Bottom